Writers, what are your inspirations?

IamKazam

The Fireman
Gil
I actually have not really written anything aside from what i am assigned in school, but i love doing it and is something i want to pursue. But anyway.
I have been curious what makes other people's writing mind tick.

Writers: what are your inspirations? What encourages you to write and givies you your ideas?

Here are mine:
Other literature characters or hell, even movie and game characters.
Books in general.
And i think my favorite, music. Seriously, whenever i am thinking of a scene, i listen to music that i think fits the scene, and i try to play the scene in my head while the music is playing.

So, what inspires you?

I write a lot actually. I just usually delete most of what I put to paper. Writing helps me clarify my thoughts or feelings on any particular issue in my life, good or bad. When I'm writing fictitious stuff, it's usually about whatever ideas I had while dreaming. I don't write those ideas down as much as I should. I typically forget things I'd rather remember... not that it'd ever do me any good though.

Music is the key factor to inspire and encourage me to write. It is basically my life and that's where I draw the inspiration to fit everything together.

Well, I'm mostely inspired by other books... but a lot of my stories don't realy have a plot, their just about a fealing or thougts or their trying to reveal the true source of our actions. And inspiration for that comes from everywhere all the time!

I have to agree with the two people above me. Because music can spark such deep emotions, it's often a good source of inspiration. Our emotions are also strongly linked with our memories. A song can remind you of countless numbers of good, bad, mundane, amazing, trivial, bizare, so on and so forth events.

And books. Well, every plot has basically been done already. The tragic love story, dystopian futures and primitive but morally pure pasts, the intriguing mystery filled with twists.. What makes them fresh and new, interesting and inspirational, is the journey: how things are done and the characters that do them. There can be hundreds of books about tragic love, but if the journey is different, people will notice and become inspired. I know I have been.

My friends and myself are my inspiration to writing. I haven't written much to show anyone, but I have bee given many ideas by my own experiences and that of my friends. Sometimes when i feel a certain way, I get a little inspired for certain stories and where to take my characters.

for me its usually music or good plots in books, games and films that inspire me most, I like to approach others on my ideas as well since I had too many of them sometimes and dont want to stick a load of ideas that seemed good at the time onto paper to come out with some inelligible nonsense :p

Definitely music and games. Games were what inspired me to even start writing (fanfiction). Fanfiction is kind of like training wheels for a bike for me, ensuring stability. It already provided the characters and setting, so all I had to provide was the plot.

Now I've moved on to start creating my own characters and different worlds.

Last edited:
What inspires me?

It's hard to explain. I have Role Played on other forums for what seems like an eternity now, and in the beginning it was just the music that was getting me going. But after a while i started to write in favor of what others were writing. I began putting my characters in situations just to see how others would react to it.

Of course, now a days it's just like a switch i can turn on and off. I can sit down, look at the blank post box on a new thread, and go. My mind takes me where it wants me to go and no matter what, it seems, i always come out with something i am really glad i wrote. I always put a little piece of myself in my own writing. If i can connect with it in anyway, i will find it. Of course, music helps a lot, but most of the time i just like sitting in silence, staring at the empty space on my computer with the keyboard in my hands. The thrill of knowing that i can take a story any way i want it to go, the rush that comes from having so much control over every situation i create.... it's just insane to think about.

My inspiration now is just to write. That is my biggest inspiration, over everything else. If i know that i am writing, and i truly feel that i have power over everything i am writing, then i can write no matter what. Once you just let yourself go and put yourself into whatever you are writing (Whether it be a story, an RP, a poem, or even a song) It makes everything flow a whole lot easier. I can't quite explain the feeling, it is beyond words really.

Classical music (pianos and such) and the outdoors inspire me. When I'm writing in my novel, I look up images of the place that inspired my world -- New Zealand.

The mountains there are just beautiful and that alone inspired my fantasy world.

So whenever I need inspiration, I look up landscapes on Deviantart. There are some really good photos there.

Definately music and my past experiences or even future dreams. Everything can inspire me in some way or another. It just depends on what it is that I need the inspiration for. If it's writing then I much prefer to be inspired by those around me and past experiences. I guess it's easier to empathize with that way and easier to understand. Otherwise you are just writing the first thing that pops into you mind.

I've even been inspired by food before =/ But I guess that's just a me thing haha.

my main inspiration's would have to be

the love found in relationships (of all kinds)
the theme of corruption, and purity coinciding with one another
and music has been known to inspire a a few stories of mine.
objects also inspire me, mostly they inspire characters of mine

Music, to me, always tells stories or has a story associated with it. Related to that, I find music allows you to turn your own life experiences into something that would follow the movements that music provides. That probably doesn't make too much sense on paper, but I guess I can walk around and observe my environment - during that time, I could manipulate what I see and how things move in my mind based on whatever is playing through my music player. Turning life into something that would follow music. Something like that. :whistle:

Another big inspiration is life - that is, looking back at my own life experiences, examining the lives of others around me, watching people interact with one another and people reacting to things around them. As much as I follow the news and learn of all the terrible things that occur on our world, there's as much goodness, too - and that juxtaposition that we perpetuate as a species is simply fascinating.

My inspirations as a writer come from life and personal experience, to the sights, sounds, tastes, and smells around me. Stories told by others, film, television, comics, games, novels, art, philosophy, as well as emotions within myself.

My earliest influence and inspiration was the animated film, The Land Before Time. I saw it in the theatre as a very young boy, and went home with a budding passion for films which would grow into a passion for story telling.

One of my main, and earliest inspirations was old school RPG's; mainly, but not exclusively, Squaresoft games. Titles like the first 8 Final Fantasy games (FFT included). Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Xenogears**, Orge Battle, Star Ocean, Tales of Phantasia, the list goes on for about 20+ titles. These stories, characters and worlds, as well as events and themes shaped the foundation of my craft. They'l always be my most important inspirations, even after story telling as we knew it changed forever in 2004.

ABC came out with a little show called Lost in 2004. By far, the greatest story, ever told by man, in any way, shape, or form. The most genius, tantalizing, engrossing, and masterful plot work ever conceived by mortal men. One of the most diverse, ground-breaking and amazing casts ever put together. And a mystery so deep, so profound and convoluted, it will leave you in awe of it's mastery.

By far, my greatest, most influential inspiration as a human being, writer, and story teller.

Other huge inspirations include: Gundam Wing (series & Film), The Sopranos, thousands of films from the dawn of cinema to present day, history and historical characters and events (Alexander The Great, Greek Mythology, etc.), comics and super heroes from my childhood (Wolverine, Batman, Punisher), as well as my 29 years on this earth, living out a crazy, sometimes chaotic, but rich and rewarding life. I try to use everything as a muse any way I can. You'd be surprised at how much of my work is inspired by my own life, or the lives/stories of others. But I usually keep it to 1 character with influences from myself, per story.

In short, everything, but primarily, Lost, Squaresoft, and movies.

Used to be dark stuff, like nightmares, serial killings and killers, murders in my early works.
Nowadays it's more fantasy driven and got a lot to do with my heritage and seasons.

Science fiction also plays a part.

Music helps builds these foundations, at least for me.

Back