Gil
Andre the Adamantoise
Andre the Adamantoise
Zell
FFXIV
Ilyena Frost
FFXIV Server
Lamia
If you had to pick, would you say you love the game, or hate the game? Explain the reasons why you feel this strongly about the game in this thread and share your opinions.

Please try and elaborate on your posts, as short spammy posts may be deleted without warning.

Although not my number one pick, I'd have to say I love it because started it all. The graphics of the game have come a long way, but essentially, the plot is still the same; save the world from evil. Never fails. :)

Is it even possible to hate this game? By all accounts, FF1 does like everything that I usually hate in an RPG, & I still love it.

I neither love it or hate it - I'll just say that I didn't really like it that much. It is the very first game made back in the 80s, so I do forgive its shortcomings.

I like the simplicity of the battle system. There are no complex procedures in battle or stats development. You just get into battle, tap a button and win usually. It's definitely better than what you have to do in FFII. At least here I am not having to whack my own characters just to quickly raise HP.

I hate the story - forgiven again as it is the first game. There is no dimension to the DQ hero-esque characters. I don't like the fact that you can't park airships near a couple of the towns (and long treks were needed to get to them). I hate all the grinding that must be done to compensate for the lack of abilities in battle to get past tough enemies. The dungeons were a pain to crawl through. I really did not likle Mt. Gulg.

I think that final fantasy 1 is a very good game for its age but there was tons of room for improvement but you can't really blame square because technology was limited then.

Is their a neutral option?

I certainly don't love it, but I don't hate it as much as FFV and II. This game just did nothing for me, I hated the ending, I thought it was cheap. I didn't so much mind the mooching through the game, and the story was alright I suppose, it just wasnt anything to write home about

I know if I'd of been introduced to FF with this game, I'd of likely never looked at the series again

Not as good as the others, but it was fun. Most people say FFII was the first one with a full story, and I disagree. FFI's story is basically 4 fiends are trying to destroy the world and you have to stop them. It even had a twist at the end. Sure, there was no character development at ALL, but it was one of the first games ever made! The battle system was pretty good. Overall, I found this game a little above average.

I like FFI. It was the game that started it all. I was introduced to Final fantasy by a friend five years ago. He was at the time playing FFX. I played it and loved it and decided to get into the FF Series. I bought FFI and played it for about 12 hours the first night:P
I loved the storyline. Evil is enveloping the world. Go save it! Never gets old. But since then i have played every FF Game to date.

i thought it was a dope game. Loved being able to choose whether i want bunch of mages or fighters. Only character never used was the Black Belt or monk

I thought Final Fantasy was a fun game and deserves it due. It's interesting to think that this was going to be Square's last game because their previous titles weren't selling well and it single handedly saved them and paved the way for a number of other games by Square to be made. If Final Fantasy was never made Square would probably have gone out of business and we wouldn't have had some of the great Final Fantasy games that came out in later years.

The Red Mage is easily my favorite and I found the story rather interesting. I like to play through with a Warrior, Red Mage, White Mage and Monk.

The starting point of the greatest gameing sieres ever, got to be a love for just that reason alone. Basic Rpg with a good story, Shame no summons though. But inspite of that I'd rather play I than XII or XIII any day of the week.

I have not even finished the game yet. I'm still stuck in the dungeon area, but other than that, I still enjoyed the game so far as I played it. My favorite character to use is the red mage since I can rely on him for magic and strength. But for a start of a very popular series, FFI is very good.

FF1 was a really fun game to play, I still play the remade GBA version now. The class setup in the start of the game is an awesome feature, however most people stick with white, black mage, thief and warrior as that is a good party to start out with.

I love it! it's a shame about their being no character development but the game came out in 1987 what do you expect? It was the norm for video games to be short, have a simple plot and no real character development back then, also they were just starting to develop ways for you to "save" your game progress at that point too I believe. It still had a very good story for its time and I loved the choices of classes at the beginning. I always named the white mage after myself and I don't care if it's actually a guy it looks like a girl!

I don't love it...neither hate it...
I decided to stop playing at the last dungeon (
chaos shrine 2000 years ago
) as the random battles are far too annoying. Then I went to wiki and youtube to see the ending :P The time travel plot twist was a little bit too unfitting for the game, as its plot has been rather monotonous.

things I dislike:
-ANNOYING random battles
-ANNOYING flee system
-maze-like dungeon (If I did not use a guide, I would have probably quitted on the first few dungeons. I really am not a puzzle type person)
-weak storyline. I wish they could have expanded on
the time travel and loop as it is pretty much the only interesting plot of the game
-the fact that you cannot land the airship on anything other than grass and that almost every spot is not grass
-ZERO character development. They don't even talk.
-you are often not told where to go. Again, if I did not use a guide, I would have stopped playing long ago.
-the need to grind for money for ridiculously expensive magic.
-75% of the magic spells are useless
-there is almost no point of having a thief when he can't even steal

things I like:
-the soundtrack is of high quality. I love the town and castle themes :)
-sprite design is cute
-monster designs are better than the more modern titles (FFVII monster design is weird btw)
-classic feel
-exploration

then again, it is the very first final fantasy that came out in 1987. It is a gem in its time. If I were a kid of that generation, I will most likely love it. But the present me is more fond of the modern FFs. I wish they can remake the older FFs to full 3D...

In conclusion, I like it, but not love.

:awesome:It was the first RPG that I have ever played...it holds special meaning to me. I am really glad that they re-released it a few years ago for the PSP

I actually don't like it. I'm interested while is creating characters and classes but then after defeating Garland, the interest drops. They just don't tell you where to go, and the storyline just seems not there. It is a older game though. It's a no, for me.

Love it. The game did things to my math and memorization skills that nothing else could have when I first played it. There was something very rewarding about knowing exactly how much damage an enemy could take, how much you could dish out, and planning every attack just right to avoid attacking empty air after an enemy fell. The story may not be mind blowing, but there's some charm to its twists and creativity. Honestly, it's the closest a main Final Fantasy game comes to Role-playing, since you're entirely in command of who joins your party and what they are like. A friend of mine even went so far as to come up with backstories to all of her characters - unlike later games there's a lot more room for imagination to run free.

The fiends established a recurring FF theme, and Chaos set the precedent for fighting and killing evil gods. The game was very true to its inspiration (Dungeons and Dragons), and that DnD tradition of having at least one robot enemy help lay the groundwork for all the varying levels of technology and magitech throughout the series. When looked at in relation to everything else that came out when it did, it's top notch. It may not have aged too well, but nostalgia goggles protect it as far as I'm concerned.

Back