Anyone here experience ASMR? (aka Head tingles)

AuronX

aka LukeLC
Veteran
Gil
Edgar's Tent
FFXIV
L'ulech Tia
FFXIV Server
Lamia
Free Company
Gaia
So normally in real life I don't ask people about this, because for whatever reason most people I come across IRL aren't part of the thousands in the world that experience it, but I've had better luck online, so...do any of you here on the FFF experience this head-tingling sensation called ASMR (autonomous sensory meridian response)? I've always had it as far back as I can remember--far enough back that I was still too young to make any judgment on the world because I hadn't experienced enough of it yet to understand the norms. I assumed everyone had it and that was that until just a couple years ago, when I happened across something about it on the internet which said that in fact, not everyone seems to experience it, but on the positive side, those that do have started making Youtube videos to trigger it.

A couple decent articles on this situation for those who may not yet be familiar the term 'ASMR', or have never experienced it: One, Two.

A brief summary would be that when you watch a Youtube video of someone whispering, or making certain sounds (scratching, tapping, etc) you feel a tingling sensation that starts at the back of your head and, depending on the effectiveness of the sounds/motions (called 'triggers' by most ASMR people), this sensation may travel all the way down your spine to your toes, and it makes you feel relaxed and calm.

The science behind why this feeling happens and what it is precisely is sketchy because there's no real reason for medics to spend time studying it, but it is definitely a real thing.

I'm aware that this will sound very weird to anyone who doesn't get it, but I'm curious how many of you around here do get it :)

Hmm.. The description of it sounds like something that does happen to me. Rather often too. I also always thought it was something everybody gets. I've asked my Dad about this and he says he gets it also.

Pretty interesting now knowing that not everybody gets it.

Yeah I experience this from time to time. Actually did so recently...though now I can't recall what triggered it. I know it was some sort of noise though...usually that's what triggers it for me anyway. I usually shudder a bit when it happens too.

Yes I get this :x usually it starts on the back of my head and effects usually one side of my face and goes to my feet. whatever side it effects is completely random. i had no idea it actually needed a trigger though so i must not pay much attention ><

i just thought it did it whenever it felt like it xD

I thought it meant just tingles in general. I do feel tingle sensations if I listen to certain musical tones but it never travels to my toes :hmmm: However, this also happens just randomly. I thought for sure I had a brain tumor or something.

I have those head tingles as well. It usually triggers when someone is writing something in front of me, for me. Dunno why, though, but at times it feels good.

Yeah, I'm weird :x3:

i just realized i get them if i sit in a very certain position >> it just starts in the back of my head like usual but just goes down my body all the way to my toes and nowhere in my face :x

Yeah I get this. Soft spoken teachers used to induce it when I was in primary school haha. I thought everyone got head tingles from time to time.

I don't think the weird sensation I've felt is the same, but sometimes I will get this weird tingling in the back of my head/neck/shoulders that will send a big shudder throughout my body, and then I'll twitch my arms and head and the person next to me will be like "What da fucq just happened?' and I'll be like "I don't know..." :lew: It happens many times when I eat a strawberry.

But by googling ASMR it doesn't look the same, as apparently it is supposed to be pleasurable and meditative, whereas my twitching thing is not very meditative, or pleasurable for that matter.

Back