Potions.

TheMixedHerb

Paladin
Veteran
Gil
Yes, Potions.
Who actually used them in this game really, at all?
I know I did a few times, but by chapter 3-4 ish they lose all use for me, yeah, they heal for a decent amount, even better with a Doctor's Code (which are limited in amount) but apart from that a medic is necessary.

Later in the game potions are utterly useless, I was honestly expecting Hi-Potions and X-Potions and stuff like that, but all we get is one Elixir in the entire game and the fact that the Doctor's Codes can make a total of 4 (I think it's 4) more.

I just think it was quite an odd change, and not one I really liked. I rarely used items at all, even ones for status effects although they did help.
So what's your view on the way they put Potions into the game?

I still use them sometimes, in chapter 11. They have some uses still. Mostly for the fact that they can be used instantly. So if your medic is still charging their gauge, it is nice to hold you over until they get their turn.

As you said, it really disappointing that there are no other types of Potions in the game so after a certain point, its usefulness drops quite a bit.

As you said, it really disappointing that there are no other types of Potions in the game so after a certain point, its usefulness drops quite a bit.

I think their only redeemable feature is that they heal everyone and not just one person, apart from that I rarely used them. It is quite handy that they're instantly used, but later on it'll have no effect with the amount of damage enemies do.

After chapter 6 I never really used potions again. I found the regular healing to be much better and I have not used potions in a very long time.

I was really disappointed (one of the few places where FFXIII didn't please me) that we didn't get Hi Potions, X Potions, etc. I think potions were useful during the first half of the game - the fact they could be used instantly were a huge bonus, but by chapter 7, they were largely irrelevant, like most items. Anything potions can do, my medics can do... and better.

Even before I got Cura, Potions were for emergency use only, such as when bosses were attacking multiple people. And after I got Cura, I don't think I ever used a potion again. It was annoying that they weren't much use, but I didn't really dwell on it.

I used potions as my primary healing tool, It allowed me stay in offensive paradigms longer and I spammed even when I had a healer active to allow me to switch up to offensive Paradigms again.

There downsizing to a singular potion type instead of the Potion, Hi-Potion,MegaPotion,X-Potion,Elixir,Megalixir is just apart of S-E new direction they felt FFXII had to take, I think using and aquiring a hundred of each type of potion listed really would have killed the ParaDigm Shift sytem.

FFXIII's battle system was stripped back to place unneeded emphasis on the is new system, which is ok but its not so engrossing that they needed to delapidate there traditional system.

Just another one of FFXIII's badly conceived ideas, that started with..........lets face it the whole freakin battle system is a JOKE.

I found potions to be a help at the start but they outlive there usefulness very quick as soon as there was a medic fit to support the party Docter's Code is a waste of an accessory slot. The Paradigms system wouldn't be as good if you had X-Potions MegaPotions and Megalixir because you would be fit to heal yourself without the need of a medic and using Megalixer in an offensive paragram would mean getting a stagger on enemies quicker and boss battles becoming very easy.

The Paradigms system wouldn't be as good if you had X-Potions MegaPotions and Megalixir because you would be fit to heal yourself without the need of a medic and using Megalixer in an offensive paragram would mean getting a stagger on enemies quicker and boss battles becoming very easy.

I agree to extent, but perhaps a Hi Potion or something available from chapter 11 onwards which heals 1000 each would have been a nice improvement. I wouldn't want them to make it easy but Potions gradually lose their effctiveness to the point of having no effect at all whatsoever. Elixirs in this game ARE the megalixirs, they heal HP and TP fully. I just think they could have improved it a little bit is all.

Hi-Potions could still work, provided they stay rare. If they are hard to find in treasure chests and lets say you can buy them in the shop, it would have to be really expensive. By really expensive I mean like atleast 5,000 gil each since money can be really hard to come by in the main game. That way Potion items are not always useless yet still rare enough for it to not become spammable.

I used potions until I grew out of them. It was kind of a need-it-at-first item for me.

I used them throughout the entire game right up until the final boss.

My party by the end of the game was Fang (COM), Lightning (RAV), Hope (RAV) as default, and switching between that, MED MED MED, and SAB MED SYN. Potions were very handy to keep yourself topped up, 400 HP back when you've about 9000 HP isnt bad. Sometimes it just took too long to switch to MED so I'd throw up a potion then switch during the animation.

I never used them, I found them completely pointless for two reasons.
a) Your HP when back up to full after battles.
b) When you start averaging 10,000+HP then they aren't worth it anymore when a medic could heal you by a couple of thousand.

Hmm....Phoenix Down is quite useful....when the enemy is attacking non-stop...But ever since my medics learned curaja, raise etc, no point...But saving money is a plus...

I never used them, I found them completely pointless for two reasons.
a) Your HP when back up to full after battles.
b) When you start averaging 10,000+HP then they aren't worth it anymore when a medic could heal you by a couple of thousand.
lol, 10,000 HP. Even Snow didnt get that far on my game.

Besides, potions scale to your HP. I was getting 400 a pop without the Doctors Code.

Well my opinion seems to be the same as most. I began using potions, but soon switched to magic due to the fact that magic is more effective. However during the
cid rains
battle I used a few potions to null the damage long enough for my healer to kick in. I played the healer as lightning in this battle (which means no cura for me) because vannile's health simply wasn't high enough to last against
cid rains
even with constant cure and hope was,no,is just hopeless.

Mod edit: added in some spoiler tags =)

Last edited by a moderator:
Elixirs for the Adamant Will trophy, that's about it. Potions were used waayyyy early in the game but not since.

Back