Build-A-Member
Chocobo Egg
Terra
Yuna
FFXIV
Ellia Lombardia
FFXIV Server
Lamia
With the news that Episode Noctis will feature an alternate ending people are wondering if it is going to be a happy ending compared to the very dark ending Final Fantasy XV currently has. Will Luna and Noctis finally meet and spend time with eachother? We will have to see what Square Enix has in mind with Episode Luna and Episode Noctis. However, I wanted to hear what people think of the painting released yesterday by Square Enix of the bros happy together and.... Luna and Noctis have kids.

2q00rv5.jpg

Do you think this painting depicts the Alternate ending we will get in Episode Noctis? Do you think it's just something Noctis is thinking about? Why is Ardyn happy? Is this ending going to be canon? Hah, all these questions will have to be answered in 2019 but I thought i'd make a thread for discussion.

It probably will - and should be - a non-canonical ending. These happy endings, including that strange non-canon portion of Episode Ignis, fundamentally go against the one thematic motif that courses through the entirety of FFXV's narrative: that of sacrifice. You can't bang on constantly about the Chosen King having this cursed destiny to make the final sacrifice for the Light and then walk back on it with an overly sappy, saccharine ending where consequences are inexplicably ignored. This all sounds like a response to plentiful fan demand as opposed to being part of a genuine narrative vision by the writing team.

If you ask me, alternative endings are a waste of time and effort. I'm looking at the barebones Niflheim continent and I'm imagining the potential it could have if they were to genuinely pour resources into fleshing it out. Neglected locations such as Tenebrae and Gralea are crying out for some love and attention and I suspect Square Enix are more content with delegating the honours to the modding community instead.

I'm not a big fan of the idea of an alternate ending...

Final Fantasy isn't really known for having alternate histories or anything like that without establishing it in the lore first.

I guess the dogs could have something to do with this...

As for Ardyn living happily with King Noctis and Queen Lunafreya and their kids? I can't imagine why Ardyn would give up on his spiteful quest for revenge against the Lucis bloodline. Becoming a sort of uncle figure for the next generation of Lucians seems very out of character.

That said, I'd still be interested in seeing what they do. I'm more interested in the other DLC chapters though.

As much as I love What-If scenarios, I think that Episode Noctis is a lousy idea, and the alternate ending from Episode Ignis was enough. I would have much rather had an Episode Ravus. That man deserves to have his story told.

I'm actually not too sure about this idea either. I enjoyed FFXV as it was - even if it wasn't the happiest of endings I thought it was fitting for the story. I don’t see how they could implement an alternate ending without changing key aspects of the plot.

I agree with what others have said - there were so many other locations and characters that could have been expanded on further. I would prefer this over an alternate ending.

Another alternate ending? I'm not sure - I am a huge fan of happy endings (I was a bit emotional at FFXVs ending, because although it was in essence sad, it was also happy because they were reunited).
I thought the alternate ending episode Ignis gave us was enough - like, if you want an ending where he lived without changing TOO much of the storyline, that was it. I still preferred the original one for the soppy 'reunion' reason I mentioned just above!!
But any other ending where everyone lives happily ever after is going to be seriously altering the plot. I hope that isn't what Episode Noctis turns out to be.

Back