Weird things you do and can't stop doing!

When I was a little kid I developed... I don't wanna say a tic, but for a lack of better words, a tic? Anyway, when I was a kid I would push my upper lip with my bottom lip to scrunch up and rub against my nose and sometimes flare my nostrils while I did it. :tearjoy:

I used to have a really back tic when I was about ten, I think. Maybe eleven or twelve. It doesn't matter. It developed not long after my maternal grandparents died so I was probably feeling very insecure. I would sort of stretch my neck and open my jaw in a weird way. It was only when my parents caught me on camera that I realised how bad it looked (like the alien bug in Men in Black inside human skin). Thankfully I do not do that now. I worked at suppressing it and I don't think it was even a problem a few years later.

That said, I think other, more subtle movements have replaced it. Maybe raising my eyebrows and moving my forehead, etc. But it isn't like I do this in front of people while they are talking to me or anything, as far as I am aware. :argor:

:wacko: I also used to have auditory & visual hallucinations, but those are out of my control but also sleep related. Thankfully they're not scary but usually unnerving when you swear you hear a music box outside your room at 1am or swear your husband comes home from work early and then.. hasn't c:
Oh no.

Well I'm still recovering from seeing a face and a hushing finger emerging from the curtain, and an angry 'pygmy' woman staring at me. Thankfully both of these 'visitations' were years apart. They were probably a result of exhaustion as I was between waking and sleeping.

But hearing things like musical boxes I think would drive me mad more. Both of the figures which I saw were silent and, thankfully, fleeting.

I feel less alone and less like a freak now.
My father has a neurological disorder called Sydenham's Chorea which causes him slight twitches, my sister and I both inherited trace amounts of it, and schizophrenia is a recessive thing in my family genetics on my mother's side which both of us also inherited trace amounts with. I can't blame the hallucinogenic drugs I was on in my 20's because I had auditory and visual hallucinations as a child and teen as well.
I didn't actually become comfortable about talking about either my hallucinations or my slight twitches until much later in my life.
I was also born with cardiac arrythmia and sleep apnea. The apnea cleared up over time, but I still breathe irregularly and sort of pause due to the arrythmia, which has so far scared the crap out of every girl I've dated because I suddenly stop breathing in my sleep for no apparent reason, and then all of the sudden start breathing again. lol. My health is kind of a train-wreck, I wasn't supposed to live this long and I've pretty much been improvising it since I turned 27. I mean so long as my headspace is good though I physically feel totally fine most of the time, save for rough days at work.

Dealing with hallucinations can make social interactions somewhat difficult for me, on top of already being introverted.Especially if dating or love gets involved. Most of the time, I can usually just convince myself that I'm understanding and reading the situation wrong and that said girl/s aren't flirting with me, and then I can just go back to my day as normal doing whatever it is that I'm doing. Except when it suddenly isn't a hallucination, and she's all but directly told me she's interested. Then I kinda get a bit freaked out. I've had a number of things from my existential dread manifest into reality, so anytime I think that something isn't real and it ends up being real, especially if it's in a social situation, my anxiety goes through the roof and my brain is like: 🤯

Methinks I'm rather vague in part due to my paranoia, but also due to necessity given some of the experiences I've had. The first time I saw myself twitch in the mirror was only a couple years ago. I didn't think it was noticeable, but it's definitely noticeable. Which means I had to drum up a professional cover, so I just say that my father has a neurological condition that makes him twitch that I trace inherited and that usually does the work for me.

Well, I talk to myself. Like...a LOT. I've done it my whole life. I have one of those brains that never shuts up and I'm always day dreaming and I just gotta vent it, I guess. Like a boiler.

They always say "it's okay to talk to yourself just as long as you don't answer" but I...do that...too. BUT I figure I'm good as long as I know I'm talking to myself. Other wise...uh oh.

Tics, talking to myself, walking around in circles, checking cupboards over and over and over again... sometimes all these things at once... :tearjoy: :eek::poop:
I do all those things like every night before bed. Including checking the doors and the stove over and over for like 10 minutes. Gotta make sure if the stove catches fire I'm locked in

Back