Is Final Fantasy VII overrated?

Wtf

FF7 was one of the FIRST REAL 3D RPGs, what do you expect? Besides, those who really loved FFVII, loved it for it's fantastic scenario with so much depth in it...Tell me really, wasn't Cloud or Sephiroth too deep characters? The scenario was SO DEEP, that they released so many extra products (Ultimania, sequels, movie) too clear the history up...Some are talking about Connections between FFVII and other FF!!! I heard rumors of SE remaking FFVII for PS3 with modern graphics-You should really play it in PS3 (when it's released whatever) to criticise the game properly.

Sorry 'bout bad grammar and bad posting...quite new to forums.

supernova said:
They were trying to concentrte on the misson then so they fogot about him.

Not very nice of them, he was part of the team, he could have been the difference between life and death. Actually, at one point he was the difference between life and death :P

FF7 was one of the FIRST REAL 3D RPGs, what do you expect?

Character development on par with other RPGs fromt he same period and earlier installments of the Final Fantasy series?

And it wasn't really 3D, they used prerendered backgrounds.

Besides, those who really loved FFVII, loved it for it's fantastic scenario with so much depth in it...Tell me really, wasn't Cloud or Sephiroth too deep characters?

Not nice, you forgot about the others. What about Cid, Barret etc?

The scenario was SO DEEP, that they released so many extra products (Ultimania, sequels, movie) too clear the history up...

Just because it was confusing at some points doesn't make it deep. The fact that they have to give so much extra proves the story was lacking in several ways.

Some are talking about Connections between FFVII and other FF!!!

They are wrong. Final Fantasy VII is not connected to other Final Fantasies. Are you talking about Shinra from Final Fantasy X-2? That was a silly reference at best, put in there to give fans that "oh, I get that reference, I'm so awesome!" feeling.

I heard rumors of SE remaking FFVII for PS3 with modern graphics-You should really play it in PS3 (when it's released whatever) to criticise the game properly.

Wrong again. That was a tech-demo. Square Enix has never announced that they would use that material for a remake or any game related to Final Fantasy VII.

Last edited:
supernova said:
Well cid was only hanging out with cloud and the gang cause he had no other choise but then they became friends.
RedXIII wanted to go with cloud and gang to cosmo canyon then leave them but bugenhagen told him to go.
Yuffie wanted to stay with them to steal their materia but then when cloud helped her she became friends
Cait sith was their to spy on them but he can't really have a storyline.
Aeris DOES have a storyline herself
Tifa and barrat go with cloud to defeat sephiroth and put an end to shinra.
Can't remember why vincent went with them ?
So most charaters went with cloud just to some point then leave him but they changed their mind.
Also barrat has a past life where his village burned down by shinra and thats why he wants shinra dead.The game itself doesn't focus on other charaters it focuses on the main 3 characters
cloud tifa and aeris
Vincents wanted to find Hojo and possibly find out more about Sephiroth and his own past because of his involvement prior to his sleep.

Ult1Mat3_W3aPoN said:
FF7 was one of the FIRST REAL 3D RPGs, what do you expect? Besides, those who really loved FFVII, loved it for it's fantastic scenario with so much depth in it...Tell me really, wasn't Cloud or Sephiroth too deep characters? The scenario was SO DEEP, that they released so many extra products (Ultimania, sequels, movie) too clear the history up...Some are talking about Connections between FFVII and other FF!!! I heard rumors of SE remaking FFVII for PS3 with modern graphics-You should really play it in PS3 (when it's released whatever) to criticise the game properly.

Sorry 'bout bad grammar and bad posting...quite new to forums.
Everyones heared the rumors. The rumors are false. even the rumors that SE will be remaking FFVII despite that they previously wern't are false! Its time to KILL the rumor!

Last edited:
As with all stories, there are going to be some "useless" characters, or characters less important than the main focus. We do delve into Barret's character a bit in the Corel Prison scenario, and we see glimpses of Cid's character when he becomes leader of the party, and there are certain parts of the game where we do relate to the characters. But asking for anymore game time for these characters would be a segway to the main plot of the game, and the game would ultimately lose focus. It's really a compromise between how much focus you want in the main story, and how much attention you want to garner to the supporting characters--how important are they that they should receive any attention, and is it relevant to the main plot? If the problem is with not having enough material about the supporting characters, and if the idea for an FF7 remake is to be considered, they can make optional sidequests for more information about these characters as they did with Vincent's past.

Ambiguity to some degree is acceptable in a storyline because you're allowed to ponder over the possibilities, and as my friend would say, it gives fanfiction writers a bit more creative license over what they can write. But given the timeline of the story and the focus, we've never looked into the events closer to the flashback five years ago, or what exactly happened at the end of the game. If we had to spend more time on the flashback, it would remove the focus and suspense from the main plot--we're also lead with the group to uncovering Cloud's past, or some of it at least, enough to know what Sephiroth wants. Anymore, and we would be going into unnecessary details that would only serve as a red herring to the main plot. If the developers decided to make Core Crisis to pick up on those details, it's most likely out of interest and speculation. I won't dismiss fanservice, since that's a large part of popularity, but that alone won't cut it.

So basically what you're saying is that all of the characters had to have deep and meaningful parts? They all had to be connected perfectly in some way? Nah, I don't go for that, but I will show how they did tie into the story:

Cloud and Tifa - Obvious, but I'll explain: Cloud and Tifa both worked for Avalanche. After the second mission, Cloud was separated and tried to find Tifa and Barret again, losing the dear friend Aeris in the process. After rescuing Aeris, the left Midgar in aim of finding Sephiroh.

Barret - Wanted to save the entire planet from dying. He also tried to exact revenge on the Shin-Ra for destroying his hometown and killing his loved ones. We don't see much more, besides what he feels when visiting Coral. His emotions overcome him - he heads of in search for Dyne on his own.

Aeris - Must I go over her significance?

Red XIII - Tied in with Aeris, he promised to help on the way till Cosmo Canyon. When he got there, he learned of his past, and his parents. His grandfather convinced him to help save the planet, futile as it might seem. He loses his grandfather, his father and his mother to an invasion.

Yuffie - Headed off from Wutai to find Materia in hopes of restoring her historical village. She has father issues and ends up fighting him, having it out with him about everything.

Vincent - Tied in with the story of Sephiroth, he believes himself to blame for allowing the character of Sephiroth to run free and for Lucrecia to have been abused like she was. He hates Hojo and hopes to seek revenge on him for ruining the one thing he held dear to him. He also was a member of the Turks.

Cid - Lost everything he held dear because of the Shin-Ra. He joins you in retreat from them. He then joined you because he had nothing left, besides Shera. Don't you think he secretly loved her?

and adding to clouds ^
sephiroth and him used to be friends until he foud out they were created.

The Sephiroth Gene said:

I played the game, thank you. And what you just typed doesn't say all that much about the characters, it's mostly background story plus some (shallow) motivations. Fire Emblem characters are related one other in some way and/or are part of a larger background story, yet most of them only say a few lines. No character development...

Remember the little dating thing in the first half of the game? That was a nice idea, they should have expanded that. Make it optional and it won't distract from the main focus. This kind of interaction worked for games such as Grandia and Star Ocean.

Tomara said:
I played the game, thank you. And what you just typed doesn't say all that much about the characters, it's mostly background story plus some (shallow) motivations. Fire Emblem characters are related one other in some way and/or are part of a larger background story, yet most of them only say a few lines. No character development...

Remember the little dating thing in the first half of the game? That was a nice idea, they should have expanded that. Make it optional and it won't distract from the main focus. This kind of interaction worked for games such as Grandia and Star Ocean.

I understand how you feel and I wouldn't try to change that. However, I must question why you quoted a single word, "stuff", then explained that you had played the game, implying I said you hadn't.

Hmmz...? They don't do that one these forums? I thought it was pretty common. When you person you want to quote has just posted and it's a lot of text, it's not uncommon to replace the actual quote with a few words, it saves space. It's kinda like saying: @somebody

If that's the netiquette of the forum, I'll follow it.

Point still stands though. A few links a little background story do not make a character any less flat. To properly develop the character they would need more screentime.

FF VII was like one of the best in its series...i dont think there is any Rpg game better than FF VII that i have played at least and ive played alot

Tomara you really write history right now...In this forum...

I personally have played and finished 10-15 Rpgs (FFIV-V-VII-VIII-IX-X,Breath of fire 4, Grandia, Alundra 2, SuicodenI-II,Terranigma, and some others that I can't remember right now)...You surely ARE an RPG MASTER, having played 106!!! Well you have right in many points...The story is VERY confusing, leaving you the sense of "WOW! WHAT A F***ING STORY! That means Final FANTASY"...and they really have OverDone it with those sequals...Now Sephiroth is an item that brings money to Square-Enix... Did you see Last Order? It's quite a crap as I have read in forums, another example of the Sephiroth Money-Maker. They simply say "Hey let's make another crap movie with cool-spikey haired Cloud and Evil Sephiroth!" Some even WORSHIP him ! Omfg, he's just a virtual character, a lie, nothing else...

Sorry ONCE AGAIN for my crappy english (should write this to my signature :D)

Last edited:
Hey i didn't post this to offend you...editing

But WTF does that shit mean? "You wanna shoot that pun in Tethar Atrum's direction?"

Last edited:
Back