Most Difficult Dungeon…?

F. F. Fan

Paladin
Veteran
Gil
If there’s something I fully enjoyed in FFXII, it was the amount of challenging dungeons it had to offer and in my opinion, their among the best series thus far.

So, which dungeon (lol, there where a ton of them) did you find to be the most difficult getting through and why?

I have a couple, actually. But I’ll respond with mine later after hearing some other opinions.

The Barheim Passage for me. I liked that part where you had to go across the mines and to your right there was this view of distant structures across a dark sea. I thought that was awesome.

You can't say much about the variety of monsters down there though. There were like what? a ton of toads and bats...that was it.

I'd say the Pharos, probably because it was so long. I remember getting through the first ascent and thinking "Holy crap, there's more?!" I didn't really find any of the bosses or puzzles that challenging though.

The great crystal in Giruvegan was kind of difficult to navigate after finishing the storyline part.

I got stuck in Draklor for awhile too. When I was trying to open the way to the elevator, there was this one door that I neglected to go into because I didn't notice it on the mini-map. I wandered around forever trying to figure it out, deemed it impossible and then finally noticed the door that I missed.

The hardest dungeon would be the henne mines secret area for me :/
Abysteels dealing 2k damage a turn, force you to equip bubble belts. Not to mention that the etems are bloody annoying when they cast annul, reducing mp to 0.

For me it was Stilshrine of Miriam. I was underleveled so it was hard passing through the gang of headless, bombs and beating that horse creature. But the bosses were easy.

for me it was the pharos subterra abyssal and the umbra. thoes freakin undead with all of thoes aliments comming at me at once my remeides couldnt keep up most of the time. but it wasnt too hard once i got a ribbon

also the henn mines pahs 2 was kinda hard with thoes hesteyes always putting confuse on my charaters while casting mlutiple thundagas.

ohhhhh the annyoances.

I kept venturing into the Zertinan caverns underlevelled and it drove me mad. I quite liked it down there once I was FINALLY strong enough I accidenatally stumbled across an esper aswel (I wasn't using the guide so I wasn't expecting it) so I was quite pleased with that.

I hate the pharos more than i hate Monday mornings in work

the pharos were the most tedious and obnoxious dungeon ever put into a final fantasy. the monsters were hard and annoying to kill, there were tons of them, and it was ridiculously long. the next hardest was probably raithwall's tomb.

Lol are we talking about storyline-dungeons? If not then why isn't anyone bringing up the great crystal and Henne mines secret area?

Stillshrine of Miriam for me, that stupid dungeon actually made me stop playing for several months...I got it when it came out last October, stopped playing it in November, didn't touch the bloody thing again till August I think. Even with a walkthrough I kept getting lost in that damn place and kept having to backtrack, and despite my decent level some of the monsters were too much (like the Hell Mares or whatever...damn things chased me all over the place). And then you found out you had to find and move frigging statues and one room I had to go through was full of bombs and oh god, it was horrible x__x

The Pharos was actually really easy for me...it was LONG and BORING but easy. That's probably because I had Vaan, Ashe, and Basch all equipped with Deathbringers so I was KOing things left and right and had that nice spell Vanish for when things ganged up on me (and that psychopath Reddas).

I thought the Pharos was the hardest dungeon. I kept getting pwned. The mobs keep coming at you with their area attacks and stautus ailments. Disease was killer. All my characters that was afflicted with disease kept getting killed as soon as I ressurected them because they were at full HP with only 1 hit point. Plus my characters were pretty strong, so whenever the whole lot of them got confused, it was usually game over. Even though my main party was around level 80, it still gave me a lot of problems.

I thought the Pharos was the hardest dungeon. I kept getting pwned. The mobs keep coming at you with their area attacks and stautus ailments. Disease was killer. All my characters that was afflicted with disease kept getting killed as soon as I ressurected them because they were at full HP with only 1 hit point. Plus my characters were pretty strong, so whenever the whole lot of them got confused, it was usually game over. Even though my main party was around level 80, it still gave me a lot of problems.

Disease? o_O I never encountered that my whole time in there...either that or I had a gambit to get rid of it so I never noticed it. But what were those giant hulking lizard things and those other giant things with no heads, though? Those things sucked, thank god for the Vanish spell.

Stillshrine was hard for me mainly because of those frigging statues constantly coming to life and catching you off guard, plus that room with the three dragon types that bum rushed you...ouch.

You've never had disease? The earth esper uses that alot. It reduces your current and max hp at the same time when you take damage.

The mines near the beginning, just after you get Fran, Balthier and,, later, Basch. At that time, levelling up was harder. It took me 2 - 3 hours to get past those. Haha. The others have been simple enough 'cause I've made sure I'm at a good level.

the basement in the pahos had way to many status atacks. not to mention the annoying magic pots. my gambit were set up to akt the closest monster and they kept on atking it. (i was to lazy to change them)

The Pharos, definitely...especially towards the end - I think that was where those monsters inflicted diseases and so many status ailments on my characters...or was that in Giruvegan? Either way, Pharos was a pain because it was soooo long and boring. I just hated it.

lol yeha it was. too bad it had to be done to fight that freaking dissapointing hunt the seer uhh that fight was sooo tedious

That gave me alot of problems aswel, I kept getting the area map then getting had off by disease, I died so many times that I had some serious temper tantrums that would give ANY angry teenager a run for their money. In the end I gave up and decided I was NOT getting the map (altho I still ended up there once or twice by accident touching the wrong damn way stone) I hated that place so much

VengefulRonin;230236]Stillshrine of Miriam for me, that stupid dungeon actually made me stop playing for several months...I got it when it came out last October, stopped playing it in November, didn't touch the bloody thing again till August I think.

Meh, it was the Leviathan that made me quit for months, I got so lost so many times, then when I eventually got to Ghis he kicked my backside good and proper I was so miffed I decided there was no way I was EVER playing that game ever again. Don't think that technically counts as a dungeon but OMG it irritated me almost as much as the pharos

Last edited:
I really don't know what this 'disease' is. I never had that status effect a single time while I was playing the game.

What ticked me off about the Pharos most though was it's sheer length. It was just so long. I was sort of glad that the Bahamut wasn't a dungeon because after the Pharos, I don't think I could have handled another one. >_<

Back