FFI: What would you change?

C i d

Dark Knight
Veteran
Gil
This is the first Final Fantasy game ever. It is good, but not perfect. What would you wish to be different?

For me,
-The story. The twist at the end comes too late IMO. They need a more solid plot somewhere in the middle.
-The characters need to talk.
-Dungeons to be less cruel. The branching paths leading to nowhere combined with abysmal random encounters can test your patience to the limits.
-More variety in the gameplay. It's mostly just random encounters, maze traversing, boss, town and so on.

I like that the characters dont talk so they need to shut their mouth.

That your character switch to another enemy if dies, apart from it i like very much the game, oh and add summons.

In retrospective I wish they had some of the classic FF elements....Cid, summons, Chocobos, Moogles, Crystals rather than orbs, etc. But this game was made before all these concepts were thought up. So it's excusable for the game to have none of these things (though the remakes do mention a Cid).

But I would have liked to have had actual characters and not just job classes. Or at least have some kind of backstory for the WoL. Something interesting. Their past was so vague. Maybe that added to the game's charm back in the day....I really wouldn't know. And I agree that I would like the characters to have dialogue, at the very least. Make them more interesting. Talking would bring some life to them.

And finally: I would try to remake the whole 'time travel'/'time loop' thing to the point where it actually makes sense, and doesn't hurt people's brains when they try to think about it.

Well its a classic. First final fantasy its as good as it can get. Nevertheless if they decide to remake the game for the 100th time LESS RANDOM ENCOUNTERS!

Not a damn thing :mokken:

The characters were neutral and it worked really well with the class system. The story was simple and sweet(Right to the point). The gameplay was all about exploring the world and solving problems in towns and villages which in turn gave you access to more parts of the world(Very fun imo). And there's so many things to explore and fight in those endless dungeons! I still haven't filled the bestiary yet. O__O I don't think anything about this game needs to be changed. It's simple and entertaining. I can definitely see why this game caught on. ^_^ The only complaint I had though were the random encounters. Those random encounters wouldn't let my sprite take ten steps ;-;

Last edited:
Nothing. It set the foundation for the rest of the series.

It's very simplistic, which is awesome. The original had its bugs, yeah, but who cares? It wasn't gonna be perfect back in the late 80s (or is it early 90s?).

NES:
Don't change anything other than the dialogue window speed and sound. Also, I wish the Thief wasn't borked in the original. :(

WSC/GBA/PSX remake:
Make it harder.

PSP:
Make it harder.

Make it so you aren't wandering aimlessly running into overpowered creatures when you SHOULD be going in the OTHER direction! :rage: It wasn't THAT big of a deal, but since I already have such little sense of direction it made the game THAT much harder... Not a BAD thing... Just something that I would have liked to see improved...

NES - Buy 99 Heal potions at once instead of 1 at a time. Make the square guarding the Masamune a spiked square. Random encounters on the last floor. LIFE and LIF2 work in battle.

GBA - Harder

Back