Lightning Returns What in the world is Square thinking!?!?!

The second run is more fun because you can upgrade weapons! Also, hard is no joke. I couldn't beat the final boss (the + version) on hard my first run. Had to power up more to beat him. You'll see :)

As for your spoiler above, I'll post a response if I can figure out how to post spoilers...lol

As for your spoiler above, I'll post a response if I can figure out how to post spoilers...lol

type in [ spoiler ] whatever you wanna say then [ /spoiler ] to close it (no spaces obviously :elmo: )

But yeah I am doing hard... and now I see why everyone is saying do the main quests as quickly as possible on hard... on Medium I could still do most of them no problem... on hard... :damon:

Japan is a very non-religious country. The concept of god over here is a bit different from back in the US. Many people are more into "believe in ourselves instead of a higher being" mentality. This game illustrates that point to an extent.

Did you beat the two hidden bosses on normal? (Both in Dead Dunes. One only appears in the hidden dungeon if you beat enough quests. On hard, they too are much harder. MUCH harder.

I pretty much agree with the opening post. In my opinion it was terrible, the thing that finally got me to stop playing it was Hope's endless talking. What annoyed me was that his dialogue was at least semi-important to the story, but he kept interrupting himself. Other times enemies would appear and Lightning would get rushed, and after the battle, Hope wouldn't carry on talking. I think that was a design flaw to be honest, they didn't think that one through, specially as the game randomly decides whether he should carry on talking after the battle or not to finish off what he was saying. But yeah, pointless quests, battles that aren't very rewarding. Like I said on another thread, the game left a bad taste in my mouth and like Ubisoft with Watch_Dogs, I hope Final Fantasy XV will make me feel better. But heck, the remaster of Final Fantasy X and X-2 is coming out on PS3 in about a month's time so that should make me feel better - while sending me down memory lane, as I got ridiculously emotional over that.

One more run and my attack power will be at 9999. :) I love beating up the bosses in like 3 hits. lol

yeah...this game is whatever, it has good ideas, but why would you make your exp based off of side quests ONLY?

and time management is a jerk. not too bad, but for a story i already hate, and even the voice actors sound tired of portraying these characters, i can't stand from moving on.

Hi all, first time posting but I felt compelled to... I am heartbroken :-(

Big fan of the XIII characters and am generally an avid final fantasy fan.. And after waiting with barely contained enthusiasm for LR I am struggling to even play it. It will be a chore that I will not relish and for the sake of completion.

Instead of the emotive final swan song that was to be, I will be glad to see the back of this trilogy and hope that Square will get back to RPG's

Finished the game for like the 11th time now...lol Lost count. Freaking LOVE this game (and the whole 13 series). One more run and I should have 9999 attack power. Not sure if it goes over that or not, we'll find out soon.

I haven't played or even seen much of LR.

What the OP states, however, it seems like since you are alone in combat and don't gain experience in battles, you are presumably supposed to avoid battles- in the context of surviving the mission and not going in like a team.
It would also explain the limitations of items and so forth.

But that's just speculation. I really don't know, haven't gotten around to the game.
I do know that with FFXIII, they have aimed to make each one substantially different to avoid monotony. This is evident just by the first two, so I'm sure the third would be just as well.

Finished the game for like the 11th time now...lol Lost count. Freaking LOVE this game (and the whole 13 series). One more run and I should have 9999 attack power. Not sure if it goes over that or not, we'll find out soon.

I honestly think at this point, that you are simply saying that and not fully meaning it (lying) OR you have not played a final fantasy other than 13.

either way...this game is seriously unbalanced. could've ended in a bang REGARDLESS of the stupidest Final Fantasy ending to date. I honestly thought it had some potential, but god do the monologues suck, these characters are horrible, no 13 fan or hater can justify the way these characters act.

I honestly think at this point, that you are simply saying that and not fully meaning it (lying) OR you have not played a final fantasy other than 13.

either way...this game is seriously unbalanced. could've ended in a bang REGARDLESS of the stupidest Final Fantasy ending to date. I honestly thought it had some potential, but god do the monologues suck, these characters are horrible, no 13 fan or hater can justify the way these characters act.

What am I lying about? Want a screen shot of my stats?? Or am I lying about loving the 13 series including LR?

I have been playing FF since the very first one (I'm 35 now). I enjoyed most of them with a few exceptions. 8 and 12 for example didn't click with me. Gave them a fair chance though. Also, haven't played the online ones (11 and 14).

Soooo.... where am I being untruthful?? Here are two screenshots of my current stats. Would I be lying if I spent the last 4 months playing the hell out of this game to get this high?

I also don't appreciate being called a liar, especially when you have NOTHING to back it up with. Whatever, I came here to post about a game I like. Not to argue.

Now, back on topic, if anyone wants to talk about the game itself, let's talk! :)

I will say that as far as how the characters "act" though, I have never heard the English voice acting. I played the series in Japanese (I'm American, but translate for a living). In Japanese, everything was fine for me. The characters acted how I expected them to. Were there some corny moments? Sure. Most games do have times like that. Overall, I found it to be a great game, I liked the story, and found the ending to be not only visually beautiful, but a fine conclusion.

Last edited by a moderator:
nope, i'm tlaking about the lie about the love you give for XIII.

but the characters personality are pretty bland and this is both in Japanese, but i'm sure most westerners can notice if its not your native tongue. But the worst part is how Lightning has changed. she's just going through the motions in this game, and so is every character here, Hope for one, everyone else was just boring...the story just going through the motions.

but another flaw is leveling up is based on tedious quests contrary to RPG fighting enemies, so far fighting enemies is just a little bonus.

but the characters personality are pretty bland and this is both in Japanese, but i'm sure most westerners can notice if its not your native tongue. But the worst part is how Lightning has changed. she's just going through the motions in this game, and so is every character here, Hope for one, everyone else was just boring...the story just going through the motions.

but another flaw is leveling up is based on tedious quests contrary to RPG fighting enemies, so far fighting enemies is just a little bonus.

Are you even playing this game razberry? of course shes just going through the motions, she has to, wether she likes it or not its what she has to do, she explains all of that. she has no emotions because shes basically a puppet, a puppet has no emotions, therefore Lightning cant have any.

Do you realize how ridiculous you sound when you accuse me of lying, saying that I love a game? WHO ARE YOU to tell me what I love and don't? Just because you don't and because you find certain flaws, means that all others either must think the same way, or are liars? Wow, I pity you. Must be tough going through life being that self-centered and with that much built up negative energy.

What part of "to each their own" do you not get? You don't like it and pointed out why. Fine. I pointed out why I DO like it a lot. You see the story, acting, etc. as bad. I see it as good. See how easy this is? It's called having an opinion, and the sooner you get it through your head that we are each entitled to our OWN opinions, the better.

Seriously, HOW DARE you call me a liar?

For the 100th time, I will repeat myself. I LOVED THIS GAME. I have been playing since November when it was released here. I came to this forum to chat about the positive aspects of it instead of crapping all over like you consistently do. You're not going to change anyone's opinion. People like it or they don't. You have absolutely zero right to tell people they are wrong or liars for how they interpret or receive a game.

Are you even playing this game razberry? of course shes just going through the motions, she has to, wether she likes it or not its what she has to do, she explains all of that. she has no emotions because shes basically a puppet, a puppet has no emotions, therefore Lightning cant have any.

Exactly. The way she acts and lack of emotions is what I found intriguing about her and made the emotional finale in the ending that much more powerful. At least that is my interpretation. The whole point of LR is Lighting discovering a part of herself that she had misplaced. Love the character, love the story, love the ending. Just my humble opinion though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol, replaying XIII, it's not like that was any good either. Walking backwards and forwards through long corridors to upgrade a linear upgrade system, watching Lightning hit people and act like a bitch. Seriously why did they make her Jesus? Imagine if the main character was Sazh; Sazh Returns: Final Fantasy XIII. Yeah I feel better now.

Do you realize how ridiculous you sound when you accuse me of lying, saying that I love a game?
do you realize how ridiculous "you" sound?

WHO ARE YOU to tell me what I love and don't? Just because you don't and because you find certain flaws, means that all others either must think the same way, or are liars? Wow, I pity you. Must be tough going through life being that self-centered and with that much built up negative energy.

What part of "to each their own" do you not get?[.quote] you dont get that either, and thats because you spam your love in areas where theres a discussion literally about the

You don't like it and pointed out why. Fine. I pointed out why I DO like it a lot. You see the story, acting, etc. as bad. I see it as good. See how easy this is? It's called having an opinion, and the sooner you get it through your head that we are each entitled to our OWN opinions, the better.
Nope.....you havent really provided much of a discussion based on it. ALSO, you tend to say typical things about it. Its kind of hard to believe you.
Seriously, HOW DARE you call me a liar?For the 100th time, I will repeat myself. I LOVED THIS GAME. I have been playing since November when it was released here. I came to this forum to chat about the positive aspects of it instead of crapping all over like you consistently do. You're not going to change anyone's opinion. People like it or they don't. You have absolutely zero right to tell people they are wrong or liars for how they interpret or receive a game.
You havent really provided that. And trust me, 1st ammendment and everything. its really funny when people use "you have no right..." in a forum and referring to an opinion.

i dont own it, but my friend has it and i've been playing it. but tis been really lack luster. And this sounds too....how you say...sarcastic...you're trying to defend poor writing with poor reasoning. Also, this has nothing to do with Lightning, but every character in the series that has returned.
Exactly. The way she acts and lack of emotions is what I found intriguing about her and made the emotional finale in the ending that much more powerful. At least that is my interpretation. The whole point of LR is Lighting discovering a part of herself that she had misplaced. Love the character, love the story, love the ending. Just my humble opinion though.
Her lack of emotion seems to contradict both FF13 and 13-2. But like i said with Zeroxys. But also, at a objective perspective, did this side of Lightning really needed to exist? She was a character who was always tough, and although i didn't welcome it for her poor background, she didn't live upto it in this game because not some retconning just so that they can find a way to bring back whats-her-name.

BUT you can't objectively say that everything that has happened is "good" whether you "enjoy it" or not. For example: I enjoy Dirge of Cerberus, despite the fact that objectively as a final fantasy game it wasn't that good, and the story was lacking.

But the difference in Dirge of Cerberus is that its a spin-off/sequel while Lightning Returns definitely tries to be 13-3.

With Lightning Returns i already know the ending was going to suck because i saw it but i also thought maybe the character development can make up for it. But it really didn't, the lines were really cheesy...ALL the characters are going through the motions, and the progress in the game is not through battles, its through tedious quests.

Objectively whether you enjoy it or not, you can't deny the system and the characters could've been balanced.

So I got to the Wild Lands and I just saved the White Chocobo and I'm just about to end day 4. While this game certainly is alot different from the others, it certainly isn't the "worst game ever" like some have deemed it as. It started off pissing me off because of racing against the clock and everything, but once I eased into it a bit I just went with the flow of things. I've done 5 side quests in Luxerion and I've only touched 2 from Yusnaan. I'm not completely comfortable rushing against the clock so I've basically stuck to the main story quests and advancing the story.

All in all this game is holding my interest and has me playing it. So obviously its done something right.

So I got to the Wild Lands and I just saved the White Chocobo and I'm just about to end day 4. While this game certainly is alot different from the others, it certainly isn't the "worst game ever" like some have deemed it as. It started off pissing me off because of racing against the clock and everything, but once I eased into it a bit I just went with the flow of things. I've done 5 side quests in Luxerion and I've only touched 2 from Yusnaan. I'm not completely comfortable rushing against the clock so I've basically stuck to the main story quests and advancing the story.

All in all this game is holding my interest and has me playing it. So obviously its done something right.

There is a learning curve, for sure. Glad to hear you're enjoying it though! Once you figure out how to stop time and replenish GP by fighting, you'll find you have a TON of time to do everything. Just takes some getting used to!

I don't think he's lying so what if he loves this game more then the community I have played and completed FF9 around 7 times myself and I am planning another playthrough sometime soon (Plus FF9 is miles longer of a game) I am happy to see someone loving the title.

I can agree with you saying it is a bit unbalanced and the ending honestly didn't bother me and it wasn't overly stupid. It wasn't a completely generic happy ever after but close. The monologues do drag agreed as well and the characters are a bit one dimensional but I have played far worse RPGs then this by far.

The great thing about RPGs is that they all reach people in different ways. Some click, some don't. Some bring forth tears or laughter, some don't. Same can be said of books, movies, etc. I can't tell you how many movies I liked that many hated. Or how many I hated that received critical acclaim (Hurt Locker comes to mind... hated it). That being said, yes, I do love this game and yes, many don't.

Different tastes rock :) :) :)

Back