FFIV General Discussion

Daenerys

The Last Dragon
Veteran
Gil
For all your general game banter!

What did you like / not like about this game? Is there something in particular you hated? Something you really enjoyed? Something that made you want to throw the game out of the window? Tell us all about them here!

Well, I've been playing this game for the last couple of days now, and it's really addicting. I got all the way to the part when
Cecil becomes a paladin.

And speaking of which, I had forgotten that his level goes all the way down to 1 when that happens, so now I gotta train again -__-

Although it's kind of funny he goes up 8 levels after one encounter :awesome:

Aw I was so annoyed at that, especially after Id spent so much time training I was like nooooooo

Fucking love the game though, got the DS version for 1p off ebay so I was half expecting it to not work xDD

I didn't even mind the difficulty, which is uaually something thats bound to get my blood boiling. There were some bitches of bosses though. That damn red dragony thing guarding that chest was the bane of my life D:

I played the GBA version during vacation. I must confess I was bored and just chose a FF game I haven't played yet, so when I saw IV I was like "meh, let's give it a try".

Turned out to be really good. :awesome:

I loved the game and the characters. I think Rydia was my favorite, but I really liked Cecil
specially after he becomes a paladin
. The part at Mt. Ordeals is great. This game has some great moments, from awfully sad to extremelly cute ^_^

Oh and Kain. I discovered I love dragoons. :gasp: His Jump ability always pwned my enemies.

And the ending is great. I almost cried! It's just a great game, it knocked my disbelief to the ground real good. Can't wait to play the DS version.

Ohh, yes. How I love dragoons. In everyone of these games. Needless to say, I was very sad to hear Kain wouldn't be representing in Dissidia. *sad pause*. I'll survive.

I remember Rydia (Ali) kept wanting me to play this game awhile back, and I finally listened to her advice months after. It really is a great game and has a good storyline (although nothing too deep) and kept me playing for hours and hours on. Some of the bosses were hard and it did wanna make me tear my hair out, but I appreciate a challenging battle.

I didn't like Kain's voice too much though, same with Rosa. The rest were fine and my favorite character is Rydia. I seriously kept waiting and wondering when she'd show up in my party again. xD

Love this game to bits. The characters the storyline, everything.

The remake/ update on the DS such made the game better, with a upgrade in difficulty.
Graphics update and decent character voices.

Kind of noticed how fans usually find Edward/ Gilbert to be annoying, but actually quite like him. He was cute, adorable. But can understand why fans dislike him. ( Weak in battle XD )

The only thing I disliked is before you walk into the final dungeon and the lights keep on flashing brighter and brighter. It was a real eye killer. Think only the SNES had that problem thoughs.

well, i haven't played the DS version, but the SNES version is awesome, the battle themes are typically my favorite part of the FF games, as well as the story line, but FFIV was amazing, the Cecil's change was unexpected, and, oddly enough, i died the first three times i played that part, then i read the text and figured it out lol, but Kain was my favorite character of all, Dragoons are AWESOMENESS!

Is the Ds version same or better than the PS 1 version and i still have the Snes as well it is what hooked me from the start

So, I wanna know:
Who else had a hard time making it to the final boss? The Lunar Subteranne is so hard, mainly because of enemy ambushes in the treasure chests. -__- I especially had a hard time with the Red Dragon that pops up in the Crystal Mail treasure chest. My levels are: Cecil: 68, Rydia: 67, Rosa: 67, Edge: 65, And Kain: 63. I didn't think that wass too low, but I may be wrong. Who else had a hard time? And what did you do?

Han -- I too struggled at first. I found it helpful to make little runs into it -- Go down and clear the first floor, come back up and use the free healing, venture a tiny bit into the second floor, come back up. Then I started getting some of the ultimate weapons, but would still return and restock until I felt strong enough to make my final approach

I adore FFIV. It was the first one I played and it got me into the series.
The story line is pure amazing! I love almost every bit of it. From the destruction of Mist to Golbez & Fusoya VS Zemus!
Favorite would have to be Palom and Porom sacrifice though. It is so sad.
Every "death" is great. Cid going boom, Yang...pure classic!

Love this game to bits!

Intially, I loved the game. I thought I would be getting to play as this dark anti-hero, and for once, a main character that actually wears proper armour! He would overcome his inner-darkness, and discover that his power is not evil, for it is not the power that makes a man, it is what he decides to do with that power, and all of that good conflict between the Darkness and the Light.

...No such luck for me. The amount of rage I felt at the Cecil's...change. It seemed more like he was trying to hide or forget the past, rather than face it. That actually made me put down the game for quite a while. Only recently have I picked it up and beaten it again. Golbez (apologies if that is spelt wrong) is quite awesome, on par with Exdeath for me as far as favourite villains go. Golbez would have been a better protagonist for one of my tastes.

Overall, I realize now that I missed out on the game, but I still utterly hate the Mountain of Ordeals, and all that it implies.

I played this game when it first game to the gameboy advance. That was like 5 years ago, so when i re-bought it for the ds. it was like an awesome flashblack of an awesome story. IV took my ffginity, and I must say it's an awesome game to lose it too. :P o_O im gunna have to say Porom was my favorite, the way he was always like "I could've done that alone." just always made me chuckle, mainly cause he's really short and stuff. :P

Good game, although I didn't get a good picture of the gam until replaying it a while ago, but I never bought the remake I played the original (well the Playstation version anyway close enough for me).

It was actually one of the best FF's I have played, I mean the dialogue was lacking but what Retro game didn't?

Great characters as well as the storyline too, I mean the Love Triagle was ended breifly, and I felt for poor ole' Cain...

Over all good game ^^

@Fiore: Good point as to the amount of dialogue in this game. It is also notable that this is really the first FF game that tried to do more than just offer gameplay -- the story of FFI is nearly non-existent, II amounts (IMO) to a lot of busy work, and III has a decent story but zero character development. IV is the first to combine them into a comprehensive narrative.

@KingUltros: Good point about Golbez as a villain. I read an article that made a good point:
Golbez is the only substantial villain of the series that you never defeat -- you only don't have to face him at the end of the game because of his change of heart. Otherwise he beats you every time that you run into him -- the best that you can accomplish is a stalemate that avoids total destruction.

This was really my first FF game that i got into. I spent so many hours playing this game as a kid i would go to sleep and dream i was one of the characters. What really made me love this game was the deep involving story from the mist destruction to Mt Ordeals to Kain's betrayal to the Golbez & FuSoYa vs Zemus battle. I played this game through so many times, and the fight against demon wall always made me want to throw my controller at the tv, even more so when i got the ROM of the Japanese Version which is much harder than any released anywhere else

I just got the FF-IV remake for the NDS, dint played it much yet. i am at the point where rydia joins the party, and there is only one cave where i can go to but i am not that strong to go in there (they kill me) so i want to train but every much of the monsters is a giantic desert beast that kills rydia in one hit and cecil in 2 hits. any one got tips?

This is actually more of a help booth question. I'm assuming you're at the waterway on your way to Damycan? :hmmm: The monsters in that cave can be a bit tough if you're under-leveled. Stock up on cures/potions in Kaipo and make sure Rydia is in the back row. You may want to do some grinding outside of the cave as well until she's gained a few levels. The monsters in the cave are weak against lightning so make sure Rydia has that as well as a healing spell.

Oh was there a help booth? i shall look better next time but the problem was actually that there is a green beast outside the cave that kills me no matter what i do he uses whirlwind and hit 186 on both characters.

Back