Dark Knight
Veteran
Gil
FFXIV
Bambi Branford
FFXIV Server
Lamia
For all your general game banter!

What did you like / not like about this game? Is there something in particular you hated? Something you really enjoyed? Something that made you want to throw the game out of the window? Tell us all about them here!

Well I know a lot of people hated this game for one of two reasons. 1) The story line was not traditional 2) The game was an TPS (Third person shooter).

My opinion is if you can take an FF title out of its RPG element then you really need to go balls to the wall with the game play or graphics. I actually enjoyed this game because of course it gave you the side perspective of Vincent Valentine, one of the more interesting characters in the FFVII title. I had no idea what he was in FFVII, only thought he was a vampire/shapeshifting type creature but little did I know he was a test tube baby. (highly experimented on) I mean this game in itself is a stand alone in my opinion and really wasn't a true tribute to FFVII at all. I think people wanted a lot more "aftermath" stories of what happened to Cloud and the gang, as opposed to all about Vincent and a few minor characters.

I gave this game back in the day a pretty high rating, and to stay unbiased I still give it a high number these days.

8.5 for applying my brain to an FF title since FFVI. Don't get me wrong I loved and will always say FFVII/FFX were the best titles, but I think a third person shooter was right up there with an RPG. It was just different and refreshing for me..

Last edited:
Well I started playing a week ago and im already at AranchNero. This game is pretty good but easy if you have so many potions and a phoenix downs. If you have your rifle theres no reason to get killed. Hmm yeah the part when you fight arch azul made me want to throw it out the window but eventually I killed him. The CG cutscenes are awesome but some of the new characters sucked. Who is after AranchNero? Is it that dude on the throne? I hated AZUL TBQH!

Well I started playing a week ago and im already at AranchNero. This game is pretty good but easy if you have so many potions and a phoenix downs. If you have your rifle theres no reason to get killed. Hmm yeah the part when you fight arch azul made me want to throw it out the window but eventually I killed him. The CG cutscenes are awesome but some of the new characters sucked. Who is after AranchNero? Is it that dude on the throne? I hated AZUL TBQH!

Well i've beat the game numerous times ( enough to corrupt my file more than once) and I personally found it entertaining but i guess i do have complaints about it. I'm not sure if you've finished it yet but theres a story plot thing that i don't like about Hojo which i guess i'll put later after you're done with the game :D I think what i hate most about it is Shelke, the idea of implanting Lucrecia's memories into her is a story killer in my opinion. A lot of the new characters have little to no background and are just kinda of there, also Vice is not an epic bad guy at all :( I also thought that the graphics were too old fashioned rather than 2005-ish and as far as the game goes SE rushed it right after AC came out making the game lose any potential of it actually being a good seller. (Also hate the english dub.) Don't get me wrong i love this game, i'm just saying that it had a lot more cons than pros. I did like how they actually explained Vincent's background story which is the only reason he's my favorite character now :)

i have to agree..they really should of known cloud and the gang alot alot more. I really enjoyed AC and i wanted more of cloud i guess thats too much cloud but him and tifa kinda interested me when read they were living together and the smile at the end, so i wanted to see more of thm in DC.

Normally, I'd think that seeing more of the others would be a good thing as well. In AC, that was my main concern. Such great characters were built up in the initial FF7 game and you wanted to see them expanded on.

However, in DoC's case, I don't think it mattered much. The game was clearly a Vincent-following game. So the cameos of the other characters were fitting.

On an interesting note, it left a lot of questions regarding what's been going on post AC, like why Cloud and Tifa were so up-beat compared to the former? =D

Last edited:
DoC definitely took me out of my RPG element, but it being a FFVII game, that wasn't gonna stop me. I was a little skeptical about the first person shooter thing until I actually stated playing the game, after that, I realized that there would be no other way to do a game about Vincent. He's a marksman and gun expert; He's also a skilled magic user and martial artist, so you can use that aspect about him as well. And finally, he's a shapeshifter. His Galian Beast and Chaos forms were bad ass.

Story wise, the story was solid and entertaining. It tied into the FF7 world and story perfectly. The new characters also tie into the story nicely, but due to the game's shortness, they're not given a lot of revelation time. Nevertheless for being a short game, all the characters IMO held there own when it came to the story. Many people might not like them because the main villian from this FF is the juggernaut of all villians, Sephiroth. Sorry to tell everybody out there, but there is not many villians out there that are on par with Sephiroth, so cut Rosso, Azul, Nero, Weiss, and Hojo a freaking break.

The side missions in the game, and the mini missions after the game were also pretty cool, it gave me something to do for a couple weeks.

The only real complaints I have about this game is that Vincent's other forms weren't included in the game. I would have loved to have gone Hellmasker on Deepground as their soldiers were sent running through Midgar with the Friday the XIII theme playing (CHH-CHH-CHH-CHH-----AHH-AHH-AHH-AHH) as a Jason look-alike was chasing them with either a machete or a chainsaw. Also, I didn't like the other playable character Cait Sith. Square should have known that if we didn't like to play as Cait Sith in FF7 when we had a choice, that we were going to like it even less when he was forced on us.

Above all, I give this game an 8 out of 10. This game was actually my gateway game to other shooter type games.

At first I hated the TPS as I didnt expect it too much but for this game I thinkit actually fits well, I don't like the tsviets or Vincents hair style ( Odd remark I know) but everything else I pretty much enjoyed.

I've never played any type of shooter game, so this one, to me, felt incredibly awkward at first. But eventually, I got the hang of it and actually liked it. for a long time, I thought I had to keep investing tons of money in that stupid plastic toy gun to make it into the ultimate weapon of the game, but I was told not to do that. Then I learned why: Vincent's final form. XD That form kicked so much ass, I just had no clue. Out of all the forms of Vincent, I think that one had to be the best one.

And I know I had a fascination with the rifle gun he had (the name of which escapes me :gonk:) but I used that one as much as I coull. It was the one I upgraded the most because I thought it rocked that much. XD

Now, it's been over 2 years since I last played it, but I know that I thought it had a great story, especially since it deepened the story of the elusive, mysterious Vincent Valentine. Who, also, I was convinced was a vampire and I was dead-set to prove it. Then I found he had no vampiric fangs at the part where he screams "Lucreciaaaaaaaaaaa!" Utter disappointment there. :gasp: But I loved the game overall and may definitely play it again when I have the time...:awesome:

I loved it! It was a little awkward at first but didn't long to get used to it. There was very little or no grinding which was I nice change and you couldn't get bored! The downside is that it was quite short and you don't get alot of flexibility with chapters.

I'd give it 7 out of 10.

ff dirge of cerebrus

did any1 like this game? I only played it to see vincent in his turk uniform in the tutoral! hehe but I liked it as well for the materia and the graphics and or course for vincent! :vincent: :yaoi: :blush: also loved the guns! My fav is defo cerebrus!! :blush:

Last edited:
Yeah, tom. I liked it. It was actually the first FF game I played (I know dumb, I should've played the original 7 first). But I haven't played the game in almost 4 years and I'd like to pick it up again and see if I really liked it for sure. I did like the gameplay because I like 3rd person shooters. I also love Vincent, so I think I'll really like the game when I pick it up again.

It was fun, and vincent is awsome. I really like customizing cerberus(just wish it wouldn't run out of ammo so quickly). I added a scope and long barrel to it. But it could have been longer. Easy mode took me 2 nights to win(no joke or exageration) and hard took me another 2 nights. Very hard on the other hand destroyed me just after the first save point going down the street.

I like Third Person Shooters in general (Even if my aim is complete crap at the beginning) so I really did enjoy this game. Vincent Valentine have always been one of my favorite characters even though I never could get him in the original game. I kept failing and gave up =( This time I'm determined to get him during my recent play through!

Anyways it made since for this game to be Third Person Shooter if you ask me. Vincent just fits that kind of role other than Barrett with his arm-gun. And remember it's a spin-off so it being another genre is at least forgivable if it upsets you that badly. I remember getting stuck at some part where I was trying to fight off snipers and kept dying so I finally just got pissed off and stopped playing.

I have a bad temper =(

There is one part that could've been much cooler- if when Rosso was about to commit suicide, she says something like "I wont let you kill me." If VV had just popped her in the head or chest with a little laugh.

D_E- what did you think of the Secret Ending (mild spoiler):
Did it seem to you that the secret ending left this compilation open to another sequel? And how with all the stories in the 7 compilation do you not give us a proper ending?

I feel the take on Dirge of Ceberus could have been better to suit different types of gamers.

I found the Japanese v. to look more challenging than the NA v. that I played. Watching different youtube clips of it seemed a lot more fun. I was jealous that Japan got, what I considered, a more pure copy.

I think DoC is one of the games that should have came out now with the nextgen consoles for it's content to get updated daily. This was the case for the game but like most Square Enix franchises or PS2 online capable games they get shut down. I think there would be a deeper underground pull if the DLC revealed more of Vincent Valentine or the Turks. Just a thought.

Regards,
Thief

I feel that DoC was a great addition to the FF7 family.
As it brought Third person shooting to an RPG based game.
The best part of the game was the customising of the guns etc. creating the Hydra was the best choice in my game plays.
And it has still kept my interest even after several dozen play throughs.
:D
FF7: DoC is quality gaming imo. :wacky:

Last edited:
I don't really like third person shooters so this game wasn't very good to me, i felt they could have done alot more with Vincent's controls instead of just jumping, doing a 1 meter dash and having a choice of only a pistol, sniper rifle and a machine gun. I also thought they could have done alot more with the Chaos controls at the end instead of floating around shooting some next laser gun (that was the time to go insane...)

I only enjoyed the movies, cutscenes and general storyline so overall i give the game a 5/10

Back