Crisis Core Genesis

Neo Bahamut

Blue Mage
Gil
Genesis is the most controvertial character in the game &, arguably, the whole reason for its creation. He appears to have his own storyline in the works post Dirge, & there are still a great deal of mysteries surrounding his fascination with the play LOVELESS.

Complaints about his character typically revolve around his reiteration of LOVELESS lines. Some even go as far as to say that he has no personality or character of his own.

I disagree! Genesis was one of my favorite characters in this game & I love the way he & Zack interacted. He had nothing on Sephiroth in terms of skill, but because of that, we got to see a SOLDIER really go all-out for the first time.

All in all, I'm surprised that Genesis hasn't gotten his own discussion thread yet. So here it is!

This is specifically about Genesis Rhapsodos right?

If so,

He's a very cool character.

I really don't know much about him, or Angeal because I don't have a PSP [I did, but it got stolen]

Yes. I suppose it's mostly focusing on him in Crisis Core, but it's about him in general.

There's not really much to know about Angeal. He's your pretty stereotypical heroic mentor.

Genesis, on the other hand, has motivations that are fairly complex. They basically boil down to self-preservation & possibly revenge.

TBH,

I don't even know a thing about Genesis. I've seen the scene in CC where he's fighting Sephiroth, and that's about it. Doesn't tell me much, but he does have a cool Flamberge.

As for Angeal, he's just an old man xD.

That's one of his best scenes. It's a flashback to a friendly fight he & Sephiroth had that got a little out-of-hand because they're both hyper competative.

After that, though, he started to
degenerate--at first, he just weakened, then his hair began to lose its color & his skin became dingy & cracked
. Hollander decided to use Genesis to exact revenge on Shinra, claiming that he could cure the degeneration.

As it turned out, Genesis was one result of a
2nd Jenova project under Hollander.
One of the abilities he inherited allowed him to translate his DNA & abilities to others, which is how they built an army to fight Shinra.

Zack would fight Genesis a lot as per his missions, as well as search for Angeal, who defected to
confront
Genesis. Genesis believed himself & the rest of SOLDIER to be monsters, Sephiroth being the "perfect monster." When he asked Sephiroth to join him, Sephiroth basically told him to piss off & die. Genesis remarked, "the perfect monster indeed."

At the end of the game, Genesis somehow used a special materia combination to
transform, which halted his degeneration
. Having reclaimed his
"SOLDIER honor," he fought Zack, was recovered by Shinra, & decided to seal himself away until the planet needed him.

That's Genesis in a nutshell. Zack also has an interesting story, & as I said, they have a great nemesis relationship. You can pretty much hear the venom in Zack's voice every time the 2 meet, even though he's usually happy-go-lucky.

Hopefully you'll get another chance to play the game. It's awesome, so much so in fact that many fans consider it better than the original FFVII. I am not one of those fans, but it's still pretty awesome.

As long as he doesn't upstage the original cast, I'd love to see him take on a heroic role, or even another villain role. Genesis is awesome.

whats not to like? hes great, good even(?)

Its been a whilre since l played CC so im kinda iffy about the memory stuff.....um....Oh he was just a regular human and had the stuff to go head to head with sephiroth for a while
He wernt particularly angry just divided in his loyalty.

I certainly didnt think he was weak character wise just another really cool guy to fight against.

l also got his sword of off Ebay.......hehe

Last edited:
Hot damn, this couldn't have come at a better time.

But ignore that.

As for the topic, as I read in the Ultimania, he just wanted to reverse the degredation & take down anyone who tried to stop him. From his lines in the game & the statement that he "regains his SOLDIER pride," I'd say that he wasn't free of vengeful motives, but Hollander was definitely more aggressive about it.

He wasn't really a normal person, though. He is a specimen of the Jenova Project. From the phrase "had Gillian's genes mapped onto his," which is an oddly specific word choice, I'm thinking that his DNA was redone in the fetal stage to more closely resemble Jenova's. Unlike the other 2 & SOLDIER, then, he would not have Jenova cells.

i agree with the Thread Creater,but he is not my Favriote see, He is Sorta a Cool, Chracter one that desotn really Talk But still Signifcunt to the story Line due to the fact that hall his Copies fight you like every step and he is a main enemy

Genesis is awesome. I think they should make a game completely surrounding Genesis and his time in Shin-ra, The Genesis War, and Deepground. But hey, thats just my opinion.

I don't see why. We know a lot about that time period. Something post-FFVII or the Wutai War would be perfect for him, though.

The Wutai War would also be a great game for Sephiroth. Or Angeal, I guess....

Hmmm, :hmmm: I. Can't. Stand. Him.
Nor do I know anything much about him at all. I know he's a retcon, tries to be too bad ass, is based on Gackt(spelling?) BUT! he's a pretty cool character now that I think about it. I loved his part in DoC. And CC seemed to make him out to be pretty cool.

It's a like/hate relationship with him.

I thought Genesis was kinda fun to fight. (the last battle) But i kinda wish they had a better script for him. Well i wish he talked about a little more than fruit and Loveless (I practically memorized that whole thing).

personally i felt bad for Genisis. when i did fight him for the last time it was an emotional battle, so i finished him in like 35 seconds. i loved the sceen when he saw the goddess. all in all Genisis is my insperation, my memory that shall not be forgotten. one day someone will continue his work.

I didn't understand anything Genesis talked about the whole game. Maybe his mystery added to his epicness :P He was a very cool character, I just wish I could know more about him. I wish I knew how his obsession with reciting LOVELESS lines connected to anything in the story.

Genesis to me was a bit power hungry. He was passive aggressive to be honest, and his power was minimal compared to the other two. Truly I don't know if the true Genesis was ever even around, due to how many copies of himself there were. And if you know the secret to Angeal, then it gets even a bit stranger as well.

Genesis was interesting, but to be honest the over quotations of LOVELESS were kind of a strange affair. The fact is he was obsessed telling the story. The gift of the goddess. To me, I think he might have been more powerful than we suspected.
Only reason is he comes back in Dirge of Cerberus at the secret ending
All the others are dead at this point, because it is the future.

So what's the next step? We don't know really. I mean if they were to make a new FF7 title, they would need the original designers to be honest, they are the only ones with it in mind. Otherwise it'll be like DBGT and be a mess.

I swear I posted here. :hmmm:

Anyway, I quite loved him. I knew nothing of him before Crisis Core (having played DoC after) and I thought they put him in well (except at the Nibelhiem Incident) he brought with him a nice theme and he played his part well. And his reiteration of loveless throughout the game made him all the more better, as it made him look philosophical, adding to his character.

I see him as a slightly better enemy than Sephiroth, I don't know why. Sephiroth was badass, but Genesis just seemed more evil, or at the least, played his role better. He was trying to find a way to stop degrading, doing whatever it took. He was the primary reason why SOLDIER began to crumble away in the game. And the fact that he went toe to toe with Sephiroth was a great show of his power.

Overall, I saw him as a great enemy in the game, and his character was very well done and had lots of depth.

Back