Are Looks All That Important?

Looks only mean something the first 2-5 minutes I am looking at someone. I've learned through trial and error not to care about how someone looks.

I mean sure, I have my preferences in a woman, but there are a lot of women in this world that could make me happy that don't match my preferences. Looks only matter during the initial meeting and even then only a small part of that initial meeting. You could meet the sexiest thing alive and one word out their mouth summons the grim reaper to claim your soul. There are so many other things we need to look at when considering someone for friendship, courtship, or anything.

Alas, as a man, I swear I'm geared instinctively to only actively look for my type, which in itself is some sort of wicked hypocritical paradox. :sad3:

depends on who you are, what your standards are, but if your asking based on the question.... It's all about perception of the brain and the idea behind the visual representation and beyond. Now another way to examine this is; Most guys want the hottest "chick", girls are the same they prefer tight abs, and confidence with muscles and such, however if you really dig into this subject, its about personality, chemistry and conversation. On the other hand, if you are a 3 and your trying to attract a 8, no chance, but if 8 doesn't care about looks, then sure. If your a 5 and you want a 10, if you best your build of confidence, best your maturity, how you handle yourself knowing all the words to say, and react the correct way, plus maybe having the decency to carry yourself properly and present a attitude that has positivity and charisma, then sure looks aren't everything. So many different views on this... personally looks matter but it depends, on who they are how they act, where they are going, all sorts of things.

Yes, appearance is important. No matter what some want to believe, women of all sizes are neither necessarily healthy nor treat their bodies with respect. There's a fine line between being skinny to the bones and being healthy, and another fine line between having meat and being fat. Same with men and why I've been shaping up (I've lost a net amount of probably 100lbs of fat in the past two years and still have some time to go). Even personality-wise - I mean, I've heard all these claims about how personality or the sort can make up for fat and/or ugly women (take your pick), but that I've found largely to be false.

You can answer this question one of two ways. Long term or short term, first attraction or first personality? Your first response of your body is you are always attracted by a certain look of a person. Whether it's the hipster, smart look where the fella wears glasses, girl jeans, and talks about stuff found on Dr. Google. The lady who wears very provocative clothes to invite whatever man is allured by it. You always have a few types of people you like in the terms of looks.

Looks are never permanent in the terms of a relationship though. They either fade, or become boring without change. So if you are talking about a date, short term, I insist most people are in it for the looks. Long term, without prejudice, you start to find what is truly inside your other person. At that point, you either choose to like/love that person more or be completely out of balance and socially are not fit to be among one another. That is the short and skinny.

I'd be lying if I said looks didn't matter. Do they make up everything about a person and if I'd date them? Absolutely not. But if I'm not attracted to her whatsoever then nothing will happen with a relationship.
Looks and personality go hand in hand. She can't be all looks. A woman could be the most gorgeous woman out there, but if inside she has an ugly personality then I'm done. My dream woman is beautiful inside as well as out. We have to click, we have to connect, and we have to have chemistry. A woman has to be confident, caring, funny, smart, and not afraid to be herself. What's beautiful to me though is different than what somebody else deems beautiful. A woman that has the look AND the personality? Nothing is more beautiful than that.
What's that saying? "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."?
That's my personal opinion.

Are looks all that important? I guess it really depends. We all have a "type" and for many, even that can vary dramatically. At the core of this topic is the idea that there has to be a spark of attraction in order for a relationship to begin; to this I wholeheartedly agree. However, attraction doesn't always spark because of how a person looks, it could also be either their vibe, mannerisms or the way they act that can draw a person in. Sometimes it is the appearance that ignites the flame, but it's just as likely going to be any other aspect of a person that makes things click.

I'm not talking about core fundamentals or intellectual personality here because that's something that keeps people together and compatible rather than what initially draws them together. Yes, some people just exude their personality; their confidence and easy going air (for example) could definitely be the attracting quality, however, this is more like an energy and presence (vibe) that can be felt on a very human (animal?) level rather than something understood on an intellectual level.

Getting back to the original question, are looks all that important? It depends on the person and of course those they can attract.

Reactions: Shu
Looks are important, but they're just the cover of the book. One still has personality, ideals, intellect, experiences, education, occupation, morals, etc. At the core, consciously or otherwise, we all seek a degree of some (or all) of these traits, and obviously each person has their own type/preference for each.

We're human beings, and more complex than what's typically realized. I'm actually astounded by the number of people that still "judge by cover". Let's reserve judgment until we get a good sense of the "entire book".

Back