FFXIII: Love It or Hate It?

I just beat the game like a week ago and i loved it there were some hard fights throughout which i liked and the story was pretty good but compared to 7 and the others it's kinda shit inovative yes but not the best in the series.

I recently finished just about everything you can possibly do in the game, including all 64 marks, creating ultimate weps, and full crystariums. I really did love almost everything about this one, but after just playing X and maxing that out, I must say that the lack of "superbosses" and general end game play was a disappointment. It was far too easy to get all the chars to max level and as for the final mark mission, it was one of the all time biggest let downs in ff history, not only in appearance but in difficulty. I am really hoping they throw a LOT more end game content into XIII-2.

I absolutely loved the game. It was such a challenge that required serious thought and tactics. Never before in an FF game have I had so much difficulty and died so much!!! I'm not really a tactician, which is why I struggled so much, but that was half the fun! Figuring out what was needed to bring down the bosses.

Of course, it was a major struggle sometimes, like when fighting the airship outside of Hope's house. When I saw that thing's HP I nearly cried, because I've never seen such a high level of HP before. But finally defeating it was so awesome!

And the story has so much depth to it. Well, it has the potential for more depth. I did feel that Squeenix sacrificed the story for fancy graphics in places, but what we did get was very fulfilling. You got a lot of depth and development with each and every character. It wasn't like in the other games where you get the odd one scene focusing around a single character and then the rest focusing on the main character (and love interest, if relevant). EVERY character's role was important, even if that person was only chosen as a l'Cie by sheer coincidence. They made sure every character had an important role to play and that each character started off on a low and ended up as a stronger person. That's the kind of thing you miss with the other games. In the others, only people who really change are the main one and their love interest. Everyone else just seems to be there by coincidence.

...I'm babbling now. *zips her mouth up*

i really, really wanted to love it but.. first of all none of the characters attracts me especially Snow- he annoys the hell out of me. lightning's neither good nor bad, her outfit's badly designed. Well Fang's cool, but what's wrong with her hair?? Vanille, her english voice is very annoying. Serah's just an ordinary japanese high school girl, is she not? hope's cute if he would quit acting miserable. and i dont know what to say about.. what's his name again?

and the maps- i almost forgot they had cities! because all i got to go was forests/plains/some abandoned valleys. whenever my team arrived at a city they were chased/hiding/on the run.

the storyline- it's like i was playing a tutorial from chap1 to 13... i barely used my brain.

the graphic style well, we should be expecting this kind of graphic performance since its on PS3. but i think FFXIII lacked of style- remember when we play VII? the lifestream? and VIII? flowers and feathers? IX? Amano? X? those shining souls? and XII? ancient architectures? XIII reminds me of nothing. now that i have finished the game, but i can still recall nothing. well okay, i remember seeing a lots of pink...

the battle system is good, but nothing compared to XII's.

just my opinions.
:)

Before FFXIII, I had only knew FFVII, so I didn't know what to expect from the game when I 've first acquired it. It was so radically different from that old game of a decade ago, and I couldn't help but to love it. Yes, now that I'm more aware of how are most of FF games, I can notice how not-FF was this game, but I'm just gonna ignore all the fanboy hate and love this game the way it is. Though it's not perfect and lacks of much FF things, I really liked it.

The characters were amazing, in my opinion. I wasn't expecting another Cloud-mindfuck kind of development for Lightning, but i'm satisfied with her character and personality. And I love Vanille's voice. Lovely-annoying accent makes her cute. :P

I do admire how everyone says "this is" a bad game, instead of "I thought", or "my opinion".

I loved this game and I know I am not the only one who did. I think a lot of people didn't like the linearity of the game. And a lot of people are just jumping the wagon of hating it, and many people who say it was bad are just following others voices without playing it.

I LOVED the linearity of this game, not to say that I do not like the world map, but with THIS game, the linearity worked.

There are three things I have admired from the beggining of final fantasy.

1. Beauty
2. Good story
3. Changing systems.

This game had all three of the things I look for in a final fantasy, and if you say the voice acting was bad, its because you were not listening to the original japanese (I did =P) which features very powerful voices.

When push comes to shove I will not say as a matter of fact that this IS a good game, but in my opinion it was. And it sold like a killer to the TARGETED asian market, giving them what they wanted. I think the west has become so critical of the FF titles that they are slowly forgetting about marketing to western crowds in the first place, because we are too picky, and we are outnumbered by the many asian audiences who actually give respect for what is offered. If you havent noticed the ratings and opinions of the East are way more positive then the west, because we don't like change.

I just think change is refreshing.

Actually, I think it's the reverse. When I think about FFXIII and its strict linearity, I am reminded of the common western action games that don't actually allow you to have much freedom. Japan is a very conservative audience in general, and you can see that reflected in how the most popular RPG franchise over there (Dragon Quest) remains a staunchly traditionally turn-based battle affair and how it's taken a while for the JRPG genre to gradually change. It's the Japanese audience that is more cautious to change and the western audience more willing to accept it. Now, in relation to FFXIII doing well in Japan, you have to remember a few things. Big-name domestic releases such as Final Fantasy in their country will always do extremely well and remain highly acclaimed no matter what, though I have seen several Japanese reviewers negatively talk about the game - and I don't mean Famitsu of course. What could also be probable; Japan loves the RPG genre because of the strong level of narration, even if the gameplay may be a bit off. FFXIII had that narrative - though how good it was is debatable - and this strong story-driven direction probably ticked many of their boxes in the right way.

The linearity worked for this kind of strong story-driven direction, I acknowledge that. However, the fact that it's so tightly scripted, I just felt too confined while playing it. FFXII had a wonderful world that you could explore and interact with and while by no means was I expecting that from FFXIII, I found it utterly disconcerting to see just how little there was in the way of interaction. The scenaries were very pretty yes, but it felt like lifeless wallpaper, and I was just running through his beautiful wallpaper expecting the next boss or cutscene, or both. I'm the sort of person who enjoys deviating from the story from time to time to focus on other things, such as looking around, perhaps doing some errand missions or just grind to my heart's content (fecking Crystarium). Of course, no one was lazy, when you look at the graphics and realise just how beautiful it is, it's just that sheer visuals alone are not going to distract me from what I see as being a one-way romp through a mostly lifeless world with only a few really good, memorable moments. The game was certainly a bold new direction, but just one I didn't like or value that much.

All I know is that down here in China people are raging for it. Most of the people don't even recognize or acknowledge the games before X. The newer changing style of Final Fantasy is driving its marketing edge directly into asia. The fact that it sells amazingly in China is quite substantial because in general they don't really care for Japanese anything. The gaining of other markets in Asia can definately have an affect on these games we love, and most of these countries did not have the economies or luxury's of playing the old ones, so from the very start they are going to be content, just making their job of change that much easier, and to many people's disappointment.

I think we can all agree that there have been many more negative ratings in the West for this game then there have been in the East, and looking at the worldwide sales, it would not be even next to surprising if they began to disregard the audience's of the West. Lets face it, when it comes to the east there is a much greater population, and within that population many more gamers in general.

Now if you do compare worldwide sales of the game you will notice that the sales of XIII in China while quite large, are nothing amazing. Now consider this, its a country where over 90% of movies and entertainment are puchased pirated, thus giving no amount due for credit of ownership. Now consider that China is just now starting to heavily regulate the laws of piration, now you take the profit gained from one asian country, and multiply times 10, to recieve a very amazing number. The people of SE are not fools, they can see the uprising of prosperity in "most" of asia and you can take it to the bank that they are going to invest in that change. While SE profits pretty fairly among the West and the East during these days, you can expect a lot of change over the next couple decades.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and theory's. My theory stands as stated. I do love the open world games, I mean IX is one of my favorites, however I really do not mind sitting down to a game with consecutive execution of story and playing, without having to wander around the map pissed off, or resort to looking up crap online.

Last edited:
I do admire how everyone says "this is" a bad game, instead of "I thought", or "my opinion".

I loved this game and I know I am not the only one who did. I think a lot of people didn't like the linearity of the game. And a lot of people are just jumping the wagon of hating it, and many people who say it was bad are just following others voices without playing it.

That's assuming a lot about people, Ambassador. So everyone on this forum who dislikes it never played it and are just following a fad? Right...?

I did in fact play it and that's the reason for my posts and many other people's posts. We spent years thinking "oh gosh this is going to be awesome!" and then buy a 50+$ game just to find it 50% of it was movie, 20% of it was liner maps and the last 30% of it were battles or dialog skipping (I am counting all the textual dialouge etc etc). There was barely any "play" to the game. Why didn't SE just make a movie? Oh! That's what this is! An slightly interactive movie. xD

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and theory's. My theory stands as stated. I do love the open world games, I mean IX is one of my favorites, however I really do not mind sitting down to a game with consecutive execution of story and playing, without having to wander around the map pissed off, or resort to looking up crap online.
What fun is there if everything either comes so easily to you, or that it doesn't require you to even do much? Puzzles? They are meant to get you thinking. Walking around world maps? Let's you interact and learn the world, its beauty etc etc. Walking around town to town, speaking to its people? Let's you understand the people of the world's problems, lets you get into THEIR world, let's you explore what makes them them in their world.

Think of how awesome FF13 would have been, or even this sequel, if they made a world map or towns with people to actually interact with. As I understand, FF13-2's story, besides most of it going to the "find Lightning" thing, is restoring the world (etc). Now think about how great it would be to learn about the people who are suffering, suffered or how to directly help them through interaction. Quests? Puzzles? Walking around and learning and thinking to beat the game? All of that could have greatly increased FF13's fun ( etc), but as it is its just dialouge, movie, battle, liner map and then repeat again...

I don't know where that wagon of hate is parked, but I definitely didn't board it to Hatesville because some random person took it. I follow no fad, sorry. >.<

The linearity worked for this kind of strong story-driven direction, I acknowledge that. However, the fact that it's so tightly scripted, I just felt too confined while playing it. FFXII had a wonderful world that you could explore and interact with and while by no means was I expecting that from FFXIII, I found it utterly disconcerting to see just how little there was in the way of interaction. The scenaries were very pretty yes, but it felt like lifeless wallpaper, and I was just running through his beautiful wallpaper expecting the next boss or cutscene, or both. I'm the sort of person who enjoys deviating from the story from time to time to focus on other things, such as looking around, perhaps doing some errand missions or just grind to my heart's content (fecking Crystarium). Of course, no one was lazy, when you look at the graphics and realise just how beautiful it is, it's just that sheer visuals alone are not going to distract me from what I see as being a one-way romp through a mostly lifeless world with only a few really good, memorable moments. The game was certainly a bold new direction, but just one I didn't like or value that much.

This part of the post describes it exactly for me, my sisters&brothers and my friends who played!

That's assuming a lot about people, Ambassador. So everyone on this forum who dislikes it never played it and are just following a fad? Right...?

I did in fact play it and that's the reason for my posts and many other people's posts. We spent years thinking "oh gosh this is going to be awesome!" and then buy a 50+$ game just to find it 50% of it was movie, 20% of it was liner maps and the last 30% of it were battles or dialog skipping (I am counting all the textual dialouge etc etc). There was barely any "play" to the game. Why didn't SE just make a movie? Oh! That's what this is! An slightly interactive movie. xD

What fun is there if everything either comes so easily to you, or that it doesn't require you to even do much? Puzzles? They are meant to get you thinking. Walking around world maps? Let's you interact and learn the world, its beauty etc etc. Walking around town to town, speaking to its people? Let's you understand the people of the world's problems, lets you get into THEIR world, let's you explore what makes them them in their world.

Think of how awesome FF13 would have been, or even this sequel, if they made a world map or towns with people to actually interact with. As I understand, FF13-2's story, besides most of it going to the "find Lightning" thing, is restoring the world (etc). Now think about how great it would be to learn about the people who are suffering, suffered or how to directly help them through interaction. Quests? Puzzles? Walking around and learning and thinking to beat the game? All of that could have greatly increased FF13's fun ( etc), but as it is its just dialouge, movie, battle, liner map and then repeat again...

I don't know where that wagon of hate is parked, but I definitely didn't board it to Hatesville because some random person took it. I follow no fad, sorry. >.<

This part of the post describes it exactly for me, my sisters&brothers and my friends who played!

Well I was not attempting to debate on the quality of the game in any form or way, merely making the point that there were different "opinions".

I was however making the point that about something else entirely that had nothing to do with the quality of the game, and that was the marketing of these games. It was my entire point being addressed.

I did not say that everyone who said it was bad had not played (not once), just pointed out that there are a great number of people who let ratings and other people's opinions decide their own.

Perhaps things got the best of me when I made that post, I made the first one primarily in a different thread, and then left a follow up post that was silly toawards a friend. one of the posts I made was deleted because it seemed too short I guess. After my post was deleted...I remade my post longer, just to have the thread closed by the same people who deleted my post. So in response I merely deleted my old thread here and pasted my new reply, just to have it debated agaisnt afterwards, perhaps I was not so happy about being singled out on my opinion, so I decided to make my opinion on the matter clear.

Whether you agree that the game was good, bad, or just ok... the point is that I had a point. I know a lot of people do not like the game and I am not trying to sell the game to those who already formulated their own opinion, I was making a point on the marketing aspect, people are always going off on how it was horrible freely, but those who go off on how it was good usually get attacked.

I think the game lacked, freedom, innovation, and expansion, allthough with the technology that was put into the game you can not say it would have been that easy to add a free roaming world to the already massive size of the game.

puzzles are always something I did not care for so much in FF games, I would rather play a rubix cube to puzzle myself. I think an interactive movie does not sound that horrible. I am an advent fan of almost the whole seris and I am not afraid to admit that every single one of these games had good things and bad things.

If you are concerned with the marketing point I made previously, that refers towards the direction of the game, as well the future of FF, you can create a debate thread entitled "Why is FF changing". I really do not wish to stir a debate among the "opinion" based thread.

Every single person is entitled to their opinion, as are you, as am I. :cactaur:

Personally I love XIII. Sure, it was an interactive movie, but I am okay with that. I found the story incredibly interesting. Though...I can see how others couldn't like it. Definitely not the BEST FF, but definitely not the WORST, is all i'm saying. :)

Love it.
I liked the gameplay. I also liked the characters, especially Vanille. Music was stellar.
Story isn't boring, unlike 12. It's not as good as previous FFs for sure, but I still find it very enjoyable.

Did I already comment on this? I can't remember.

Anyway, I've actually been playing (albeit slowly) through this game with my cousin and with our witty lampooning of the dialogue the game is actually bearable. I do not like the battle system, but after XII it is a step in the right direction. Still for the first few hours it's really boring, and the sphere grid clone is incredibly dull as well so far.

But the storyline is okay so far, and the dialogue and voice acting bearable, so I think XII now has the bottom spot on my list of FFs.

This game is so frustrating it makes me want to rage. It has so much going for it but it became the poster child for Square-Enix trying to cater to a community that could give less of a damn about it as long as they get their yearly Call of Duty, Madden etc. fix.

Pros:

- Absolutely Beautiful game, this cannot be stated enough.
- Engaging characters found in Sazh, Lightning, and Snow.

Cons:

- Story is painfully uninspired and the mostly spotty dialogue does not help it either.
- Character development is either nonexistent (Fang) and downright unbelievable in some characters (Hope)
- The Battle System. At first it was a welcome change, providing adrenaline-fueled fun for the most part. But then something happened; you start to notice that later on in the game when you fight bosses or anything remotely difficult you are pigeon-holed into following a strict tactic in order to win. This takes the aforementioned fun and runs it into the ground becoming an exercise in mindless repetition and boredom.

And a particularly personal con that many might not agree with...

-It does not feel like Final Fantasy anymore.

While playing through this game, all of the above issues wouldn't have meant squat to me if the world was an engaging place full of memorable characters, enemies, and locales. Guess what games have these? Every other Final Fantasy game.

Remember the Lunar Subterrae in FFIV? Balamb in FFVIII? Midgar in FFVII? Crystal World in FFIX? Mount Gagazet in FFX? I know I do, because each of those games gave me a wild sense of adventure. I loved going around the world maps or talking to every npc to understand the lore behind the games because it was all so damn fascinating. But FFXIII didn't have that. The game shoehorned us from place to place so often with no way of going back so we never get a chance to properly acquaint ourselves with the world our characters are supposed to inhabit. Sorry SE, but Gran Pulse and it's lifeless environment came far too late.

With all of the above being said, I still found the game to be greatly enjoyable at times but in the end it just wasn't enough. They just don't make them like they used to :(

Oh and for references sake, I bought this game the day it came out in JP AND the US version so I had plenty of time to think about how I really felt about it.

Last edited:
people are always going off on how it was horrible freely, but those who go off on how it was good usually get attacked.

Yeah, but it was you who attacked us, or those who were saying their opinion, that they didn't like FF 13, and then you said among the lines of " lol, I love it when people actually announce that FF13 actually sucks, and follow a bandwagon ". When people were actually saying their opinion, that they thought that FF13 sucked, and they hated it. So really it's you who who's doing the attacking on those who dislike the game, by saying that haters are only following a bandwagon.:ahmed:

Then you say that everybody can have their opinion, and you didn't mean to start a debate.
But you said before that haters are not expressing their opinions and are only followers ?
:ahmed:

Yeah, but it was you who attacked us, or those who were saying their opinion, that they didn't like FF 13, and then you said among the lines of " lol, I love it when people actually announce that FF13 actually sucks, and follow a bandwagon ". When people were actually saying their opinion, that they thought that FF13 sucked, and they hated it. So really it's you who who's doing the attacking on those who dislike the game, by saying that haters are only following a bandwagon.:ahmed:

Then you say that everybody can have their opinion, and you didn't mean to start a debate.
But you said before that haters are not expressing their opinions and are only followers ?:ahmed:

I copied that post from a thread called "This is a bad game, dont buy it", if you read my post I mentioned I moved the post from one thread to another because that thread was dropped. And that thread was a hate thread.

I never attacked anyone, and I don't even know why you are coming at me for any reason in particular other then to feel good about yourself.

As for me debating, I will say it "yet again", I was not debating the quality of the game, but the marketing methods that are bringing change to the FF titles.

And also "once again", I will repeat myself by saying I did not say everyone who hadn't played was a follower of a hate wagon, merely that there are some. So Pretty much I was NOT attacking YOU, UNLESS you have not played it, and insist on hating it.

And "again" I will say that everyone is entitled to their opinion, be it you hate it or love it, I am not attacking anyone for hating it. If "anything" I am attacking those who hate it without giving it a chance. If you do not fall in that catergory then I am not attacking you in any way, shape or form, and it is you who is attacking me. I only brought that point up because back in America I have three friends who enjoy final fantasy, but won't buy the game because of reviews.

I hope I had made myself clear because I am not trying to debate about this game's quality, you can say every bad thing in the world about it and I will not argue with you, its your opinion and you can have it as much as you want, but don't misconstrue the point I was making that had nothing to do with the game, or peoples opinions (of those who did play) but rather the marketing edge of the company.

In fact I would rather you delete that post and I will delete this one, because the subject was dropped for a little while and I don't see any real reason for you coming at me like this, as I already made these same clarifications before you.

Last edited:
Just want to point something out.

I like FFXIIII, as I said in this thread before. But, it DESERVES all the hate. The game is not a good FF game, as most will agree. I don't mind people who say they hate the game if they have substantial reasons (e.g. linearity, lack of interaction, etc). In fact, I agree with all these supported evidence. The game lacks depth, or fail to show any depth.

I don't really want to dislike people who think that FFXIII's story is bad. The game indeed has bad storytelling. I believe, it failed to make us part of the experience, and comprehend with the plot. However, after reading up on FFwiki, episode 0 and other sources, most people may find that the story isn't that bad. It's comparable to some of the older FF's stories, like FFX.

As I said, the game itself fails to deliver the epicness of this story. I think one problem is the players are not immersed enough into the game in order to make an effort in discerning the story. Why no immersion? This comes back to the lack of depth in this game, i.e. the major problems of this game: linearity, absence of proper towns and NPCs, lack of full customisation, lack of minigames, lack of sidequests, unrevisitable locations, etc. For instance, why would you care in saving the world if you don't sympathize with the people? You don't even get a chance to properly talk to them and get an intelligent response. You basically just eavesdrop. It's a completely different experience believe it or not.

This is why the game, IMO, deserves the hate. I don't usually reply and argue with people who hate the game as long as they have their reasons. FFXIII was quite a development failure. years of development fail to deliver the final fantasy experience that we desire. However, I do find 'opinions' with biased assumptions annoying. (e.g. FFXIII-2 sucks because FFXIII sucks)

Now an improvement to this 'depth' issue is what I am looking forward to see in FFXIII-2. While I still have my doubts, the game is already sounding good, with all the real towns and NPCs, exploration, revisitable locations, sidequsts, minigames, etc. I will probably lose my faith in Square Enix if this upcoming game fails to impress me.

Likewise, in my opinion, some games like FFXII do not deserve the hate. I like it, but I don't love it. I think I will love it if I have time to do a second proper playthrough. This game contains a considerable amount of depth that is not seen in FFXIII. Sure some characters and the story may be lackluster, but the amount of immersion in this game is quite commendable, don't you think? The sidequests are expansive. The field is effectively pieces of a world map, scale 1:1.

Last edited:

Bravo sir, I was actually going to touch on what you stated on how the story really isn't that bad. However, to me it doesn't really help the game out much because you have to go scouring through the sub-menus or reading outside sources in order to get information that should've been readily apparent.

I also agree with you on FFXIII-2, the game is shaping up to be awesome but this is modern day SE we're talking here, they have the unnatural propensity of finding the worst ways to implement good ideas.

I also agree with you on FFXIII-2, the game is shaping up to be awesome but this is modern day SE we're talking here, they have the unnatural propensity of finding the worst ways to implement good ideas.

That's what I am quite worried about :wacky:
But I don't know why, I have this strong optimistic feeling that FFXIII-2 is going to be good. Hopefully such high expectations from me will not cause a lot of disappointment in the end.

Back