Veteran
Gil
FFXIV
Ohri Jin
FFXIV Server
Cerberus
New Silent Hill is Silent Hill: Downpour

191066-drybones.jpg

The upcoming Silent Hill sequel, previously known as Silent Hill 8, has been officially named Silent Hill: Downpour in an upcoming issue of Game Informer.

First details of the game reveal a town so vast that it needs a Subway system to explore, with areas that include the never-before-seen Southeastern side of Silent Hill. There are no hospitals or schools in this area, eliminating locations that have been part of the Silent Hill experience since inception, but there will apparently be optional sidequests this time around.

Combat seems to take a page from earlier Silent Hill games, in that it's possible to avoid most encounters, and avoidance is advised. You get one melee weapon at a time (an ax has been confirmed) but enemies are hard to kill and weapons break easily. The only mandatory fights are boss battles, which take the form of quick-time-events.

Water will take a major role in the game, and GI spotted a room with water running upside-down on the ceiling. In another nod to earlier games, the puzzles will have their own optional difficulty levels.

Interesting ... sounds almost like they want to make Downpour more like the older games, but introduce an open-world setting. That's actually pretty okay with me. It's too early to judge yet, but I'm really hoping this turns out well. I love Silent Hill and I'm desperate for a game that doesn't suck.
[Via NeoGAF]

8423-jim1jpg-avatar.jpg
Story by Jim Sterling

Source - http://www.destructoid.com/new-silent-hill-is-silent-hill-downpour-191066.phtml

Silent Hill: Downpour confirmed for “autumn,” first shots and more details

January 24th, 2011 @ 13:00
By Patrick Garratt

silenthilld.jpg

Konami confirmed today that Vatra’s Silent Hill: Downpour will release for PS3 and 360 this autumn, as well as releasing a good load of first shots.

Composer Daniel Licht – aka Dexter – will compose the game’s soundtrack.
The game has a “completely original storyline,” according to Konami today, which follows Murphy Pendleton, a convict stranded in Silent Hill.
Pendleton begins the game lost in the woods on the outskirts of the town after his prison transport bus crashes.
Some of the screens released today show two new areas of the game: The Diner and The Devil’s Pit.
Silent Hill 8, only titled Downpour in the last issue of Game Informer, was announced at E3 2010.
You can watch a previously released dev diary of the horror in action below.
<style type="text/css">#gallery-1 { margin: auto; }#gallery-1 .gallery-item { float: left; margin-top: 10px; text-align: center; width: 33%; }#gallery-1 img { border: 2px solid rgb(207, 207, 207); }#gallery-1 .gallery-caption { margin-left: 0pt; }</style> <dl class="gallery-item"><dt class="gallery-icon"> </dt></dl><dl class="gallery-item"><dt class="gallery-icon"> </dt></dl><dl class="gallery-item"><dt class="gallery-icon"> </dt></dl>
<dl class="gallery-item"><dt class="gallery-icon"> </dt></dl><dl class="gallery-item"><dt class="gallery-icon"> </dt></dl><dl class="gallery-item"><dt class="gallery-icon"> </dt></dl>
<dl class="gallery-item"><dt class="gallery-icon"> </dt></dl><dl class="gallery-item"><dt class="gallery-icon"> </dt></dl><dl class="gallery-item"><dt class="gallery-icon"> </dt></dl>
<dl class="gallery-item"><dt class="gallery-icon"> </dt></dl><dl class="gallery-item"><dt class="gallery-icon"> </dt></dl>

Source - http://www.vg247.com/2011/01/24/sil...rmed-for-autumn-first-shots-and-more-details/

Quick Shots – 10 new screens released for Silent Hill: Downpour

Some new screenshots have been released for Silent Hill: Downpour.

silenthilldownpour.jpg

Get the lot of screens over at ScrawlFX.
Vatra Games’ new entry into the franchise stars an escaped prisoner named Murphy Pendleton, who unwittingly arrives in the town of Silent Hill after his prison bus crashes.
Silent Hill: Downpour will release for PS3 and Xbox 360 this autumn.

Last edited:
Today has released a new teaser for the next installment of Silent Hill: Downpour this comes to celebrate the official website of Silent Hill has reached a million fans, so Shatsky david has created a teaser new installment of Silent Hill to celebrate and here we bring in nicarevolution. It feels committed to his followers and has sent a new Teaser Trailer with small fragments of this terrifying game, hope it will continue just as grateful to all and show more at E3.

http://n4g.com/news/763713/new-teaser-of-silent-hill-downpour

Update#1

Quick Shots – Silent Hill: Downpour screens are suitably gloomy

Name three things you’d expect to see in Silent Hill: Downpour screenshots. If you said “dark”, “more dark” and “deepest dark”, boy, you are not going to be disappointed.

20110608shdownpour.jpg

The screens were accompanied by a fact sheet with a mix of old and new information, including details of how protagonist and jailbird Murphy Pendleton ends up caught in a nightmare. Waking up amid the wreckage of a prison facility transfer bus and with nothing but more time ahead of him, Pendleton makes good his escape – straight into Silent Hill. Is it appropriate to add “rofl”?

The game runs on Unreal Engine 3 and includes free-roaming and exploration aspects, including side quests, secret areas, and bonus content.

The day and night cycle is supplemented by the famous twin-world system seen in previous Silent Hill games, apparently “manifested and sourced from character actions throughout the game”.

The 3D-compatible game features the talents of Silent Hill comic writer Tom Waltz and Dexter composer Dan Licht – as well as a theme song by Korn.

Downpour’s due on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in October this year.
<dl class="gallery-item"><dt class="gallery-icon"> </dt></dl><dl class="gallery-item"><dt class="gallery-icon"> </dt></dl><dl class="gallery-item"><dt class="gallery-icon"> </dt></dl><dl class="gallery-item"><dt class="gallery-icon"> </dt></dl> <dl class="gallery-item"><dt class="gallery-icon"> </dt></dl><dl class="gallery-item"><dt class="gallery-icon"> </dt></dl><dl class="gallery-item"><dt class="gallery-icon"> </dt></dl><dl class="gallery-item"><dt class="gallery-icon"> </dt></dl> <dl class="gallery-item"><dt class="gallery-icon"> </dt></dl><dl class="gallery-item"><dt class="gallery-icon">
</dt></dl> http://www.vg247.com/2011/06/08/qui...pour-screens-are-suitably-gloomy/#more-177992

Update#2

Quick Shots – Silent Hill: Downpour shots show more gloom and doom

Vatra has released a few more shots of Silent Hill: Downpour to go along with the ones released yesterday. Still gloomy, and looking as though your doom is near. We can’t wait for the series to scare us once more come October on PS3 and Xbox 360.
<dl class="gallery-item"><dt class="gallery-icon"> </dt></dl><dl class="gallery-item"><dt class="gallery-icon"> </dt></dl><dl class="gallery-item"><dt class="gallery-icon"> </dt></dl><dl class="gallery-item"><dt class="gallery-icon"> </dt></dl><dl class="gallery-item"><dt class="gallery-icon"> </dt></dl><dl class="gallery-item"><dt class="gallery-icon"> </dt></dl><dl class="gallery-item"><dt class="gallery-icon">
</dt></dl> http://www.vg247.com/2011/06/09/qui...r-shots-show-more-gloom-and-doom/#more-178945

Update#3

Here are some gameplay demo videos of Silent Hill: Downpour. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Silent Hill: Downpour has separate combat and puzzle difficulties

If you’re a big fan of the horror exploration elements of Silent Hill, but turn into a flailing mess when the combat starts, Downpour has you covered with the return of dual difficulty sliders.

20120110shdownpour.jpg

“A lot of people really like puzzles, and Silent Hill provides really cool puzzles, but they’re not good at fighting,” producer Tomm Hulett told Joystiq.

“So you can set fighting to easy, puzzles to hard, you’re good to go.”
Hulett explained that setting the puzzles to hard will provide fewer prompts and contextual clues, which might lead players to hidden content.
“You’re just supposed to realize, ‘Hey I have this item, I don’t need this for the other thing I’m doing, what does this mean?’ And then you’ll find the note, and figure out the sidequest for yourself,” he said.

Completing sidequests – one example had protagonist Murphy returning missing items to the correct rooms within a building – can be lucrative.
“It could be a cache of items, three health packs. That’s a big reward now,” the producer said.

“Or it could be a really good shotgun – you’ve never seen a shotgun in the game, and through a sidequest you find a shotgun.”
You’ll probably want the comfort of a good boom stick, because Vatra’s take on Silent Hill’s notorious Otherworld segments hope to terrify you. Instead of providing identical if creepier versions of explored environments, Downpour’s Otherworld areas may be unfamiliar.
“It’s not the same layout; it’s this weird, strange, nightmarish layout where you don’t know where you’re going next, you don’t know what’s around the next corner, Hulett said.

“Players will come to understand that they don’t know what’s going to happen and they have to react and escape. And that’s taking a type of horror, fear that’s been in the old games, but sort of enhancing and giving it a new twist. Even if you’ve played all the other games, these Otherworlds will feel different and scary and unusual and you’ll find things that you wouldn’t have expected to find.”

Moreover, when the dynamic rain system kicks in, enemies might not be where you expect them.

“The onset of rain is sort of the signifier: I need to find a weapon, I need to find shelter. It provides a new sense of fear, but it fits in Silent Hill,” the producer added.

Silent Hill: Downpour was expected in March for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, but recent comments from Konami suggest that may change this week.

http://www.vg247.com/2012/01/10/sil...e-combat-and-puzzle-difficulties/#more-225517

Glad to see people talking about Downpour here, since I'm a huge SH fan myself (I'm a Mod for a SH forum, actually).

I was very skeptical of Downpour, but after seeing the game play that Tomm and Whitney have posted...I'm pretty hyped for it. The combat looks pretty fluid, as well as the weather transitions, I like that they are not reusing past locations, but rather making the game more open and showing us more areas of Silent Hill, no reusing of past monsters (Thank God! I was sick of Nurses and PH), Howard is so intriquing; I can't wait to learn more about his storyline!

Many people were worried that the combat would be too much like Homecoming, which was more strategy than fighting, which was very annoying for players. They also worried that the weapons would be too breakable like in Origins, which would leave us up the creek without a paddle at times when we were in combat. I'm glad to see that Downpour is going to have a nice medium with strategy, as well as realistic use of weapons.

I am glad to see some elements that are being brought back from previous titles, such as Puzzle and Game Difficulty. That's something that is great for everyone. Not everyone wants to play on the hardest difficulty, and the same goes for puzzles. Some people are just not into puzzles, which is absolutely fine. I can safely say that I usually do normal difficulty starting out in any game, but I know that some fans like to start on Easy so they can pay more attention to the storyline instead of fighting monsters, which is totally understandable.

I'm the biggest Silent Hill fan at this forum and I STILL don't have my copy thanks to a tornado wiping out my entire city and STILL not receiving my f*cking check. Great. I'd like to not be spoiled at the forums I frequent and must frequent due to my Moderator status.

Silent Hill: Downpour Composer Discusses Composing For The Game

Dexter composer, Daniel Licht, composed the music for Silent Hill: Downpour, replacing longtime composer, Akira Yamaoka. Konami recently put up a “making of” video feature on Licht that contains his thoughts on composing for the game. Downpour was Licht’s first time composing for a game project, so it’s interesting to hear his thoughts on how he went about the process:

I got the game. I'm not going to post any form of spoilers, so no worries, but it was a really good game. Many people are hesitant to buy it, but trust me...it's pretty good. I'd borrow it because I know many hardcore fans who didn't care for it (and they aren't biased towards the older games, either). The environmental graphics are great, definitely the best I've seen in the series. The combat isn't too shabby at all. The breakable weapons aren't frustrating and the game has so many weapons at your disposal. It has so many side quests that just keep you entertained for hours and hours as you explore the new parts of Silent Hill. The storyline is nice. It's a bit easy to figure out, but it's good. The OST is pretty good, though Daniel Licht did a horrible job naming the tracks ("Clowning Around with Monsters"?), but that's just a tiny peeve.

Also, Hakumen
That interview was great. I watched it a few weeks back. Daniel Licht seems like a very down-to-earth guy, and I respect that. The fact that he dwelled into the games so that he could really get an idea of what he's working with really impressed me. I know many composers do this, but I haven't seen many do it, so I was happy to hear this.

Back