PlayStation 5 Discussion Thread

Setzer Gabbiani

Dark Knight
Veteran
Gil
Gold Points
Community Tokens
This thread is for discussing and posting anything related to the PlayStation 5.

I think that the PlayStation 5 will come with a Backwards Compatibility. With so many great PlayStation 4 games currently on the market, I hardly think that Sony will sacrifice those games by releasing a new console that doesn’t play them. Another thing that I think the PlayStation 5 will come with is a 4K Graphic support. With 4K TV’s been the next big thing right now, it is possible that the console will have this feature implemented, giving the games the best resolution they deserves. Another big feature that I see coming for the PlayStation 5 is a Wireless PlayStation VR.

This combined with the 4K support will bring gaming to another level. With virtual games been a new thing now, this will definitely be a big thing for this upcoming console. I think that the PlayStation 5 will be focusing more on the PlayStation VR by bringing more game titles that supports it. What are you thoughts?

ZaXo Ken'Ichi

Disciple of Vivi
Gil
Gold Points
Community Tokens
I think the PS5 is still several years out. I think it will (unfortunately) indeed focus a fair amount on 4K. I think they'll focus on VR too, but not as a must have feature just yet. I also think they'll do something with backwards compatibility, but I think they'll first reveal a plan for it on the PS4 at this E3, in order to compete with the one major aspect to the Xbox One they're losing to. Hopefully, they're smart enough to put extra emphasis on upgrading the CPU this time though. Because currently, that's the major bottleneck. And in the next generation if it's not seriously upgraded, those consoles will be in big trouble.

AuronX

aka LukeLC
Staff member
Global Moderator
Veteran
Gil
Gold Points
Community Tokens
I think people are making way too much of Playstation 5 this year. Yes, the anticipation has started because of word getting out that devs have their hands on PS5 devkits, but that shouldn't be taken as a sign of anything imminent. Just the opposite, in fact. This is the stage where Sony is letting developers test hardware so they can give feedback to shape what the final hardware will be. For example, Nintendo did the same thing with the Switch and developers begged them to include 4GB of RAM instead of the 2GB they originally planned.

Final console hardware is always 1-2 years out of date because it takes time to prepare a console launch and existing components are cheaper and easier to mass produce. That means we're most likely looking at 2020 at the earliest. Mind you, Sony has very little pressure to obsolete their own consoles. Microsoft might have the better hardware with Xbox One X, but they're not a threat on the software front.

Whenever it does come, my guess is the next generation will place a heavy emphasis on improving CPU performance. 2012 was a terrible year for x86 hardware, but that's all Sony and Microsoft had to work with. Nowadays there's much better options that make hitting 60 FPS and native 4K more practical. The main reason the PS4 Pro primarily targets higher resolutions instead of higher framerates is because they really have no choice with their current hardware. It's not as if targeting 4K is somehow sacrificing fidelity or frames. And you better believe Sony will keep their hardware-supported checkboard rendering around for PS5, so that's a non-issue.

The biggest problem I foresee is that even though this solves a major technical hurdle, it might not translate all that well to marketing. To the average consumer, early PS5 games will bear an even stronger resemblance to PS4 games than early PS4 games did to PS3. Sony's best bet is to make PS5 fully backwards-compatible, but that's a double-edged sword. On the one hand, it removes a barrier to upgrade, but on the other, it blurs the line between the consoles even more.

I predict one of two things will happen: either a vast majority of PS4 players will jump to PS5 because why not, or PS4 will have a very long tail even after PS5 releases.

Or you could be playing on PC anyhow and just avoid all this nonsense. :hmmm:

Top Bottom