Final Fantasy VII Remake

^I agree, especially during Aeris's death. I don't think anyone would be crying anymore if they...oh, wait. Cloud's sexy voice always gets to me (the Japanese one). I can imagine him with his blue eyes wide open in disbelief, tears about to stream down his face, talking in that low-tone, slithering voice of his..."Aeris"... O_;

...Actually, yes, it would ruin the game, the more I think about it.

I tell ya one thing I would love to see remade, the soundtrack. I'd love to see what a modern interpretation of nobuo uematsu's great work would be like. I am thinking a more instrumental classical take on it would be good, but the soundtrack is large so there is scope for variety to include some updated electronic pieces.

They've actually redone alot of the FF7 soundtrack.

1. The Black Mages (Nobuos rock band which does ff7 and a few other final fantasy pieces)
2. FF7 Remastered on youtube by FinalFanTim
3. They've orchestrated alot of ff7 pieces you'd probably have to type them in youtube or google to find them tho.

:toldies: Wark!

I've given XIII more than enough chance. I don't dislike it because of the other FF games I love, I dislike it because there's pretty much nothing at all about the game that I like, not the characters, or the story, or the gameplay, or the world or the side quests (which are both pretty much nonexistent). I've even played the game again in an attempt to enjoy it, but nope, there's nothing there for me to enjoy. It would have been okay for the story not to be so good if I'd enjoyed the gameplay (ala XII) or for the gameplay not to be great if I'd liked the story, but for me there was nothing at all to like about FFXIII (other than it's sequel). It's not because I have high expectations for it. It's because I didn't like it, as a stand alone game or as part of the FF series.

personally if you think FFXIII's story sucked then you couldn't tell a GOOD one if it bit you in the arse... Though it wasn't the BEST or original story in the world the story was great... The twists and the fact that everybody split up and you got to follow each group is so much better then being stuck with a single char that you can ever switch out of your party as everybody else leaves and comes back.... and the chars were actually pretty good.... you got Vanille who is the bubbly upbeat girl who is trying to fool everybody into thinking shes happy, Fang who is the tough girl who actually is quite the sweetheart, Snow who is always trying to be the hero even though he doesn't really know what he is fighting for, Hope is the little lost boy trying to find his way, Sahz who is the smartarse old man trying to protect his boy, and lightning who is the faithful soldier.... actually they remind me a lot of FFVII when I describe them like this... now I know these are my opinions but the majority of those who say they hate the game is cause others hate it and they wanna fit in... others cause they butthurt its linear (Most likely CoD players who hate a story to a game and just want the action) and others who just can't accept that the series is changing.... it's trying to adapt to the new gaming world.... if you don't like the game well fine... don't bash the hell out of it.... now onto the note of this thread i'd think that FFVII will most likely be remade on PS4 as well as PS3 when they finally decide it's time to let the series go

Last edited:
personally if you think FFXIII's story sucked then you couldn't tell a GOOD one if it bit you in the arse... Though it wasn't the BEST or original story in the world the story was great... The twists and the fact that everybody split up and you got to follow each group is so much better then being stuck with a single char that you can ever switch out of your party as everybody else leaves and comes back.... and the chars were actually pretty good.... you got Vanille who is the bubbly upbeat girl who is trying to fool everybody into thinking shes happy, Fang who is the tough girl who actually is quite the sweetheart, Snow who is always trying to be the hero even though he doesn't really know what he is fighting for, Hope is the little lost boy trying to find his way, Sahz who is the smartarse old man trying to protect his boy, and lightning who is the faithful soldier.... actually they remind me a lot of FFVII when I describe them like this... now I know these are my opinions but the majority of those who say they hate the game is cause others hate it and they wanna fit in... others cause they butthurt its linear (Most likely CoD players who hate a story to a game and just want the action) and others who just can't accept that the series is changing.... it's trying to adapt to the new gaming world.... if you don't like the game well fine... don't bash the hell out of it.... now onto the note of this thread i'd think that FFVII will most likely be remade on PS4 as well as PS3 when they finally decide it's time to let the series go

Having a party split up has nothing to do with the story. I mean, the story, as in what the characters were doing and why, as in the reasons for characters making certain choices. I didn't like any of it, I didn't think any of it was done well. The characters were completely clichéd and predictable, as you just demonstrated with those descriptions of them. Believe me, I'd rather not hate this game, it's the only game in the franchise (outside of online games) that I dislike at all. I gave it a second chance, I have tried hard to like it, and I defend the company when so many people say it has done downhill. The linearity isn't the reason I hate it, it's one of many reasons. As I said in the post you quoted, I'm willing to forgive things I don't like in a game if it has other aspects that I like. I didn't like anything at all about FFXIII. Hell, I loved XIII-2, I thought it was great, so don't be so quick to assume I have a certain agenda or like bashing a game, because I don't and I'm not. You're not wrong for liking it, and I'm not going to say you don't know what a good story is just because you like something I don't, that would be pretty silly.

I can't see a remake of VII coming any time soon. I definitely don't think we'll see one as soon as the PS4 generation. The series isn't going to be let go any time soon either, it makes them big money and is extremely popular. They'd have to screw it up big time to have to put an end to it.

They've actually redone alot of the FF7 soundtrack.

1. The Black Mages (Nobuos rock band which does ff7 and a few other final fantasy pieces)
2. FF7 Remastered on youtube by FinalFanTim
3. They've orchestrated alot of ff7 pieces you'd probably have to type them in youtube or google to find them tho.

:toldies: Wark!

thanks,
I already knew about the black mages band, most of the band cover pieces work best for concert type songs, hard to explain but as you know there are a lot of simple pieces in the soundtrack, I think in particular these songs are much more mellow and work better when approached with a different setup rather than a band jamming it out. i'll look up the others cheers.

I've got a theory why they haven't gone through with this, and it's the same theory I got with why Konami wont revive the Suikoden series. They already said it a few months ago that the original team for FF7 is no longer with them. The Suikoden team was disbanded after Suikoden V and the Suikoden creater left after Suikoden III. Now the problem with that is, they still obviously continue with the FF series, so why not just use the current FF team to remake FF7? Me thinks, because only the original team can recapture the magic of FF7? SE will and has given all kinds of excuses, and seem to think making the original copy easily available is a suitable solution.

Twilight Sky has a point. Maybe the original has more capacity on doing the remake than the actual team that is running the company right now. Maybe that is the reason they said it will take them a long time to make a FFVII remake because they aren't capable of doing it as good as they want it to be as the original team did and they don't want to mess up a classic game like FFVII. Or maybe they just not interested on making a remake at this moment.

I've taken part in this discussion countless times. I think when you break down the various elements of Final Fantasy VII and put it into perspective of what the remake would consist of in terms of improvements, I think some, if not most fans will realize that the game would be a massive undertaking and possibly not worth the hassle for Square Enix. I personally only see them doing this if the company started declining in sales and general interest, using a Final Fantasy VII Remake as a last resort to bring life back to the franchise. Of course this is based on "IF" Square Enix ever declines which I doubt will happen anytime soon.

The remake would of course mean that the original version of Final Fantasy VII released on PSX would be remade from the ground up while keeping literally every aspect of the game the same. So some of the many elements we can look at include

Character Revamp
- Exploration Mode
- In Battle Mode
- FMV Sequences
World Map
Transportation
- Chocobos
- Buggy
- Highwind
- ShinRa Submarine

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Character Revamp:
So with the Character Models, Final Fantasy VII had three models, Exploration Mode (Blocky Character Design), Battle Mode (More Detailed) and then of course the FMV Sequence (Cartoon'ish Design). They would have to re-design the characters, this obviously includes both Playable and Non-Playable Characters. The exploration mode would have to be designed to meet the same standards as a title like Final Fantasy X - XIII+ along with the Battle Mode.

FMV Sequences would have to be redone completely to meet the same level of quality or better than that of Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus and Advent Children.

Also you have to consider voice acting for both Playable and Non-Playable characters, so that alone would bring the costs up a fair bit for this game.

World Map:
A new world map would have to be rendered to scale instead of the class RPG method of having a town/city almost the size of the character during world map exploration. Also the map and everything on it will have to contain a lot of detail.

Transportation:
Final Fantasy VII featured a variety of methods of Essential and Non-Essential means of transportation. Essential items included the Chocobo's, Buggy, Highwind and Submarine. These vehicles were introduced to cut down travel time between world map locations. In Final Fantasy X, we see Air Travel but instead of having physical control of the vehicle, you simply click the location and you're there. So the transportation is something I think will need to be looked into since it would all be rendered items with their own functionality.

Other non-essential items include the Motorcycle (Midgar/Gold Saucer), and Snow Boarding (Northern Mountain/Gold Saucer). Again these were all unique in design in terms of their function so these would be items they would need to revamp.

- - - - - - -

I could go on all day picking the details apart, it is a great topic and it would be great to see Square Enix offer a high quality Final Fantasy VII remake but I think it's reasonable to acknowledge that the game would be a huge undertaking for the company. There is a lot of comparison going around especially with Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII being the top seller in the series, right now Square Enix has to focus on titles that are guaranteed "Money Makers" I'm confident that if they announced a true FFVII Remake, it would max the charts out not only with interest but with sales but of course we don't know if that would be the actual outcome and that's something Square Enix simply can't take a chance on.

I think what Square Enix should consider, is making a Final Fantasy VII title built using a model that could be used for a FFVII Remake, have all the models ready to go, see how the game does and if it's a huge hit then they would pretty much have everything needed to go back and do the Final Fantasy VII remake (Smart thinking...)

See what happens :)

~Jecht

Some people may be again the idea but i'd like a Final Fantasy VII remake with XV's gameplay style.

I voted 'not sure' and I'm going tell exactly why.

There used to be a time when I was all about a remake. And not just a super-HD remake, sort of like what they did with Fable 1 on the 360, but a full blown, from the ground up remake.

But this desire has been shot down over the years by Square-Enix's apparent disinterest in what their fans want. Maybe they are just worried about what Japan wants over the West, or maybe they are just too absorbed in their recent and future titles- but the fact remains that SE has brought up the idea of a remake many times over the past decade and every time they do, they make the same excuse:

It will require time and money.

Well... NO SHIT, SHERLOCK!
And because of this, I doubt that they are going to make a from the ground up remake. There have been many gaps between their productions in which they could have done so, but instead chose to not even consider it. And now that FFXIII is finally done, FFXV is already in the workings and they are still saying the same thing.

I do not believe it's going to happen, at least not with a brand new FFVII. If they do anything with it, they are going to super-HD it and add stuff to it, and that's as far as they are going to go.
I could be wrong, but in all probability, that's how it will turn out. They will either half-ass it or not do it at all.

In which case, I'm not sure if I even give a damn because after hearing about it time and time again and how SE has gone on it, it just feels sort of insulting.

Either shit or get off the pot. I mean the remake talk of this game has been going on FOREVER and SE just dangles it out there like a carrot infront of a horse. Teasing everybody of the idea of this game being remade. Which is complete and utter bullshit because they could easily.... EASILY make a boatload of cash and more than cover the cost of remaking this game. Can you imagine the excitement for this game if they were to do it? It'd be insane.

Will it take time? Will it take money to make? Your damn right it will. ALL games take time and money. Stop using that excuse already as to why you haven't done it yet.

I've lost hope in it being remade honestly. But I will definitely welcome it with open arms.

But this desire has been shot down over the years by Square-Enix's apparent disinterest in what their fans want.

I think it would be much, much more challenging to remake FFVII than it would be to make an new game. There is no way for them to make it and please everybody, it would be nearly impossible to even please most people. If they make it exactly as it was only with voice acting and better graphics than not many new players will be interested in it, and the fans who say this is what they want probably wouldn't enjoy it either. The battle system just would not work for new players, who are used to fast battle systems, not standing still and waiting your turn and in a realistic environment that will look incredibly stupid whether you're a fan or a new player, but change it and all the fans will be in uproar regardless because that's what this fanbase does. The dialogue would have to change a lot, because reading pages and pages of dialogue is good in the old games, but having voice actors read it all out would sound very unnatural. Keep it the same and it won't work, change it and the fans will be in uproar.

I honestly think they might even lose money on it, because newer players won't be interested unless it looks like a great game, which it won't unless they change it in a lot of ways. If they do that old players won't be interested because they'll say too much has been changed. This is why it's such a huge risk. They even risk long-time fans completely giving up on the franchise on account of the 'best game ever' being ruined by the company trying to give them what they want. If I were head of Square Enix there is no way I'd give the fans a remake, not these fans, they really do not deserve one because there is no pleasing them. If they don't give the fans a remake (which they are under no obligation to do) the fans complain, yet if they gave them a remake I guarantee you there would be far more complaints than praise for the game, no matter how it was made.

I think it would be much, much more challenging to remake FFVII than it would be to make an new game. There is no way for them to make it and please everybody, it would be nearly impossible to even please most people. If they make it exactly as it was only with voice acting and better graphics than not many new players will be interested in it, and the fans who say this is what they want probably wouldn't enjoy it either. The battle system just would not work for new players, who are used to fast battle systems, not standing still and waiting your turn and in a realistic environment that will look incredibly stupid whether you're a fan or a new player, but change it and all the fans will be in uproar regardless because that's what this fanbase does. The dialogue would have to change a lot, because reading pages and pages of dialogue is good in the old games, but having voice actors read it all out would sound very unnatural. Keep it the same and it won't work, change it and the fans will be in uproar.

I honestly think they might even lose money on it, because newer players won't be interested unless it looks like a great game, which it won't unless they change it in a lot of ways. If they do that old players won't be interested because they'll say too much has been changed. This is why it's such a huge risk. They even risk long-time fans completely giving up on the franchise on account of the 'best game ever' being ruined by the company trying to give them what they want. If I were head of Square Enix there is no way I'd give the fans a remake, not these fans, they really do not deserve one because there is no pleasing them. If they don't give the fans a remake (which they are under no obligation to do) the fans complain, yet if they gave them a remake I guarantee you there would be far more complaints than praise for the game, no matter how it was made.

I think your argument that players wouldnt be interested in the battle combat is false. Everyone loves the old battle system of the FF games, it makes you think out each & every turn. and if people dont like that system & prefer the battle systems of say XII, well then too bad because the old battle system of 7-10 is the best battle system in any game ever in my opinion. And theyll def make money on it, theres people all over the world (including myself) who love collecting game & playing games that have been remastered/HD remakes. its so cool seeing how much everything has improved. And im sure 85-90% of people who still have ff7 for the ps1 will buy a remake just because of the nostalgia feeling it will give & the wonder and awe it will bring knowing that one of the most heralded games of all time is now "up to date" with the other systems & games and still matches up to todays society of games.

I think your argument that players wouldnt be interested in the battle combat is false. Everyone loves the old battle system of the FF games, it makes you think out each & every turn. and if people dont like that system & prefer the battle systems of say XII, well then too bad because the old battle system of 7-10 is the best battle system in any game ever in my opinion. And theyll def make money on it, theres people all over the world (including myself) who love collecting game & playing games that have been remastered/HD remakes. its so cool seeing how much everything has improved. And im sure 85-90% of people who still have ff7 for the ps1 will buy a remake just because of the nostalgia feeling it will give & the wonder and awe it will bring knowing that one of the most heralded games of all time is now "up to date" with the other systems & games and still matches up to todays society of games.

I love those combat systems too, but they work in older games. New games though, when they look so super-realistic, the characters, the environment, and everything looks more natural, I don't believe people would like seeing characters in battle stand still and do nothing while they wait their turn, that is the exact opposite of realistic and I don't think it would work well. Of course, they could do a remake where they don't go for a realistic look and instead make things more anime-style, then it would probably work more, but that's not what square enix are about, they've always gone for as realistic as the system allows. And of course many people would not be happy with that.

It costs so much to make a game, and if they make a new game both new fans and older fans and random gamers who've never played FF will be interested. If they make a remake of FFVII? It would cost just as much but they wouldn't have the guarantee that they'd be able to sell as much.

I think they should have an option to switch between ATB and XV's style, sure it would cost alot and make the game's development hell but it would please most older fans while still being appealed to new players.

True, but would it be worth the extra cost? It's a big risk, and for such an unappreciative fanbase I don't know if it would be worth it for them.

Back