The Downfall of Final Fantasy.

I disagree with this. I disagree with this alot. I think that whether a game looks dated or has flashy HD graphics isn't really important. A few people might throw a fuss if it doesn't have flashy graphics but they're just exteremly shallow when it comes to gaming and are not really true gamers.

Alot of older games despite being well old are quite brilliant. The older Sonic the Hedgehog games come to mind. The older Final Fantasy games come to mind. I think that there is gamers out there that feel that it's the story, characters and sound that is more important that how realstic or 'beautiful' it looks. Otherwise we wouldn't be still playing retro games and SquareEnix wouldn't bother trying to release FF1 & FF2 every five or so years. Because why bother ? The characters look too chibi so it wouldn't sell.

In sort. Graphics don't matter when it comes to video gaming and if you put down a game because it's old or doesn't look too flashy compared to other today's games then I'm sorry but you're shallow when it comes to games and you're missing out on some great games and great older ones.

I agree with you, if Square released a new FF that looked like FFX I would still buy it, what matters to me is not the visuals but the story and the gameplay, after all that's what playing a game is for. I mean, Enchanted Arms is a game I really like, it's a PS3 game and yet looks like a PS2 game, the graphics are nothing great but the gameplay and the story is good. I don't buy a game to look at it, I buy a game to play it.

I disagree with this. I disagree with this alot. I think that whether a game looks dated or has flashy HD graphics isn't really important. A few people might throw a fuss if it doesn't have flashy graphics but they're just exteremly shallow when it comes to gaming and are not really true gamers.

Alot of older games despite being well old are quite brilliant. The older Sonic the Hedgehog games come to mind. The older Final Fantasy games come to mind. I think that there is gamers out there that feel that it's the story, characters and sound that is more important that how realstic or 'beautiful' it looks. Otherwise we wouldn't be still playing retro games and SquareEnix wouldn't bother trying to release FF1 & FF2 every five or so years. Because why bother ? The characters look too chibi so it wouldn't sell.

In sort. Graphics don't matter when it comes to video gaming and if you put down a game because it's old or doesn't look too flashy compared to other today's games then I'm sorry but you're shallow when it comes to games and you're missing out on some great games and great older ones.

theres a difference between wanting satisfying graphics and wanting the highest quality of graphics. Its not shallow at all to want good graphics. Its shallow to enjoy graphics over gameplay.

^ It's nice that reviewer praised FF7 so much and basically explained why it is a great game and shouldn't deserve the title "overrated " However I disagree with his scores with FF8- FF10 and the praise towards FF12. Still it's a really enjoyable read and gave out a few good laughs, though FF 9 getting a 3/5 score ? Is this writer smoking some pot that clouds his/ her judgement ? :thehell:
If you ask me, the score for IX was too high, VIII was at least better than IX, and X and XII were good. IX is an overhyped game with many overlooked problems, and this will show them all: [Link Redacted]

Moderator Edit: Link removed

Last edited by a moderator:
I may not have weigh of opinion regarding this matter because I've only played FF up to FFIX and FFTactics.
But I would still say, every installment that I've played up so far was phenomenal. But idk about FFX and onwards save for few heartfelt scenes in FFXV thanks to YouTube

Last edited:
Whilst I agree that the overall quality of the series has been in decline from X onwards, I've still found something that I've enjoyed about all of the games (bar XI, and I won't even touch XIV).

I think the consumer market changed, is what really did it in.
Square wanted in on the American competitive market.
So eventually they dropped the turn-based stuff and went to more Action RPG route.
Business-wise, I get it. But the problem is, that there's still not much of an audience there.
The RPG has been divied up across nearly every genre at this point.
Including FPS style games. We're going to use Fallout 3 as a comedic example here because you can somehow miss a Supermutant Behemoth with a Fat Man mini nuke and that concept in its own is just amusing.

Back