Favorite Playable Character

I was defiantly stuck between Auron and Kimarhi. They were both strong but Kimarhi held off his character for a long time which I do like the "Mysterious" kind of character. They make me more interested.

Auron is my favorite Final Fantasy X character.

The posture, control and state of mind they gave him made Auron seem like the warrior that could never be afraid and held a sort of samurai code to protect and guide Yuna and Tidus.
A point that needs to be mentioned is his awesome design. A samurai like jacket with a huge triple x mug filled with sake that he carries around constantly. Hiding away one of his arms implying that if he bothered to use them both the battle would be too easy for him. I think the reason I personally liked Auron the most was how much his design and character was based on honorable samurai. I don’t know about you, but there is something about samurai's that just fills me up with a weird sense of manliness. And Auron managed to capture that feeling.

Auron seems to never be afraid or impressed, giving away the constant feeling of an old warrior that has already seen it all. A warrior that truly did take this journey once before and because of that he became more experienced, strong and calm towards any obstacle.

But what I liked most about Auron was his sense of duty and dedication to his friends. The past of Auron was so tragic where he lost his two best friends only to challenge Yunalasca in rage for the false teachings of Yevon. That scene was one of the most powerful in my opinion. How he protects Tidus and Yuna in a sense of duty to their fathers, the friends he couldn’t save.

Other than that his theme song and voice acting was perfect, I truly feel that they managed to nail those parts.

“Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain, or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!” ― Auron

I don't remember if I posted here :hmmm:

Either way... Yuna. She's SO good. From her personality to her brokenness after getting her ultimate weapon, to being stupid good even BEFORE her ultimate weapon. She's just AWESOME! :awesome:

I posted in here ages ago but since replaying FFX over the weekend I think i've changed my mind on my favourite character.
I can't remember who I even used to like.

Currently Rikku is my favourite. I think she's a really fun character. She's a bit lame but that's what I like. I also like using her in battle. She's fast, not strong but with good weapons equiped she's pretty good. Plus I love using steal and use!

I also like auron coz he's just bad arse.

I am not fond of Wakka as a character but in battle he's really awesome

Tidus I hate for the first half of the game until he matures a bit, I am not so fond of him in battle though, he's a bit weak

He isn't annoying.
Everything he says has purpose.
He doesn't have stupid hair.
He carries a huge sword and a huge jug of booze.
He doesn't take any shit.
He's your tank in battle.
He has the motherfucker of all coats.

Auron wins.

I think personally for me Lulu, Tidus, and Auron were among the top for me.

I really relied on Lulu's black magic in some points because they do some pretty hefty damage against a fiend that is set on one element type. As for Tidus, his agility were good for me, it was nice to be able to do a quick swipe when others would have like a second or two delay his was quick and to the point and his overdrives were pretty cool too. Lastly, Auron is just badass all the way around, from his large sword and awesome strength to his powerful overdrives plus I thought it was kind of cool that he was an unsent but didn't turn into a fiend and instead guided Tidus and Yuna along their path.

I'd have to say Auron and Wakka.
Seeing Auron watch himself 10 years earlier made me realize just how deep this character is in the story. All of the characters are tied together in some way (except Seymour) and Auron was the only playable character that had already seen it all.
I enjoyed Wakka's presence because he was optimistic and had a cool accent. He sometimes seems inexperienced, or somewhat of an "apprentice" like the character Tidus, just to approach a common relationship with the Audience. Wakka pulled this off very well.

I'd choose either Tidus or Auron, or maybe both.
The whole father/older brother figure Auron portrays is kinda cool to watch through the game, guiding Tidus through the events and basically telling him to man up every so often. Also the agility of Tidus and the Power of Auron makes up a great party while progressing, imo.

But yeah, either of them are cool with me :)

My favourite characters in Final Fantasy X were Auron, Yuna and Lulu.

To begin with, I found Yuna to be a bit... tragic. I liked looking at her and that was about it. She was a doormat, quite similar to the way I was as I was growing up. I really wanted her to stop apologising and defend herself. I really started to like her around the time she went off to Macalania Temple with Seymour, because she started being pro-active and showing the strength she'd gathered for herself, clearly with no help from any of the others because they had no idea of her plan.

Lulu was another one of my favourites because I saw something of myself in her in some vague way. She was withdrawn because she'd been hurt, and I suspected that Chappu was just the tip of the iceberg. By the end of FFX though, I felt like her character hadn't been developed as much as I felt it needed to be. Which leads me on to...

Auron. Auron was somewhat of an enigma a lot of the way through. He was cool in all but the most emotional of situations, reserved, a man of very few words and he was strong. My only regret for his character was that he didn't interact very much with the other playable characters other than Tidus. It was great to watch the Jecht Spheres and see his relationships with Jecht and Braska, and then to see him lose control for once with Yunalesca, which obviously brought about his demise.

So, my overall favourite character is Yuna. For me, the most important parts of a Final Fantasy game are the characters and their development throughout the story. I didn't feel like Tidus grew up throughout the whole story, he was still the damaged crybaby at the end that he was at the very beginning. Yuna on the other hand accepted her presumed fate, grew strong throughout her pilgrimage and learnt to not be a doormat. On top of that, I was never a fan of summoning before FFX, and Yuna brought that to life for me.

LanguageSponge

I didn't feel like Tidus grew up throughout the whole story, he was still the damaged crybaby at the end that he was at the very beginning. Yuna on the other hand accepted her presumed fate, grew strong throughout her pilgrimage and learnt to not be a doormat. On top of that, I was never a fan of summoning before FFX, and Yuna brought that to life for me.

LanguageSponge

I am the opposite of this. I found that Tidus grew a lot through the story. That's why he's my favourite character not just out of this game, but from all the Final Fantasy games I've played. If he'd learned of his fate at the begining of the game he would have thrown a tantrum, cried, tried to save himself. He was selfish and spoilt, as we all are to an extent living lives where technology makes everything easy for us, and where we're safe and happy. But after seeing Spira, travelling with Yuna and the others and taking on a new way of life, where people only laughed because if they didn't they'd cry, he really changed. When he found out he was a dream he didn't create a fuss, and he was willing to die to save the world, something I don't think he'd ever have taken on the way he was in Zanarkand. He matures a lot as well, the way he talks and the way he acts, he's more serious and dedicated after everything that's happened in the story. That's why he's my favourite :)

I didn't really see a change in Yuna, you mentioned Macalania, but it's not the first time she'd made a decision and acted on it alone, her decision to become a summoner and give her life to save Spira, despite the ones who loved her being against it, was the same sort of thing.

I am the opposite of this. I found that Tidus grew a lot through the story. That's why he's my favourite character not just out of this game, but from all the Final Fantasy games I've played. If he'd learned of his fate at the begining of the game he would have thrown a tantrum, cried, tried to save himself. He was selfish and spoilt, as we all are to an extent living lives where technology makes everything easy for us, and where we're safe and happy. But after seeing Spira, travelling with Yuna and the others and taking on a new way of life, where people only laughed because if they didn't they'd cry, he really changed. When he found out he was a dream he didn't create a fuss, and he was willing to die to save the world, something I don't think he'd ever have taken on the way he was in Zanarkand. He matures a lot as well, the way he talks and the way he acts, he's more serious and dedicated after everything that's happened in the story. That's why he's my favourite :)

I didn't really see a change in Yuna, you mentioned Macalania, but it's not the first time she'd made a decision and acted on it alone, her decision to become a summoner and give her life to save Spira, despite the ones who loved her being against it, was the same sort of thing.

I've always seen Tidus as being pretty centred around himself. He constantly goes on about how this is *his* story and even though he does seem to get out of this frame of mind gradually throughout the game, towards the end he still goes on about how it's *his* story and he'll end it when he wants to. Maybe the fault is partly with me though: I'm a very black and white person. I didn't see Tidus's egocentricism disappear completely so I find it difficult to see much change at all. This attitude of being centred around oneself is something that gets on my nerves in life in general.

I think the reason I like Yuna particularly is because her very first major decision, to become a summoner, was done not for herself, but for the greater good of thousands of others. On another note, she doesn't stand up for herself at the beginning. She's portrayed as pretty weak - it takes her what the Besaid Temple monks lead us to be is an unusually long time to obtain her first Aeon, she seems to faint when coming out of the Chamber of the Fayth and Kimahri has to support her. By Macalania, she's seen Seymour for what he is and forms a plan to deal with it. A bad plan, but a plan nontheless. This isn't something she'd have done on her own at the beginning. She just wouldn't have been capable. By Bevelle, she's trying to send Seymour, and escapes to the Temple without the help of her Guardians. And at the end of the game, she's able to kill off her Aeons - a pain that we as spectators (or I at least) share in. I think she grew a massive amount throughout the pilgrimage; each to his or her own, I suppose :)

To be honest I don't blame him when he talks about it being his story - he adopted that from Auron remember. If I knew I was about to die, I would absolutely be thinking about how this was the end of my story, everyone else there Tidus thought would live, their stories would continue. It was his story that was going to make the difference, and it was his story that was about to end. I see your point about selfish/selfless. I think there's a difference between being selfish and being selfless, but that you don't have to be one or the other. Some people only do things that have a positive impact on themselves and some only do things that have a positive impact on others, but I think it's natural for everyone to have a bit of both in their characters, and that Tidus goes from being more selfish to being more selfless. It's interesting that you like Yuna for her decision to give her life to save her world, when in the end it's Tidus who makes the decision to die to save a world that isn't even his own. I can't see him as selfish at that point, and I think that shows the amount he's grown.

:) Not that I don't like Yuna too (she's my second favourite), and I do see how she has grown through the story too, I just don't think her change is near so big. Which is understandable. I feel like Yuna's change comes more from her beliefs changing rather than her character itself. I feel that the reason she never would have stood up to Seymour back in Besaid is more because at that point she was completely dedicated to Yevon and all that it stood for. She never would have questioned a Maester in the first place. Over the journey she saw and experienced things that showed her how flawed her religion was, and her faith was shaken. I feel like at that point, it wasn't Yuna's personality or character that changed, but her goals, she was no longer blind to the teachings. So I think they both change, but in different ways, and I really relate and like it more when I see a character's personality change, like I did with Tidus.

Probably Auron. His attack power is insane and his character is completely badass. For second place, Rikku for her mixing, stealing, ability to use items, and her speed. Aw yeah.

I've always seen Tidus as being pretty centred around himself. He constantly goes on about how this is *his* story and even though he does seem to get out of this frame of mind gradually throughout the game, towards the end he still goes on about how it's *his* story and he'll end it when he wants to.

But it IS *his* story. I also think Tidus develops throughout the story. He is kinda annoying to begin with but I think he definitely becomes less selfish as he begins to care for Yuna and the others.

In terms of Characters I tended to prefer Tidus, Auron and Wakka. and obviously Yuna for summons. I never really used much magic unless I had to.

Wakka had the ranged attack and then Tidus + Auron were the speed/boosts and power.

MAAAAAN, I can't WAIT for HD. HURRY THE F' UP!

iSmiff said:
But it IS *his* story. I also think Tidus develops throughout the story. He is kinda annoying to begin with but I think he definitely becomes less selfish as he begins to care for Yuna and the others.

I am a bit taken-aback by how I seem to have got something so simple so utterly wrong. I agree that Tidus becomes less selfish throughout the story and I definitely agree that he's kind of annoying, but I just thought the reason it looked like Tidus's story was because of the way it was told. Tidus narrates, we follow him throughout as he learns more about Spira and about himself. But on the surface of it all, the main driving force of the story is Yuna's pilgrimage across Spira. I really do think this can be taken either way. When Final Fantasy X was first about to be released, I must've seen some box art or something with Tidus and Yuna together, because I distinctly remember being under the impression that there were going to be two main protagonists, and there were - and I don't think that's a coincidence. I definitely remember thinking "Well, how is that going to work?". I really do think the question of whose story it is, is one of opinion. And apparently I'm in the minority! :)

I do think it's Yuna's story too, especially in the beginning, but I definitely think that towards the end of the game, once Tidus knows what he has to do to save everyone, that it's pretty clear it's his journey that's the important one. After all, if it weren't for him coming along on the pilgrimage, questioning everything, would Yuna even make the decision she makes? Or would she have ended up like her father and just been another summoner to die for a temporary calm?

As far as who I like best in battle, I love Yuna. I take her down Auron's path and it makes her summons completely thrash just about anything. Kind of breaks the game a bit. I've always heard that people like Rikku a lot, but I've never really seen the appeal of mixing, it never seems to get me results. I think I just don't know what I'm doing. So my favourite team is usually Tidus, Yuna and Lulu. I have Lulu as my mage, white and black, Tidus as my warrior since I take him down Auron's grid second and then Wakka's and Yuna as my bad ass summoner.

I do think it's Yuna's story too, especially in the beginning, but I definitely think that towards the end of the game, once Tidus knows what he has to do to save everyone, that it's pretty clear it's his journey that's the important one.

Yeah, just because it's *his* story doesn't mean the other characters aren't important ones. But I do wonder; is Sin defeated without Tidus? Probably not. I think X is Tidus' story and X-2 is Yunas. You get to hear her inner thoughts and hear her side of things whereas in X it was Tidus.

I am a bit taken-aback by how I seem to have got something so simple so utterly wrong.

But on the surface of it all, the main driving force of the story is Yuna's pilgrimage across Spira.

Of course you're not WRONG. That's the beauty of it; it's all down to interpretation in alot of cases. It's just my opinion that without Tidus I don't think the pilgrimage gets completed. Yuna probably marries pot-belly. But I think, although the pilgramige is the main focal point of the story it is still Tidus' story. It's his quest to get home. I think as he learns that's probably not possible the more he commits to Yunas cause and helping all of the great people he's met along the way. Tidus' narration gives us greater insight into his throught process and his feelings. It's equally any of the guardians story as much as Yunas except for Tidus in my opinion.

Yeah, just because it's *his* story doesn't mean the other characters aren't important ones. But I do wonder; is Sin defeated without Tidus? Probably not. I think X is Tidus' story and X-2 is Yunas. You get to hear her inner thoughts and hear her side of things whereas in X it was Tidus.

Of course you're not WRONG. That's the beauty of it; it's all down to interpretation in alot of cases. It's just my opinion that without Tidus I don't think the pilgrimage gets completed. Yuna probably marries pot-belly. But I think, although the pilgramige is the main focal point of the story it is still Tidus' story. It's his quest to get home. I think as he learns that's probably not possible the more he commits to Yunas cause and helping all of the great people he's met along the way. Tidus' narration gives us greater insight into his throught process and his feelings. It's equally any of the guardians story as much as Yunas except for Tidus in my opinion.

I see your point :) The more I think about it, the more I am coming around to the idea that it is more to do with Tidus' quest and yearning to go home. I have probably stuck to my guns at this point though just because, as you said, it is down to our own individual interpretation. I would prefer to think of it as Yuna's story instead of Tidus' because I just can't bring myself to like Tidus. It's weird to think about, but if Tidus hadn't come along, she'd have probably ended up marrying the blue-haired freak-priest of Spira and turning him into Sin. I doubt that without Tidus she would ever have questioned anything at all. Nasty thought. It is probably Tidus' story over any others', but I choose to think of it more as Yuna's, because I like her better.

Back