Farewell to once so great series of games!

Lajunen

Gil
Pretty sure no one from squaresoft/square enix will never see this but felt I had to say farewell before I quit the series.

First stumbled on to FFVII on pc... hmm can't even recall when it was... and was hooked to the series after that.
Bought it for my ps1 as it lagged a bit on my computer.
Moved onwards to VIII and IX... loved both
At this point I took a step back and played I-VI through with emulator. Enjoyed all of them. Can't say anything about hard grinding or stuff as I speeded it up with emulator and was rather painless for me atleast.
At this point I got to X with ps2 and again had lots of fun.

Then I got distracted for a while with other stuff happening in my life. Got back to the series when I knew I had a full week of time (not so much guaranteed normally when you have children) and bought ps3 and FFXIII. Played the entire game through (well beat the final boss which doesn't relaly qualify as playing it through in this series... but throught he normal story atleast) even tho I pretty much disliked the combat system. Then I got to the point in which I actually found out that I could hate playing a game from this series. Instead of using wits and beating tough opponents to get your hands on the best weapons you needed to buy those from shops (well atleast as I understood I couldn't torture myself enough to check it) and only reasonably fast way to get the gil was to beat some freaking elephants with death spell and hope for a lucky gil worthy drop.

This drove me to take a break for over a year. Then that FFXIV: A Realm Reborn was published (was available on pc before ps3, but I figured that I'd wait for ps3 version so I wouldn't have to spend money to tune up my computer to make it run fluently... I mean who would make a game for console that you can't upgrade and make it lag... turns out Square Enix would). Despite the fact that it lagged quite badly I still managed to play it for 6 months or so... of which last 3 months I didn't even enjoy it but was hoping that they would actually fix atleast some of the things I thought were totally wrong with it... Only to end up having all maxed character levels (I mean all.. disciples of war/magic/land/hand) in a game that only gives remakes of single room monster fights and then remakes of the remakes. At the time they made top level characters to grind monsters that people who have played the game for 10mins are killing I finally caved in and stopped the madness.

Went back to the 'old school... ya ya nothing old schoolish about this compared to I-VI...' versions and began the series were I left it. So I started X-2... Took me a while to get into the game, but was playable. Not my favourite but much better than the last two I tried (XIII and XIV)... battle system was a bit different again from the earlier but still I could atleast control all my characters and actually win the fights myself. So I beat the game and then I beat the new game plus to collect stuff I missed the first run. Was slowly getting the Final Fantasy feeling back (not close to what it was before playing XIII and XIV... but still reminded me a bit why I liked the series)

So onwards I moved to FFXII. First fight started and I shut it down. Figured I might try FFVII: Dirge of Cerberus... luckily I watched youtube video of the gameplay before I had my hopes up... was like a doom/duke/quake... so trashed that idea rightaway... Then I moved my hopes up ahead and figured that there was a new FFXV coming at some point and it might actually be a good reason to get myself ps4. Again to youtube just to see how it's been doom(ed) too. Then just for old times sakes I turned on FFXII and tries few more fights just to see if it would be only little painfull and here I am...

But still over 1000 hours of fun filled game time across prolly 20 years while playing it through from I to well lets make it X-2. So my thanks to Squaresoft/Square Enix for making few of the best games I've ever played...

- Huge Fan of Final Fantasy -

Welcome to the forums! :hiya:

I wouldn't say farewell to the series just yet. FF has hit a valley, no doubt, but it can still be recovered. Type-0, for example, is one of the best FF games made in the last ten years, and now it is finally hitting the west on PS4/Xbox One. FFXV won't be FF as we know it, but it pulls from Kingdom Hearts for its battle system so it could still be great in its own right even if it isn't exactly the same Final Fantasy we already know and love.

Also, I have to say, my original experience with FFXII went much like yours. I didn't stick with it long at all. But then I went back later, read the official strategy guide by Brady Games to prepare myself, and gave FFXII another go. It now stands as one of my favorite in the series. I hope you'll be able to enjoy it this time around :)

I've already said goodbye to the series. From somebody who was there since the beginning, playing FF1 on the NES, I feel the series stops at 10. FF11 and FF14 are online only games, and should NEVER have been given numbers. Then there are sequels to games like FFX-2 and FF13-2. And FF13 definitely doesn't feel like a FF game at all. I just, in my mind, say Final Fantasy goes from 1-10 and after that is other games Square put out that are spinoffs or something.

I think XII should be given credit as part of the 'real' series, personally. Its roots lie heavily in FFT, which is definitely from the golden age of FF, and even though the battle system had no transitions and allowed you to walk around the actual combat was very much classic FF, as was the atmosphere and exploration. XII is, in my mind, the best proof we have that Square Enix is capable of making a true FF game. I guess now Bravely Default could be considered the same, except it is intentionally a spinoff.

As you are pessimistic XD
Don't exist the "true Final Fantasy" and the series isn't died, otherwise Final Fantasy is died with FF1...

However, Final Fantasy is a series of game that don't have a connection with one another, than "Did not you like the new Final Fantasy?", the next probably you'll love it, and this is fantastic!

Instead of using wits and beating tough opponents to get your hands on the best weapons you needed to buy those from shops (well atleast as I understood I couldn't torture myself enough to check it) and only reasonably fast way to get the gil was to beat some freaking elephants with death spell and hope for a lucky gil worthy drop.

This system is more realistic, questionable, but it isn't so terrible (imo), furthermore FF8 have a similiar system of the money

FF11 and FF14 are online only games, and should NEVER have been given numbers

Why? They have a story like other FF, they have the reference and "Easter Egg" to other final fantasy, the only different is that is online, but in this game you save the world with your friends, what could be better? Probably this is the real spirits of this series, in fact FF11 is been proposed by Sakaguchi (director of FF1-2-3-4-5), creator of FF...

Then there are sequels to games like FFX-2 and FF13-2.

This sequels are been necessary, in fact FFX-2 is been made during the financial crisis of 2001, caused by FFThe Spirits Within and FF13-2 is been made during the financial crisis of 2011, caused by the first version of FFXIV, however the first sequel of a Final Fantasy game is "Final Fantasy the legend of the crystals" ;)

battle system was a bit different again from the earlier

Final Fantasy X-2 have the ATB and Job System, probably its combat system is more similar to the earlier ff compared to FF7 (for exemple) :D

Final Fantasy XII gets far too much flack. Sure it can get a bit tedious and some of the characters could definitely be improved but overall it is a pretty good game and a decent entry to the series. Like a lot of people I feel as if FF X was the last great FF game, with only XII being a worthy addition, until the main series loses it. Even then i'm tempted to stick X with the rest of the post-merger entries with IX being the last truly great entry. X-2 was ok in parts but overall quite disappointing. XI was an online game so to me it doesn't quite fit with the main series as does XIV. The less said about XIII the better even though I did enjoy XIII-2 somewhat but probably more because of the improvement over the original XIII. I haven't played XIII-III: Lightning Returns, yet, but I don't have much will to rush to it.

I've recently been re-playing the series from the very first entry on the NES onwards. So far have reached half way through V and part of the way through VI. Its amazing how each subsequent entry back then improved over the previous in almost every way. I hold this feeling up to around VIII and IX where they become pretty equal overall but each are better or worse with certain elements. Its not until X where certain elements seemed rushed and beyond that the disappointment really comes in.

I hope Square Enix moves the series away from the direction they have been going over the past decade and return to a more traditional (I-X) Final Fantasy, incorporating some newer elements that work better than, say, that fucking Crystarium bullshit. I'm not going to get too excited for FF XV.

I agree with the sentiment that the good FFs ended with X - meaning that when Square merged with Enix the feel and quality of the games took on a different dimension that was just not made of the same stuff as the older titles. Nevertheless I still enjoyed XII and XIII in their own way, they too had their moments and I keep them in my collection. But this sequel nonsense is what really started ticking me off, starting with X-2 and culminating in the circus that is the Lightning trilogy, and the charred husk that remains of FFVII's original storyline after the Compilation.

For me FFXV will decide whether I continue playing FF. I have watched some trailers and I sincerely hope the characters are more interesting than they look. I found Terra's 16-bit sprite more compelling than their design despite the beautiful graphics. All I can say is I miss Amano as far as that is concerned.

I don't think you played FFXII, that game is fantastic. And all I've ever done is watch it. I, too, disliked the game up until last year or so. I thought it was bland and boring, but after watching it and paying attention I realized it's easily one of the best FF titles out there. So just because FFXIII-2 sucked and just because Square wastes a lot of time with pointless side-games doesn't mean the company is dead yet, they could still save themselves with 15.

But this sequel nonsense is what really started ticking me off, starting with X-2 and culminating in the circus that is the Lightning trilogy, and the charred husk that remains of FFVII's original storyline after the Compilation.

^ YES. I agree.

I used to think that I give up, or maybe I should give up, but honestly Final Fantasy is what keeps me interested in video games. It's what made me become interested in video games. It's my favorite, so much so that even my brothers and friends know it. So, as long as it's alive, I will probably never give up my hopes that what used to be will come back. I will always be watching to see if they can do it again, even when it goes cold.

the last truly fantastic ff was 9 in my opinion. 10 the story was too short, lacked depth and the side quests were incredibly shallow and most of the game is a grind fest really and not in a good way. plus the idea of breaking 9999 as the maximum damage was a silly one really, akin to turning the amp up to 11. so you can do much more damage but the enemies have 100 x more hp than the bosses in previous games. they could have made bosses where some sort of tactic and knowledge of the enemy was required.
ff 6,7,8 and 9 were the golden age for me. and my my what a golden age it was.

As a whole, I believe the Final Fantasy franchise has done really well. Why else would it have lasted this long if it wasn't all that good? Everyone will had different and sometimes, opposing opinions. So what? Sometimes the game isn't as good or what you would have expected. Okay? I admit there was some really great games! Almost all of the games I played, I liked. Yes, there was a few titles that weren't as good as the others, but there were some things I did like. I know you have your opinion, but I'm an optimistic person. I don't want to throw out my whole bag of apples because one was rotten. The bag, as a whole, is still good! Why would you even want to throw it out? Think about the cost of those apples. :wacky:

It's honestly more like eating the good ones and throwing away the few rotten apples, and then refusing to buy any more from the same supplier in future to avoid their rotten ones entirely.

/ pedantic

Back