Adamantoise were REAL?!!!

LovingOfLightning

Blue Mage
Gil
Well thankfully not as large as the games or human existence would have been at a slower pace trying to cause their extinction!
Size of a Car but is that impressive given vehicles are getting smaller?
"Would have been eight foot long" and a wow... If you find any other bits of news about this, even the picture of complete as best skeleton compared to a human, you've got a thread for it!

It depends. Was it the size of a 1950's car (which would be approximately the size of a boat) or a now car? Either way, that's one big turtle. But also, they were hunted by forty foot crocodiles so.... I'm glad turtles and crocodiles have gotten considerably smaller in the last 13 million years.

Gonna go ahead and bump this on over to the Final Fantasy General section since it seems more appropriate there than the Pandemonium section *boop*

This thread kinda reminded me of Dionysos' Hairy Crocodile thread a little bit :D Actually a lot of Final Fantasy monsters seem to have been drawn from a lot of different kinds of prehistoric beasts. If 40 foot crocs were eating these guys though I can only imagine how large they actually were. Or how long their lifespan was! I wonder if scientists will also find some Adamantite. :hmm:

That said, is it possible the Midgar Zolom was actually a Titanaboa? :O They supposedly were eating large crocs!

That's really awesome. I knew there were some massive turtles in prehistory, but that one is definitely impressive and you are right it does resemble an adamantoise! :andre:

This reminds me of the fact that there has been an extinct genus of Dicynodont named after Bulbasaur.
https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fshaenamontanari%2Ffiles%2F2017%2F02%2FBulbasaurus1-1200x1032.jpg

Technically it was officially named due to its features when it was described in scientific journals (so that it could be taken seriously), but the people who named it did say that the naming is not entirely coincidental. The name of the type species is even Bulbasaurus phylloxyron (meaning 'razor leaf').

Pretty cool that Bulbasaur actually existed! Sort of... Kinda.

As DaggerTribal says, FF does often draw from prehistoric creatures when creating their monsters. That and mythology, popular culture and other inspirations. The Midgar Zolom falls under the mythology category as it is an interpretation of Jörmungandr (the Midgard Serpent).

But there are plenty of FF monsters which are explicitly named after extinct prehistoric organisms. I discussed the dinosaur examples in Timber Maniacs issue 2 (pages 16-25).

I have noticed other extinct animals in the franchise such as Miacid, Megalotragus, Sarcosuchus, a number of mammoths and much more. If I ever have time I should like to examine them and compare how they are depicted with the scientifically accepted reconstructions of the real animals.

Back