What's the deal with players not wanting to be healed to 100%?

NixLupus

Gil
FFXIV
Nix Lupus
Level 64 white mage, i enjoy healing even though it seems fairly easy in normal/hard content so far, i've had a few people actually complain about me keeping the party topped up (especially the tank). What's with this weird hipster attitude about it? I've played WoW for years, even in high m+ it's not something even toxic players care about, only if you fail to heal them. In the modes i play you can still keep my mana nearly full. I let the tanks' health drop, he makes a mistake and at the same moment a dps makes a mistake. The healer has now fallen behind, keeping them topped up prevents it...these are PUGS that haven't played the content (i dont know it either), not skilled players who know the content.

Am i missing something?

• Haha
Reactions: Six
oh believe me they'd complain both ways :wacky: they're either yelling about "stop with the overhealing and give us some damage" or "stop dpsing and start healing", but tbh I used to mainly focus on keeping everyone topped up when I first starting levelling my healers but managed to find a balance in between healing and damaging the more I played...I'm sorry you had to encounter player like that :sad: you're allowed to play the way you prefer!

oh believe me they'd complain both ways :wacky: they're either yelling about "stop with the overhealing and give us some damage" or "stop dpsing and start healing", but tbh I used to mainly focus on keeping everyone topped up when I first starting levelling my healers but managed to find a balance in between healing and damaging the more I played...I'm sorry you had to encounter player like that :sad: you're allowed to play the way you prefer!

it's because i see so many mistakes i do it, there's a huge influx of new players. I prefer to play safe for now. Oh well, it is what it is ^^

XIV is.... not really a traditional MMO, like Guild Wars or WoW (I think even).

It's very much a niche in itself. People will complain about everything, people will moan about how you're not doing this and this properly, how you're not maximising your class, how you're wasting DPS time by healing them up to 100%, you name it. :lew:

As ridiculous and bothersome as it sounds, it's something you get used to. At the end of the day everyone plays the way they want to play and everyone else is always going to have an opinion about it.

End game content, and raids (extreme and 8+ people) will tend to give you backseat drivers. :wacky:

Don't let it bother you is what I'd say!

Oh and remember.... if someone dies it's ALWAYS the healer's fault.

.... :wacky:

I tend to just ignore people who moan in this game. I know that isn't a very helpful sentiment, but it has served me well so far. I simply go into this game to play it for the story and I decided a long time ago that I'm not going to let keyboard warriors ruin it for me with their comments on how I am playing and what I should be doing. I'm not taking FFXIV up as an Olympic sport. You won't find me at an eSports venue playing this game competitively. I'm simply here to play a game and progress the story.

I don't know anything about healing, but I always appreciate it when healers, you know, heal. I certainly wouldn't shout at a healer for doing what it says on the tin. If you as a healer would rather be careful and top up the party if they are seen to be taking damage, you heal as much as you feel is right. I guess there will be an element of impatience here though, if people have run a dungeon so many times and want it done quickly and would rather you damage the enemy. But if you feel that might lead to mistakes and would rather be cautious (to avoid deaths/wipes delaying the dungeon even more), I see no harm in you doing as you see fit. Too bad you can't heal the personalities of people who yell at others.

• Haha
Reactions: Six
This subject is pretty much put to bed because it is absolutely true that everyone is free to play any game the way they are happy and comfortable to. At the end of the day though, being devil's advocate here, as a community reliant game, other perspectives are not necessarily wrong because they are critical of how someone is using their healing facility. Keyboard commandos are definitely tiring and in FFXIV they tend to thrive in raid, farming and PvP content which can be very discouraging for people who are learning or are only occasional participants in such places, for players who frequent these modes more often it tends to just wash over you as was pointed out in previous posts.

All that said, each healer in FFXIV has a very different dynamic and facility to their party. WHM heals get more potent the lower the HP drops which is one of the most powerful aspects of their toolkit. This facilitates more effective balancing between DPS output and necessary healing. Keeping the party topped up is adequately looked after through the occasional regen - something I've rarely ever seen any player pick at. Majority of the time, if people are looking for better DPS input from a healer it's due to over healing with purely healing moves or using the old Medica II spam - where AOE heals are needed to save party from a wipe, Medic II > Medica/Cure III is far more effective. At the end of the day, using more effective healing practices leads to a smoother run which can only be a good thing and although there's plenty of rude and abrasive players on FFXIV, it's the delivery which is more often at fault rather than the actual critique itself.

It’s quite often unnecessary to waste GCDs topping everyone off, especially in levelling content. A decent WHM can out-dps an average/good tank or a bad DPS and so if you’re wasting time solely healing, you aren’t really maximising your GCDs as well as you could be - which slows down clear times for everyone.

Healing in XIV has a different focus and structure than WoW.

Back