What do you worry will be removed from the remake?

Draconic

Chocobo Breeder
Gil
What it says on the tin. Basically, a place to discuss what aspects of the first game you fear being removed more than any other part of the game.

This can be a scene, a line, even a minigame.

I suppose you could rephrase this as asking what your favorite and potentially controversial or politically incorrect moment in the game was.

frankly i'm worried how they might change or remove materia.
when they made DOC they changed the materia system and it really didn't work that well, likewise for crisis core. CC was a great game but each time they've tried to "modernize" the materia system they have (in my mind) messed it up as the story in both the original game and Advent children required materia to be an integral part of it and frankly, in both games discussed above, as long as you had a restore materia you didn't have any real use for anything else.

I'm also a little concerned with some of the extra stuff that the original game had like the honeybee inn, the weapon seller, and many of the side characters that perhaps had some interesting bits of lore or a useful, yet unnecesary, item or just had some good joke parts or sad parts that helped flesh out the world. I'm confident that they will still have many great additions in that small way (and maybe JUST MAYBE they finish that effing chest in Kalm) but there are some things that they probably wouldnt be able to get away with these days.

I think the most concerning thing for me is how they are going to approach the World Map. One of the great moments of FFVII is when you finally leave Midgar after being their for 5-7 hours and see this Open World come to view and reveal how big this game truly is! It was a wonderful moment from a technical standpoint that I hope this Remake doesn't underwhelm. I'd be happy with a World Map like FFXII's - So interconnecting landscapes... but thinking about it the HighWind is a staple of the game to and Navigating with it will have to be included. I Don't think a Chibi version like Ni No Kuni's World map will do either, so I'm really not sure how to approach this - Did Dragon Quest XI have airships? If so how did they approach it?

I also hope they keep the Wutai trials in - it was sort of a Mega-Sidequest in the game (It is optional!) and one that was just so engaging and fun. I want the whole scenario where you lose your materia to be included too - it was such a game-changer fighting that Dragon casting Aero 3 at you while you have barebones equipment!

A few other sideline scenarios I hope they keep:
- The search for BETA Materia with the Submarine
- Snowboarding and climbing the North Crater Mountain
- Midgar Escape Bike Scene
- Gold Saucer in general
- Chocbo Farm & Chocobo Breeding System
- Coral Train Scene - With the option to save or fail it.

I think a lot of these moments divert from the traditional gameplay mechanics and it's these diversion which make the game seem grander as a whole - It's why I like FF Mini-games to be like Blitzball, something unique instead of just Monster hunts using the already built combat system.

Last edited:
I think the most concerning thing for me is how they are going to approach the World Map. One of the great moments of FFVII is when you finally leave Midgar after being their for 5-7 hours and see this Open World come to view and reveal how big this game truly is! It was a wonderful moment from a technical standpoint that I hope this Remake doesn't underwhelm. I'd be happy with a World Map like FFXII's - So interconnecting landscapes... but thinking about it the HighWind is a staple of the game to and Navigating with it will have to be included. I Don't think a Chibi version like Ni No Kuni's World map will do either, so I'm really not sure how to approach this - Did Dragon Quest XI have airships? If so how did they approach it?

I also hope they keep the Wutai trials in - it was sort of a Mega-Sidequest in the game (It is optional!) and one that was just so engaging and fun. I want the whole scenario where you lose your materia to be included too - it was such a game-changer fighting that Dragon casting Aero 3 at you while you have barebones equipment!

A few other sideline scenarios I hope they keep:
- The search for BETA Materia with the Submarine
- Snowboarding and climbing the North Crater Mountain
- Midgar Escape Bike Scene
- Gold Saucer in general
- Chocbo Farm & Chocobo Breeding System
- Coral Train Scene - With the option to save or fail it.

I think a lot of these moments divert from the traditional gameplay mechanics and it's these diversion which make the game seem grander as a whole - It's why I like FF Mini-games to be like Blitzball, something unique instead of just Monster hunts using the already built combat system.

i agree, i think that keeping the side quests would certainly be a good thing and that it would also help keep it connected to the original game. i've already come to terms with completely changing the combat system but i would hope they don't change too much else because this isn't supposed to be a completely new game it should still look a lot like the old game. i agree that the world map was a great addition to it, connecting landscapes would be nice like in FF12, i think you could still keep a siilar air ship style and even put some items and side quests in areas only accessible from the highwind.

hopefully they will add even more sidequests that help divert from the original gameplay.

I'm also wondering if they will keep Cait Sith in the roster... Initially I thought well of course, he's clearly presented in Advent Children - But this is a Remake, which should be treated as a Reboot in essence, so we can't really look at Advent Children as a source of Lore/Canon.

I pose the question purely on how Absurd the character is in general, it will be weird having an oversized Moogle with a small talking Cat ontop :P Just all the things I visualise from Final Fantasy VII being reformed into a more realistic presentation Cait Sith is the one which stands out like a sore thumb! Sure Red XIII is also non-human, but I think his Wolf -like features work a bit more + We was experimented on by Shinra. I just think having a Toy Moogle may be sort of a distraction from serious moments within the in the story - Like the event at the conclusion to Disc 1.

What if they did remove him? I think the only part that the story would have to make big changes on is within the ending to the Temple of the Ancients scene. I think it also comes down to the interpretation of the character:
As Reeve is revealed to be controlling the Cait Sith model, is that the oversized Moogle or the cat too? This is why seeing Cait Sith in AC confused me :P

I'm just very interested to see how they handle this character and if they decide to even make him playable. This is an adaptation, so things may be different - They've hardly kept the turn based combat.

I also just gone thinking, how are they going to interpretate Jenova this time around? Jenova's appearance in VII is very secretive and bizarre through out. She never speaks and is often left by Sephiroth as a boss encounter. The best shots we get of her are in the reactor Flashback scene and I guess also in the Shinra HQ. She also appears in many different forms too, I'm kind of hoping this Remake/Reimaging of VII takes the chance to flesh out her story a bit more in general as I have always felt her presence was a bit too vague.

Last edited:
^^

I do hope that they keep Cait Sith in the game, though I do appreciate the difficulty in trying to make him blend in with a darker, more realistic tone. If this is what they are going for here.

But Cait Sith / Reeve for me are interesting characters. Cait Sith may be a bit clownish, but he's playing a part and is really a spy operated by Reeve. When he decides to actually help the party, the roles flip and Reeve becomes a spy relating Shinra secrets to AVALANCHE.

I find the contrast of Reeve and Cait Sith's personalities to be quite fascinating.

There's a small deep part of me that really hopes they don't omit the part where Cloud says "Alright, everyone, let's mosey." For comical reasons, of course 😅

I agree with Dionysos about Cait Sith though. Also, it has been a while since I've played Dirge of Cerberus, but they managed to make Cait Sith work, albeit without the giant Moogle. I can see it going a few different ways, but if I had to take a guess I can see them using just Cait Sith during cut scenes and then showing him using the Moogle during the Battle sequences and Gold Saucer introduction (gotta get that fortune read!)

There is a lot of things I'm scared will get omitted and all that, as I'm sure we all are. I just really hope they tie all the games together more.
Also, really looking forward to seeing how they handle Cloud's Mako poisoning when they piece together his mind.

Aerith must die. :P

[Promoting this thread to social media!]

Cait Sith was mentioned a few times here and I agree as well. It'll be interesting to see how he fits into the group dynamic.

I hope they keep the puzzles as well - for example, the code for the safe in the Nibelheim mansion. The mini-game mechanic for Tifa, Barret, and Cloud in the beginning during the bombing mission. The squat game in the market... little things like that, adds value to the gameplay. They may not be integral to the story, but I will be looking for tiny details like those anyway.

New news! Seems like the Honey Bee in will be included!:
  • The watchmen of fate (the black mist in the trailer) are mysterious beings that appear before the party wherever they go. I hope that even those who have played the original game will enjoy the new elements.
  • There are quite a bit of dialogue options. We are making it so the dialogue changes depending on your response, so the sheer volume of dialogue has increased.
  • The Honey Bee Inn cross-dressing event is still in. We’ve made it more modern. If we made the facility like we did in the original game, the physical unease would be staggering, so that was no good…
  • There are quite a few additions to the scenario. While the main story itself hasn’t changed, there are a countless number of new events. Otherwise we wouldn’t have two Blu-ray discs. (Laughs.)
  • Aerith and Tifa are double heroines. One has a western-style look and the other an eastern-style look.
  • We wanted Tifa to have abs, so she has an athletic body type. The ethics department at Square Enix also told us that we had to tighten her chest as not to get unnatural during all the intense action. From there we got the black underwear and fitted tank top.
  • With an emphasis on immersion and exhilaration, you can fight without stress through the use of shortcuts. When you open the command menu, time slows and you can fight like a command battle.
  • Each playable character has different enemy affinities.
  • An item is required for MP recovery.
  • For the sake of level design, we’re preparing a few new enemies where necessary

Back