Fusionist

Obnoxious Romantic
Veteran
Gil
FFXIV
Eldeen Modestine
FFXIV Server
Shiva
I've played FFX about 3-4 times by now, and I'm still struggling to understand where all this hate is coming towards Tidus. I've seen negative comments towards him, mostly saying "he's annoying", but I just don't see it.

How is he annoying? And what about him is so annoying that he's a character worth hating o_O

Yeah, he's one of my fave FF characters, but I know he's not perfect, however I don't understand all the hate >_>

So he has a daddy complex. Okay, whatever; most of the past main characters in Final Fantasy had some complex/issue. I don't see as many negative comments about them, so what is it then?

Shed some light for me please! :gasp:

Maybe it's because he doesn't have gravity defying hair or an overcompensating sword? Or maybe people are taking the dreadfulness of his voice actor out on him as a character? For me personally, Tidus' conflict with his father was not very convincing, I just didn't think Jecht was all that bad, so that area of his development was kinda lost on me. I did find him a little irritating, overly energetic and a little dumb. The romantic aspect of his development also failed for me, I just didn't like their relationship. Bland. Bland. Bland.

Despite that I don't understand the hate either. He just isn't a character that inspires that. I found him more engaging than any emo eye candy protagonist, I like the fact he was a straight talker, I liked the fact that he was confident and upbeat and I thought it was great that he actually communicated his problems with people. Take the scene with Yuna in the farplane where he talks about his childhood...it took an entire game for Squall to act human, and an entire game and movie for Cloud to deal with his issues. Sometimes it's nice not to have to go through all of this emotional turmoil with a character. I found him pretty naive at the start, but he redeemed himself by being so accepting of his fate.

It's his VOICE it annoys me so much, I don't hate him, but his voice pecks my head, when he's doing his narrating thing, he sounds fine. I think he's just a little too...hyper for me and he makes me cringe on afew occasions, like that STUPID laughing scene....

Also, I wouldn't call his hate of his father unconvincing, Id say it was more resentment than hate though, although he SAYS he hates him, I think it's just the resentment & anger toward his attitude, the fact he drank, his mum never paid him attention when Jecht was around, and the fact that he dissapeared one day and everyone loved him so much. He was a big name to live up to I guess. Thats just my thought on it anyway ^^

Actually, I DO like his character, he just annoys me on occasion, that's all xD

Well I do not hate Tidus but I thought he was pretty lame. I found it very cool that he was a blitzball star and all but he was quite lame when it came to dialogue. He became a guardian right away. When he saw jecht at the end he said he hated jecht but he did not actually mean it right? I did find Tidus's love for Yuna quite amusing. Why the fuck does anyone in the game say his name if you keep his default one?

Yeah, it was the voice for me. -_-

Sometimes the voices for all of the characters bothered me, but Tidus's was the only one that annoyed me almost constantly. Every now and again his intonation was off...I mean he would put the wrong emphasis on certain words...I dunno, it bothered me. :gasp:

I actually liked the change in character from the gloomy types of Cloud and Squall (I'm only now playing Nine, Zidane seems alright), but it seems they WAY overdid and most of the time he just came off as obnoxious. -_-

What people forget to remember is the fact that FFX was the very first FF game to actually have voice acting. Of course the intonation is going to be off sometimes with certain words or characters and if I'm not mistaken James said that they had over 10,000 lines in that game altogether? So I mean lots and lots of voice acting. Maybe his voice wasn't the greatest, but Tidus as a character had many redeeming qualities. I don't find him annoying in the least. I find him more realistic than any male protagonist in any game tbh. He's one of my favorites.

I didn't mind Tidus whatsoever! As Mandi already pointed out, he was realistic enough and I liked the fact he wasn't so tortured like other previous lead characters had been. He was fun to control and brought some laughter into the game with his outrageous lines. I know I enjoyed playing him because of those reasons.

That's true enough, it was the first FF with voice acting. However, that doesn't mean that the voice actors were brand-new, or the sound team hadn't worked with a game before. Admittedly, I'm not really sure how the process of voice acting works...if the contract it out to some sound studio or if SE just gave it a go themselves. :wacky: If anything, I'd blame the voice issues on the localization team, they probably just struggled with translating the "feeling" from Japanese to English.

They really did a decent job, though, I'll admit. And Tidus is certainly a better protagonist than those of some of the other games (Cloud amirite)...but it's a matter of personal preference, as always.

Last edited:
I didn't hate him, not at all! Sure, he had his horrible annoying scenes (the laugh scene should die >.>) but so do the rest of the characters. Tidus wasn't really bad. He wasn't all cold and depressing, and it was a nice change. They sort of took Zidane's personality and gave it a major face lift. Sometimes he was extremely annoying, but it never got bad enough to hate him. It all balanced out for me in the end :)

As far as protagonists go, he could have been much, much worse. He was actually a pretty solid one, not all moody. I prefer upbeat to depressed anytime! I think his relationship with Yuna was a bit lacking, and I could have done without it in fact, but that's only because I prefer Rikku :P

Last edited:
Personally I thought the story didn't truly develop and engulf Tidus' true character. They could have done SO MUCH MORE with his story, and I mean so much more. It seemed like they kind of rushed everything together, and at the end looked at each other and thought "Oh shit, what's a good plot for this?
OH YEAH! HIS DAD IS THE BAD GUY THAT HE DIDN'T KNOW WAS THE BAD GUY!
. I mean seriously, just wasn't really convincing by any means.

~Insanctified

I guess, for me, it really was his voice. It didn't bother me too much in the beginning, but there are some scenes where his voice just got irritating. Made me want to pull my hair out. As for his character, it was a nice change from the more silent and serious kind of heros like Cloud and Squall, but it was also something I had to get used to since I actually preferred heros like Cloud and Squall. I suppose it's because Tidus seemed a bit immature to me at first. Yeah, his character developed, but he seemed very immature at the beginning. All in all, though, Tidus wasn't too bad.

I love Tidus. But that thing he does when he's confused/angry with his arm, where he throws it out, irritated me a little bit. Dunno why.

His voice was too screechy, and like someone said, he put the wrong emphasis on stuff, as did Yuna occasionally. Whatever. I learned to live with it.

The tidus haters hate him because he is not cloud or squall.He was not anti-life throughout X like cloud was in VII or squall was in VIII.He was probably to chipper in the morning for them and they could not handle it.They need to look at the positives that is his character

So it's pretty safe to say that the voice is what turned people off. While it did annoy me a little I eventually looked past it and grew to love Tidus. I liked his personality and his story.

His voice actor didn't do too well with Tidus but he's actually a pretty decent voice actor in his other work.

I, for one, don't hate Tidus. There were just certain aspects of his character and design that I don't like and I never will like, such as his voice, his clothing, ect. I found him, at times, to be a very likable character, but at other times during the game I wanted to rip my hair out after he had done/said something, such as the laughing scene with Yuna. I know some people just absolutely love him and don't see a thing wrong with him, but people are entitled to their own opinion, and personally, I don't think he's the best FF character out there. I certainly don't hate the guy, but he's certainly not on my favorites list either.

I used to find him terribly annoying. But 3rd time round playing the game, I appreciated his character a lot more. I didn't find his voice irritating either. He's a pretty decent hero.

I love Tidus!

He's my favourite Final Fantasy Male character. =)

I have never hated him or been annoyed with him. I loved his character and personality. He was just so much fun throughout the whole game and he just felt more real to me then any other Final Fantasy character.

I think it's because he came from a modern world that related more to our world and in turn made me feel as though he was more than just a made up character in this strange fantasy world.

His world was a lot different to Yuna's, where there were fiends and such. Though we didn't see too much of Tidus' Zanarkand to say that there weren't fiends there too. Which there more than likely were.

But anyway moving on.

I think the only part I didn't like him in was the laughing scene. It's the only thing that comes to mind when I think about it.

I think that most people just see him as a typical blonde idiot. <_< Not sure why. If they really paid attention they'd see that he's a pretty cool character and sure he may be a bit silly some times, but in all honesty he's only 17 and therefore allowed to be an idiot sometimes. XD

My thoughts on the dad issue are this;

I think he really did hate his dad. =/ Jecht never really paid any attention to him. He ignored him as a child and so did his mother when Jecht was around. He teased him about crying as a child too.

That's really sick if you think about it. A child at that age needs love and attention. Not ridicule and neglect. It obviously scarred Tidus.

Jecht left while Tidus was still young and the only memories Tidus had of Jecht were those cruel and hurtful ones. It's not like Jecht said goodbye or I love you. It would have felt to Tidus like he never really did love him at all if his own father could get up and leave him just like that. =/

Anyway my rant is over. XD

Last edited:
I like Tidus, what I dislike about him is that he excaggarates things. When he finds out about Yuna sacrificing herself, he breaks down like a little girl. Gimme a break man, that's the worst possible time to have a breakdown. He talks a lot, which I have no problem with, but a lot of it is absolute crap adding little to no substance. "Thinking isn't solving anything", for instance.

I quite like him actually. Tidus is easily the most human and believable of all FF main characters. Unlike characters such as Squall and Cloud, he goes through the entire emotional spectrum. He's happy, depressed, angry, annoyed, cheerful, hyper, and yes even whiny at times, and that's what's make him all the more compelling.

As far as his voice goes, I quite like it. I have to confess though, I AM a big fan of James Arnold Taylor and everyone from the Drawn Together cast. Wooldoor Sockbat ftw!

Back