Is Final Fantasy VII overrated?

Final fantasy 7 is what ruined the Final Fantasy Series before final fantasy 7 all of the final fantasy games were great. Final fantasy 7 made people that never played an rpg game talk like they knew everything about rpg games. The only system that had any great rpgs was snes.

Hey TSG
you mean tethar worships sephy
there's nothing wrong with that

Ult1Mat3_W3aPoN said:
Tomara you really write history right now...In this forum...

I personally have played and finished 10-15 Rpgs (FFIV-V-VII-VIII-IX-X,Breath of fire 4, Grandia, Alundra 2, SuicodenI-II,Terranigma, and some others that I can't remember right now)...You surely ARE an RPG MASTER, having played 106!!! Well you have right in many points...The story is VERY confusing, leaving you the sense of "WOW! WHAT A F***ING STORY! That means Final FANTASY"...and they really have OverDone it with those sequals...Now Sephiroth is an item that brings money to Square-Enix... Did you see Last Order? It's quite a crap as I have read in forums, another example of the Sephiroth Money-Maker. They simply say "Hey let's make another crap movie with cool-spikey haired Cloud and Evil Sephiroth!" Some even WORSHIP him ! Omfg, he's just a virtual character, a lie, nothing else...

Sorry ONCE AGAIN for my crappy english (should write this to my signature :D)

I have to say, that's a pretty nice list. Not many people bother playing games like Terranigma and Breath of Fire IV, but I think they are quite good (loved the battle system in BoFIV and Terranigma is usually in my top 10) I compliment you for being openminded, unlike a certain SNES-worshipper...

topnotchwholesale, have you played any recent RPGs other than the Final Fantasies you obviously didin't like? Both the 32-bit and 128-bit generation offer some excellent games. Small developers and publishers like Atlus and Nippon Ichi are making a name for themselves. If you have played the old MegaTen games, I'm sure you will enjoy the new installment, Persona and Digital Devil Saga. Or have you tried the Fire Emblem games for the GBA and Cube? Those games stay true to their roots, even after a switch to 3D. Old-school fun. Speaking of old-school, you know Ys, right? Ys: The Ark of Napishtim (available for PS2) is pretty good, I suggest you try it. If you don't want too... that's your loss.

Anyway, back to Final Fantasy VII. I don't know much about Last Order yet and frankly I'm not very interested in it. Advent Children was enough fan service to me and IMO the whole story wasn't really neccesary. Maybe I'll give Vincent's game a chance, I liked him as a character, but I'm affraid it won't be much more than flashy fanservice either.

I'm all for a remake though. It doesn't have to be a PS3 game. Square Enix likes putting old Final Fantasies on handhelds. I'm all for a PSP version with enhanced graphics (just change those character models, backgrounds look fine) and story expansion.

BTW RPGmaster is a big word, I know people who are a lot worse than I am. And it's not like I play just anything, I usually dislike PC RPGs for instance. So a lot of people will outshine me in that aspect :) And you know, I don't really care how many RPGs other people have finished (my counter is more of a joke, really), but I think it's important that people are openminded, give other games a chance.

I just LOVE Terranigma...Enix did a really nice job! But the bad thing is...The game was in German language and, although I finished it, I didn't understand the whole scenario (like FFVIII)...Especially in the end, when I went to the starting village and all people were souls that hunted you, then you go to where souls go (or whatever) then you fight 2 bosses and then you return to the village again and then 4 souls turn around you and say something for a god-and then u are again in your village, all people o.k., and then you sleep and then dream you are a flying bird, and then someone knocks your houses door and...HOLY SHIT I HATE GERMAN LANGUAGE! Didn't understand a ****...Worse than trying to understand FFVII the first time i played it (12 years old) rofl-wafflkartoffl!

Well when i first played ff7 i was 8 and i didn't understand the story at all lol

Ult1Mat3_W3aPoN said:
I just LOVE Terranigma...Enix did a really nice job! But the bad thing is...The game was in German language and, although I finished it, I didn't understand the whole scenario (like FFVIII)...Especially in the end, when I went to the starting village and all people were souls that hunted you, then you go to where souls go (or whatever) then you fight 2 bosses and then you return to the village again and then 4 souls turn around you and say something for a god-and then u are again in your village, all people o.k., and then you sleep and then dream you are a flying bird, and then someone knocks your houses door and...HOLY SHIT I HATE GERMAN LANGUAGE! Didn't understand a ****...Worse than trying to understand FFVII the first time i played it (12 years old) rofl-wafflkartoffl!

Terranigma had a wonderful ending, but it was also a bit confusing and open to speculation. Maybe I can clarify a few things for you?

Spoilers ahead...

A few things are for certain though. Crysta was a copy of Storkholm, created more or less as a back-up by Dark Gaia (no wonder the town can be found in the underworld...). Ark was being used all this time, he was even betrayed by Yomi, who was pretty much his guide throughout the whole ordeal. He resurrected the world, not for good, but for evil. When he merged with his light persona, the late hero of the surface world, he knew the truth and wanted to set things right. Dark Gaia, of course, wasn't to happy with that and therefore didn't welcome him back into the underworld. He defeated Dark Gaia, but here was no room for him the resurrected world of Light Gaia. He was, however allowed to enjoy his home, Crysta, for one more day. Afterwards we see him flying as bird, a symbol of freedom, experiences the wonderful world he has restored and protected. His final dream is watching the world grow old, IIRC that is what is said in the game.

Now, the rest is speculation. The knocking on Elle door, many believe it's Ark returning to see the love of his life again. Nobody can say that for certain though...

Damn, they should port this game to the GBA or something, that handheld needs a good action RPG and Terranigma could use more appreciation. I don't know who 'they' are though. The developer, Quintet, doesn't exist anymore and I kinda doubt the rights are owned by the publisher (Enix, or more correctly: Square Enix). On the other hand, if the game does not have a righful owner, using a ROM isn't exactly illegal...

Last edited:
Thanks! Seems too clear now...Imagine finishing an RPG (like Terranigma) that is wroten in an Foreign language and you can understand only the 30% of what is going on in the game. Haha in German version the characters have even changed names (Elle was Melina, Yomi had another name and so on). Well that spoils game experience and the Germans overdo it. I mean, I find a good game in a good price and when I play it it's all German! FFs :D

I believe Terranigma has even more secrets and side quests than Final Fantasy series. They may be not so enthusiastic as those from FF (example-in FF, you train 10 hours more to beat OMEGA, when you kill him, imagine the joy the player has. In Terranigma, you try to find some people holding important information so cities can grow up...and that's all).

Omg I think I overdid it...It's an FFVII thread and i'm talking 'bout Terranigma :D

I'm sure mods have the ability to splice topics, giving this little Terranigma talk it's own space in the gaming in general area.

I had no idea they changed so much in the German version though. Maybe I'll look into that, my German is pretty good and I'm sure it can't be worse than playing Fire Emblem games in Japanese :)

Enough of the Terranigma talk please this is the FFVII area afterall.
Oh and nock it off with the comments about me aswell.
Anyone insulting me for worshiping Lord Sephiroth will be banned from this site I mean it.

So keep the talks on topic or I will start handing out warnings.

Well someone has a stick up his... :P

Do mods and admins have the ability to split topics? Maybe the little Terranigma talk could be moved to another, more appropiate forum. If not, I'll start a new topic and copy and paste a few things.

Do you seriously worship that Sephiroth guy? I never really liked him. Bishy freak with an Oedipus complex :P

Should I take that as a "no we can't split threads, shut up"?

Anyway, I'll get this back on topic. Sephiroth is one of the reasons why Final Fantasy VII is so popular, but I never really understood why. The way I see it he was a respectable and strong warrior once, but the Sephiroth we meet in the game is a total nutcase. He kills innocents, sets a village ablaze and wants to destroy the world with Meteor. Not a likable character, he commits horrible crimes and has disgusting goals. Why would anyone like a mad criminal like that?

Yes, he is a character girls drool over and males seem to like his sword, but he is insane and dangerous. If he saw you, he would probably kill you on the spot.

This is what I mean by characters being overrated because they are appreciated for all the wrong reasons.

I wrote plenty of material analyzing Sephiroth's character before on another forum, but I'll repeat some of it anyways.

A lot of people, fangirls/fanboys or not, usually think of Sephiroth as an evil villain, but they don't understand why he does what he does. How would you feel if you were never told that you were someone's pet project, and were brought into the world, not knowing that you were just created as a science experiment, and serving really no other purpose? When Sephiroth found out and confirmed it, he went insane. We pity him for that, and we feel sorry for him because he could have had an otherwise normal life. Because of what Hojo has done to him, he starts to hate him and the rest of humanity. When we see him in the flashback, he shows no indication of opening up towards other people, in comparison to Zack/Cloud. It could be said it's a part of his professionalism, but given the way he was possibly raised, and how he has failed to connect with humanity, it's very likely conceivable for him to antagonize humans. It's because he knows and realizes that he is different from all those other humans, and it separates him from them. So he relates to Jenova. Thus his reasonings for antagonizing humanity are quite clear--he reacted as pretty much any other person would to what he has become and started associating himself with Jenova because she wasn't human and was related to her by his Jenova cells. Unlike some typical villains, Sephiroth actually has a reason for being the way he was. If he didn't, we would call him truly evil, just as Kefka is. Kefka has no reason to destroy the world. He just does. (which is interesting, because you made it sound like Sephiroth was evil for no particular reason. If Sephiroth weren't so handsome, according to the way you see it, he wouldn't be much different from Kefka.)

Feel free to disagree with me, but if you do, Tethar will most likely haunt you with his quotes from the Omega guide or whatever it's called.

If you want to start a topic on Terranigma, go ahead and create a thread in the appropriate forum.

I won't disagree with you on the analysis of the character, as far as I know it's spot on. But I can't like him or feel pity for him. His past is sad, but isn't his reaction partly based on a misunderstanding? IIRC he was genetically changed with Jenova cells, but concieved as a normal human. Not that that really changes things, but it felt as if he jumped to the wrong conclusions and the results were terrible. He directed his anger towards humanity as a whole, not just the people who did that to him.

Last edited:
You have an extremely valid analysis there, Angelus.

Tomara, if you can't agree with the fanbase, or worshippers of Sephiroth, then no one's going to force you. As Angelus said, however, Tethar will definitely haunt you down with quotes from the guide ... Ultima Omega Guide? Something to that affect. :P

You could say that he went insane from the discovery that he was just a lab experiment, and so lost his reasoning and jumped on humanity instead. If we could know that he was really antisocial or didn't connect with humanity in his life as a general, it might also explain how his hatred of them deepens after that event.

Of course, it could have been what he read in the basement. Remember, there's no indication that what he read contained any of Ghast's discoveries about Jenova not actually being an Ancient. So Sephiroth believed that he was one, and that the humans were traitors because they gave up their way of life as Cetra. Perhaps he shouldn't have antagonized every single human, but Hojo was human, and he believed he was Cetra and different from them.

I guess I don't really have a problem with his decisions anyways. I myself don't have much hope or faith in humanity. Sephiroth could have seen that he was fighting pointless and hopeless wars for humanity, and they did nothing but cause problems; just some futile wars that changed nothing. And then Shinra is up to no good. At one point, I almost thought he had wanted to save the planet by removing the source of the problem: humanity. The people that use the mako reactors, and the people that encourage their use.

His reasoning is very simple, too simple for my taste. He wanted to destroy many innocent lives in order to achieve his goal, destroying humanity was pretty much his goal... It gave me a good reason to kick his butt, but I will never like his ideals.

Okay, there are some cases I'll go along with an antagonist like that. I let Fou-lu destroy the world, because I thought he had a pretty good reason and he had more or less the rights to do what he did too. You'll probably understand what I mean if you've played the game.

I'll comment on the thread and then the in-thread comments.

As for FFVII being overrated, yeah, probably. But anything that becomes mainstream usually is. People will associate terms of perfection to it even when we know it's not. But this is true for many games (and books, movies, etc.) and FFVII isn't a special case, IMO.

His reasoning is very simple, too simple for my taste. He wanted to destroy many innocent lives in order to achieve his goal, destroying humanity was pretty much his goal... It gave me a good reason to kick his butt, but I will never like his ideals.

Perhaps, but it more complex than say, Kefka's who never given a reason at all (mind you, I love Kefka too but this always bothered me). And you're oversimplifying it a little. First he wanted to destory humanity because of what humanity did to the planet and to the Cetra. After the lifestream visit he alters his goals to want to become a god. Unfortunately we're never given an exact reason for why he changed his mind but as far as I can perceive it probably has to the due with the fact that the lifestream really messes with a person's mind. Who knows what he saw or heard in there...

Okay, there are some cases I'll go along with an antagonist like that. I let Fou-lu destroy the world, because I thought he had a pretty good reason and he had more or less the rights to do what he did too. You'll probably understand what I mean if you've played the game

He had the right...? It is a pity that I didn't play more of the game because I did like his character and the battle system was interesting...I shall have to find BoFIV again one day...:)

Back