Final Fantasy VI-2

V-Translanka, for the sake of my own sanity, I must politely request that you never say the words "Final Fantasy" and "Compilation" in the same statement ever again. I implore of you. I don't think my sanity will stand for much longer if I have to seriously contemplate the possibility of another FF Compilation. Anyway, whether it's directed by Nomura or not, I really don't think that Square-Enix is capable of basing a Compilation around any of their games. A sequel here and there? Fine. A prequel? Okay. A high-quality remake for a game that is no longer available to the masses? If you must. However, the FFVII Compilation has single-handedly proven to me that Square-Enix should never again be allowed to build a series off of any of their games.

In any case, you may have a point on the subject of Nomura actually directing it. Still, he does seem to get put in charge of the minor side-projects. I can only imagine that any hypothetical FFVI Compilation would- much like the FFVII Compilation before it- be primarily about fanservice, which is Nomura's current specialty (well, aside from finding new, innovative ways to include belts, leather, and zippers in his character designs). However, that's not really my point. I don't want to see another wonderful RPG ruined by Square's inability to tactfully milk a franchise instead of going all-out and milking it for all its worth until the cash cow has completely run itself dry.

When it comes to prequels...yes, it is entirely possible to form a story taking place before FFVI, and I suppose it could potentially be pretty good, but I personally don't really think that this game has much actual backstory that could be expanded upon. Yes, we could hear about Kefka Leo, and Celes, Gestahl, or Billy/Clyde, but how can you be so sure that there's an actual story behind them? Gestahl is just your typical Evil Emperor and Kefka is just your average psychotic clown, so I doubt that Square had any sort of backstory in mind when they created them. Basically, my main problem with the idea of a prequel to FFVI is that we were told the entire story within the context of FFVI itself. Any backstory that the characters might have had planned was adequately expanded on. In FFVII, however, there was a bit more ambiguity.

For example, FFVII: Crisis Core told the story of Zack, who we knew very little about. All we were told was that he was a First Class SOLDIER who was with Cloud during the Nibelheim Incident and gave his life to protect Cloud's...oh, and Cloud also thought that he was Zack for most of FFVII. Obviously, there was a lot more to Zack's character than what we were witness to in FFVII itself, especially considering we only really see him in one or two cutscenes (before you mention Last Order, I feel it neccessary to mention that it only served to retell what happened in those two cutscenes). If Cloud knew Zack well enough to unintentionally mimic his personality during his bout with insanity, then the two were obviously friends prior to the Nibelheim Incident.

...Though I must admit, a prequel centering around the War of the Magi could easily turn out pretty damn cool if done right. So we're in agreement there. Come to think of it, that is a good idea, albeit one that Square probably won't actually go through with. While I don't think that there's too much to be said about Celes, Leo, and Kefka, the War of the Magi sounds like it'd be a pretty interesting concept to base a prequel around.

I don't see how there's any less ambiguity from Kefka's background (average psychotic clown...yeah, that makes sense, happens all the time, right?)...he went insane due to the experiments...we basically have NO IDEA what he was like before that. I throw Leo, Celes & Gestahl (not to mention Terra/Tina growing up as a puppet within the Empire) in there because to explain Kefka, those characters would also be main characters. I mean, that's one of the main things other FF fans complain about w/Kefka is that we don't know anything about him and that his motivations are pure insanity...it'd be nice to see who he was before that insanity took over. To actually SEE it happen would make him an even more powerful character.

Also, about the compilation...that's where I'm different, I guess...No amount of sequels, prequels, remakes, or movies will EVER change the original. It'll always be there. If you love the original so much, guess what? It's still there! Not even a remake erases it's existence. Also, I really disliked FFVII, but thought AC was cool enough...maybe cause the lame-o Yuffster didn't get much screen time...:P

I don't think a FFVI movie would have to be a SEQUEL, either...I wouldn't mind seeing the actual story of FFVI told...I don't care if it's CGI or anime (damn, how cool would it be to see Amano-style animation? ha, prob never gonna happen in that style though, huh? I can still dream!)...

But, anyways, regardless of what some people think of it, the FFVII Compilation has been mostly successful! >_>

Lol Pissflaps.

Anway, yeah, no sequels please - do not rape the magnificence that is VI. I will NOT settle for some DS remake - PS2/PS3 remake please. FFVI deserves something more then a DS remake. Im still upset even that FFIV got a DS remake...but then again, it wasn't one of the most popular FF's ever D=

But, anyways, regardless of what some people think of it, the FFVII Compilation has been mostly successful! >_>

If you mean successful as in financially then yes, I'd imagine that SE made a fair bit of money off of the at times mindless FFVII following. If you mean that it received widespread critical acclaim and was loved by all then not so much.

And FFVI is fine the way it is, the game ended in a fine enough way to have no need of a sequel.

Judge Rulia said:
I will NOT settle for some DS remake - PS2/PS3 remake please. FFVI deserves something more then a DS remake. Im still upset even that FFIV got a DS remake...but then again, it wasn't one of the most popular FF's ever D=

There's dreaming and then there's just being unrealistic...A DS remake can be given to a development team like they gave FFIII & FFIV to Matrix Software...plus, I see only pluses from the FFIV DS remake...better graphics, gameplay, more of the intended storyline, etc. I don't see why it'd be so different from a FFVI DS remake...

But maybe I'm not as much of a purist as I thought? I don't mind small differences in remakes (or even fairly large ones) as long as it remains true to the overall theme & character of the game. Remakes like Metroid: Zero Mission, FFIII DS, & Sword of Mana are what give me more & more hope for remakes.

Wish they'd release DQIV DS for NA, though, it looks friggin sweet and I loved the original...V_V

FFVI is pretty much all wrapped up, there is nothing that can be expanded on without making it the worst pile of Indian influenced excrement since X-2.

A prequel could kinda work, a CC-style game set towards the end of the Magi War with the main character being a Magi-Knight who turns out to be the ancestor of Strago Magus....however that too would be quite rubbish without having to add some sort of major twist that would make half of the original games story redundant el Compilation of FFVII style.

Best thing to do is stick with your poorly written fan-fics. At least that way there is the excuse of it not being canon. :neomon:

A sequel would be beneficial with FFVI since its pretty much overlooked by most FF fans. But it should be on another platform rather than the DS since it can't really do much improvement to its fan base.

Though I'm a bit skeptical on what they will base the story lines on since they pretty much ended the story without anything to conclude about. Except maybe Gogo's identity and where Banon was but it doesn't really matter does it since most of us assume they're both dead.

the story might be wrapped up and shit but so was VII's before the comilation was announced. SE only confirmed one surviver in VII and that was Red XIII, I mean come on the game ended 500 years later but they still made sequels to that didn't they?

I don't think before AC was announced that SE ever said what actually happened at the end of VII. VI finished in a far more cleaner way that didn't leave anything (or at least very little open).

A DS remake would be pretty cool but a direct sequel or any other spinoff would be too much imo.

^Yes he was a side boss for the Mime crystal. Or is he? Though they might have the same name, it still doesn't explain his identity since all we got from FFV was that Gogo was a famous dimension travelling mime. If FFVI had a sequel, then maybe it would shed some more light on Gogo's true identity.

A prequel would also be good to FFVI, such as an explanation on how the gate to the Esper world got opened in the first place or how the Empire got started.

Back to Gogo: Maybe SE planned for him to be like Gilgamesh; a recurring character who would give players an extra chore to do?

They should make prequels for each character since they are the best main characters in the ff series i would say. A sequel would be good too but poor gogo he died at the end ooo pity..

there should NEVER be sequel to any Final fantasy, nevermind my favourite game of all time! By making crappy sequels it diminishes what makes the original one so damn good, such as the literal Dirge of Cerberous, or X-2. Final Fantasy VI sequel.........no thank you

How does a sequel diminish the original work? I've never understood people complaining about that aspect of sequels...A sequel does not erase or copy over the original...If you want the original game, it's still available in it's entirety. Whenever I see someone say something like that, I just realize how horribly blinded by nostalgia they seem...*shrugs*

Anyways...I think since so much is tied up at the end of FFVI that, barring prequels, like I said, they could make FFVI-2 a generational game ala the Lufia series, the Breath of Fire series, or FFIV-2 The After: The Return to the Moon...Maybe some descendant of Locke & Celes? >_>

Final Fantasy VI doesn't need any sequel, also Nomura ruined most of the games with his obsession of making sequels because his name will appear more.
FFVI storyline is great actually and it covered everything so I won't be expecting that something come out, just like the Deep Underground (Tsivets) came out of nowhere and OMG they existed under Midgar. it's just stupid.

It definately doesn't need a sequel imo, it was rounded off nicely I think... I'm sure Squenix could probably invent a whole new disaster to come of it but I can pretty much sum up that it would reek of fail

A prequel perhaps....although I'm pretty sure it would still suck, I gues it could cove the events of 1000 years earlier, but I don't really see the point tbh >_<

Definately NO to a sequel though :gasp:

No to sequel. There is nothing worse than end of the world and there is no loose ends in the original. Shadows fate is unknown but I always like to think that he dies after he finally has make up for bad things he has done. Okay his deeds may not be make up but he does some good deeds for a chance.

Also it is never given any good hint what Setzer, Gau, Mog and Cyan do now when Kefka is killed. Setzer has nothing but airship, Mog lost all his moogle friends, Cyan lost all too and Gau has nothing to do.

But still there is no need for sequel, maybe a prequel from War of Maqi would be cool and Stragos ancestor would be playable character and Maduin too.

Back