The Spirits Within [The Spirits Within] So who else wants to pretend this film never existed?

I enjoyed the movie, it had a good story and if deadly ghosts, magical spirits, soul powered machines and good character development aren't Final Fantasy, I don't know what is?

Well like I said I think it's the fact that it was set on earth that put so many people off. It seemed too real, a future of our planet, and not a fantasy world.
Also I think people were really expecting to see chocobo's and moogles and other beasts other than alien spirits. Alien spirits are fine, but on their own I think it made people look down upon the movie, especially when these spirits were put on earth.

This movie is wildly underrated. There is no way that it deserves all the bashing it gets. It was a brilliant movie, even if it had nothing to do with Final Fantasy... besides, no one ever complains when one FF's nothing to do with the next, do they? This's just another like that. This movie = win.

I agree with the consensus. The title is what pissed me off about the movie. I loved the plot of the movie, kind-of gave off an "end of the world" feel. Which is what it was. I thought the main guy character (forget his name, i haven't seen it in like 6 years) was Ben Affleck because it looks just like him lol. I was a little disappointed because i thought it was going to be a spin-off of X, but when i got it, i wasn't as upset

There's one word alone that come sum up this film and it's "Lame" and that's being nice, it was just so dull, probably cause it wasn't created by Square Enix like AC the graphics were kinda pap and the story line was alright i suppose but it was just put together badly, no familiar faces to follow and no real link to previous FF's.

My dad found out about this movie somehow and immediately rented because he knew my brother and I are fans of FF. Well I have to admit that it looked incredible but I was confused by the title after watching it. It has absolutely nothing to do with FF at all, no familiar characters, settings, or fundamental elements(like chocobos or 'Cids.') I also found it to be a little confusing but I did watch it at night on night I was particularily tired. I would like to pretend 'Final Fantasy' was not in the title otherwise I don't mind it.

IMO it was a poor excuse for a final fantasy film. It had nothing to do with the series, had no elements of fantasy, no magic except the spirit thingies and no swords (thats a big no-no lol) so who else just wants to pretend they never saw this movie?
  1. Since when do any FF games have anything to do with each other, sequels aside? Does the story of VII have any relation to that of IX? I think one of the only things FF games really have in common is that they all involve a group of characters trying to save the world. A lot of the elements we recognize today weren't incorporated from the very beginning--chocobos, for example, weren't introducted until II.
  2. It's more of a sci-fi than a fantasy, I suppose.
  3. Swords wouldn't really fit in with the time period.
  4. ............
I actually really liked this movie, to be honest. Especially the extra "Thriller" bit. Heh.

I thought it was a really good film, actually. The necessity to slap "Final Fantasy" over the front was slightly irritating but, then again, do you think that it would have done so well without the link? It gave SE a boost in popularity before it was even released.

Aside from that, it was a really original story. I'm trying to get my hands on it, actually, despite it being nearly 10 years later. xD

I see it all the time in the shops at bargain bin price aswel and Im pretty sure it's all over e-bay :wacky:

I really can't bring myself to buy it 'just for the sake of having it' like I did with most of the ff games, I just did not enjoy it - although tbh, i didnt watch all of it.....

that movie, i can't believe it was supposed to be final fantasy related!! it was horrible, it is a sad excuse for a ff movie!

I have seen the movie but I was very displeased with it for the simple fact it didn't related in any form of what a Final Fantasy movie should've been. I don't want to pretend this film never existed because quite frankly I had forgotten about this film for over 7 years now ever since it was released and I will continue to make sure that it still doesn't exist in my mind.

The movie wasn't terrible, it just wasn't good. I agree with Riku that slapping FF on the front was a cheap move though. You can't expect the depth you'd get from a full fledged FF game from a 90 minute animated movie. The only other major problem with the movie is there were plotholes you could drive small trucks through. It honestly might have been a good plot for an actual FF game but just as a stand alone movie, it blew.

it was a let down for me, i borrowed it from a family friend when i saw it was supposedly ff, got home and watched it, it was crap purly as they called it ff when it was clearly NOT! imo if the title was changed to suit the film more then yeah id watch again and possably change my answer but that aint going to happen

The movie would be perfect if it wasn't called "Final Fantasy". I thought it was a great movie, but it had a title to lure you into buying/watching it. :P

Advent Children should of been released in theaters. That would've been so cool. *O*

I agree that this movie had absolutely nothing to do with the actual Final Fantasy video game/anime franchise, but I think on it's own (and if it had a different title) it was an interesting story with slick animation. It kind of reminded me of one long cut scene. Who knows? Maybe it will be a gateway drug leading people to the "real" Final Fantasy. It was just an unforgivable mistake calling it "Final Fantasy". Where are the chocobo?

---

As far as Advent Children goes, if the viewer isn't a Final Fantasy player/fan it really wouldn't be too appealing. That's where the Spirits Within (unfortunately) wins. A non-gamer, non-anime fan could enjoy it.

Last edited:
Well the title should have been different it is not a FF story it was an ok movie but not a Final Fantasy.

It was an okay film in it's own rights but it just WASN'T Final Fantasy at all. It just didn't seem like they cared about the intended audience.

See, I love this movie. Incredible in all regards; graphics, story, characters, the whole shebang.

But I'm with the resounding opinion on this thread...It wasn't a FInal Fantasy movie. At all. ...Like...yeah. No.

Though the "soldier" things in that movie look like all the guards in Final Fantasy games since. (especially XIII)

Anyways, IMO, a great movie that I've seen many times...just nothing to do with FInal Fantasy and shouldn't be regarded as such.

I will say I have never really bashed a movie entirely until now. FF spirits within was the biggest let down of any movie/game I have ever seen. I mean honestly when they look at it I bet they thought everyone liked it due to the sales that they originally had for this movie.

The problem is this had nothing to do with the Final Fantasy Franchise. The only thing that they really added was the Life Stream. When people went to watch it we had the expectation of seeing any of the following: Magic being used from hands, people using swords to fight, Summons being cast at one point, people with extraordinary powers... None of this occured.

I mean come on, the voice acting wasn't to bad, but the story was beyond terrible. I want my money back to be honest. I even thought some Disney movies ranked better than this such as Titan AE.

If I ever find a copy of this movie, remind me to dowse it in kerosene and make sure it suffers a slow burning death.

I really liked this movie it was well done!!! I know it had nothing to do with Final Fantasy but there were some references Like if you look properly you can see Moogles. Yeah this movie could have been made into a video game which would have been cool. What were spirits reffered to in this movie? Aki Ross was probably the best character in the movie. Oh and Dr. Cid was another reference to final fantasy.

Back