[25/01] Final Fantasy XIII-2 darker than X-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amizon

Too orsm for you.
Veteran
Gil
Final Fantasy XIII-2 will be a darker tale than Final Fantasy X-2, the last direct Final Fantasy sequel, according to Square Enix comments reported in Dengeki (thanks Siliconera).

Final Fantasy X-2, released around two years after FFX on PS2, followed X's Yuna and her friends Rikku and Paine in more of an action-adventure style than usual, a move that proved intriguing to some but still divisive.

XIII-2 sounds as though it will stick closer to the XIII template in combat terms, although some changes to the battle system will be unveiled later in development.

So far we've seen a picture of FFXIII protagonist Lightning in the new game, although she will be joined by other characters, who won't all be exactly as we remember them. Dengeki also said that the goddess Etro will be a central figure in XIII-2.

Easy mode, from Final Fantasy XIII Ultimate Hits International, may be introduced to the sequel, and Square Enix said it has listened to feedback on the story, interface and characters since Final Fantasy XIII's release last March.

Final Fantasy XIII-2 is due out for PS3 and Xbox 360 in PAL territories this winter.

Source: Eurogamer.net

I think just about every game out there is darker than X-2. Including XIII.

However I think if it's darker than XIII, I wouldn't mind it either. XIII is a bit cheery sometimes due to the environments. And in the parts where XIII tried to act serious, it never really established a proper serious tone.

I found some parts of XIII to be dark, particularly
Vanille and Sazh's chapter when he put a gun to his head at the end.
But I welcome this news. Anything really is darker than X-2. I'm quite intrigued about the part where the characters "who won't all be exactly as we remember them".

That's not saying much. Darker than X-2 is basically any game.
X-2 was by far the worst and laziest game Square ever released, so following that legacy of ridiculous "-2" idea is gonna be hard.

I think basically anything is darker than FFX-2, even Viva Pinata is darker than X-2! Honestly, it's the wrong game to be comparing darkness too. If they're going to do it, at least compare it in terms of FFXIII - which wasn't really dark either.

" I think just about every game out there is darker than X-2. Including XIII.

However I think if it's darker than XIII, I wouldn't mind it either. XIII is a bit cheery sometimes due to the environments. And in the parts where XIII tried to act serious, it never really established a proper serious tone."

-Sol Blade

I 100% agree. It was a game that a played and walked away after beating it without it moving me at all! Due to a component that wasn't stressed enough...the tone!

I thought the quote said "it will be darker than XIII" and "nothing like X-2" ?

perhaps I am wrong?

Edit: went back and checked the leaked thread:
  • The story will be more dark and mysterious than XIII’s.
  • The game will not have the pop feel of Final Fantasy X-2.
So yeah, no point comparing it to X-2 regarding darkness. Anyway all of us know x-2 wasn't 'dark' in the slightest.

I just re-read it again...

Easy mode, from Final Fantasy XIII Ultimate Hits International, may be introduced to the sequel,
Seriously? What the actual fuck? Final Fantasy XIII is by far one of the easiest games I've played this gen, they need to make the game HARDER! :hmph:

A lot of obligatory comparisons between FFXIII-2 and FFX-2 get a bit ridiculous at times just because they're both direct sequels. The new tone that FFX-2 took was just atrocious to experience after what we got from FFX, almost to the point that I refused to acknowledge much of FFX-2 being canon. No one was going to expect FFXIII-2's tone to be on a similar level to FFX-2's anyway. If anything, compare it to FFXIII. That would make a lot more sense.

And I don't remember anyone asking for an Easy mode in either FFXIII or FFXIII-2. FFXIII-2 needs a lot of additions that its predecessor does not have to make it a good game in my opinion. Easy mode is not one of them at all. If anything, perhaps a harder mode would be a better idea. I seriously cannot understand the purpose behind an Easy mode, though perhaps it's accessible to those intimidated by RPGs I suppose, despite the minimalist roleplaying in FFXIII.

Why are they even comparing these 2? That just doesnt make much sense. Also no SE we dont need easy mode. The first game was way too easy till around chapter XI-XII-XIII. Now they want to put easy mode from the international version? Pfft SE. I read these details in the other thread but I dont understand why they would compare X-2 and XIII..

To echo the masses, Final Fantasy X-2 isn't really a game to be comparing another to in terms of darkness. Compare it to X, XIII, VI. Those games with the intense, occasionally dark moments that we can all see a comparison in.

Comparing a dark game to Final Fantasy X-2 is like comparing fire and ice. They're two very different things. I for one enjoyed X-2. I got it on discount sale so I wasn't bothered by the lack of length to the game, and I found the whole battle system insanely fun. I'd quite like them to return to that kind of battle system in XIII-2, but put Paradigm Shifts in place of dressphere controls and let us control everybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back