TV series you’re currently watching?

Things I’ve recently watched.

Snowpiercer (seasons 1 and 2). A really interesting concept and mostly well-executed, particularly in the second season. Some flaws and the violence is sometimes a bit gratuitous (especially in season 1) and it takes quite a few episodes to really get into it, but the premise, the class struggles, and the examination of power are really, really interesting.

Loki. I really enjoyed this. Not as much as I enjoyed Wandavision, but more than I enjoyed Falcon and Winter Soldier (not that I disliked this, it was just my least favourite). The Disney+ Marvel shows have all been pretty strong so far. I think my favourite episode was probably the penultimate one. Richard E. Grant steals the show as Classic Loki in one of the best sequences in the MCU to date. I felt that the finale felt more like an epilogue to bridge the gap between this season and the announced second. I enjoyed it, and recognise how VERY important it is to the MCU going forward, but the penultimate episode was definitely the ‘big moment’ of the series.

I also finally finished Agents of Shield (the final three seasons). While flawed compared to both the Disney+ shows and the Netflix ones, I still enjoyed it. The final season in particularly found a clever way of tying up some loose ends with the prematurely cancelled Agent Carter series too, and I really appreciate that they did that. After all these years it was nice to see Agents of Shield actually end with a proper finale rather than getting cancelled before it could wind up in some sort of satisfying way.

Altered Carbon, season 2. I much preferred the mystery storyline of season 1, but season 2 grew on me too and had its own share of twists. It had a pretty satisfying conclusion, with a teasing cliffhanger. Unfortunately I’ve just learned that Netflix is still an ass and has decided to cancel its third season. Netflix cannot be trusted with good programmes, it seems. This series was a really interesting concept and raised serious philosophical questions.

Marvel's What if...?

It's watchable and there are some interesting ideas explored (alongside some cringey ones), but it isn't blowing my mind or anything. It's not that the cartoon animations are bad either, because they really do the job they set out to do, but I guess they are at times a bit jarring. Especially when they haven't quite matched the appearances of the character/actor (I suspect due to contracts, etc). Also some of the actors were not able/asked to reprise their roles, which also takes you out of it a little bit.

Overall, each episode feels quite rushed, in my opinion. They definitely come across as summaries of glimpses into alternate timelines, so the pacing is extremely fast-flowing. Consequently, some of the scenes which should have landed an emotional impact are not thoroughly earned, so I haven't really felt them.

Vigil.

Essentially a murder mystery set on a nuclear submarine. Part cop drama, part espionage, part thriller, etc.

It was enjoyable, taken with a grain of salt. Sly on this forum would probably pick out the faults in the plausibility of the precise circumstances here, but as a TV series I thought it was good and had a satisfying conclusion.

Foundation.

I'm not familiar with the book at all, but I really wish I was. I can definitely see how this inspired a lot of works that are now more mainstream. I'm really, really enjoying this. It is a nice piece of sci fi fantasy with some truly fascinating concepts. Prominent amongst them being a cloned dynasty of emperors where there are three at a time (a child representing Dawn, a young man representing Day, and an old man representing Dusk). All are cloned from the same founder emperor, and all grow to look exactly like their 'brothers', and so on.

There is a lot more to it. The mythos is very interesting in general.

Locke & Key

I wasn't sure how well I'd like this show since it seems more geared towards teens/young adults, but somehow watching this while wrapping Christmas presents by myself one night resulted in both my husband & I binging 6 hours & episodes worth back to back in one night. Oops :wacky:

It's actually pretty interesting, I like the concept of the keys and the visuals aren't too bad. I'm not a big fan of 'horror' (if you could call it that) but I feel like sometimes that genre can be a bit gory, so this is a nice middle ground for me. I don't know anything outside of the show (I guess there's a graphic novel) but I'm just a little bit half way through season 2 & see there is a season 3 pending for 2022. So that'll be nice to look forward to when it drops. My only complaint is that a few times the kids make such obvious mistakes or conveniently 'forget' stuff (mostly for the sake of the plot) but it is what it is. I really enjoy sitting down and talking out what I think is going on or what is going to happen so it's been a lot of fun just sitting around watching & talking about it too.

Mindhunter

Just finished watching Mindhunter for the second time, this go around with my fiance in tow. We've both been eternally scarred by Seven (took us both a bottle of wine each plus an extra large glass on my part to get through that film) so we were under the impression that we had gotten the measure of David Fincher. But we were mistaken.

Mindhunter is very much a collaborative production with very talented (executive) producers, directors, an extremely gifted script writer and prosthetics artist (at least in my opinion). Everything is quick and snappy, never lingering to belabour a point or fill in some dead air time. Characters are all there for a reason, some arguably more fleshed out than others, but even those with lesser screen time make their presence felt.

Originally I was concerned that the show would either be some over sympathetic ode to serial killers (because it's always the mother's fault :dry:) or rather a dramatically scored vilainisation focusing more on the perpetrator rather than the victims. Not if Fincher has anything to do with it, always one to think outside the box, the episodes he directs in the series maintain the hyper focus of showing rather than telling. Although everything is smart and surprisingly witty (given the subject matter), the atmosphere is allowed to simply hang and brew acting as a stark counter measure to remind us that the primary characters are continually stumbling in the dark, searching for the answer of a question we still can't resolve even to this day.

I started up on Stranger Things, after not thoroughly enjoying season 1 but thinking it's a decent show.

It's decent, well made television but sadly... I'm not seeing the huge, game-changing aspect to the series that everyone else seems to see! It hasn't hooked me in. I feel like the 1980's window dressing feeds into an ultimately weak narrative, where character pairings seem to be decided based on popular opinion.

Maybe it's because i'm not _super_ into the 1980's, I just don't get the hype at all!

Finished up Wednesday recently & was surprised I really liked it. I dislike anything that I usually relate to Halloween because of this weird.. phobia I think I have? But really it wasn't as yuck as I was anticipating and I enjoyed Wednesday's deadpan humor more than anything. Enjoyed most of the cast, too! I haven't watched a lot of Addam's Family content but appreciated the small details that I did know that they managed to sprinkle in. Thing was my favorite :lew: Wish I had him around my house! And I liked how it wasn't overly gross in terms of gore - I just.. am a wee lil bean and can't handle things like that okay?!

Anyway, really enjoyed this. At first I thought it was amusing how obvious it was who the 'bad guy' was, but they have you going for a while making you second guess yourself, so I appreciated that. So yeah, odd choice to wrap Christmas presents to, but enjoyed it. Hoping to see more!

Does it count if i binged in one day lol?

Watched season 2 of alice in borderland and enjoyed it as much as season 1. I dont tend to watch all that much tv but when something grips me it grips me good and this definitely got me. Watched it all in one day.

Hoping for a season 3 🙏

Just started the latest season of the crown, its nore background watching really when im working on a project, though i will occasionally pay attention when it piques my interest.

Finished binging Lockwood & Co. on Netflix. Haven't read the books but I really enjoyed the series so far, I hope they make another season before I unsubscribe
Eyesintensefrog.png

The intro song hit me pretty good too. I like stuff that isn't unecessarily gorey or almost all purely reliant on jump-scares. Cast was really good and did a really good job too, imo. My only regret is watching it before it already had a few seasons up 😂 Waiting forever it is then.

The Last Of Us

I wasn't sure about the cast they chose, but it seems alright so far. Some episodes are hit and miss and drag on quite a bit, others have been pretty packed full of content.

Really just need to watch something that has quite a few seasons and episodes so I can binge watch.

Still The Last of Us, which I think is a fantastic adaptation that is well-cast, not at all too gory (surprisingly not so) and includes some minor deviations that in my opinion do work for the different medium. Three episodes left now.

I'm also about 7 episodes into Wednesday now. Enjoying this a lot more than I had anticipated. It keeps the Addams Family humour, but it is also a nice Scooby Doo-style mystery story. And I adore The Thing. Some of the things that they got the Thing to do have been creative. Swimming and punching a merman/siren in the face, for example. I also appreciate how they've tried to build up individual cultures for the mythical monsters that attend this school, and put some thought into how they would act in this setting.

Still haven't started TLOU - Mostly because it's hard to find time to watch things together with my husband, and also because I am a weenie. Mostly the time restraints though. But also because I am a weenie.

Anyway, in my spare time I've been binging The Big Bang Theory. I've never watched it regularly before, but it's kind of strange watching some of these older episodes realizing how much time has passed since certain episodes aired. I remember when some of these were new so the time-frame is just mind boggling when you realize that, oh, yeah, it's been X amount of years since this first aired - some of these people are dead now, etc. Ah, but, yeah, I started watching this as background noise initially but it's been helping me out when I am mindlessly working or walking & trying to pass the time.

• Haha
Reactions: Six
The Last of Us still on my end as well. The latest episode was really good. I think they've renewed the show for another season, even? Maybe that's rumours, but I wouldn't mind it if it were true.

Miko it's weenie friendly I'd say. Although the horse died, and I almost teared up, because come on.

Really looking for something I can binge watch still... Nothing really... catches my eye.

The Last of Us still on my end as well. The latest episode was really good. I think they've renewed the show for another season, even? Maybe that's rumours, but I wouldn't mind it if it were true.

It is official. I think two episodes in HBO renewed it and Neil Druckmann and Craig Mazin are both on board again already and have commented on it. It'll likely be a few years down the line if it is to be of the same quality that we are currently getting. And I'm okay with that. I'd rather they did it well! I think I read recently that they are now in the very early stages of writing season 2. Probably working out whether Part II should be adapted as a single season or two seasons, as they have said in the past it might take two.

---

I am also still watching The Last of Us. (This thread seems to be a back and forth on that, lately). But I have also started to watch Carnival Row's second season. Since it has been a few years since the first season, I was worried I would have forgotten all of the lore, characters, and even the basic plot. But thankfully the 'previously on' was enough to spark my memories back to life. It is a decent show. Well-acted, multiple layers to its plot, and a fascinating steampunk fairytale setting.

Reactions: Six
I started to watch NHK E-Tele's children's music program “Musica Piccolino,”again.
Even the adults will enjoy it.
Because, music,graphic design,and “Monstoro's“shape are awesome!!
But,it had finally ended in seosen10 last Friday.
I'm missing but...thank you for 10-year journey!!

Back