Chocobo Egg
Thief
FFXIV
Jun Sasaki
FFXIV Server
Lamia
Free Company
FFF
I want to clearly state that I won't play it right away, but I like to plan what platform I am going to play certain games on. So of course the time has come that I should consider/choose what platform I should play FFX and FFX-2 on (it is the only FF game from the main series I don't know how/what I should play it on). And I really need your help.

So I have the following options:
- playing it on pc (I have only a not-so-great laptop when it comes to performance)
- playing it on console (PS2, PS4, PS Vita)

Things that I have trouble with:
- if I can, I prefer playing on consoles.
- I usually prefer Japanese audio, but I can deal with English one, too, ofc. (I simply like to the hear the original audio when it comes to Japanese games, but I don't consider myself an English dubtitle-hater elitist lol. :,D)

Mostly I think about getting the PS2 or PS4 version.

Why?
My laptop might not able to run the game. And while I like playing PS1 classics on my Vita, I think I would like to play FFX-X-2 on bigger screen/on my HDTV. And it is also pain in the ass to buy Vita games, they are rare and horribly overpriced in the EU. :(

But to be honest I don't really know whether I should get the PS2 or PS4 versions. I love my PS2, it was my first console ever and nowadays I try to get more games I can play on it (kind of trying to get back to it). I don't care if the graphics are not full HD or simply considered ugly compared to a PS3 or PS4, graphics are the only thing I don't care about (oh and trophies lol). And it seems I could play it with Japanese audio.

On the other hand I love the PS4, too. And I really would like to somehow support the creators, and I can buy this version from local stores as new. (While I can only buy PS2 games second-hand). As I know, it has only English audio.

But there is something I don't really know about. Are the PS4 and PS2 games the same? I ask it because I know that for example the English version of FFXII for PS2 is "less" than the FFXII Zodiac Age for PS4 when it comes to game mechanics etc. So in this case are we speaking about the very same game? Or the PS4 version is an enhanced version?

Sorry if it seems as a really nonsense and trivial debate. But I really would like to hear your opinions and suggestions!
Thank you for your help in advance!

Well for FFX the PS2 and PS4 versions are indeed the same as the "core" game. Yet for the PS4 and Vita route you get FFX and FFX-2, as far as I am aware these two games were never bundled together on the PS2. Also on the PS4 you get the FFX-2 Last Mission which to my knowledge is a very hit or miss title with most people viewing it as a miss and it only offers very little story content of events after FFX-2 as far as i'm aware. So long and short if you want both games the most cost effective is probably PS4 as you will get both, content wise PS4 as it offers more, or if you just want the game and not care about X-2 or it's one off game then get X for the PS2.

I agree with Soul, I would go with PS4, if I remember correctly but I could be wrong, there was added content to the game that was only released in Japan. There is a PS3 version but it is the same as PS4. You get both games in one purchase for a cheaper price as well.

I am not much of a PC gamer, but I also think you will enjoy the game better on console and I agree with you on having it on the "Big Screen", it would be more enjoyable.

My vote, PS4, as I think it is the better deal price wise and a possibly a more enjoyable experience.

PS4 is technically the best option since I'm obviously not sure whether your PC will run it well. But it's only for reasons you might not care for. Graphically it looks better, you have the option to use either the original or rearranged soundtracks, it's in a single package, load times are faster than PS2, etc. However, since you're talking European versions of the games, you already have access to 99% of the extras on the PS2, that were 'new' to the American PS3/PS4 re-release. So in reality, any version would likely work for you just fine. The PS4 version is just an smoother version of the same experience with an alternate OST you can use. That and the language thing I suppose.

Omg I just realised that I hadn't thanked you for your suggestions!^^" I read them right away you answered my question, but somehow didn't get to properly thank it.

I finally got the game and I went with the PS4 version you suggested. I really love it so far (only a few hours into the game), so thank you again!! I do feel I can get the best experience with this version of the game. *3*

Good choice, I made the mistake of buying the PS3 version of the Remaster at launch:
- Longer Loading times than the original game!
- You're stuck with that god-awful Revised Soundtrack! (Don't believe me, listen to Jetch's Theme, it's off key!) Whereas with the PS4 version you can play it with the original Soundtrack intact!

I played through X-2 Completely on the PS4 though and had a decent time overall despite my grips with the direction it took the series.

Of course now you have the Xbox One X Enhanced version, I'd sure love to see how that looks!

Last edited:
Back