What could this Souls-like FF be?

Raspberry

Gil
if we follow the rumors it's an existing FF IP or universe that is going to get a souls-like entry.

i can only think of three possible Souls-like FF that could work within an existing world:

Ivalice game (specifically closer to Vagrant Story)

FF15

FF Type series.

I was thinking of this earlier, when you consider they made a Star Wars 'Dark Souls' type game, I guess they can really build any story/theme around it - If you asked me which I think would be most fitting yes I would certainly go with XII/Ivalice. If anything I just hope it offers more active story telling unlike the Souls games. I want story events and decent scenario writing rather than it turning into a combat focused game.

I read this article earlier stating it might revolve around the original Final Fantasy?

Honestly, if this is the approach they're going for as a fan of Final Fantasy I feel like I am the wrong target audience. I don't mind the original FF1 thanks to the stellar revision with the PSP Remake but its not a game I consider remarkable or even really an essential piece of the series - I appreciate it don't get me wrong but it's hardly to the quality of Final Fantasy IV or in the same league of VI-X is it now?

The Warrior of Light feels like such an abstract character, I've never really identified with him, but then of course this is a chance for S-E to expand on him as a character - I heard FF14's DLC does something to that effect but I don't know the details.

The other problem I have is that we're already getting a Hard Fantasy title with Final Fantasy XVI, that game too also seems to have a more action based combat system so how will the two differentiate from one another? Having two games with a similar tone and style and combat system be confusing.

I just hope the game isn't boring. I never played Team Ninja's Nioh, but I heard in the 2nd game they turned the main character from an established in-game character to an Avatar that the player can modify. I REALLY don't want this to be the case, Final Fantasy's main appeal to me is the character driven stories! I want to be compelled to follow the characters through their journey and not just bash monsters from one environment to the next with minimal motivation.

Also if they proceed with the Dark Souls type of game, that also means it will probably be intentionally difficult which I personally just find tedious - I already had to deal with Crash Bandicoot 4 earlier this year and the difficulty ruined the experience entirely. Every level was an endurance and I was itching to just get it over and done with rather than enjoy the experience. I've never played a From Software Souls game properly - I tried the original Demon Souls and hated it right from the start.

Of course i'll be eagerto see it at E3 still but not very encouraged with the on-going news around this title...

To start with, what started out as a vague rumour about a new game is starting to get worrying. There are apparently BIG leaks out there now.

I think this tweet might refer to this, but I could be wrong:

If any assets do surface in the coming days, and we're not meant to see them yet, I'll ask that we refrain from spreading them here. It could ruin the experience for others and damage Square Enix. Discussing vague rumours and news like this would be fine, but as soon as we start to see things that we aren't meant to (screenshots, video clips, etc), that's completely different!

As for myself, I'd have preferred this new game to be set within the world/s of FFV myself. Or any other game.

FFI is very generic. Fun as it is and as grateful as I am for this game (for allowing those that followed to exist), it is essentially Dungeons and Dragons with a timey-wimey sci-fi style twist, and 2d sprites and music. It has its own charm and I do love it, but it isn't particularly deep.

If Square Enix were to focus on building up the world's lore to make it more unique, that would be cool. Focus on Matoya a bit more. The Lufenians too. Maybe let us see what the mermaids are all up to. There are germs of interesting concepts within the original game that aren't really explored fully. This could be an interesting opportunity.

The Warrior of Light feels like such an abstract character, I've never really identified with him, but then of course this is a chance for S-E to expand on him as a character - I heard FF14's DLC does something to that effect but I don't know the details.
I would separate these characters. FFXIV's player character's nickname is based on the nickname of the franchise's first protagonist, but that's it. We're not meant to see them as the same beyond that. And any references to other Warriors of Light in FFXIV are a similar situation.

You could say that the Warrior of Light from FFI is simply a symbol of hope, etc. In the original game he was hardly a 'character' at all beyond Amano's artwork, as the player had four characters and could decide their jobs and names to suit their own tastes. Dissidia was the first game to try to salvage a character out of this.

This might do something similar.

I think a prequel to Final Fantasy 1 will be an amazing idea. As we can see the Lufenians, Cid, and other characters. Dissidia expanded that world greatly too and added more dept. Perhaps play as the villain Garland. Or something like that.

The other problem I have is that we're already getting a Hard Fantasy title with Final Fantasy XVI, that game too also seems to have a more action based combat system so how will the two differentiate from one another? Having two games with a similar tone and style and combat system be confusing.

If this new game is purportedly by Team Ninja, somewhat inspired by Souls and has a flavour of Nioh which Team Ninja also worked on, it will probably bear little resemblance to FFXVI's combat, which carries the prestige of a former Devil May Cry director. With that pedigree and based solely on the single trailer we've seen thus far of the game, I picture FFXVI taking far more cues from a character action game mixed with elements we should ordinarily expect to see from a regular RPG.

This new game could easily differentiate from FFXVI's more rapid, breakneck type of combat with slower, more methodical and deliberate combat that places far more emphasis on your equipment and build. If it truly wants to take inspiration from Souls, it could furnish the player with a world that's far more dangerous than your average FF world to navigate and traverse, which warrants this precise need to be deliberate and cautious.

But who knows. It could turn out we're all overestimating how much Souls influence there will be, and find ourselves with two very similar kinds of games. You're right in that the tone of both games could verge on being very similar - both will presumably heavily downplay the typical anime aesthetic and characteristic we've come to see from prior titles, with a lot of gratuitous bloody violence to really sell the brutal medieval-ish world setting.

Personally, so long as this game has a greater slate of accessibility options for someone like me (who is a bit scared to play a Souls game, lol), I'm all eyes and ears.

Souls games aren't as hard as people think. It just removes the gimmicky boss battles and focuses on timing and precision. Once you get used to it, you become more confident. my biggest recommendation for Souls games: experiment with weapons. If you do that, you'll find some stronger enemies are.

i personally don't like team ninja. they should've never made Dissidia NT. but since they have experience with more souls-like games, maybe FF origin might be better. i just hate when they make the characters more anime-like.

Hey, I'm late in this discussion and I haven't read the posts yet. But I do wonder of the possibility that it might be an FF14 game. In FF14, we have Palace of the Dead and Heaven on High. That smacks of the "nexus" from Demons' Souls. Stage-to-stage type of game... I would be the happiest man if it turned out like that. Of course, the odds are, it won't be. lol

Based on what was shown at E3, I think my initial theory that this is a prequel to FF1.

The reason why i believe its still a prequel because we only see 3 out of the 4 Warrior of light, and if we believe Dissidia and Dissidia 012 are part of mainline continuity, the 4th Warrior of light (CLone of Cid) appears at the end where he reaches castle Cornelia. This game will most likely take place strictly in the Chaos Shrine.

But in typical Team Ninja fashion, has disappointed me immensely. doesn't look like its been close to FF1's world.

Back