Veteran
Gil
Mako Points
FFXIV
Polyphemos Bromios
FFXIV Server
Lamia
Things I’ve recently watched.

Snowpiercer (seasons 1 and 2). A really interesting concept and mostly well-executed, particularly in the second season. Some flaws and the violence is sometimes a bit gratuitous (especially in season 1) and it takes quite a few episodes to really get into it, but the premise, the class struggles, and the examination of power are really, really interesting.

Loki. I really enjoyed this. Not as much as I enjoyed Wandavision, but more than I enjoyed Falcon and Winter Soldier (not that I disliked this, it was just my least favourite). The Disney+ Marvel shows have all been pretty strong so far. I think my favourite episode was probably the penultimate one. Richard E. Grant steals the show as Classic Loki in one of the best sequences in the MCU to date. I felt that the finale felt more like an epilogue to bridge the gap between this season and the announced second. I enjoyed it, and recognise how VERY important it is to the MCU going forward, but the penultimate episode was definitely the ‘big moment’ of the series.

I also finally finished Agents of Shield (the final three seasons). While flawed compared to both the Disney+ shows and the Netflix ones, I still enjoyed it. The final season in particularly found a clever way of tying up some loose ends with the prematurely cancelled Agent Carter series too, and I really appreciate that they did that. After all these years it was nice to see Agents of Shield actually end with a proper finale rather than getting cancelled before it could wind up in some sort of satisfying way.

Dionysos

Βρεκεκεκὲξ κοὰξ κοάξ
Staff member
Administrator
Veteran
Gil
Mako Points
FFXIV
Polyphemos Bromios
FFXIV Server
Lamia
Altered Carbon, season 2. I much preferred the mystery storyline of season 1, but season 2 grew on me too and had its own share of twists. It had a pretty satisfying conclusion, with a teasing cliffhanger. Unfortunately I’ve just learned that Netflix is still an ass and has decided to cancel its third season. Netflix cannot be trusted with good programmes, it seems. This series was a really interesting concept and raised serious philosophical questions.

Dionysos

Βρεκεκεκὲξ κοὰξ κοάξ
Staff member
Administrator
Veteran
Gil
Mako Points
FFXIV
Polyphemos Bromios
FFXIV Server
Lamia
Marvel's What if...?

It's watchable and there are some interesting ideas explored (alongside some cringey ones), but it isn't blowing my mind or anything. It's not that the cartoon animations are bad either, because they really do the job they set out to do, but I guess they are at times a bit jarring. Especially when they haven't quite matched the appearances of the character/actor (I suspect due to contracts, etc). Also some of the actors were not able/asked to reprise their roles, which also takes you out of it a little bit.

Overall, each episode feels quite rushed, in my opinion. They definitely come across as summaries of glimpses into alternate timelines, so the pacing is extremely fast-flowing. Consequently, some of the scenes which should have landed an emotional impact are not thoroughly earned, so I haven't really felt them.

Dionysos

Βρεκεκεκὲξ κοὰξ κοάξ
Staff member
Administrator
Veteran
Gil
Mako Points
FFXIV
Polyphemos Bromios
FFXIV Server
Lamia
Vigil.

Essentially a murder mystery set on a nuclear submarine. Part cop drama, part espionage, part thriller, etc.

It was enjoyable, taken with a grain of salt. Sly on this forum would probably pick out the faults in the plausibility of the precise circumstances here, but as a TV series I thought it was good and had a satisfying conclusion.