Latest 'Final Fantasy' may be Sony PS3's final chance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gingerbread Lesbian

Banned
Veteran
Gil
It's a mix between FF and Sony news but it's FF related so I'll post it >.>

Can active time battles, characters called "Lightning" and "Snow", and a convoluted story set in the fantasy world of Pulse turn round Sony's PlayStation 3?

With the launch of Final Fantasy 13 in Japan yesterday (from publisher Square Enix) Sony has entered a crucial period that will seal the PS3's fate.
Final Fantasy is one of Japan's most popular games and in the domestic market number 13 will only be available on PS3. Analysts think that 500,000 Japanese households may buy a Sony console just to play it. The PS3 has lagged well behind Nintendo's Wii and Sony urgently needs to sell more consoles if it is to profit from subsequent software sales.

It now has a chance. With the price cut to $299 the PS3 is affordable to a mass market and with its built-in Blu-ray drive and free online service, Sony's machine is arguably better value than Microsoft's rival Xbox 360. With FF13, and other exclusive titles, such as Uncharted 2 and the upcoming adventures God of War 3, Heavy Rain and The Last Guardian, Sony also has games to sell its machine.

The window of opportunity, however, is short. Microsoft is expected to launch its much anticipated Natal motion controller for the Xbox 360 late next year, while Nintendo may further cut the price of the Wii , or launch an entirely new console.

For Sony, it is not just the final fantasy - it is the final chance.

Source: ft

well, after being completely adamant that i wasNOT getting a PS3 just for this one game, I can now confirm Sony wil have a plus 1 on sales come Feb :mokken:

i think FF fans are mental, and i wont be the only idiot who cant afford it buying a PS3 for this game

I'm perfectly happy with my Xbox 360 and the Microsoft version of the game I'll be getting in March, but I didn't realize that Sony was doing that poor in terms of sales for their latest system. I mean I still want to play Versus FFXIII, but it's not enough to get me to go out and buy the PS3 for JUST that...

I just find it odd that Sony's PS3 would be doing that bad in sales, but I guess it's a combination of maybe coming out a year after the 360, as well as the popularity of some Xbox exclusive games that have been out for years that fans have been sticking to instead of checking out the PS3.

Oh yes sony is at the very bottom right now this really could be there last chance thank god i didnt get one and stuck with an Xbox 360 which i will luv and cherish forever and cant wait for ff13 in march :)

I'd take the article as a pinch of salt, I don't even know where the guy is coming from tbh. The Playstation 3 has sold 4 or 5 times as much in Japan as the 360 and in Europe it's only a few thousand from overtaking the 360 which essentially leaves only the US where the 360 is more dominant than the PS3 :wacky:

There's no point in comparing the PS3 to Wii sales mind, the Wii's a powerhouse.

Well it's true that I had been more or less planning to buy the PS3 for FFXIII. I mean, I bought a PS2 for FFX really. I just lucked out that the PS2 has so many awesome games for me to check out in the meanwhile :P

I do hope Sony does better. I've really only played on a PS1 and PS2 in terms of console gaming, so here's hoping >.<

Because people buy Wii's just for Wii Fit. No lie. But the PS3 isn't far behind the 360, and "final" chance? Come on. The PS3 has 10 years of life to look forward to. Sony always does that. In the end, the price will come down to 100 and people will still be buying it just like they do with the PS2.

When it comes to Japan I think this article is on top, but for the rest in the world if people already owns a xbox they wouldnt buy a ps3 just for FF13, why would they?
They made a big mistake not to keep ff13 exclusive, I think tht would have made better ps3 sales, but they want to reach out to more people instead... FF13 WILL probably be selled a lot, but for ps3 im not sure... do they really think 1 game can make that much of a impact :P

Next year I hope to see major great ps3 exclusives, I will buy (I hope) the ps3 for FF13 and for COD Modern warfare, free online is just the bomb.

I just find it odd that Sony's PS3 would be doing that bad in sales, but I guess it's a combination of maybe coming out a year after the 360, as well as the popularity of some Xbox exclusive games that have been out for years that fans have been sticking to instead of checking out the PS3.

I think Sony just overestimated their pull with the costumer base they had during the 2 previous console generations and just assumed that the PS3 would do as well no matter the competition. They had the Wii coming in and taking over as the console of choice for the casual gamer, and at the same time they had Microsoft making an aggressive push into markets previously held solely by Sony, and they didn't seem to do anything about either.

If you ask me, Sony has already blown their chance, and there's nothing they can do about it at this point. Nintendo and Microsoft have taken huge market chunks away from them, and they've gone from being THE force on the market to being a company that's struggling to keep in second place.

Sony are selling their consoles at a loss, they have been ever since their first PS3 going out for at least 500-600 bucks, but to stay competitive, they had to have a price drop, which came with a loss per system... and they are still losing money even with the Slim, but it's slowly turning around for them.

Sure it may be selling them at a loss, but it's a bargain for customers to get an advanced piece of hardware which can be turned into a computer when the current generation of gaming runs its course. Plus, it has arguably better exclusives, and more still to come - and these exclusives are very well constructed what with their stories and gameplay, take a look at Heavy Rain, God of War, Uncharted to name a few.

Yet in a strange way, it can be compared to the Wii, as both provide their fair share of targetting mass audiences. The Wii with it's family approach, and now with it's more hardcore approach with FPS games and Mature content. The same way as the PS3 are dwelving into supporting games to attract wider audiences, and not to mention their motion controller that'll be coming out, which will challenge Natal's hand-free concept.

In my view, I think the PS3 will (finally) be cashing in on the goods, and it'll stay a long competitor and well adaptable if Nintendo/Microsoft start selling new (proabably next-generation or advanced) gaming consoles, because the PS3 can adapt with it's hardware potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back