Which Final Fantasy to play next?

Dullro

Gil
Hey guys,
I just finished to play ff 15 (Windows Edition) and i really loved it. I liked the story and the gameplay.
But i think the thing i liked most about it was the setting.
So my question is, which ff to play next, maybe some one whit a similar setting. But i´m open to some other opinions, if you think i should check out an other setting.
Greetings from Austria,
Dullro

FFVIII might be the closest to FFXV in terms of style. VIII goes for a modern-looking aesthetic. FFVII does too (to a lesser extent).

But the great thing about FF is that every game has its own unique setting and feel. They can't really be compared directly and each are their own universe.

Welcome to the forums!

Just be prepared for the bad graphics when playing FFVII and FFVIII - coming from FFXV it might put you off to play the classics, but they really are a gem in the series! I started replaying FFVIII recently and I couldn’t help but whine about the gameplay and graphics overall, whereas back then at the age of 12 it wasn’t an issue for me. I’ve been spoiled all these years. :/

I would even recommend FFX in general; it has the right tone and delivers a moving storyline. The setting is a bit different from FFXV, but it’s a must play at some point.

Tricky question! There are so many Final Fantasy games to choose from! ^_^

It depends on what you enjoy the most about the games. For example, FFXV was more open world than a lot of the previous games in the series. If you want a similar feel, then maybe FFXII would be a good one. There are a lot of different areas in this one that you have a bit more freedom to explore (i.e., deserts, snowy areas, forests, etc.).

Older ones I would recommend are FFVII or FFVIII (FFIX is good too, but quite a different setting to the others). But as Mitsuki said, the graphics are not quite as advanced as they are now.

Also note that the game-play for the older Final Fantasy games is quite different. FFXV allowed you to control Noctis in battle, where as the older games are more turn-based.

From playing and enjoying XV, i'd say the next best step would be Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age - The PS2 game has been wonderfully Remastered and upgrade to fit current gen, which really lets all that detail in the art direction flourish. I must admit, I didn't like either XV or XII, but I feel XII would be most suited due to it's combat system - which isn't the traditional turn base of the series.

If you want a turn base FF, Final Fantasy X is the baseline entry IMO, it just hits high marks across the board (Story, Gameplay, Soundtrack etc.) and like XII has also been Remastered so it will look great on PC or any system you decided to play it on. X has IMO the best turn based battle system and tons and tons of post game extras to dive into, if you haven't played it you owe it to yourself to try it.

After that if you can withstand 32-bit graphics, try VII.

Neat, well I hope you have fun, when it comes to VII, VIII & IX, I have to play the downloaded version on my PS3 - I can't stand playing 4:3 games on a widescreen TV, I'd even prefer a stretched image.

There was the original PC version & I'm sure there is an updated version on Steam - Not sure if there are widescreen Fan patches for it yet. If anyone does let me know!

I Always Play May RPGs on my pc becausr i think the ability to throw mods at my Game is pretty cool 😊

What was it you couldn't get along with in IX? Genuinely curious.

My biggest gripe is easily the frame-rate whilst in combat, it's just so slow... but I do still like the mechanics of the combat system.

Back