New to MMO's but going to give this a go....

Luseth

Gil
So, I've never played FFXI or FFXIV partly down to not playing mmo's and partly down to trying FFXII and not quite enjoying the gameplay so much but this was a few years back and I probably didn't give it the time it deserved considering I was 16 and my brain was in my pants at that age.

However I have a £10 steam voucher currently and I'm thinking if I play through the trial and see what I think I can put it towards getting the game if I enjoy it.

Is it still worth playing 14 today? What's the community like? When I do get on board, do you have any suggestions or advice for someone new to it?

I was on my way out, about to hit the Log out button, but I'll reply to this real quick! I'll come back later and flesh out my thoughts, but we're still pretty active in the FFXIV community. Our server is Lamia so feel free to join us.

Here's our Free Company Board for more info: https://www.finalfantasyforums.net/forums/free-company-board.450/

My sub ran out a few days ago, but I'm planning to resub in a couple weeks. But yes, you can still jump in to the game... it'll just take you a few months to get caught up with the latest expansion depending how often you play, but the base game is worth playing anyway, in my opinion.

Hopefully @Ross and @shivas can provide more details than I can at this time, haha.

FF14 is pretty active these days with the release of Shadowbringers expansion :)

I suggest starting with the trial first and see if you like it! it's my first (and only) MMO I played and it's so much fun! coming soon is a big raid collab with NieR Automata if that interests you :8F: I'm pretty excited about it!

FF14 is pretty active these days with the release of Shadowbringers expansion :)

I suggest starting with the trial first and see if you like it! it's my first (and only) MMO I played and it's so much fun! coming soon is a big raid collab with NieR Automata if that interests you :8F: I'm pretty excited about it!

Thank you, I have the trial downloaded and plan to if the baby permits to spend a good few hours the weekend getting stuck in :)

sounds great! if by any chance you’re willing to join our fc, we’re based on Lamia server (Primal)

As others have said, most of us play on Lamia.

Many people have played through all of the expansions by now, but not everyone. I'm still on the first expansion and there are others who are on the main part of the game.

But with FFXIV none of that matters as anyone can help a new person with running dungeons and boss battles, etc. So if you need any help and you are in our server, we've got your back! :polyphemos:

It's a really good time to do with the new xpac having dropped and you're right around the corner from a content patch. And, since you're starting from scratch, you already have your work cut out for ya.

Couple of things I'd recommend:

1. Join an FC (see above posts for the forum's FC on Lamia). If you're new and need people to help you it's the best place to start. I'm oddly solitary when I play games, even MMOs, but most people benefit from using FC resources.

2. The story starts very very slow. By most people's reckoning the story doesn't really kick into high gear until about patch 2.4 which is like 80ish hours of story content. The story isn't bad, but with the exception of a few notable highpoints it won't knock your socks off until you start the buildup for Heavensward. Please stick with it, once you get in to HW you begin one of the best stories Final Fantasy has ever told!

3. The gameplay is very solid and polished so that should remain fun the entire way through for you. I'd recommend you find early on what kind of role you're best suited for. Basically there are 5 key roles: Tank, Healer, Melee, Caster and Ranged. If you're new to MMOs, I'd probably steer clear of tanking and healing as they are the more stressful and important of roles within dungeon and raid content. The three DPS roles function differently but are generally less stressful to learn on, especially in the early game. Just be aware that if you choose a Ranged DPS role, they have sort of been shuffled into a "demi-support" role so you will need to be a bit more alert. (Mr. Happy has done a truckload of Job comparison guides, but that's really more for people who have played around with the system a bit).

4. Stick with the MSQ and do as many local sidequests as you can. This is the fastest way to level your first job. At Level 10 you can try each of the jobs once you get access to the other starter towns (around Level 15) and it's worth testing them all out to get a feel for it, but by the time you hit Level 25-ish on a Job it's best to stick with that Job for the duration of the story unless you're really not liking it. The reason is you get a boost on exp for leveling other jobs based on the difference between it and your highest leveled job (kinda technical, but it's not something you gotta worry about the details of).

5. Take the time to level at least one gathering class and 2-3 crafting classes. It's time consuming but the work will be far smoother if you level these in tandem with your combat jobs. Gathering and crafting are the best way to make Gil in the game, if you're good at it and working the market. Plus you can craft some really cool items for yourself. I recommend Carpenter, Alchemist and Culinarian, though they all have really good options (yours truly mains LTW).

And I could babble for ages but I'll try to crop it off here! Trust me the game is wonderful! Hope you like it!

Thanks all,

I'm quite looking forward to this. Contemplating either an early start tomorrow before the little un wakes up or a late one tonight ^_^

I will make sure I jump on Lamia then and look at joining your FC :)

So, I'm away. The name's Luseth Sicoy, I can't joing the FC yet because it's unavailable?

But it's pretty and i'm enjoying the music and tootling around Ul'dah :)

Saw your character AFK in Ul'dah! Couldn't say hello because it's a bit late and had to log off before you got back.

In regards to the FC, if you're on the trial you probably can't do it. Might be a level requirement too but I'm not sure on that one. If you decide to get the full game then you can join for sure!

@Ross

Can trial users still join linkshells?

That's another option.

In addition to the Free Company, FFF also has a Linkshell (basically a private chat) for members who are in other Free Companies, etc. So that could be a good starting point if the trial prevents you from joining the Free Company.

Saw your character AFK in Ul'dah! Couldn't say hello because it's a bit late and had to log off before you got back.

In regards to the FC, if you're on the trial you probably can't do it. Might be a level requirement too but I'm not sure on that one. If you decide to get the full game then you can join for sure!

Have checked this out, I just have to wait for an invite :) Who do I speak to about getting one?

Have checked this out, I just have to wait for an invite :) Who do I speak to about getting one?

I don't think my character has the power to grant invites or anything so I've asked the Free Company on our Discord so hopefully we can get that dished out to you soon.

Are you sure? I saw this on the support website. Maybe it's a bit outdated.

Restrictions for the FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn Free Trial

The following account restrictions apply during the Free Trial:
·Free trial users cannot use paid optional services (hiring additional retainers, etc.)
·Free trial users are unable to log in to the Lodestone and the official forums.

The following in-game restrictions apply during the free trial:
·[Character Creation Restriction]
-Up to 8 playable characters, restricted to 1 playable character per Home World, can be created with a free trial account.
·[Level Cap]
-Class levels are capped at level 35 for free trial characters.
·[Currency Cap]
-Gil (in-game currency) is capped for free trial characters.
·[Chat Restrictions]
-The chat options /shout, /yell, and /tell cannot be used by free trial characters.
·[Market Board Restrictions]
-The Market Board cannot be used by free trial characters.
·[Trading Restrictions]
-Trades cannot be made with or by free trial characters.
·[Moogle Delivery Service Restrictions]
-The Moogle Delivery Service cannot be used by free trial characters.
·[Retainer Restrictions]
-Retainers cannot be used or hired by free trial characters.
·[Linkshell Restrictions]
- Linkshells cannot be created by free trial characters. However, free trial characters can join already existing linkshells.
·[Free Company Restrictions]
-Free trial characters cannot join Free Companies.
·[Party Restrictions]
-Free trial users cannot invite other players to their party.
-Free trial users cannot recruit party members via the Party Finder.
However, Free trial users can be invited to parties and use the Duty Finder feature.
-Free trial users cannot progress past Floor 10 in the Deep Dungeon.

Please note that free trial users will also be unable to log into the Lodestone or official forums or purchase optional services on Mog Station. All of these restrictions will be removed after upgrading to the full version.

Will definitely try to throw you an invite if I see you online regardless.

Reactions: Six
Back