[V2] Recommend A Novel!

Amizon

Too orsm for you.
Veteran
Gil
In this thread, recommend the novels you love to others who you think might be interested in something completely new or different. Please elaborate on your post and give reasons as to why you think others may like what you've suggested.

One-liners will be classed as spam and may be deleted without warning.

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell - Susanna Clarke

This is a story about England in the 18th-19th Century, where magic has been lost for many centuries, until two magicians become known and the rivalry that develops between them. It's a brilliant fantasy novel, with a really good period feel to it. It's almost as if Jane Austen had written a book about magic and magicians. It's a weighty read but well worth it, the author creates a fully realised universe and even the footnotes are compelling.

Last edited:
The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

Very much a high-fantasy book but told from a very interesting perspective. The story unfolds as it's being told by the very man who lived it as he recounts his life. What's interesting is that people all over the world know who he is, he's a legend; there are ballads and myths written about him--- but in the book during the present day he's changed his name and runs a small tavern in an out of the way town. It's a much darker look at 'heroism' and those who are called heroes. Over all it's just a really interesting perspective and while it starts out a bit slow it's really fantastic. It's the first of three books (the Kingkiller Trilogy) but the second two are not out yet.

Zombie Survival Guide - Max Brooks

This is such an awesome book. Max Brooks is brilliant when it comes to gore and routines for avoiding and survivng the undead horde. Some see it as a serious piece of literature, others see it as complete and utter joke. Me? I use it as a good reference when writing zombie stories, but if the dead were to walk the earth again, Id have to leave Twilight and bring this along for the ride!

Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick

Probably for those who may be interested in reading something Twilight-esque, but are hesitant because of all the criticism it's gotten.

There are lots of similar points and scenes in this book that almost seem like a carbon copy of the scenes in Twilight but personally, I think the fact that they are better written and more interesting makes it the better book.

Last edited:
Not just one book, but a trilogy, The First Law by Joe Abercrombie is a series which every serious fantasy fan should give a chance. Especially if you need a break from the orcs and elves of high fantasy and is after something darker, grittier, and funnier!

Reading Joe Abercrombie's books, it's obvious that the man is influenced by classic fantasy writers like Robert E. Howard and Karl Wagner, and just like those two, his prose is very fluent and almost jumps off the page. His characters are great too and his world building skills are second only to the likes of J.R.R Tolkien (though you probably have to get to the second book to fully realise this). If I was to make one criticism it would be that the first book The Blade Itself doesn't really let the reader in on what the plot of the series actually is, but the second book Before They Are Hanged more than rectifies this and if read in quick succession of one another, most readers probably won't even notice.

The books in the trilogy are:
1. The Blade Itself
2. Before They Are Hanged
3. A Last Argument of Kings

Nausea by Jean-Paul Sartre. Not only is the story itself thoroughly enjoyable, the existential themes that creep throughout give you more than enough to ponder on. Goes well paired with his non-fiction book 'Being and Nothingness'

I also recommend a series: The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher.

If you like fantasy mixed in with different genres, The Dresden Files are the way to go. There mixed in with murder mystery, religion, politics, and it takes place in Chicago!!!!

Also, I recommend the whole Legend of the Drow series by R.A Salvatore.

I'll recommend Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

Here's a blurb that keeps with the atmosphere of the book:

It's such a hilarious read, especially if you've read (and loved) the original. I never thought zombies would fit so well in Regency romance. Some of the changes made to the classic novel are side-splitting funny and overall it's a really fun read. It's not exactly like a usual zombie story but it sure as heck likes to poke at them.

The Bennet sisters are the defenders of Hertfordshire from the hordes of walking dead that plague their beloved England. The girls are proficient in the deadly arts and take pride in their skills and in dispatching the armies of Satan. This idyllic life is turned over by the arrival of certain handsome and accomplished gentlemen in the neighborhood and the girl's peace of zombie-slaying and training is upset. At the heart of the matter, intelligent, skilled and deadly Lizzy Bennet will confront her greatest opponent yet: the ups and downs and obstacles of love and courting, in the face of aloof and prideful Mr. Darcy.

I'm serious. This is how this book is. It's just awesome in it's occasional randomness.

Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy - A great read!

Its so intriguing to me personally, honestly every character has a way of pulling you deeper and deeper into the story line and their history, Leo has a way of making a Character seem scary realistic, but I have to say I end up feeling for a lot of them. If not to read it for the story, read for the characters, I suggest it.

There's a series of books I read waaaaaaaaay back in high school.

The first one is called Crank by Ellen Hopkins.

Basically the first two books are about this young teenager, who becomes a druggie and ends up pregnant... it shows her struggles of trying to get clean and failing, and how little she changes because of her addiction.. it takes completely control of her life.
The third [I believe it's the final one of the series] is interesting because it's in the point of view of her children.

I really like the style of writing Hopkins used (I've only read these books from here) and so it made it really easy to start reading... I never wanted to put it down. If I'm correct, it's based on her daughter.. though the characters are fictional.

If you haven't already, then I'd like to recommend Philip K. Dick's "The Man In The High Castle". It's set in an alternate timeline where the Japan/Germany Axis won.
Although there's nothing prophetic about it, I think it makes a good triangle shape with this book, "Nineteen Eighty-Four" and "Brave New World".

Back