Final Fantasy VII Remake News [Update]

Setzer Gabbiani

Dark Knight
Veteran
Gil
FF7R-Fami-Init_06-20-18.jpg

Final Fantasy VII Remake director Tetsuya Nomura commented on the status of the game’s development in the latest issue of Weekly Famitsu.
Here are the tidbits:
  • “We’re trying to figure out when we will put out the next news release.”
  • “Production is going well.”
  • “The scenario will also delve into the members of Avalanche.”
  • “[Development] is moving along more than expected, so please wait for the next news release with peace of mind.”
Final Fantasy VII Remake is in development for PlayStation 4.

Update 1:04 a.m.: Here are two, more detailed quotes:
  • “The direction was pretty much decided upon before we changed to internal development, and production is going well.”
  • “While preserving the atmosphere of the original, the scenario will dig deeper into the characters, including members of Avalanche.”
https://gematsu.com/2018/06/final-f...-along-more-than-expected-says-tetsuya-nomura

"I'm being vague because I'm trying to think up my next excuse for delays."

"We will have some news that's not really news soon."

"We sort of kind of think we might know what we're doing but we're not totally sure."

Reactions: Rey
Final Fantasy VII Remake Developers Tease Reveal in 2019

In the latest issue of Weekly Famitsu several developers share their thoughts about the upcoming year, among them were Final Fantasy VII Remake Director Tetsuya Nomura and Producer Yoshinori Kitase.

Nomura-san’s Keyword for the new year is simply “7” and his message is “various plans will be announced.”

Kitase-san’s keyword is “Long Wait!” while his message for 2019 is “I’d like to try my best to respond to the expectations of the fans.”

His comment about 2018 was “We launched a collaboration between Mobius Final Fantasy and Final Fantasy VII! Of course, development of the Final Fantasy VII Remake is going smoothly!”

Kitase-san’s keyword will certainly resonate with many, considering that the Final Fantasy VII Remake has been announced all the way back in 2015. Many defined that show “the E3 of dreams,” and some of those announcements are indeed still dreams. This game is one of those.

Of course, we don’t know how many reveals will come for the game in 2019, and how extensive they will be. For all we know, the release date of the first episode might be closer than what we think. Publishers like Capcom have been very successful at keeping their head down and making announcements only when the launch is relatively close, and Square Enix might have learned the lesson. Time will tell, but a man can dream.

The Final Fantasy VII Remake has been announced only for PS4 and doesn’t have a release window just yet.

https://twinfinite.net/2018/12/final-fantasy-vii-remake-tease-2019/

Publishers like Capcom have been very successful at keeping their head down and making announcements only when the launch is relatively close, and Square Enix might have learned the lesson.

Square Enix has not learned the lesson. If anything, it's the exact opposite. They're usually tripping over themselves to announce ideas that haven't even completely been fleshed out yet. Then three years later, they've changed the whole project multiple times and still have no solid information to offer.

Square Enix has reveal a new trailer as well some gameplay last night on E'3 Press Conference. Here is the official trailer of Final Fantasy VII Remake. Enjoy!

During the E3 press conference, Square Enix has opened up with a deep dive into the Final Fantasy VII Remake. After showing off a lengthy look at the gameplay, a trailer has been shown revealing two collector's editions.

The Deluxe Edition includes a Steelbook case, a mini-soundtrack, and two DLC summons (Cactaur and Chocobo Chick). The Deluxe edition is priced at $79.99

screen_shot_2019-06-10_at_8.35.06_pm.png

The 1st Class Edition of the game comes with a Steelbook case, art book, mini-soundtrack CD, and a Play Arts Kai Cloud Strife and Hardy Daytona statue. Plus you get some digital items like bonus summon Materia DLC (Carbuncle and Cactuar) and a Chocobo chick for pre-ordering. This Square Enix Store exclusive collector's edition is priced at $329.99.

No Caption Provided

Last edited:
tifa-blogroll-1561157612350_1280w.jpg

Chief Executive Officer and President of Square Enix, Yosuke Matsuda has release some valuable information regarding the remake of Final Fantasy VII. In an interview with Game Informer, Matsuda discussed about how difficult it is to remake Final Fantasy VII by saying “remakes are harder, more challenging than you might think.” Just by nature of being a remake, it means that there was an original and I believe that you have to be able to surpass the original." It's not enough just to do straight reprints of the old one because you also want to get new fans to be able to enjoy it. There are the old fans who know the old game, and at the same time, you want new people to enjoy it. I think you really need to achieve both of these things and that's why I say it's quite challenging."

Making sure that the Final Fantasy 7 remake is accessible for new players sounds like it's one of the things at the top of Square Enix's list for the release of the famed game, but Matsuda hinted that there's a lot more to come from Square Enix. "If it’s a popular series, we want to revive the whole series regardless of what the profitability looks like on individual titles. We’d rather put the entire series out there so it can be played again," he told Game Informer.

Could this mean that they are planning to remake the other classic games as well?

https://www.gamesradar.com/making-t...ing-than-you-think-explains-square-enixs-ceo/

Square Enix Has No Plans to Release Final Fantasy VII Remake on Other Platforms

40847576473_03e8827b93_h-1024x576.jpg

Square Enix has claimed that the upcoming Final Fantasy VII Remake will only be coming to the PlayStation 4 and that there are currently no plans to release it on other systems.

Final Fantasy VII Remake was first announced at E3 2015 and its trailer stated the fans could "play it first on PlayStation 4", which many took to mean that the game would be a timed exclusive and would be coming to other systems in the future. The latest trailer for the game that was revealed at E3 2019 only had a worldwide release date and the PlayStation 4 logo in its credits, with no mention of the game appearing on other systems.

https://www.videogameschronicle.com...-final-fantasy-vii-remake-on-other-platforms/

A few new concept arts has been revealed by Famitsu. Here are some screenshots of the new concept arts of Final Fantasy VII Remake.

FF7-Remake-concept-art.jpg

Final-Fantasy-VII-Remake_07-23-19_001.jpg

Final-Fantasy-VII-Remake_07-30-19_001.jpg

final-fantasy-vii-remake-sector-8-concept-artwork.jpg

The first concept art is the Sector 1 train station platform at the start of the bombing mission. The second concept art is another look at the Sector 1 train station. The third concept art is the Shinra Headquarters lobby and the last concept art is a image of Sector 8.

Here are some high quality screenshots of the remake from the Square Enix E3 2019 press conference.

005.jpg

006.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

007.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

013.jpg

014.jpg

015.jpg

016.jpg

017.jpg

018.jpg

019.jpg

020.jpg

021.jpg

022.jpg

023.jpg

024.jpg

https://www.4gamer.net/games/305/G030589/20190617077/

Those screenshots are absolutely gorgeous. If the finished product looks as good as this, Midgar is really going to feel like a living, breathing (albeit dark and dying) city. I’d probably spend hours simply running around and exploring this iconic city and probably not ever get bored of it.

Oh nice!

I love the screnshots of what looks like a Shinra propaganda video or a Midgar tourist agency promotion. I hope the Remake contains quite a bit of that. I want to learn more about what the people above the plate are subjected to, how they are made to feel about the people underneath them (literally) and also, eventually, how much they also suffer particularly when President Shinra drops the Sector 7 plate.

The bit with Jessie I'd first assumed was the scene on the train with the map console, but instead it seems like she's hacking a console somewhere.

A new Final Fantasy 7 remake trailer will be revealed at Tokyo Game Show 2019

Square Enix has announced that the Final Fantasy 7 remake will debut a shiny new trailer during the Tokyo Game Show 2019. The remake's director Tetsuya Nomura was quoted on the game's official Twitter account, revealing that we'll be getting another glimpse of the updated take on the classic RPG.

"We haven't revealed anything about FF7R for a while, but will soon be unveiling a new trailer to go with TGS2019, being held from the 12th of September." – Tetsuya Nomura

The Tokyo Game Show is set to kick off on September 12 and will run until September 15.

https://www.gamesradar.com/a-new-fi...er-will-be-shown-during-tokyo-game-show-2019/

I'm really looking forward to the new trailer. Apparently we'll be seeing more of the Shinra organisation members.

Hopefully the Turks and characters like Reeve, Scarlet, Palmer, etc!

Square Enix has released some valuable information regarding the summons and their function. Each character can only have one summon materia equipped at a time. A summon gauge is slowly filled by attacking enemies with each attack and magic spells, which then allows the player to utilize one of the character’s summon materia once its filled. The summons is controlled by the AI, but it also can be instructed to perform some unique abilities by utilizing the ATB charge. The summons stays on the battlefield until the summon gauge depletes completely, which then they unleash their ultimate attack before departing from the battle.

Each summon comes with different powerful magical spell and unique abilities. In the Aps boss fight, we see Ifrit doing various fire attacks and casting fire spells. After a series number of fire attacks, a heat bar appears at the bottom of the boss’s HP Bar. This indicates that the enemies will be tacking continuous burn damage each time they are ignited in flames. This is one of the new feature that they added to the remake.

So this means that some summon will have a unique effect on the enemies prior to their element. For example; Ifrit (Burn), Shiva (Freeze), Ramuh (Stun), etc.

https://screenrant.com/ff7-remake-summons-gauge-atb-charge-ifrit-shiva/

Last edited:
1569424385277.png

To be honest, I think I prefer the original image, I know this new variation is a tribute to the USA box art but just seems more fitting for the modern style.

I like the look of the menu screen! I hope the colours are customisable like they were in the original. I know it wasn't exactly a game changing mechanic, but I thought it was a neat little feature regardless.

All of those screenshots are gorgeous!

I particularly love the update given to the 7th Heaven bar.
015-1480x833.jpg

I thought I'd said this somewhere before but I'm not sure where so I'll say it again. They've kept it looking like a Wild West saloon which in the original game fits both Tifa's cowgirl persona during the Nibelheim incident and Barret's hometown of Corel (as discussed in our Timber Maniacs issue 3 page 18). But they've also made it appear to fit within the slums a lot better than the original did. No longer do we have the fourth wall breaking 'Texas Cowboy Club' sign. Nor do we get the misspelled 'Tyfer Bar' (instead of Tifa Bar). Now, for the first time, the 7th Heaven actually says 7th Heaven on the wooden boarding above the saloon.
That's a great plus!

As for the cover art, I don't have the same emotional attachment to that particular image as US consumers might be experiencing as they reminisce on the iconic cover of their childhood. I didn't grow up with that image since in the PAL release of the original game it was simply a white box with the logo. However, I do like the cover. It seems to me a little bit too light for the themes of the Midgar section of the game, but the pose and the arrangement of the cover itself is excellent. Plus, I'm happy that some people get to experience the nostalgia effect with that cover.

I know some other Europeans are upset, but I actually like how they're using the classic old American FFVII cover, I mean, look at it, it's beautiful. Much more than just a white background and logo.

I hope we get Aerith looking at the airship or Tifa looking at the stars for a prt 2 cover.

Back