Aerith or Aeris

Just for the record it's Aeris not Aries, though her name has been officially translated to Aerith people still refer to her as Aeris. Me, I like Aerith because it sounds like earth which is what her name is supposed to mean. Also Cloud1355, you really need to put a little more effort into your posts. One liners in the post count section are classified as spam.

I had no idea it changed by country. I thought she she changed to shred anything that reminded her of Zack....... So to me shes Aeris.

Aerith or Aeris?

Not sure if any of you have noticed this but in the FFVII game and booklet it refers to Aerith as Aeris. My sister told me she's Aeris while i've been calling her Aerith whos right?

I think she's supposed to be Aerith in Japan, but they just "Americanized" her name for the U.S. In Advent Children and Crisis Core, her name goes back to Aerith so that's what I use now. Either that or "Flower Girl" will do just fine :P

The initial North American (and maybe European too?) installment cited her name as Aeris, but it's actually Aerith based on her Japanese name.

I don't even think the "English" countries did it for some type of adaptation (IE "Americanization"). I heard that it was just a misinterpretation or mistranslation in regards to the ending sound of her name.

Personally, I actually prefer "Aeris". Aerith sounds a bit lispy.

Last edited:
Well, I've always called her Aerith. Because my first FFVII run-in was with Kingdom Hearts I. And they called her Aerith, so yea, I've always called her Aerith.

But for some reason, when I played FFVII I called her Aeris sometimes. I never liked calling her "Aeris" it seemed weird.

Even though we know her name is Aerith I still call her Aeris while both are pretty I still call her Aeris simply because IT WAS HER NAME IN THE GAME in my country. But I like them both at this point so for me its kind of a non issue

I call her アエリス.

Aerisu. Or... Aeris. I see no reason to call her anything else.

I've not seen it as "Aeritsu" or anything else like that. So I've a hard time accepting/believing the whole "Aerith" thing.

I've always called her "Aerith" because when they called her Aerith in Kingdom Hearts, I thought that was the correct way to pronounce her name. Personally, I prefer to call her "Aerith" than "Aeris" because it sounds more feminine and pretty. I think it suits her more IMO.

Aerith.
Aries sounds weird. I actually don't recall why she has two different names but I always prefered Aerith. Isn't Aries her defualt name in VII? I actually have no idea but nonetheless, I just like Arieth more. Aries with the "s" I like the "th" better. idk, suits her more imo.

I can her Aerith because it has been her name in all games in which her name has been spoken. It also sounds closer to Earth which is the meaning of her name and the fact that the japanese use 'su' for 'th' sounds so it makes sense to me that it is Aerith.
The mistranslation of her name is actually quite amusing because it has brought all this debate.

I call her aeris. I dont like the name aerith as much as the name aeris. I call her that because that was the way her name was when she first appeared, i never knew why it changed.

It's all about Aeris. I have always called her that, even though I had a friend who used to change her name to Aerith and adamantly swear that it was correct. I guess it is correct, but when my version of the original FFVII (remakes, sequels and spin-offs aside) defaults her name as Aeris, I will always call her that, and see no reason to change it to Aerith or anything.

I change Red XIII's name to Nanaki every time though.

I guess it is technically supposed to be Aerith. But I use which ever spelling I feel like when I have to write her name.

It doesn't matter too much, as we all know who we are talking about.

Well I was watching the documentry on the 2nd disc of Advent Children The making Of And in the subtitles it translates the Japanese into english and whenever they say Aeris. It comes up as Aerith in the subtitles. :/ Confussled.

HER NAME IS AERIS.

BEFORE KINGDOM HEARTS, CRISIS CORE, SHE WAS AERIS IN FFVII.

I have called her Aeris since 5th grade, I watched her die as Aeris in 5th grade, and I damn well still call her Aeris even when she's mingling with Disney folk.

Actually, she was Aerith in FFVII in Japan (where the game originated from). It was only changed to Aeris in America due to a mistranslation. It's no coincidence that SE decided to call her Aerith in every English spin-off from then on.

Back