Build-A-Member
Accessory (Head)
FFXIV
Polyphemos Bromios
FFXIV Server
Moogle
Free Company
KupoCon
Now that the outbreak of COVID-19 is escalating rapidly, I figured I'd ask if people here have been affected by it. A large number of concerts, sports events and conventions have been cancelled and many people are being asked to work from home to avoid it.

Has it affected you at work? Are you having to work from home? Have any events you'd booked to attend been cancelled? Are your social plans impacted?
Anyone self-isolating? Or is it so far not affecting you at all?

That's assuming (and hoping) we're all free of the virus itself.

My old college started giving an extra week for spring break due to the virus, since I have an alumnis e-mail it popped up on my news feed, also since still a member of the one clubs facebook page.

I thought the toilet paper stuff was all memes and overreactions from other parts of the world... I’ll admit I’ve been a bit distracted (ignorant) the last few weeks but I was still really surprised when the shelves were just empty today. Our weekly shopping trips are always on Thursday nights because they’re not that busy... but tonight people were out shopping like they were preparing for a winter storm. But in this case it was more of a shit storm :hmmm:

I had plans this month to do a Pokémon Go event and was going to make a weekend trip out of town around it. Got canceled just this last week ☹️ Thankfully hotel was accommodating and reimbursed us.

I was actually sick with a mild cold over the weekend just after my kid caught something. I think it was also just a bit of a coincidence but I’m glad we got over it very quickly. My husband, however, has plans to go out of town this upcoming Monday for work and we’re wondering if things might possibly get canceled. I jokingly said that with his luck he’d get out there and get stuck.

🦠

Self isolated until further notice, I'm at very high risk to pre-existing multiple issues including severe pneumo background.
Here in France we have around 3.000 cases and they start to take stronger actions.

My biggest problem is that I work in retail for one of my jobs & I really don't want to go in today... just the thought of being stuck in a public place like that for 9 hours is very unappealing with all this going on. I was kind of hoping to hear a similar situation to Italy in the sense of starting up a lock down but no.

I've spent a fair bit more on supplies as of late, just trying to think of things I would need & want should/when a lockdown occurs. I bought some shopping yesterday from a main supermarket and as soon as I got back i emptied my bags and went to my local corner store to pick-up more - I don't have a care so I can only carry so much :P I haven't bought the excess you see people do online but trying to focus on things which will last a month or two even.

I'm also vigilant on using hand sanitizer using it everytime I have to touch a door or use disposable tissues. I'll be wearing gloves for certain today.

May just be a badly timed cold or cough or something but right now I'm preparing to self isolate until it's cleared up entirely. Was advised to contact the health line today and I did, so just waiting to see what advice they'll give me regarding whether or not I'll have to get tested for it.

😬

I've had a very bad throat and cough for the past couple of days, but I took my temperature and I appear to be normal. I've been going out to work as normal because I took the normal temperature to be an indication that I'm not going to have it, but I'm reading conflicting advice about that now.
There are a lot of people (myself included and hopefully you too) who likely have badly timed colds or regular flu at the moment, but it is very difficult to know what to do for the best. I'm avoiding going out where I can (to be honest I don't just go out for the sake of it anyway) and to minimise contact with people.

Self isolated until further notice, I'm at very high risk to pre-existing multiple issues including severe pneumo background.
Here in France we have around 3.000 cases and they start to take stronger actions.

I wish you the best. Keep safe. :sad2:

It's probably inevitable that my workplace is going to shut at some point or another, the only question is which members of staff will be going in whilst it is shut.

I work in the accounts department at a hotel, so with people coming in from around the country and abroad (pre-lockdown) we are naturally at higher risk of infection. The virus doesn't necessarily have to be onsite either; if we can't get our linen laundered from a commercial laundry company in Newcastle, we can't sell rooms - so if we have an issue somewhere along the chain, it could close us for a time.

The reception, food and beverage, spa, culinary and housekeeping teams would, I suspect, certainly be told not to come in as there's no reason for them to be there if we have no guests. However, it could be argued the maintenance, landscaping, accounts and possibly HR teams could still function. It all depends really what the management company believe is best, insurance policies and risk assessments. Ironically, as I live with my elderly grandparents, unless my fiancee and I get our house before COVID-19 hits its peak, it would actually be better for me to be at work rather than self-isolate at home.

The annoying part of the virus is that the panic buyers have now caused issues. It has forced 'normal' people to stock up on items which they normally wouldn't, which in turn makes exceptionally difficult to buy basics such as toilet roll. My grandma tends to only do shopping every Thursday so it likely means I'll have to try and grab these sorts of items as and when possible. :eyeroll:

Fortunately, I start work at 07:00am and Co-op opens at 06:00am so I can probably grab some as it gets stocked (the good thing about living near a town of 10k is that very few people are up when I'm going to work).

Here in France today we jumped from 3 800 to 5 000 cases. Government has activated our level 3 of epidemic plan (max level) closing all non essential public areas and shops in the whole country until further notice and stay at home strong recommendations.
But still tomorrow is local elections day in the whole country...Not sure this is a good idea but...let's see what'll happen.

This whole thing is such a pain in the sack, but overall, not much different for me.

They moved up spring break from April to this coming week for my daughters school, so she'll be out for the week.

My wife is lucky enough to get to work from home for a couple of weeks. As for me, my company does some work for national defense, so it takes an actual apocalypse to have it close, essential and all. I wish they would close and pay us for the time out without cutting into our vacation time, that would be a huge positive.

The grocery stores are gutted for some items. We have plenty of the aforementioned toilet paper, so even though the shelves were empty, that's not an issue for us. But damnit, the meat is all gone. I go to get some chicken and the only thing they have is gizzards, no thanks.

And of course, the biggest annoyance, squashing the NHL season. My team has the best record in hockey and a legit chance to bring home Lord Stanley's Cup, and now it might be gone? Fail. The NBA decided to massively overreact because a player tested positive, setting the standard for the other leagues to follow suit. Awful.

Here many people are continuing to laugh about the virus, to be selfish and to not listen the recommandations.
France is going to sink hard if they continue this way...

Only way this far is that i can’t follow Nhl, F1, ski sports on tv i have no ”work avility” due to a serious accident so i usually watch sports now and then i go to the movies, and now one of the bigger movies is posponed that is the new 007 movie i was looking forward to see it now i don’t know when it vomes.
So i am not sick in Corona virus but still affect by it in some ways it is damn shame it hit the world as it messes up so much not just those who are sick but still in many ways😢😢

Within the last few days my state has initiated a few things..

They said that all schools within the state close down until March 30th (or rather, until further notice) and I suppose they are pushing things so that the kids can finish via the internet.

Toll ways are kinda shut down - the people aren't working the booths so they are pushing for online payment or I-pass.

Today they announced that all dine-in restaurants and bars also be closed down, but for now carry-out and delivery are still optional. Which is good for local businesses at least.

Supposedly cases keep going up. My county officially has their first reported case today. We're at 93 known cases in my state, but we were under 50 just the other day, so it's nearly doubled overnight.

Finally got some toilet paper from an aunt of ours. Should be fine since it will just be myself and my kiddo for the next two weeks but we'll see. It's just kinda crazy how quickly things are changing within a short amount of time. My biggest concern is my husband again since he will be flying out of state tomorrow morning. The hassle of getting him home prematurely is a bit of a concern but I may just be blowing it out of proportion. The opportunity he has right now is really good in terms of money but you gotta put your priorities in order of course.

I realize though that this is nothing compared to what you (and of course others) are going through Duhemsounds - I hope you're holding out okay and staying safe.

Thanks for your kind words Dagger :)

Today numbers here are 5000+ cases for 127 deaths with a fast growing infection curve and a beginning of significant increase in deaths.
We are approaching from a total lockdown as people are acting irresponsibly and taking no count of the advices given.

On my side I'm at total quarantine until further notice with my parents, all visits from friends and family banned. We are all in the very high risks category so we try to avoid the virus.

I'm trying to use this extra time for my music projects which are actually the only good thing of that year.

This is definitely a serious situation. I feel like something is really odd about it all though. The media keeps telling us we're going to die. Boris keeps telling us we should stay inside and away from social situations while he's surrounded by people (try a webcam interview?). The one death in my area was mentioned on the news, with no stats about this person's age or medical situation. It all feels...hidden and odd?

It hasn't affected me in the slightest so far, other than the media causing people to panic, which should be the opposite of what the government wants.

Hello, things are moving quickly here in France.

President made a long speech at 8pm and interior security minister gave a complement of informations.

France is now at war against covid-19. He said that 6 times in 2 minutes.
Total lockdown for at least 15 days with strong restrictions of moves. One that need to go out will have to present a certification or will get a fine.
100 000 units of police helped by the military sentinel force to secure the country and watch for the quarantine respect.
Fixed control points.
300 billions € to secure all debts from corporations to the banks. Water/Electricity bills and rents suspended.
All reforms in progress are suspended until further notice. Especially the big boiling one about retirement rights and the one about unemployed people rights restrictions.
Parliament to unite and vote as soon as possible extraordinary law to allow direct action to the President and government for everything in relation with that epidemic crisis.
Many other economic helps to ensure no bankrupt for corporations and workers.
Reinforcement of help for medical workers, military outdoor hospital in the most epidemic area.
All borders closed. All flights coming from outside European Union banned for 30 days.

All this is starting at lunch time which is now in a bit more than 12 hours.
They make take additional action anytime and President will come back often to update.

It’s getting crazier every day.

I’m now home until further notice. Work is closing for the foreseeable future.

Also my sister’s husband’s business relies on trade with China and they’ve just lost out on an important deal, so they’re struggling a great deal due to this. My sister’s husband had to fire people (including a family friend who had only just started there) and it was beyond his control as the order came from above. His own job might be on the line and my sister is worried she might lose her house and all sorts if things go bad.

My nephew’s first birthday party will have to be cancelled, but I guess he’s a little baby so he’s not going to know any better or know what he’s missed out on. My sister is upset though.

Not sure if my cousin’s wedding is going to go ahead next month anymore either. Or if it does, whether anyone will be able to actually attend…

But that’s nothing compared to people suffering from the virus itself or with health issues worried about getting it. I hope everyone remains safe.

We still have each other here though, right? Now more than ever if anyone wants to chat about anything, I'm just on the other side of your screens. We can always help each other feel a little bit less lonely and isolated.

The situation in some countries is really frightening, in France at least, we have the chance to have high social and economic protections. Hope they will give some help in your countries.

The virus is dangerous for health but leaving people jobless / homeless is not that much better :(

For now the problem here is that people are still having some bad behavior on the quarantine and adding more epidemic breaches.
We may have to send the army, reinforce and extend the total lockdown time.

On my side I'm at total quarantine until further notice with my parents, all visits from friends and family banned. We are all in the very high risks category so we try to avoid the virus.

Stay safe, Duhem; thoughts with you and your family at this time.

Unfortunately, we are probably going to have a Lombardy-esque emergency here before people understand the seriousness of the situation. I live near and work in a town which is a huge tourist destination and this year voted as the United Kingdom's number one 'staycation' spot for 2019, which, as you can imagine, means we attract a lot of visitors. The locals are, for the most part, self-isolating and at the very least committing to social distancing, but today the town had hundreds of visitors that don't seem to realise the current pandemic and social distancing does not mean an extended national holiday.

It hasn't been announced yet, but I think the hotel I work for is due to close as of Monday - no redundancies to any of our 130+ employees as far as I'm aware. We closed our spa last week due to one-to-one contact and the restaurant / bar were shut down by the government yesterday. Until yesterday, it has been a serious issue in this town about closing businesses - we have a LOT of small, independent businesses that couldn't close because of the uncertainty the current government have caused with their lack of action. Chancellor Rishi Sunak speaks very well, but the employee retainment scheme and 80% wage subsidy should have been the first economic policy to be announced along with the 330 billion loan package. This should have been announced at the beginning of last week at the latest; people will naturally turn up to work, sick or not, if they think they won't get paid, or lose their jobs, if they take time off.

I suspect the lockdown will commence, or start to commence, from next week. The NHS is already at breaking point because of austerity measures imposed over the last ten years and we are about two / three weeks behind Italy - with exactly the same trajectory - and only a couple of percent behind Italy in terms of an ageing population.

Hope you will all be safe

800 deaths in a single day in Italy :(
Their situation is terrible, in France people are keeping acting like 'it's a normal week-end' despite confinement. We may end like in Italy. Some regions are already at the red line and multiple military procedures have been activated to add a few reanimation spots but the biggest part of the epidemic is still in front of us.

Germany has taken a lot of time before starting confinement. US and UK are also going bad. Looks like it will be worse than expected in many countries :(

Back