10 years later, Final Fantasy XIII hits a little too close to home

ffxiii-lightning-strike.jpg

Videogames have played a strangely significant role in my life. By now I'm at the age where it's a little embarrassing to admit, but I firmly believe there's no shame in saying so. Something about the kind of stories videogames are apt to tell has resonated with me on more than one occasion in such a way that shapes my personal journey. Some provide a microcosm for learning new life lessons and skills, while others somehow encapsulate a particular era or phase of personal development, assisting in some much-needed introspection. Maybe they're not even the best of games, but they're the ones that, for whatever reason, manage to stick with me years later.

We're now dangerously close to crossing the 10th birthday of Final Fantasy XIII, which released in Japan on December 17, 2009. Back in the day, it was an infamous case of a game hyped to greater heights than it could possibly reach, but I'm of the opinion that time has been kind to it and the sub-series it spawned--albeit for reasons I doubt the creators even intended.

Say what you will about its many mistakes. One thing Final Fantasy XIII got right was its target audience: millennials. As a millennial myself, I typically hate the term and everything it stands for in the current climate, but bear with me here. No matter your opinion on the game, Final Fantasy XIII's primary protagonist, Lightning Farron, was an undeniable gaming icon in her time. Heck, the entire third game in the series, Lightning Returns, was little more than a Lightning cosplay fest. But while she was known more for her design than her character, both now feel so very 2010 that Final Fantasy XIII as a whole has become an interesting time capsule of millennial struggles and attitudes.

ffxiii-lightning-duodecim.jpg

In 2010, every millennial wanted to be Lightning. Bright, dramatic, although fleeting. That's not her real name, by the way. Her real name is Claire Farron, but she chose the alias Lightning because, well, it seems deep and symbolic somehow. Claire felt the need to grow up, take responsibility, become an adult... and in the process did something--let's face it--a little childish. Sound familiar?

Despite (or rather, because of) her own insecurities, Lightning sees the world in black-and-white. Sanctum Fal'Cie good, Pulse Fal'Cie bad. In the game's universe, Fal'Cie are mysterious supernatural beings that govern the regions of the world. They also have a habit of enslaving anyone who gets too close, physically branding them L'Cie until they complete whatever task is assigned to them--or suffer the consequences. Except, completing the task is hardly winning either, as you'll turn into crystal. It's a lose-lose situation, which makes all L'Cie losers too, right? Lightning certainly thinks so… until she and her companions become L'Cie themselves.

I hope I don't have to draw the real-life parallels here. Coming of age is invariably an experience of fruitlessly resisting adulthood while reality gains greater and greater nuance. Criticize adults all you want, but eventually, you're doomed to become one. Same thing applies to social outcasts. Double whammy, Square Enix!

ffxiii-2-cast.jpg

But it doesn't stop there. In Final Fantasy XIII-2, the story takes a wild twist. Following Lightning's great awakening in the first game, she's now trapped in a battle against chaos itself as it threatens to rip the world apart. It's a battle she never asked for, nor understands why she of all people must fight. It's not even clear if there's a winning option. But it's her battle, and she accepts it with grim resolve.

This game released in 2011, when most millennials were reaching legal adulthood and realizing what a mess we were inheriting--a reality the rest of the world is only just now grappling with today. XIII-2 was hardly an example of great storytelling, but for a personally depressing period of time, it was cathartic. Much of the game followed Lightning's sister Serah, a much softer, more vulnerable character, and a suitable contrast from the harsh world around her. Serah was essentially a victim from the start, being one of the first to get branded a L'Cie in Final Fantasy XIII. Up to that point, unlike Lightning, Serah had no social struggles and was well-positioned for a normal life. Circumstances just had a habit of robbing her of it. Escape, you see, is not as simple as achieving the status quo.

ffxiii-lumina.jpg

Fortunately, there is Lightning Returns. Released in 2013, the game focuses again on Lightning herself and her ongoing struggle to accept her own identity. Literally, that's what the game is about, as she even battles against her own alter-ego taken physical form. There's also some off-the-rails plot about saving the world, but you probably shouldn't think too hard about that. Still, it's impossible not to have some sympathy for the overall message: defiance. Defiance against oneself first and foremost, and the world's self-destruction second. And when Lightning finally succeeds, an entirely new world is opened up to her. (Spoiler alert: it's ours.)

ffxiii-new-world.jpg

You see, for all its pandering to edgy teenagers, Final Fantasy XIII is neither critical nor flattering of them. It empathizes with their struggles, but demands responsibility, even sacrifice in exchange. That sacrifice begins with your own ideas about the world you want to change. Things are never as straightforward as they seem. People different from you may be your greatest allies, while your own kind turn their back at the first sign of open-mindedness, perceiving it as a threat to their narrow worldview. And yet, there may still be enough truth to their "outdated" ideas that ignoring them entirely could be fatal. How is anyone supposed to navigate such a complicated, messy world, let alone make it a better place?

It's not that Final Fantasy XIII is a masterpiece of portraying any of these issues. In fact, sometimes it's downright kludgy. But looking at it now, ten years later, it's impossible not to see my younger self looking back at me. I'd like to think I've grown up a little since then.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a really interesting take!

I hadn’t given any thought before to the relevance of when this game was released in terms of our own lives. That could well have an impact on how much people connect with the game (or indeed any game, to extend this thought). The characters and their journeys could have resonated with particular generations in different ways.

In recent years I’ve been appreciating the character of Lightning a lot more. I had the pleasure of meeting Ali Hillis (Lightning’s VA) at KupoCon in London in September. She gave a really good panel which was quite insightful about the character, how much she means to her, etc.

I didn’t take any footage but someone else did (Amy Lynch):

EDIT:
Also, wow... FFXIII is nearly 10 years old? I feel really, really old all of a sudden.

I had the pleasure of meeting Ali Hillis (Lightning’s VA) at KupoCon in London in September. She gave a really good panel which was quite insightful about the character, how much she means to her, etc.

That's very interesting! Her comments definitely reflect similar ideas to what I've been thinking about. Also interesting that she'd bring up Liara from Mass Effect too, since that's another game that had a very similar place in my life at the time.

Whether you hate the game or not, you have to admit that Final Fantasy XIII is a fantastic gateway game for newer players. It has a quick and speedy battle system, linear so you never lose your place, nice soundtrack, and the game makes sure that you get to know the main cast. There's even a book guide you can read so if you get confused by the story, you can just read up about it and have your questions basically asked. Square Enix said that Final Fantasy XV is a game designed for new and older players alike, XIII is for the newbies.

I think that's why most tweens/ teenagers at the time adored this game more so than the average adult because they were new to Final Fantasy, or it was their opening introduction, or they were an older fan and they just simply enjoyed it because they found it to be fun and that's all that mattered to them.

I used to find this game to be disappointing, but now I think I "get it ", this game is what Final Fantasy VII was to many older players, a start to Final Fantasy. This game even has a Final Fantasy VII feeling to it.

If you wanted to start Final Fantasy back then, XIII was the way to go. Do I still think it's a good start? Eh, Final Fantasy X HD does a better job, I feel, but back in 2010, Final Fantasy XIII was that beginning to FF that many people had.

Hope this makes sense.

Whether you hate the game or not, you have to admit that Final Fantasy XIII is a fantastic gateway game for newer players. It has a quick and speedy battle system, linear so you never lose your place, nice soundtrack, and the game makes sure that you get to know the main cast. There's even a book guide you can read so if you get confused by the story, you can just read up about it and have your questions basically asked. Square Enix said that Final Fantasy XV is a game designed for new and older players alike, XIII is for the newbies.

I think that's why most tweens/ teenagers at the time adored this game more so than the average adult because they were new to Final Fantasy, or it was their opening introduction, or they were an older fan and they just simply enjoyed it because they found it to be fun and that's all that mattered to them.

I used to find this game to be disappointing, but now I think I "get it ", this game is what Final Fantasy VII was to many older players, a start to Final Fantasy. This game even has a Final Fantasy VII feeling to it.

If you wanted to start Final Fantasy back then, XIII was the way to go. Do I still think it's a good start? Eh, Final Fantasy X HD does a better job, I feel, but back in 2010, Final Fantasy XIII was that beginning to FF that many people had.

Hope this makes sense.
I'd argue any HD Final Fantasy was going to do that regardless. The gameplay is so speedy, but for the majority of the game, it was too automatic. You had little to no control.

IF Final Fantasy XIII was good, would we ever have to make this argument?

Here's the darn truth: Every new Final Fantasy is supposed to introduce fans to Final Fantasy. Final Fantasy XV even says it too at the beginning of the game (as a way to save grace from its short comings, but still there).

It's not that Final Fantasy XIII is a masterpiece of portraying any of these issues. In fact, sometimes it's downright kludgy. But looking at it now, ten years later, it's impossible not to see my younger self looking back at me. I'd like to think I've grown up a little since then.

Can you honestly say that is for a fact what Final Fantasy XIII was trying to convey, or are you just reaching? Final Fantasy XIII has always been a disjointed mess. I do agree there is one consistent theme: defying the gods. In FF13 it was the Fal'cie, in FF13-2 it was Chaos, and now in FF13-3.

You see, for all its pandering to edgy teenagers, Final Fantasy XIII is neither critical nor flattering of them. It empathizes with their struggles, but demands responsibility, even sacrifice in exchange. That sacrifice begins with your own ideas about the world you want to change. Things are never as straightforward as they seem. People different from you may be your greatest allies, while your own kind turn their back at the first sign of open-mindedness, perceiving it as a threat to their narrow worldview. And yet, there may still be enough truth to their "outdated" ideas that ignoring them entirely could be fatal. How is anyone supposed to navigate such a complicated, messy world, let alone make it a better place?
I can literally insert any Final Fantasy entry, and it will fit into your statement. I dont think FF13 does it any better than previous entries either.

Last edited:
Funnily enough, as a game I really enjoy the XIII series, I've always said that the combat is some of the most engaging in the series - When you're willing to look past the AUTO-BATTLE Function ,which I never used anyways as it was better to apply your own commands as you could utilise the ATB bars more efficiently. I really like the focus of having to switch paradigms to cater for the tide of battle. the Stagger bar was also a feature which I adored - Hitting that stagger was an immense feeling!

I never noticed the 'Corridor' level design, until after my initial playthrough and everyone started whinging about it. I was so invested in the story which was progressing that I never seemed to mind - Especially after how slowly paced XII's story developed, nothing would happen even reaching new locations!

I think the biggest issue with the series is the ambiguity it had with the games lore, the gods, Fal Cie, L'Cie, etc. it was very messy and poorly explained. Also sometimes when you even saw these gods, they simply had no presence, like when you walk through the Fith Ark (Place Under Palumpolum and see Carbuncle (Not the cuddly version). It's just this abstract glowing orb and I just felt nothing from it. I like the idea of the Fal'Cie having functionality within the worlds ecosystem and such, I just which they had more personality or had people/factions competing to own them or something to make them more engaging in the active plot. A lot of the lore about the gods within the game is told within datalogs and IMO is the weakest aspect of XIII's story telling - it was just poorly presented and was never really written into the active plot of the game. So it's something instead of experiencing you have to research in Datalogs & online...
1576143927117.png
1576143716538.png

I was hoping the sequels would expand upon this, I don't remember XIII-2 doing so very much. As for Lightning Returns, it finally brings Bhunivelze to the forefront at the end, but there's no real connection of personal conflict to make the battle feel impactful. Something XIII-2 DID do right was bring that personality within an antagonist with Ciaus, which was much needed and a delight!

What I did find engaging was the characters (Mostly), I found that despite the ambiguity of the world surrounding them the motivations for the characters were well set and relatable. One of my favourite moments in the entire of Final Fantasy is when Hope confronts Snow and is about to extract revenge, but then is taken out from an enemies explosion - Evening knowing this, Snow still goes out of his way to save Hope as they plummet down into the rubble. I love that scene very much & it teaches Hope how to let go all his seething hatred.

Overall I enjoy the XIII series, I will say that the story as a whole completely goes off the rails by Lightning Returns - Which the concept of acting as a gods deliverer of souls from a dying world onto the next sounds great but should have been used as a separate IP. LR was too do separate from the previous titles and I find it rather jarring - despite enjoying the gameplay aspects and meeting the familiar characters in this future doom impending world.

Funnily enough, as a game I really enjoy the XIII series, I've always said that the combat is some of the most engaging in the series - When you're willing to look past the AUTO-BATTLE Function ,which I never used anyways as it was better to apply your own commands as you could utilise the ATB bars more efficiently. I really like the focus of having to switch paradigms to cater for the tide of battle. the Stagger bar was also a feature which I adored - Hitting that stagger was an immense feeling!
Engaging is subjective. Final Fantasy XIII definitely allows inputs to be placed faster, while also only controlling the entire cast by paradigms. For a lot of people, that was not engaging (including myself).

From the beginning, the game tries to throw you in battles with a party you didn't fully understand. It all seemed pretty pointless in the beginning.No one had any unique traits or provided any real tactical advantage. This was also because in the beginning you had zero to no customization options.

And i know hardcore FF13 fans will always defend it saying it is easy to grasp. But it really isn't. When you have 5-6 attacks flying consecutively, with attack points reaching in the triple, quadruple, and even quintuplet digits, a health bar so thin its nearly impossible to see it go down (when it can just be presented in numbers), and the only way you can truly gauge battles is a very crude ranking system or intentionally play bad or spam a specific attack.

Older Final Fantasies may have been a bit more slower paced, but i argue that even FF4 and onward with ATB, even when you chose one attack, you were nearly ready for the next. They still took turns but every turn made an impact while FF13 is more about every group of attacks or choices.

I personally never really found XIII's combat system difficult to figure out/adjust to. I found it more engaging than many previous FF's because of the leverage of Buffs & De-Buffs you had to maintain. Before even attacking most time in battle I would use Saboteur & Synergist roles to apply all the buffs I wanted then home in with Magic to build the Stagger bar and then apply the normal attacks. Also, I remember the game does want players to learn the importance of the roles. I think one point in Palumpolum where you have to use Snow by himself, it really teaches you the value of the Sentinel role, if you do not use it effectively within that section you will get fried!

I never liked the Rank system, as it was hard to gauge how to get it & infuriating when in the Side-Missions later on you'd have to get a 5-Star rating on every battle. Also, was never a fan of the Party Leaders death ending the battle entirely - Especially when Hope could cast LIFE! & you should have been able to swap the Lead playable character in battle from the get-go - Something XIII-2 fixed I guess.

I still liked the concept of grouping commands, sometimes I would use a Spell then finish the ATB with a few extra attacks, or use different spells to fit the size of the ATB Bar. It's a feature that always made me think of how I can best utilise each bar for the moment - Which I really enjoyed in comparison to a lot of earlier FF games where I'd just spam the most overpowered attack I had - That's never something I felt I could do in XIII, as there was a system of managing you buffs & de-buffs, utilising the right magic to build the Stagger and then letting loose the best attacks upon Stagger. While you could say that method could get thin, I still found the way I had to manage that structure for each encounter offered enough variety to be compelling.

I personally never really found XIII's combat system difficult to figure out/adjust to. I found it more engaging than many previous FF's because of the leverage of Buffs & De-Buffs you had to maintain. Before even attacking most time in battle I would use Saboteur & Synergist roles to apply all the buffs I wanted then home in with Magic to build the Stagger bar and then apply the normal attacks. Also, I remember the game does want players to learn the importance of the roles. I think one point in Palumpolum where you have to use Snow by himself, it really teaches you the value of the Sentinel role, if you do not use it effectively within that section you will get fried!

I never liked the Rank system, as it was hard to gauge how to get it & infuriating when in the Side-Missions later on you'd have to get a 5-Star rating on every battle. Also, was never a fan of the Party Leaders death ending the battle entirely - Especially when Hope could cast LIFE! & you should have been able to swap the Lead playable character in battle from the get-go - Something XIII-2 fixed I guess.

I still liked the concept of grouping commands, sometimes I would use a Spell then finish the ATB with a few extra attacks, or use different spells to fit the size of the ATB Bar. It's a feature that always made me think of how I can best utilise each bar for the moment - Which I really enjoyed in comparison to a lot of earlier FF games where I'd just spam the most overpowered attack I had - That's never something I felt I could do in XIII, as there was a system of managing you buffs & de-buffs, utilising the right magic to build the Stagger and then letting loose the best attacks upon Stagger. While you could say that method could get thin, I still found the way I had to manage that structure for each encounter offered enough variety to be compelling.

The problem is XIII doesn't do a good job at explaining Buffs and De-Buffs because the majority of the earlier battles are easy to beat and with 5 stars. The game doesn't even do a good job at explaining its own paradigms either. The fact that the Final Fantasy wiki has a simpler and easier to grasp description for them already shows how unnecessarily complicated FF13 made their paradigms.

So even if the game wanted me to learn how important the roles were, it actually did a terrible job at explaining the roles the moment you begin playing the game. If the game had an actual tutorial to focus on each paradigm first, it would be different. Or maybe something other than just color change.

For older Final Fantasy, although you could spam your strongest attacks, you would also be punished for doing that in dungeons. You would save your MP-based attacks for the boss battles. The anxiety of using your best attacks before the boss battle was scary at times. You still looked for the right balance of which attacks kill the enemy the fastest while at the same time preserving MP for the next battle. And even then your strongest attacks also took a lot of animation time. So if you're overpowered, you would just use your basic attacks to kill enemies.

I like the concept of grouping attacks too. And many of the older FF games can do that. But very early in the game, most of your attacks don't make that much of an impact. When you can't tell the difference between a regular attack and a blitz. OR Water, and Watera and Wateraga barely make a difference, at least visually.

i'll make a thread on how FF13 could've been so much better.

I wasn’t aware of some of this lore! That’s really useful (and fascinating) information.

Atropos for one is particularly interesting to me, named after the thread-cutting Fate from Greek Mythology. I can’t remember her being used. Maybe in FFXIII-2, though? I honestly need to brush up on that.

I’ve always been fascinated by the ruins which look eerily like 'our world'. You see some on Gran Pulse in FFXIII. At the time I thought they might be the remains of Insomnia in what was then going to be Versus XIII. I assumed some sort of connection between the two games and some of the ruins looked like the square in front of the citadel in Insomnia (as seen in the trailers at the time).

It wasn't though, and I'm not sure if it was ever intended to be. I remain curious as to what all of that meant.

What I did find engaging was the characters (Mostly), I found that despite the ambiguity of the world surrounding them the motivations for the characters were well set and relatable. One of my favourite moments in the entire of Final Fantasy is when Hope confronts Snow and is about to extract revenge, but then is taken out from an enemies explosion - Evening knowing this, Snow still goes out of his way to save Hope as they plummet down into the rubble. I love that scene very much & it teaches Hope how to let go all his seething hatred.

I love this bit too! A lot of people hate both Snow and Hope but I personally find this scene to be quite an iconic one in the franchise. Through their story arc they present how being a 'hero' comes with considerable costs, yet the people need a 'hero' figure. Snow stepped into those shoes and couldn't publicly show weakness otherwise others would lose morale, but deep down he did care.

Back