Article: FFXV E3 trailer; VR Experience demo included in the game; play as Prompto

Linnaete

sus
Staff member
Editorial Staff
Veteran
Gil
Andre the Adamantoise
Chocobo Egg
Accessory (Head)
Accessory (Arms)
Build-A-Member
Chocobo Egg
FFXIV
Aoife Linnaete
FFXIV Server
Lamia
Free Company
None
[14/06] FFXV VR Experience Demo and trailer: you play as Prompto

cjqxhl5uyaaxpd3.jpg-o0wr0g.jpg

Unexpectedly popping up in the middle of the Sony E3 conference's VR segment is the announcement and trailer for a Final Fantasy XV VR Experience. VR enthusiasts will be playing as Prompto for these special VR sections. Prompto of all people.

To be able to play the VR Experience, you will need a PlayStation VR, which will release in October of this year.

Nova Crystallis

Here is the ACTUAL E3 trailer in full, complete with terrible music.

The VR seems so clunky and unnecessary! :ffs: time invested in that which could've been spent on something else the game is probably lacking, I imagine.

At least they didn't show us the cat-cam again.... I mean that would be a VR experience that they could have shown us as a joke just to hint that they are providing it.

Instead it looks like they've gone for a Prompto first-person-shooter style VR experience. I guess I can see that it works.

I'm not yet sold on the idea of VR for absolutely everything though. Some games would work really well in VR, but I'm not convinced yet that every game should have a VR mode.

Apparently the VR demo isn't even a real product (or part of the actual game) yet. They were screwing around spending R&D money on this and all they have shown is some wonky and underwhelming 1st person shooting at a Behemoth that may as well have been fired from a water gun. And a cruise with Cindy along with plenty of opportunities to ogle at her, because what else is the character good for.

So as of now I have no clue what the point of that was. Much like nearly everything else Square have shown for the game this week.

Here is the ACTUAL E3 trailer in full, complete with terrible music.

Nice footage. Terrible music reminiscent of AMV Youtube mixes. Throwing in the misplaced Florence and the Machine cover is making me quake in my boots in regards to the PR music direction.

The darker tone of Versus truly is gone and I can't feel the same foreboding of the meaning of death in this game.

Alas.

The darker tone of Versus truly is gone and I can't feel the same foreboding of the meaning of death in this game.

Alas.
How do you know the darker ton of Versus is truly gone? Really the only differences is that we know now the game is taking on more themes, because it's a bigger project, and that it won't be M rated as Versus XIII may have been. We'll still see blood, be able to cut off limbs, and etc. Death was never a theme of FFXV, despite being part of it.

Perhaps, it is all in my mind, but I do feel a small change in overall tone. The encounter with Stella at the party was about being able to see the mysterious light. The fight between Stella and Noctis was by fate and not choice, which could have led to either dying. It was supposed to be based on reality and was as real as it could get with Shakespeare's quotes. It is what it is now, but I feel I could have taken this trailer in specifically more seriously with Shimomora's music. Graphically, still beautiful. Battle system choices, great. Trailers have been so so. ATB reports, haven't paid much attention since " Please be excited." (I'm not a naysayer, I did buy a PS3 for that game...)

One of the game's themes is still reality. Perhaps when Nomura was still over the project, he was able to show off other themes of the game easier. Square Enix France recently took the Afrojack music track and used different music for it:
https://www.facebook.com/SquareEnixFrance/videos/vb.371439107220/10154163877552221/?type=2&theater

Also, this link highlights some of the choices that were made while Nomura was still director of the title:
https://www.unseen64.net/2014/11/19/final-fantasy-xv-ps3-versus-xiii-cancelled/

Thanks! Really great article outlining the development. I'm still hesitant with Tabata being the director, since he has been in charge of side games exclusively. I have yet to play any of his games, but I'm HOPING he's better than Motomu Toriyama. Nomura really shot himself in the foot with being in charge of Fabula Nova Crystallis and following up KH universe after II. Instead we received a bunch of filler games and a watered down FFXIII saga.

As far as the reality, I DO feel that the environment is captured much more realistically thanks to the generation upgrade.

Back