Playstation PlayStation 5 Discussion Thread

Setzer Gabbiani

Dark Knight
Veteran
Gil
This thread is for discussing and posting anything related to the PlayStation 5.

I think that the PlayStation 5 will come with a Backwards Compatibility. With so many great PlayStation 4 games currently on the market, I hardly think that Sony will sacrifice those games by releasing a new console that doesn’t play them. Another thing that I think the PlayStation 5 will come with is a 4K Graphic support. With 4K TV’s been the next big thing right now, it is possible that the console will have this feature implemented, giving the games the best resolution they deserves. Another big feature that I see coming for the PlayStation 5 is a Wireless PlayStation VR.

This combined with the 4K support will bring gaming to another level. With virtual games been a new thing now, this will definitely be a big thing for this upcoming console. I think that the PlayStation 5 will be focusing more on the PlayStation VR by bringing more game titles that supports it. What are you thoughts?

Reactions: Shu
I think the PS5 is still several years out. I think it will (unfortunately) indeed focus a fair amount on 4K. I think they'll focus on VR too, but not as a must have feature just yet. I also think they'll do something with backwards compatibility, but I think they'll first reveal a plan for it on the PS4 at this E3, in order to compete with the one major aspect to the Xbox One they're losing to. Hopefully, they're smart enough to put extra emphasis on upgrading the CPU this time though. Because currently, that's the major bottleneck. And in the next generation if it's not seriously upgraded, those consoles will be in big trouble.

I think people are making way too much of Playstation 5 this year. Yes, the anticipation has started because of word getting out that devs have their hands on PS5 devkits, but that shouldn't be taken as a sign of anything imminent. Just the opposite, in fact. This is the stage where Sony is letting developers test hardware so they can give feedback to shape what the final hardware will be. For example, Nintendo did the same thing with the Switch and developers begged them to include 4GB of RAM instead of the 2GB they originally planned.

Final console hardware is always 1-2 years out of date because it takes time to prepare a console launch and existing components are cheaper and easier to mass produce. That means we're most likely looking at 2020 at the earliest. Mind you, Sony has very little pressure to obsolete their own consoles. Microsoft might have the better hardware with Xbox One X, but they're not a threat on the software front.

Whenever it does come, my guess is the next generation will place a heavy emphasis on improving CPU performance. 2012 was a terrible year for x86 hardware, but that's all Sony and Microsoft had to work with. Nowadays there's much better options that make hitting 60 FPS and native 4K more practical. The main reason the PS4 Pro primarily targets higher resolutions instead of higher framerates is because they really have no choice with their current hardware. It's not as if targeting 4K is somehow sacrificing fidelity or frames. And you better believe Sony will keep their hardware-supported checkboard rendering around for PS5, so that's a non-issue.

The biggest problem I foresee is that even though this solves a major technical hurdle, it might not translate all that well to marketing. To the average consumer, early PS5 games will bear an even stronger resemblance to PS4 games than early PS4 games did to PS3. Sony's best bet is to make PS5 fully backwards-compatible, but that's a double-edged sword. On the one hand, it removes a barrier to upgrade, but on the other, it blurs the line between the consoles even more.

I predict one of two things will happen: either a vast majority of PS4 players will jump to PS5 because why not, or PS4 will have a very long tail even after PS5 releases.

Or you could be playing on PC anyhow and just avoid all this nonsense. :hmmm:

With Sony not attending on the next year Press Conference, people are starting to wonder what is Sony planning to do? The only thing that comes into my mind is the announcement of their next gen console, the PS5. There is no other explanation than that. With the PS4 near to its end cycle, there is a high chance that Sony will be revealing their next gen console at the start of 2020 and releasing it at the end of that same year. My best bet will be on November 2020.

This give the PS4 Slim and the PS4 Pro approximately 2 more years of life before the release of the PS5. It makes sense for the PS5 to be released at 2020 because that year will be it's 25th anniversary. I think that is what Sony is planning to do from the information that they release recently not attending at the 2019 press conference. That is my speculation on this.

Sony Interactive Entertainment CEO Jim Ryan committed to the UN's Playing for the Planet alliance. The UN Environment Committee initiative intends to partner with the video game industry to help make it more sustainable. The next generation PlayStation console will be able to suspend gameplay with a lower power consumption said Ryan. One million PS5 users enabling the feature would save enough electricity to power about 1,000 homes. He said the company will also be conducting a carbon footprint assessment for its gaming services and looking into energy efficient measures at data centers.

Sony will also be working on a variety of messaging initiatives, starting with making sure to inform consumers on energy-saving features in their consoles. It will be providing reference info for developers who want to make games that revolve around sustainability. The company also boasts that it has already been revising its production to become more energy efficient. Revisions to the PlayStation 4 have already saved an estimated 16 million metric tons of carbon emissions. Sony estimates that the total number will rise to 29 million metric tons over the next ten years, which for comparison is equivalent to the entire nation of Denmark in 2017.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps5-will-be-better-for-the-environment/1100-6470014/

I would be surprised if the Playstation 5 release date stretched beyond spring 2021 and will be absolutely no later than fall 2021.

Sony are well tied up for exclusives up until spring 2020 with Death Stranding, The Last of Us Part II, Nioh 2 and Final Fantasy VII Remake; plus the non-exclusive Cyberpunk 2077 and Marvel's Avengers leading into summer... after that, I can't see what Sony's marketing strategy is leading into fall 2020: cue, Playstation 5 release in fall 2020 or preparation of release in spring 2021.

With Sony missing E3 last year and focusing on Spiderman, The Last of Us Part II, Death Stranding and Ghost of Tsushima in 2018 (the former three either having been release or on the verge of release), I suspect the next wave of major first party studio games will almost certainly be for the Playstation 5 with no more major exclusives being announced solely for this generation.

I can see Sony getting Death Stranding and The Last of Us Part II out of the way and then making an announcement around April for a fall 2020 release. If there is no announcement pre-E3 (if Sony were to attend next year) I think it will be spring 2021. Either way I think it will be announced alongside Ghost of Tsushima as a PS5 exclusive either on launch, or very close to launch date.

I would be surprised if the Playstation 5 release date stretched beyond spring 2021 and will be absolutely no later than fall 2021.

Sony are well tied up for exclusives up until spring 2020 with Death Stranding, The Last of Us Part II, Nioh 2 and Final Fantasy VII Remake; plus the non-exclusive Cyberpunk 2077 and Marvel's Avengers leading into summer... after that, I can't see what Sony's marketing strategy is leading into fall 2020: cue, Playstation 5 release in fall 2020 or preparation of release in spring 2021.

With Sony missing E3 last year and focusing on Spiderman, The Last of Us Part II, Death Stranding and Ghost of Tsushima in 2018 (the former three either having been release or on the verge of release), I suspect the next wave of major first party studio games will almost certainly be for the Playstation 5 with no more major exclusives being announced solely for this generation.

I can see Sony getting Death Stranding and The Last of Us Part II out of the way and then making an announcement around April for a fall 2020 release. If there is no announcement pre-E3 (if Sony were to attend next year) I think it will be spring 2021. Either way I think it will be announced alongside Ghost of Tsushima as a PS5 exclusive either on launch, or very close to launch date.

Sony and Microsoft have both already confirmed 2020 releases (which pretty much only means fall of 2020). Otherwise, yeah, I pretty much agree :)

PlayStation 5 releasing on Holiday 2020

What technology can we expect?

Sony has already confirmed that the PS5 will be running on an AMD CPU chip that's based on the third generation of AMD's Ryzen line. It'll be an eight-core, custom-made, beast based on the company's new 7nm Zen 2 microarchitecture. The CPU is a custom variant of AMD Radeon's Navi family, and will support ray tracing - an effect that is a staple of Hollywood, and one that's beginning to appear in high-end PC processors and the Nvidia RTX gaming line.
A big part of that GPU setup will be support for 8K resolutions and ray tracing in PS5 games. The latter is a technology that greatly improves the visual fidelity in games, as it mimics the way light moves and bounces from object to object, particularly reflective surfaces, and refraction through water, other liquids and glass. Given the proper optimizations, games could exhibit more realistic lighting and shadows as a result. In that same Wired interview, Cerny went on to say ray tracing isn't just about visuals, as it can yield audio enhancements for players and developers alike.

It turns out that Sony is also adding a custom unit for 3D audio in the PS5 too, taking the attention to audio and sound improvements to the next level for its upcoming console. "As a gamer," said Cerny, "it's been a little bit of a frustration that audio did not change too much between PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4. With the next console the dream is to show how dramatically different the audio experience can be when we apply significant amounts of hardware horsepower to it.”

Thanks to the fact the PS5 is switching from disc-based hard drives to SSDs, Sony is also changing it's approach to how we store games on the next-gen console. You'll be able to configure exactly what parts of a game you want to store on your machine, "allowing [a] finer-grained access to the data". That means you'll be able to install just the multiplayer, or just the single-player, or delete one or the other once you're done with it.

What will the DualShock 5 be like?

For now, we're going to call it the DualShock 5, building on the naming scheme that Sony has cemented the past few console generations. Although there's no name, Sony has started talking about it. It's going to be heavier than the DualShock 4, but lighter than an Xbox One pad with batteries inside, and aside from USB-C charging, there are two key innovations that are intrinsic to the new pad.

1. Haptic Feedback
Gone is the rumble tech of other controllers, with Sony instead focusing on haptic feedback that's more akin to an iPhone. "With haptics, you truly feel a broader range of feedback, so crashing into a wall in a race car feels much different than making a tackle on the football field," explains Ryan in the PlayStation Blog. "You can even get a sense of a variety of textures when running through fields of grass or plodding through mud."

2. Adaptive Triggers
Building on the sort of tech found in the Xbox One Elite controller, the PS5 pad will focus on adaptive triggers that more accurately represent what you're doing in-game. For example, you'll be able to feel the tension as a draw a bow and arrow, or hit the gas on a rally car across rocky terrain.
"In combination with the haptics, this can produce a powerful experience that better simulates various actions," adds Ryan. "Game creators have started to receive early versions of the new controller, and we can’t wait to see where their imagination goes with these new features at their disposal."

What will the PS5 UI be like?

Sony confirmed to Wired that the PS5 UI is getting "completely revamped" from what we know and love of the PS4's version. The idea is to give you instant access to what single-player missions you could do, or what multiplayer matches you could join without even having to boot up the game.

"Even though it will be fairly fast to boot games, we don't want the player to have to boot the game, see what's up, boot the game, see what's up", says Cerny. "Multiplayer game servers will provide the console with the set of joinable activities in real time. Single-player games will provide information like what missions you could do and what rewards you might receive for completing them—and all of those choices will be visible in the UI. As a player you just jump right into whatever you like."

What about PS5 streaming? Is that going to be a feature?

The PlayStation website revealed a series of slides presented by Sony CEO Jim Ryan at the very same aforementioned corporate strategy event the gameplay load times were shown off at. These slides focus on the company's long and short term future when it comes to PlayStation, and confirmed that PS5 streaming will go hand-in-hand with physical discs and digital downloads as a way to experience games going forward. The deck outlined "a massively enhanced PlayStation community where enriched and shared PlayStation experiences can be seamlessly enjoyed independent of time and place - with or without a console".

Sony and Microsoft announced an unprecedented new partnership earlier in 2019 to develop advanced streaming and cloud technology together. Apparently Sony aims to use the "new partnerships to achieve growth and scale faster than ever before".

This technology will be used to "transition our community to next-gen faster and more seamlessly than ever before", particularly when it comes to backwards compatibility for PS4 games.

Will there be PS5 backwards compatibility for my PS4 games (or older)?

Sony has confirmed that the PS5 will be backwards compatible with your PS4 games. According to the Wired article, the next-gen console won't be a digital only machine, it'll still accept physical media, and because it's based on the PS4 architecture it will be backwards-compatible for PS4 games. There's no word on PS3, PS2 or older games as yet, but no doubt PlayStation Now will be making the move to PS5 too.

However, according to a US patent filed by Sony Interactive Entertainment and spotted by GearNuke, there is reason to believe the PS5 will offer games from the entire PlayStation bloodline. The patent, called "Remastering by emulation" appears to indicate a new method of implementing high-resolution art assets into legacy software "on the fly."

Similar to the "texture packs" PC gamers have been concocting for years, remastering by emulation could serve as a cost-efficient way to improve the graphics quality of older titles without remaking them from the ground up. Sure, it's a stretch to say this equates to the ability to play our PS4, PS3, PS2 and PS1 games on PS5, but even so, we can see how it would be interpreted as such.

This patent isn't the only sign we have that backward compatibility for older PlayStation games is on its way, either. A more recently discovered Japanese patent describes a technique that enables Sony hardware to "determine whether an application is a legacy application or not," and was actually authored by PS5 lead architect Mark Cerny. Moreover, the patent examines the potential for putting imitation legacy chipsets inside newer hardware. In doing so, Sony could avoid the obstructive hurdles that often thwart emulation efforts.

Will there be a PS5 PS VR?

But what of PlayStation VR? In case there were any doubts, Mark Cerny confirmed PS5 compatibility for the original PSVR unit in his interview with Wired. However, he stopped short of suggesting a next-generation PlayStation VR headset is in the works.

"I won't go into the details of our VR strategy today," he said, "beyond saying that VR is very important to us and that the current PSVR headset is compatible with the new console."

However, a selection of leaked PS5 patents have painted a detailed picture of what to expect from a potential PS5 PSVR headset. As spotted by Inverse, Sony has filed a number of patents and trademarks, which include prototype pictures, related to a PS5 PSVR headset. It will apparently cost $250 in the US, boast head and eye tracking technology, and have the option to run wirelessly, with a five hour battery life on a single charge.

In terms of specs, Sony is apparently aiming for a 560-by-1,440 resolution with the PS5's new headset, alongside a 120-hertz refresh rate, and a 220-degree field of view.

For peripherals, Sony could potentially be toying with a VR Glove equipped with haptic feedback, which, when paired with the eye-tracking features of this new headset, could create some mad immersive gaming technology.

What will the PS5 games line-up be like?

As for its games, the PS5's launch library remains as elusive as its release date. Sadly, there's a shortage of trustworthy sources to base our predictions on. Nevertheless, we do know PS5 is "most of the focus" for Sony's first-party studios, with Niko Partners analyst Daniel Ahmad having posted about it publicly on ResetEra. He said that while "a couple of unannounced games" from established franchises are still on their way to PS4, he's confident some of them will come to PS5 as well.

That could mean that The Last of Us 2, and Ghost of Tsushima will be simultaneously released for PS4 and PS5. But as for the rest of the PS5 games, we'll have to wait and see.

Techland has confirmed that Dying Light 2 will also launch on PS5 and Xbox Project Scarlett, and EA has said it is working on next-gen titles right now for launch in 2020. So prepare yourself for an influx.

How much will the PS5 cost?

After the big Wired article that officially confirmed the PS5, Wired's Peter Rubin took to Twitter to relay information that hadn't made it into the original article. That included slight hints towards the potential cost of the PS5. According to Rubin, PS5 architect Mark Cerny said that he "believe that we will be able to release it at an SRP that will be appealing to gamers in light of its advanced feature set".

When pressed on whether that means it will cost more than the PS4's launch price, he wouldn't give any further details, simply saying "that's about all I can say about it".

What it translates to though, is that the price will be relevant to the technology that's under the hood, and because it will be more powerful than the PS4, you can probably bet it'll be more expensive too. Our prediction is that will circle the $500 / £450 price point, but only time will tell.

https://www.gamesradar.com/sony-ps5-release-date-news-specs-features/

Back