Is Final Fantasy VII overrated?

Tomara

Blue Mage
Gil
A friend of mine posted this rant almost two years ago. He is one of those people who never got into Final Fantasy VII. After trying to replay the game I understand why. Final Fantasy VII has not aged well. The graphics look dated and were never of particular beautiful design to begin with. High polygone count does not make a game pretty.

The gameplay is not deeper or more original than various newer and older RPGs have to offer. It's your basic turn-based battle system with a twist. Yes, Materia was a nice twist, but it's not a perfect system. When playing the game normally, the player is never forced to consider what the best options are, just pick the best materia you have. It is no system with depth, leveling is the only true option to optimize your equiped materia.

The story? Yes, it was interesting, but most of the characters are huge clichés or at the least very flat. What depth did Barret offer? He was a tough guy, but also had a soft side. That is all. That is not depth.

Don't take me wrong. I enjoyed the game when I first played it and it has it merits, but it is no second coming. There are many games that aged better and still manage to capture new fans. I'm getting pretty sick of the attitude of rabid fans towards other gamers who do not like the game. I agree with Rodi's little rant, some of the Final Fantasy VII should let go of their nostalgia and enjoy other games, they are missing a lot of excellent games.

Last edited:
No way ff7 is not overatted at all. There are not many games on the PS1 that are as good as ff7 either and the ones that are good ive already played like MGs and the other ff's.Barrat is not meant to be a mega tough guy. All he is is a guy who loves his family and gets angry when shinra is involved with his family. He has had a hard history as well like his village being burned down by shinra.Just because the graphics are not good dosn't mean that the game is bad. Back in 1996 this game probably had the best graphics.About the materia have you fought ruby and emerld weapon. You ARE forced to make a certain materia combination against those so i think ff7 is not overated

He looks like Mr. T. Look at how he acts during the game. He gets one moment to shine and than it's back to the clich?, practically forgetting all the so-called character development he recieved. Final Fantasy VII threats most characters that way.

And face it, the character models used on the worldmap and such have always been ugly. The only thing good about them was that Final Fantasy VII was one of the first games to use such models, but that doesn't make them any less crappy and undetailed. Squaresoft could have done much better with plain old pixels.

As for the materia... those are optional bosses (and most people took the solution to their boss-fighting problems from GameFaqs anyway), during the storyline (which is 40 hours long) next to no thought about materia combinations is required. Just use the strongest you have, even if it's only to boost stats, and you'll do fine.

Final Fantasy VII is by no means perfect, it has plenty of flaws, yet people praise it as if it is the greatest things since sliced bread, that makes it overrated.

well concidering ff7 is on a compact disc which can only store up to 650-750 mb and it didn't have any disc space left so how could it's graphics improve ?
And it's a PS1 game

Disc space has little to do with it and the Playstation can handle much more than Final Fantasy. The inexperience of the designers and the poor design was what made the game ugly. I'm sure they could have made a much more beautiful game with 2D graphics. Games like Legend of Mana sure look nice, don't they? Final Fantasy VIII and IX were big steps forward, you can't argue that.

Yeah but 1996 got it memorized ff8+9 were not out then.
It's like ps2 eairlier ps2 game have poorer graphics than newer ones so ff7s graphics back then were amazing for ps1

The specs of the hardware have not changed, the Playstation has always had the same specifications. Discs were always the same size. What is the difference? The skills of the developer. At that time the developer was more skilled with 2D graphics. They could have made a better looking game using sprites.

And it doesn't matter if the graphics were 'amazing' back then, the graphics have aged very poorly due to poor design. Technologically advanced does not equal gorgeous.

BTW if you really want to prove Final Fantasy VII is not overrated, why are you focusing on the graphics? :P

The thing you really have to relize is tahts the entire point. A team who at the time had little experiance beyond the 2d dimensions that were video gaming. Think of the time it was released. I mean the playstation was available in Japan in 1994. SO take into consideration the 2 years of development they had to go through. It was new technolgy, being run and tried with a new style, and way of doing things. It in fact was there trial of testing 3d tech for a Final Fantasy Instalment. I mean shure they never were preety, but your also comparing it to playstation games that came out after it did, not around the same time. Compare it to the releases of around the same timeframe and all the games look like that, blotchy and not to attractive. You cant make something amazing your first attempt, so give that to them, they did a damn good job.

Second its also so overhyped because its a classic. First Final Fantasy on a 3d platform. It was most peoples venture into the Final Fantasy series compleetly. i dont know about you but it was for everyone i know, including me. Its what started the love for the games, and introduced many to this japaneese phenomina. Shure its not perfect no game is. You cant have a perfect games so complaining about its imperfections is usless just enjoy the game for what it is and was.

Third, the story was imense. It was something unheard of. mixing religious ideals ( not from a mainstream religion but teh lifestream being based off of faith), cloaing, and scientific mutations. The story was deep and involved a dark overshadow of corperal coruption. I mean sure you may not think of it as deep. But seriously thats a heavy subject. Just depends i guess on the overall person. For its time the story delt with many issues that no videogame had dared to even mention ( i mean i somhow doubt marrio the fire spiiting plumber was trying to stop kuppa from destroying and killing sencless thousands by the mass, or rule the world with an iron fist.).

Forth, your projecting on barret. your using his immage to classify what he should be like. Who ever said he had to be the hardass killer. His whole motives for doing everything he did were passed on saving, and helping people. His demenor arrose from where he grew up, minning, and living a poor rugged life. Like stated before he just wanted to help others out, he may of acted like a hardass but it was sort of his way of being who he is. Its how he grew up. To call him unimportant because he wasnt the way you thought i mean whatever. He had good characterization it seems like you just dont picture him being the way he is.

I mean the thing is your trying to bash on a game released ten years ago, Sure to games of the new age with graphics that look like your starring into a real person it does look outdated, and even some of the latter PS1 games. But notice that all ps1 games started like that and got better, its because you cant just shoot into a new area and boom everything is perfect. You may think its overated and whatever thats your opinion, but its almost as if your fishing for reasons to bash on it. Its a game just have fun with it.

Back in the days, FF7 actually was considered as having good graphics. Now of course, it seems obsolete. But then again, you're speaking to someone who would rather play a good SNES game than DMC or any of those other latest PS2, XBox or GC games. As for the materia system, there's actually a lot you can do with them. Of course, there's always going to be some materia better than others, but the real challenge would probably have to be with beating the weapons. Getting to know and learn to use some materia can help you win, but for the most part, I found FF7 to be fairly easy. However, that doesn't mean it wasn't fun because it was fun. That's partly why I liked it.

Even good storylines will have a few stereotypes here and there, but only because we can associate or relate to them. However, Cloud isn't that much of a cliche, and neither is Sephiroth. In fact, I have so much interest in Sephiroth's character and analysis, that I have found him to be one of the most unique antagonists that I know of.

Do I think FF7 is overrated? Only because the fans make it that way. But that doesn't mean FF7 is a bad game; it is a great classic. But many of the new games are just not cutting it anymore, and losing their innovation. After Katamari, there isn't much else out there.

Lobojo321 said:
The thing you really have to relize is tahts the entire point. A team who at the time had little experiance beyond the 2d dimensions that were video gaming. Think of the time it was released. I mean the playstation was available in Japan in 1994. SO take into consideration the 2 years of development they had to go through. It was new technolgy, being run and tried with a new style, and way of doing things. It in fact was there trial of testing 3d tech for a Final Fantasy Instalment. I mean shure they never were preety, but your also comparing it to playstation games that came out after it did, not around the same time. Compare it to the releases of around the same timeframe and all the games look like that, blotchy and not to attractive. You cant make something amazing your first attempt, so give that to them, they did a damn good job.

When asking for FFVII's strongest points the obsessive fans often bring up the graphics, they were revolutionary and such. I guess they were, but that doesn't make them beautiful or anything. If you say FFVII's graphics are good you do many games injustice.

Second its also so overhyped because its a classic. First Final Fantasy on a 3d platform. It was most peoples venture into the Final Fantasy series compleetly. i dont know about you but it was for everyone i know, including me. Its what started the love for the games, and introduced many to this japaneese phenomina. Shure its not perfect no game is. You cant have a perfect games so complaining about its imperfections is usless just enjoy the game for what it is and was.

There are many people out there who started earlier or later with playing RPGs. I started when Final Fantasy VI barely existed, my brother started with Suikoden, my sister's first Japanese RPG was Paper Mario 2... First times are often special, we tend to coat them in sugar and believe no other experience can be as sweet. But, nostalgia does not make a game good.

That is the problem with many people who rate Final Fantasy VII so high, the layer of sugar is so thick, it covers up all the imperfections. I never said the game was bad or anything, I enjoyed it when I first played it, but I do think it's reputation is rediculous.

The rating should be based on what all players think of it, not just on the opinions of the players who started with Final Fantasy VII. True timeless classics have an appeal that is lasting. I very much doubt FFVII has that appeal and therefore it should not have the status it has been given by obsessive fans.

Third, the story was imense. It was something unheard of. mixing religious ideals ( not from a mainstream religion but teh lifestream being based off of faith), cloaing, and scientific mutations. The story was deep and involved a dark overshadow of corperal coruption. I mean sure you may not think of it as deep. But seriously thats a heavy subject. Just depends i guess on the overall person. For its time the story delt with many issues that no videogame had dared to even mention ( i mean i somhow doubt marrio the fire spiiting plumber was trying to stop kuppa from destroying and killing sencless thousands by the mass, or rule the world with an iron fist.).

The quality of the story also depends on how it is told and it's characters, wouldn't you agree? Which ties in with the next point I'm going to make.

Forth, your projecting on barret. your using his immage to classify what he should be like. Who ever said he had to be the hardass killer. His whole motives for doing everything he did were passed on saving, and helping people. His demenor arrose from where he grew up, minning, and living a poor rugged life. Like stated before he just wanted to help others out, he may of acted like a hardass but it was sort of his way of being who he is. Its how he grew up. To call him unimportant because he wasnt the way you thought i mean whatever. He had good characterization it seems like you just dont picture him being the way he is.

That's nice, but we don't see much of that in the game, do we? Most characters had one moment to shine (Cid and his rocket, Barret facing the past etc.), but were almost forgotten the rest of the time, they were just there to say some generic lines. Final Fantasy VII brings up some heavy subjects, but only a few of the characters get to state their opinion on matters. There is very little interaction between the characters (possibly because the party is so big). And, because there are so many characters in your party, everyone's screentime is reduced.

I mean the thing is your trying to bash on a game released ten years ago, Sure to games of the new age with graphics that look like your starring into a real person it does look outdated, and even some of the latter PS1 games. But notice that all ps1 games started like that and got better, its because you cant just shoot into a new area and boom everything is perfect. You may think its overated and whatever thats your opinion, but its almost as if your fishing for reasons to bash on it. Its a game just have fun with it.

I enjoyed the game when I first played it, why would I bash it? I just think it doesn't deserve it's godlike reputation. Like I said before, they are games that aged better. Look at all those SNES games they ported to the GBA, games like Tales of Phantasia are considered perfectly playable nowadays.

Ok incase your forgetting FF7 is just that, Number 7. there are alot more ff games out now, going on 12 right now. your comparing Games that came out AFTER ff7 and saying they were better. Not perfectly playable? where are you getting this info from? if your talking about yourself thats ok but there are over 6 Billion ppl on this world and i bet some of them play it also.
and if it hasnt aged well why is there dirge of cerebrus coming out. along with Advent children that recently came out also?

I definately agree, that Final Fantasy VII is by far overrated, with the shallow characters, the weak, convoluted plot...I couldn't get into it at all. Compared with the earlier Final Fantasies it was dramatically weaker, even 1 which started it all. Final Fantasy Tactics which came out later than it was far deeper and better overall, but since then the series has seemed to fall even more downhill.

Me, right now, I hate Square's milking of the Final Fantasy VII franchise. Everywhere you turn it seems there is something new coming out from it, when none of them have any substance at all. Dirge of Cerebus? Copying Devil May Cry and putting a FF spin on it, just to get some cash. Advent Children? Eye candy nothing more, with even less story to it than the game. Sigh.

The problem is people overlook newer, far better games saying that FFVII is the end all and be all of video games. How about games like Fable? KOTOR? Baldur's Gate? Chrono Cross? All of these are head and shoulders above FFVII, but the fans of the game won't admit it, and it's too bad really, because games like those deserve more recognition.

Agreed. It's highly overrated, but it's not a horrible game. I factor the overhype on two things - Sephiroth, clearly--and the death of leading lady love, Aerith. But other than that, it's just not much to me. XD

Btw, totally hated chocobo breeding, but that's for another thread. :lol:

The_Chosen_One said:
Ok incase your forgetting FF7 is just that, Number 7. there are alot more ff games out now, going on 12 right now. your comparing Games that came out AFTER ff7 and saying they were better. Not perfectly playable? where are you getting this info from? if your talking about yourself thats ok but there are over 6 Billion ppl on this world and i bet some of them play it also.
and if it hasnt aged well why is there dirge of cerebrus coming out. along with Advent children that recently came out also?

I also mentioned games older than Final Fantasy VII that aged better. Look at Tales of Phantasia, recently ported to the GBA, plays like a GBA game, doesn't it?

Now look at Final Fantasy VII, if that game was ported to a handheld it would just feel old. There are games out there with better gameplay. Games with a better story. Games that are prettier. What makes Final Fantasy so great? The graphics look dated and some aspects (characters on worldmap) are poorly designed. Story? More character development would have been nice. Gameplay? It requires little strategy or thinking in general, aside from limit breaks the differences between characters are very minor, plan old ATB and so on... Final Fantasy VII is not the game you play because of its gameplay.

They are making those sidestories and movies because there are rabid fans running around. Look at Advent Children, it not much more than absolutely gorgeous, dripping with awesomeness, fanservice. Fanservice... Maybe they will truely expand on the original game with the new games, but I kinda doubt that.

FFVII by far isn't an overrated game. Like any game, it was at it's prime when it was released. Like Zelda: Ocarina of Time, for example. Graphically it was a great game, but nowadays, it's like, "bleh". FFVII had a great story, great gameplay, really captured that adventuring sense that is usually absent in most games today, and really gave a sense of depth with all of its characters.

Graphics wasn't the strong suit of FFVII, in fact, the only downside to the game when it was released was that the characters looked like those little lego people. But what FFVII did well, is what's missing in most of the games developed today. Great story, true sense of adventure (for RPGs and Action/Adventure games), fun and interesting gameplay, and puzzles.

What was so great about the gameplay? I thought it was rather basic. Straightforward dungeons, little variaty in battles...

It was classical gameplay; good gameplay in the sense of a throwback. I'm not trying to say that was the major element that made FFVII a great, just one of the things that was interesting about it. The first 3D FFVII game, but keeps the same classic elements of the games we grew up playing.

Zelda (Ocarina of Time) was also great in the same way, but unlike FFVII put a new twist on the original system. I was just listing an example.

But still, FFVII is by far overrated. At least in my book, it rates higher than FFVIII and FFX. It had a better story and better characters.

This Game is WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY overrated.I mean sure it`s actually good enough to play through 2 or 3 times but that`s it FFVIII,FFIX,FFX has alot of replay value they also have better battle systems,better storylines,and more and better sidequests

Back