Final Fantasy VI-2

Star Beast

Lone Warrior
Gil
they've made FFX-2 (god awful game), the compilation of FFVII, Fabola Crystallis saga, The Ivalice Alliance and FFIV: the after. It's time they made a sequel/prequel/series of games to FFVI

I'd prefer that Nomura not turn FFVI into a pile of animu crap. Nomura at the wheel of graphics for a sequel of FFVI equals an epic disaster. Not just because nomura sucks, but because all sequels suck. It's a fact.

So far, Square has proven that they also really suck at making sequels. FFX-2's story was gawdawful, Advent Children was complete bastardization, KHII was horrible as well when compared to it's counterpart, KHI which was immensely better in almost every aspect.

smry: DO NOT WANT. :gasp:

Nomura isn't that bad and not all sequals are that bad...if you include all FF games after I to be a sequal. Anyway, I'm pretty sure Nomura would keep the characters to there original designs.

what he said...

DAMN! cant spam!

I think it would be a horrible idea. They'd probably butcher it by making it like DoC o_o thats the last thing we need. of course, the idea of playing as Maduin would be awsome, but they'd find a way to ruin it. And maybe playing as new characters in the War of the Magi, so we can see what the world looked like before the advent of magi-technology...actually, I want to see that. But it wouldnt be very good, I can tell that. Nomura butchers all that he touches XP

Nomura isn't that bad and not all sequals are that bad...if you include all FF games after I to be a sequal.

A sequel is a continuation of a previous story. None of the numbered Final Fantasies are in any way connected to the others, therefore they are not sequels.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure Nomura would keep the characters to there original designs.

The only character he's ever done that for is Auron, so I have my doubts.:neomon:

I don't think FFVI could really be explored more; despite the large cast in the game, each character's back story had enough info on them.

...But if they made a sequel, I'd probably play it anyways ^^

Nah, give it up with the sequels. I mean I loved the game and almost everything about it, but stop beating everything until it's overkilled.

There is nothing you can do to make the glory of FFVI any better than the original game. FFVI-2 would probably be Locke and Co. working at a Carneval. Gay.

I don't think FFVI could really be explored more; despite the large cast in the game, each character's back story had enough info on them.

...But if they made a sequel, I'd probably play it anyways ^^
Pretty much my thoughts on the subject.

I don't think that a sequel to this game is necessary. The most I could see Square doing is probably doing a remake for one of the handheld systems like they did for III and IV. That being said, if they did actually do a remake of VI, then I most likely would buy it because I like VI that much. But for now, I'll just stick with fanfiction.

And on the subject of Nomura: His character designs do look too similar to past ones, and the clothes are getting way too pop-culture-like for my tastes. I miss Amano's work.

There's really nowhere left to go with a sequel. All the character's story is basically complete. Shadow and Gogo die in the tower (if I recall right). Espers and magic are gone. Kefka is dead and has almost no chance of returning. Terra's even lost her esper side. There's no threat left, no plot left, really. The game is self-contained (even if I would have wished some backstory on Gogo).

Though I'd play it regardless. =P

A sequel to VI? What would it be about? The story was over with the original game so I could not see how a sequel could possibly work. There is nothing more to tell of the story. And considering that their entire world is in ruin, I don't think the six characters or NPC's need anymore crisises. ;)

And sequels are never as good as the original. Just look at X2 and Dirge of Cerebus.

The game is self-contained (even if I would have wished some backstory on Gogo).

Though I'd play it regardless. =P

I believe Gogo and Umaro(whatever) were just secret characters that had no relevence to the story what-so-ever, hence no backstory.

Even if they made a sequel, I'd still play it. It is a FF game, and I've played every game (minus XI, u know y) and cant stop now. So...

Yeah, while a sequel to the series would be all but impossible & completely unnecessary since Magic is GONE after the end of the game...

I think, and have ALWAYS thought, that FFVI is the one that's most open for PREQUELS!

FFVI: The War of the Magi - Of course, this one everyone always says as an example of a prequel for VI in the making...But, to be honest, it seems like it'd just be like any FF, really...The War of the Magi was really vaguely mentioned in the game, really...Basically just a war w/Espers...how many FFs is that the plot to already??

FFVI: The Adventures of Billy & Clyde - C'mon, we were barely given any info on TEAM SHADOW! Shadow's backstory was just a complete tease. It'd be great to see everything before that and who he really was and what really happened w/Relm's mom in the end...It surely wouldn't follow the conventional FF story pace, but who's to say that's such a bad thing, right?

FFVI: The Rise of the Empire - I think this idea would be the most beneficial to the original story. The reason for Kefka's insanity was only briefly mentioned in the game. I think it'd be GREAT to see the pre-madness Kefka, Leo kicking ass, the motivations behind Gestahl, probably even a young Celes & Tina/Terra!! Again, it wouldn't probably fit the same FF storyline...but, hey! Maybe put Billy & Clyde together w/The Rise of the Empire as one game w/two separate storylines or something!

Last edited:
Yeah, most of the above posters are right. As much as I loved Final Fantasy VI, its plot was just too self-contained and didn't really leave any loose ends that needed to tie up or even be expanded on. Most everything was addressed and resolved in the original game itself, so there aren't a whole lot of places you could take the plot from here. Any attempts they make to do so would either come across as forced or just plain lame. I suppose, if they really wanted to, they could potentially come up with a way for Kefka to come back or just say "ZOMG THE EMPEROR LIVED!" but...erm...nevermind, strike that. Yeah, that game would suck major ass, considering I just now remembered that the Emperor was pushed off of a floating...thing.

Anyway, I suppose it all comes down to closure. A game/movie/anime/what-have-you whose ending gives the audience sufficient closure does not and will never need a sequel. However, if it were to have an ambiguous ending that leaves the audience dissatisfied and asking questions that they really shouldn't be asking come the end of the series ("What exactly happened to the human race, anyway?" or "So...did the good guys win the final battle, or...?"), then I could see you justifying a sequel. For example, as much as I despise Advent Children, I have to admit that Final Fantasy VII's ending was in need of some sort of continuation or retcon. Granted, it could've and should've been handled much better, but the fact remains that we don't even know whether or not humanity was wiped out in FFVII. All we knew was that, somewhere between the present day and 500 years AFTER the present day, Midgar is destroyed.

However, FFVI didn't have this. Its ending was satisfying and tied up all of the plot's loose ends. Kefka was killed and the characters returned to their everyday lives or something close to it. The world was saved, the bad guy died, the main characters were (for the most part) returning from their journey to live out the rest of their lives in peace...a satisfying conclusion, no? To restate the thesis, FFVI's ending just doesn't need a sequel. There's nothing to pick up or expand on, nothing that would require a close inspection...Hell, even saying that it has the potential for prequels is a bit of a stretch (though admittedly, not nearly as much as a sequel would be). The fact of the matter is that FFVI is entirely self-contained.

...And besides, would you really want to risk Nomura being put in-charge of the whole thing?

I'm not saying that Nomura would definitely end up working on it, but I'm just saying that there's always the chance that he does end up at the helm. If that happens, all hope is lost, for another wonderful RPG will have suffered the fate of Final Fantasy 7, sacrificing incredible storytelling for indescribably obvious fanservice. I mean, really, sequels tend to suck a lot more when the original game had nothing to pick up/expand on. Imagine Tetsuya Nomura being forced to randomly stringing together some of the terrible Final Fantasy VI-related ideas floating around in his head, slapping the name "Final Fantasy VI-2" on them, and making a game out of them. Is that a risk you're willing to take?

...Besides, it's not like any good director could come up with a solid storyline for a Final Fantasy VI sequel, either. Like I said, there's just nothing to worth with. Everything was resolved. Whoever tries to make an FFVI sequel will undoubtedly end up grasping at straws in hopes of making the lightning strike twice. Unfortunately, this will inevitably fail, leading to a cheap, poorly thought-out sequel. It's not neccessarily the fault of the director, but rather, of the fact that there's just not a whole lot of room for expansion when it comes to the self-contained plot of Final Fantasy VI.

This thread made me have a very strange dream last night. I dreampt that they did make a VI-2 but it was like a sims game. You basically had to build the world back up. Though you didn't get to be one of the characters, but you got to interact with them.

In my dream the game was fun to play but I would think that it would be a bit cheesy XD.

This thread made me have a very strange dream last night. I dreampt that they did make a VI-2 but it was like a sims game. You basically had to build the world back up. Though you didn't get to be one of the characters, but you got to interact with them.

In my dream the game was fun to play but I would think that it would be a bit cheesy XD.

Awww, Rydia has such cute dreams ^^

While there are a few little things that could probably be explored, I think it would just take away from the original story.

Like, you could do a game on the Empire and The Returners fight against them up until Terra joins in, but really, would it really have a interesting storyline like FFVI?

Since you know what's gonna happen and there's wasn't really any one special character to base a game around before the FFVI timeline, you'd get bored of any made up character.

Look at FFVII Crisis Core; I haven't played it, but even I know that since Zack got enough recognition in FFVII and other FFVII installments, a game from his POV would be interesting.

And that's just prequel ideas; like already mentioned, FFVI doesn't really have any lose ends to continue AFTER the end of the game.

The_Oathkeeper said:
I'm not saying that Nomura would definitely end up working on it, but I'm just saying that there's always the chance that he does end up at the helm. If that happens, all hope is lost, for another wonderful RPG will have suffered the fate of Final Fantasy 7, sacrificing incredible storytelling for indescribably obvious fanservice. I mean, really, sequels tend to suck a lot more when the original game had nothing to pick up/expand on. Imagine Tetsuya Nomura being forced to randomly stringing together some of the terrible Final Fantasy VI-related ideas floating around in his head, slapping the name "Final Fantasy VI-2" on them, and making a game out of them. Is that a risk you're willing to take?

Without RISK, there is no REWARD. I don't think he'd end up behind it anyways...He got behind the FFVII Compilation because it was his baby to begin with basically...or at least he was as familiar w/the characters as anyone else could have been since he designed them, yeah? I think he'd have the good graces to leave FFVI to someone else.

But, yeah, like I said...sequels are obviously out of the question for the FFVI world. Everything was finished...but I think prequels are a good idea since not everything was expanded upon. We don't know much about the War of the Magi, Kefka, Gestahl, Leo & Celes' past, or Billy & Clyde's past...all of which I think would be interesting to learn more about in ANY media form! Game, movie, what-have-you! I guess I'm more for a FFVI Compilation then...wtih a 3D FFVI DS remake, of course! HA!

Back