[VOTING] Christmas Writing Event [2021] - Oh, no! Santa resigned?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linnaete

sus
Staff member
Editorial Staff
Veteran
Gil
Andre the Adamantoise
Chocobo Egg
Accessory (Head)
Accessory (Arms)
Build-A-Member
Chocobo Egg
FFXIV
Aoife Linnaete
FFXIV Server
Lamia
Free Company
None
7BTIHzw.png

If our objective was to write uplifting tales about how the retirement of Santa Claus does not spell the end of the festive spirit of Christmas, I think we may have successfully failed. Perhaps Santa over his many long years of service gradually came to the sorrowful realisation that humanity does not deserve anything. And I don't blame him.

🎄 ENTRY #1 - The Grinch of Cats​

It all started on Christmas night, everything was happening as normal for the mysterious man known to many as Santa. He was out delivering presents to all in one night. He was at one house in particular making noise on the roof trying to get down the chimney. This noise woke up the neighbor known as Espurr who went to investigate the noise. What greeted Espurr was a strange sight, a man dressed in red and white upon a roof nonetheless. So being the noisy neighbor he was he gave a great big yell “What are you doing up there?” This caused the man known as Santa to slip off the roof and down to the ground with the bag of presents and all. As Espurr decided to see if the person who fell was alright, he noticed the body disappearing from plain sight. Now Espurr was getting cold you see, in his hurry to yell at this person on the roof he didn’t put on a coat and as it was snowing outside he needed something to warm himself, so he donned the coat and pants that were readily available. He was about to turn around and head home when he saw a cat staring at him in judgment. Espurr being the cat hater he is thought “How dare this cat judge me, I wish there was something I could do about it.” Suddenly the present bag that fell flew into Espurr’s hands and flew him up to the chimney. “What just happened?” asked an surprised Espurr, suddenly the chimney began to expand and the bag pulled Espurr though as if guided by some unknown force, soon he found himself in a living room with the same cat now staring at him. The bag opened itself as cat treats began to float out, and Espurr said “Am I supposed to give him this? He’s judging me, he doesn’t deserve such nice treats.” The treats slowly morphed into some coal and Espurr smiled, “That’s much better”, he said as he dropped it near the cat.

The bag sensing it’s mission accomplished hoisted him up through the fireplace again, where Espurr now noticed a sled pulled by reindeer. Getting in Espurr by curiosity picked up the reigns, he saw some names engraved on them. As he read them off they stomped and when he read them all they took off. Soon he found himself on another roof and once again by some strange magic the bag guided him around. He found himself in another house digging out presents for it’s inhabitants , “This isn’t so bad”, Espurr said when he heard another noise. He turned around to see yet another cat staring at him, as if asking why he was here. This cat walked up to him and started to purr as it wrapped itself around Espurr’s leg. Not one to like such cat affection he shook his leg to make it flee. Just as another gift rose from the bag that was a toy mice bag set Espurr’s thoughts went again that the cat didn’t deserve it and somehow again it became coal. Espurr grinned as he was able to ruin yet another cat's gift. Once outside and in the sled he began thinking of all the people he knew who owned cats, the sled as if sensing his thoughts went to each house, and as he did before Espurr began changing the gifts of each cat into coal.

Soon the night was approaching its end and the sled guided Espurr to where it came from. There he was greeted by little elves and mysterious creatures called ceglings. They asked what happened to Santa to which a shocked Espurr confessed “I yelled at Santa and he fell off the roof.” Everyone around looked down in sadness as they realized what happened but then one elf spoke up “Well that makes you the new Santa now.” Espurr shook his head in disbelief “I can’t be Santa, I have a life elsewhere.” The elf pulled out a card from the coat on Espurr’s pocket and pointed out to the section that whoever puts on this coat in turn becomes Santa. Espurr shook his head again and just said “How can this be?” The elf, clearly annoyed by having to explain multiple times, asked if Espurr at least delivered all the gifts to the children. “Yes I did where the sled took me, this bag made me shrink and go through a chimney, gifts floated out and I placed them beneath the tree.”

The elf looked at the bag confused, taking it from Santa, soon a look of disgust came over his face. “YOU CHANGED EVERY CAT’S GIFT TO COAL.” he yelled. Espurr looked smug as he replied “Of course I did, they are judgmental little things, giving me stares as I was delivering these gifts. Always thinking they are better than me.” The elf shook his head in disgust and walked away just muttering under his breath “I hope next year someone makes him fall from a roof, the cat’s of the world don’t deserve this.”

How many years did such innocent cat’s suffer through Espurr’s abuse? That has yet to be answered and the world may never know.

- - - - - - - - - - - -​

🎄 ENTRY #2 - A Whopper Christmas, innit!​

“It’s a nasty night out there, innit!” reported Adam as he closed the door behind him. “Can’t tell if it’s snowing or a thousand seagulls are bum-squirting all over the place. A real sh*t show, mate!”

Liv dropped her notebook and stumbled backwards onto the silent protection of her wall.

“Wh-who? Y-you? Adam? Why? How?!” Liv shrieked as she held her head in a state of panicked confusion.

“Lololololol! Got‘em! Don’t mind me, this is my life now,” chuckled Adam as he scanned his surroundings for Guinness and cookies.

“Y-you can’t just… W-would you like a cup of tea or something? This was a surprise!” Liv offered with a polite, but visibly shaking hand.

“Ehhhh. I’m not actually here long. Just on my rounds, innit!” Adam answered whilst doing a spinny with his arms.

Liv composed herself and examined her friendly intruder inquisitively. Sure, she hadn’t ever met Adam in real life before, but she had an idea of what he looked like. The red and white costume, the fake beard, the black boots, though? Had his sense of style flown away with his precious wasp treads?

“You really are taking Christmas seriously this year,” noted Liv.

“Shush ye! Well someone gotta do it! All dem weans need presents!” Adam yelled.

“Weans? Kiddos? I’m not that short!” protested Liv as she stamped her foot like a stroppy pug.

“Nonononono! That wasn’t a smol joke! Honest! Adults deserve gifts too! The power of friendship enriches our lives! Lolololol!!!” chortled Adam.

“Oh, go rub yellow dog on it and be off!” Liv barked as she folded her arms, unimpressed.

“OOOF! Wow! Oh wow! Well, I’ll still give you your gift! It’s whopper!” Adam said as he pulled a parcel out of his pocket and passed it to Liv. “Merry Chrimbo, mate! Chucky are law!”

“Thank you!” Liv replied sarcastically as she accepted the gift and gave it a shake. “Let me guess… Something flat and light. Oh! My Lovely Clicker has finally been released as a single? Perfect! Or maybe you want to play a kid’s card game! It could be a booster!”

“ARRRRGFH!!!#!@! FECK!” yelped Adam.

“What now?!” Liv questioned, rushing over to find Adam curled up like a Reedus foetus on the floor near the stool by the door.

“I just tripped over something here in your hallway! The Empire State of this gaff! Lethal!” complained Adam. “Anyway! Can’t be helped! I’d best be off. Thanks for the craic!”

Adam let himself out. After trading goodbyes, Liv watched from the doorway as Adam sauntered over to his sleigh.

“Oi! It is seagull poop! GGRRR!” Adam yelled at the sky, shaking his fist.

“Wait… A sleigh. Are you actually Santa?” Liv asked.

“Do I look like a feckin’ Don of the elves to you?! Ye eejit!” denied Adam. “I do things my own way!”

“Do you have reindeer?” Liv probed, but she was disappointed to find the front of the sleigh to be devoid of any animal.

“Lolololol! I use something much more efficient than reindeer!” boasted Adam with a self-assured smirk.

Adam dug his hands deep into his coat pockets and after a few seconds of rummaging he pulled out eight television remotes, all tightly tied to pieces of string. Liv watched in concerned amazement as the red-coated Irishman swung the remotes above his head like a cowboy readying his lasso to wrangle cattle. With a shout of “Red hot, innit!” he let go, and the momentum from the flying remotes pulled his sleigh forward and up, up into the sky.

As Liv saw her friend soar like a condor, the night sky as his backdrop, she swore that she heard him shout.

“WOOOO! WHOPPER TIME, YEH! Now, Basher! Now, Glancer! Now, Trasher and Unfix’em! On, Smash’it! On, Hitted! On, Gonner and Flicks’em!”

Adam’s voice trailed off into silence, and soon Liv had only the stars and the seagulls for company. What a strange evening. She felt like Tidus being pulled through Sin into Spira. These events seemed to conflict with her perception of reality entirely. If it wasn’t for the physical evidence of the parcel in her hands, she would have sworn that it was all a hallucination.

To test the veracity of her senses, Liv stepped back inside, closed and locked the door, and decided to open the parcel. It was, after all, technically after midnight already.

Almost instantaneously after tearing off the paper wrapping, Liv fell lifeless to the floor, like a puppet cut from its strings. After a pregnant pause, she sobbed as loudly as an overloaded donkey, then laughed with uncontrollable, hysterical howls as she slammed her fist against the floor.

Inside the package was a folded piece of paper, the top of which read simply:
“Reparations bill for your 800 years of oppression. Merry Christmas! :)

- - - - - - - - - - - -​

🎄 ENTRY #3 - The Red Coat Makes the Man or Sin Comes to the North Pole (I have no idea but I needed a title)​

Sugarplum peered over his spectacles at the large figure before him. He appeared quite tall, even by human standards. His eyes were hidden behind sunglasses and half of his face was tucked inside of a hulking collar. Judging by the way he swayed as he walked into the room and the bottle attached to his hip, he was quite possibly drunk.

In the seat next to Sugarplum, Candy Cane shifted uncomfortably. “Mr..um,” he looked at the paper in front of him. “Auron…we’re no longer hiring. Thanks.”

“The sign outside says differently.”

Sugarplum turned to Candy Cane. “What are you doing?” he mouthed.

Candy Cane stood and motioned for Sugarplum to follow him and he walked a few feet away from the table.

“One moment please,” Sugarplum told Auron. He walked over to where Candy Cane was waiting. “What?” he whispered.

“Look at him. He’s terrifying.”

“He’s not that bad. At least he won’t accidentally knock anyone over with his stomach.”

Across the room, Auron stretched and the muscles in his arms rippled. He drew his sword and began taking practice swings. Candy Cane grabbed Sugarplum’s arm, digging his nails in. “He’s going to kill us. I knew this was a bad idea. We should have just cancelled Christmas this year.”

Sugarplum pried Candy Cane’s trembling fingers from his arm. “Calm down. He’s clearly some kind of drunken…warrior…person. You’ve seen those drunken master kung fu movies. This is what they do.” Sugarplum approached the interview table again. “Mr. Auron, we’re ready. And, uh, no swords during the interview. It’s a bit distracting.”

Sugarplum motioned for Auron to take a seat across from him. Auron sauntered forward and lowered himself into the seat, which creaked under his weight. He laid his enormous blade on the table. Candy Cane had returned to his seat but leapt to his feet when he saw the sword again. Sugarplum grabbed his arm and yanked him back into his chair, jabbing his finger at the paper with prepared interview questions.

Candy Cane picked up his papers and cleared his throat. “So, um, Auron, please tell us about yourself.”

Auron crossed his arms. “No.”

Candy Cane glanced at Sugarplum with raised eyebrows. Sugarplum shrugged. At this point, he didn’t care who they hired. It was almost Christmas Eve and they needed to get these toys out.

“Alright,” Candy Cane continued. “It says here that you’re a retired Guardian. Your former employer is High Summoner Braska. What did that job entail?”

“I protected Lord Braska during his pilgrimage.”

Sugarplum jumped on the opportunity. “It involved travel. That’s perfect. This job requires some heavy travel. Only one day a year though.”

“Can we contact him for a reference?” Candy Cane asked.

Auron turned to Candy Cane. “He’s dead.”

Candy Cane’s jaw dropped. After a few seconds, he said “You killed him?”

Sugarplum began mulling over whether murder should be a reason for disqualification.

Auron uncrossed his arms and leaned forward. “Don’t you know anything? It was the pilgrimage. The High Summoner must lay down his or her life to defeat Sin. It’s the only way to bring the Calm.”

Candy Cane gripped the papers so tightly that Sugarplum was sure they would rip. “I-I’m sorry. I must have forgotten.” Candy Cane slid his chair a few inches away from the table.

“Forgive us, Auron. We’re unfamiliar with your region of…” Sugarplum glanced at the paper in Candy Cane’s hand. “…Spira.” Sugarplum took the papers from Candy Cane, skimming through the interview questions. We need to get this over with. Time is wasting. Ah, here’s one that might work. “We’ve already acknowledged your experience with travel,” he said to Auron. “What other qualifications do you have?”

Auron leaned back in his chair, making it creak again. He rubbed his chin as he considered the question. “I have a red coat,” he said finally.

“Perfect. You’re hired.”

“What?” Candy Cane protested. He lowered his voice to a whisper. “What about the other guy?”

“No. Absolutely not.”

“He wasn’t that bad. Let’s bring him in again.” Candy Cane stood and strode over to the intercom system on the wall. He pressed the button. “Gingerbread, can you send in Mr. Snow again?”

Seconds after Candy Cane released the intercom button, the door burst open and a tall man in a tan jacket and black do-rag strutted in.

“Your hero is here!”

Sugarplum groaned. “Do you really want to listen to this all year long?” he asked Candy Cane.

Candy Cane sat down. “Better than watching this guy skulk around with his giant sword.”

Sugarplum glanced at the clock on the wall. Almost midnight in Tonga and Samoa, we need to get moving. No time to argue about it. “Alright, you’re both hired.” He stood up and faced Snow. “Your name is Snow.” He turned to Auron. ”You’ve got a red coat. I’m sure you two can figure it out.” Reaching into his pocket, Sugarplum pulled out a set of keys and tossed them to Auron. “Here are the keys to the sleigh. Coal’s in the left bag. Toys are in the right.”

Candy Cane pulled a stapled set of papers from the stack on the table and handed it to Snow. “Here’s the list.”

“Time to be a hero to some children,” Snow said, flipping through the papers.

Auron grabbed the list and tore it in half, letting the papers fall to the floor. “We don’t need this.”

Snow gathered up the torn papers and hurried after Auron, who was already leaving the room.

Sugarplum watched the two of them leave. “I’d say there’s a better than average chance that this goes horribly wrong. But we are under contract.”

24 hours later…….

Sugarplum had just sat down for his morning tea when Candy Cane rushed into his office. The younger elf dropped into the chair in front of Sugarplum’s desk. Taking off his hat, he wiped his forehead with the back of his hand.

I’m amazed that he hasn’t had a stroke yet, Sugarplum thought.

“The phone lines have been going all morning. Lots of angry calls.”

Sugarplum took a sip of his tea and then leaned back in his chair, shaking his head. “I knew this PS5 shortage was going to kill us. It’s been a year. How is this still a problem?”

“It’s not that.”

Before Candy Cane could elaborate, the familiar jingle bells chimed throughout the building letting them know that Santa had returned. Sugarplum took another long sip of his tea and then stood.

“Let’s go see how it went, shall we?”

Candy Cane followed him out of the office and down the hall into the garage. Auron was climbing out of the sleigh. Snow was nowhere to be seen. The bag of toys was still full.

“These reindeer aren’t my style,” Auron said. “I think we should replace them with Chocobos.” He glanced over each reindeer. “Actually, I’ve grown fond of Prancer. He can stay.”

“Where’s Snow?” Candy Cane asked.

“He fell out of the sleigh somewhere over Mount Pinatubo. Too bad. I was so enjoying his rhetoric about heroes.”

“Fell?” Sugarplum asked, raising his eyebrow.

Auron stood upright and crossed his arms. “Yes, fell.”

Candy Cane was examining the bags in the sleigh. “You gave everyone coal?”

“I told you I didn’t need a list.”

“But what about the good kids? Don’t they deserve toys?”

Auron chuckled and then his face became grim. “Toys? What good are toys when Sin is lurking out in the ocean waiting to destroy everything in its path? They have to learn some time that happiness is fleeting and nothing is promised. The ones who are able to take that coal and turn it into something despite their disappointment will be the ones prepared for Sin’s arrival.” Auron trudged out of the garage, stopping at the door to say,“If that Snow guy makes it back, tell him he’s fired.”

Candy Cane looked at Sugarplum. “Well?”

“It’s a work in progress.” He shrugged. “Anyway, we fulfilled our contract. We handed out toys or coal on Christmas Eve.”

“Thank goodness for vague contracts, right? What are we going to do with all of these toys?”

“Use them as incentives for the phone crew,” Sugarplum replied and then headed back to his office to finish his tea.

- - - - - - - - - - - -
🎄 ENTRY #4 - Christmas Among Us​

“Alright, alright, settle down everyone.” Six tapped her papers to her podium in an attempt to straighten them out. The room went quiet and all attending members took a seat.

“I was told there would be brownies!” Someone jeered, but Six narrowed her eyes before silencing the room once more.

“As I was saying, I’ve called you all to this emergency meeting to discuss the recent news about this year’s Christmas event.”

“Are we getting a raise?”

“Sit down before I bin you all!” She shook a purple fist before sighing and rubbing her purple helmet. “AS I WAS SAYING, this year’s Christmas event is different this year, as we’ve just gotten word that Santa has decided to retire.” There was an audible gasp amongst attendees as everyone began to chatter. “Does no one read the emails we send out?!”

“I do!” Dionysos raised his hand before Six let out a defeated sigh.

“You eejit, you’re the one that writes them!”

“It’s still nice to be appreciated :)

“Wait!” Galadin stood, raising a red finger into the air, “So we’re not canceling Christmas?”

“CHRISTMAS IS IN FIVE DA-”

“Yes, we know, thank you Miko!” Kira growled, gripping the microphone closer to her helmet, “Christmas is NOT canceled this year, but it’s up to us to deliver all the Christmas cheer.”

“‘Cheer’? I haven’t heard that word in ages…” Linnaete glanced up from her inconspicuous book, a downcast look across her mauve face. Everyone collectively agreed as they nodded at one another.

“I’ve already sorted out the jobs for you elves to take care of this- No, shivas, not those kind of elves!” Kira shook shivas violently as a deep red flush stained her green day-dreaming body.

“Can I deliver the presents?” someone else quipped in, but Kira quickly whacked the podium to demand silence once more.

“No one gets to choose their jobs! I’ve already outlined your tasks here.” She passed out some papers across the staff, pausing a moment as a crittering sound echoed out. “Did someone hear that?”

“‘COAL MINING’?! What’s the meaning of this?” Ilyena stood up, her helmet steaming with rage, “I’m not going to the mines so you guys can sip on hot cocoa all day!”

Linnaete smirked evilly as the light shone across her helmet with dramatic effect. “At last, I get to be in charge of the master list. The tell-all for who were good and who were nice! Oh the sweet power just on this page alone! Who can I manipulate to fully take advantage of-”

“No, no no! We’ve all got a part to play, now listen up! Dionysos is on cookie duty, Ilyena is to deliver the shipment of coal, shivas is to design the toys while Miko wraps them, and then Galadin is to deliver the presents after Linnaete double checks the list. Am I missing anyone?” Six glanced up as everyone groaned. A creak in the ceiling went unnoticed as Six tapped the podium, “Alright then, go to work people!”

And with that shivas went to work. She shuffled her way out Staff Headquarters and into the Blitzball Stadium. She plopped down and took out a stuffed toy, glancing around to make sure no one was looking before stroking its hair. “Don’t worry Nevyn, I still think you’re the bestest elf.”
But unknowingly from behind a knife struck poor shivas right in the back, the Nevyn doll falling dramatically to the floor with a sad little flop. The knife fell and the perpetrator fled the scene.

Meanwhile in Palumpolum Miko was finishing wrapping a small yellow dog, tying it with a little bow. She tossed it over her shoulder to move on to the next, and before long there was a small little pile of gifts.

She wiped the sweat from her red helmet’s brow and let out a tired sigh, “Twas a lot of good presents, this much I know, but the progress is tedious and oh so very slow.” She fumbled some ribbon and finished another gift, tossing it over before being strangled by it. Her red body went limp and fell with a thud, blood seeping out as it tainted the gifts.

Down in the Final Fantasy X section Galadin skipped along the halls, quickly making her way to the Shoopuf thread. Her footsteps could be heard echoing the empty halls, but before she noticed there was more than her own. She picked up the pace and rushed on down, nervously looking around as she began a frantic run. The lights began to flicker and the hallways dimmed, and before long she found her way onto Page 8.

“Who’s there?!” She glared around, nervously backing up into a corner. Heavy breathing echoed from the walls before a soft little “Boo” could be heard. She turned around quickly and made a loud gasp, but not before falling back and flooring into her own blood.

Six scribbled in her notebook before checking her watch, sighing at the time and wondering how the others were doing. She shuffled her purple self down the halls and bumped into Dionysos who seemed a bit tense.

“What’s the status?”

“The cookies are burnt, the recipe is a disaster, and I’m almost certain this is cat food!” Dionysus flicked a finger in the air as a blob of Ronso Delight fell from it.

“How do you-” She stopped mid-sentence as Dan popped it into his mouth and audibly popped it back out.

“Definitely cat food.”

“Six, Dionysos!” Ilyena came scuffling in, skidding her feet as she came to a stop, “I’ve just found shiva’s body in the Blitzball Stadium!”

Before they even had a chance to react to the terrible news Linnaete soon trotted on in, skimming the list as she did. “I hate to interrupt, but after bribing Paddy McGee for all his money I happened to see Miko’s dead body in Palumpolum, and then Gal’s body in Final Fantasy X on my way here.” She glanced up from her list and gave it a tap with her hand, “Did you see that I was number nine on the nice list? How did Espurr and Sprout score higher than me? I mean, even Soulcorruptor is one above me, and I was fairly certain he’d make the naughty list!”

“Linnaete it seems a bit sus that you went by both Galadin and Miko on your way back here and didn’t call for help.” Ilyena narrowed her helmet’s eye as Linnaete frowned.

“You’re right… maybe I do deserve to be number nine on the list.” She scratched her mauve helmet head and sat down, cross referencing the list as she began to panic, “Maybe this entire time it was me that was the problem.”

“Okay, everyone stop.” Six tapped her head, “Let’s think for a minute. Dionysos where were you?”

“Oh, I was in the Final Fantasy XV section to grab some of Ignis’ recipes since there weren’t many submitted this year.”

“Very convenient, as it’s not too far away from Final Fantasy X where you could have murdered Galadin on the way down.” Ilyena waved a finger at him as he began to stutter.

“It wasn’t me! I know I’ve run a lot of Moogle Murder Mystery events, but that doesn’t make me a killer!”

“Where were you, Ilyena?” Six turned to her, watching as she calmly shrugged.

“On my way to the Zanarkand Ruins to dig up some coal.” Her eyes narrowed as Six jotted down some notes.

“Okay, let’s not jump to any conclusions. Let’s split up and look for any clues. Dionysos you go investigate shiva’s body while I go see what happened to Galadin. Ilyena check on Miko’s as well, I’m sure between all of us we can figure something out.” Six trotted on over to Linnaete and picked her up, escorting her out as she was lost in her mental spiral.

Six, Linnaete and Dionysos quickly made their exit as Ilyena glared out the door, slowly sliding on a pair of blue antlers as she ran the other way.

Six was quick to make her way to the nearest locked thread, tossing Linnaete in as she mumbled to herself.

“I had to double check that Sly made the nice list as well. Where did this list even come from? What injustice is this?” Linnaete sobbed as Six tossed her to the floor in her own tears.

“You’re probably safer here by yourself, Linnaete. I’ll come back and get you in a bit.” She slid her a book and closed the thread again, trotting away as Linnaete tossed aside the list and picked up her smut book.

“I don’t think she realized the order was reversed in the list.” Chuckled Six as she turned around the corner, stopping abruptly and let out a scream. There collapsed lay poor Dionysos’ body, head drowned in a bowl of cake batter.

She let out another scream and turned right around, running back to Linnaete in her own locked thread. She glanced over the preview and saw Linnaete’s limp mauve body, a knife protruding from her back. Six ran out the door and rushed down to HQ, intent on hitting the Emergency Meeting button.

But as she opened the doors she stood in shock as Ilyena slowly turned around in a swivel chair. She fumbled with a knife as her username glowed red, sharp teeth peeking through a mean smile.

“Six, so nice of you to join me on this joyous holiday. Did you really think I was so naughty this year that I had to dish out my own coal?”

“Did Santa even retire this year?!” Six yelled, watching as Ilyena stood to her feet.

“‘Retire’? Yes, I suppose so, though I’m sure you know how this’ll go.”

“I should have known there was an impostor among us!” Six seethed as she shook her fist, “Especially if they were able to get to Linnaete through a locked thread!”

“Linnaete is dead too?” Ilyena chuckled, stabbing her knife into the staff podium.

“If you didn’t kill Linnaete then who did?”

The vents crittered and let out a sound, one popping open before staring Six down.

“Me!”

But who was the other impostor?

- - - - - - - - - - - -
ENTRY #5 - The Starlight Patriarch​
“A Primal? In Coerthas?”

Can a man not enjoy a brew in peace without fresh new perils to the realm knocking on the Scions’ doors, thought Thancred as he hastily negotiated his way through the psychedelic, maze-like streets and bazaars of Radz-at-Han. The city’s central plaza housed an Aetheryte crystal and through its attunement could he utilise it to teleport to another travelled Aetheryte crystal across the land. His body was no doubt about to protest at the prospect of immediately exchanging the oppressively warm and humid Thavnairian climate for an equally oppressive frigid and unforgiving Coerthan winter.

Upon regaining his senses, the full might of the Coerthan winter’s welcome committee was brought to bear. The immediate greeting came in the form of harsh, icy winds slapping him in the face with the intensity of a direct uppercut from Titan. Somewhere in this blasted, glacial waste was a Primal – summoned from Twelve-know-who and very likely in the process of causing immeasurable mass destruction. The insurmountable cold had to play second fiddle to the task of putting this new summoned threat down.

As he traipsed through a clearing flanked by looming cliffs, Thancred spotted a familiar face, the sight of which immediately inspired nothing less than an almighty cackle. Before him stood a tall Elezen man – his low-neck, sleeveless black gown stretched down to his toes and contrasted beautifully with the largely undisturbed snow around him.

“Urianger,” Thancred cried out, no doubt pleased to see a stalwart Scion colleague willing and able to assist him with this endeavour, “did you not at the very least think to dress up appropriately for a sojourn to Coerthas of all places?”

“C-c-cold? N-n-nay, I feel nary a thing…Nary a thing,” stuttered the Elezen man in response, shivering with the intensity of a Mom Bomb about to blow, “m-mayhap I was too enthralled with mine arcane t-t-tarot readings that when I was made p-p-privy to the p-presence of a Primal in Coerthas I c-c-countenanced not the necessity to weareth appropriate garments for such a relentless c-climate.”

“Then perhaps we should hasten our arrival to the scene of the carnage by running through this godsforsaken snow,” chortled Thancred, “maybe we’ll actually warm up along the way and stave off hypothermia.”

----------------------------------------------

“Godsdammit!”

Alisaie Leveilleur heaved herself with a pained grunt from the ground – the imprint of her face freshly stamped on the snow after a glorious faceplant. After wiping flakes of snow from her face and torso, she feverishly glanced around to find her Red Mage rapier, though the ear-piercing roar of the Primal afforded her no such time or luxury.

“HO, HO, HO. MERRY STARLIGHT CELEBRATION,” the rotund Primal effusively clamoured. Its gaze turned to Alisaie and levitating just above its sizeable-gloved left hand was a prodigious wrapped present in the rough shape of a cube.

“THOU ART ESPECIALLY NAUGHTY THIS YEAR. I, THE STARLIGHT PATRIARCH, WILL REWARD THINE PERSISTENT REBELLIOUS STREAK WITH A MOST APPROPRIATE GIFT THIS SEASON!”

The shimmer of the rapier from the weak sunlight barely piercing through the dull grey clouds above caught Alisaie’s peripheral vision. She hurriedly threw her body at the direction of the glimmer just as the abominable Starlight Patriarch hurled the wrapped present towards her with preternatural strength. Alisaie’s fingers scarcely grasped the handle of her rapier when a searing heat to her right impacted the snow and threw her straight into a rock face.

“AS THE PATRON SAINT OF THE STARLIGHT CELEBRATION, MY DUTY IS TO ADMINISTER JUDGEMENT. THE WELL BEHAVED CHILDREN SHALL ENJOY GIFTS MOST SPLENDID AND MUNIFICENT.”

Alisaie could only grit her teeth as she hastily threw a Vercure spell on herself to mitigate and recover some of the damage she had sustained from this bizarre Primal’s generous holiday spirit.

“WHEREAS THE NAUGHTY CHILDREN WILL NEVER AGAIN MISBEHAVE.”

This time, Alisaie found herself confronted with an entire Starlight tree’s worth of thoughtfully wrapped presents – no doubt all containing some of Eorzea’s hottest and most in-demand gifts for this holiday season. And they were all for her. How lucky indeed. Before she could counter with an array of her own spells, a volley of fireballs thundered from behind her head and incinerated the presents before Alisaie could open them herself.

“Honestly, Alisaie, I simply cannot keep my eyes off you for more than ten seconds before you run off on your own to solo a dangerous opponent,” said a stern, albeit comforting voice.

Though she was loath to admit so, Alisaie was genuinely relieved by the sight of Y’shtola sassily striding down a hilly knoll towards them – her sorceress staff already sizzling after that display of Fire IV spells.

“I can look after myself, you know,” Alisaie huffed. Now fully on her two feet once again without stumbling, she twirled her blade and aimed it straight at the lumbering Primal before her. “And I’ve had enough of this rabble. Come on!”

The bearded Patriarch discarded all pretence of festive fervour and simply elected to charge like a mad bull at the pair. In a characteristically fashionable manner, Thancred seemingly materialised from nowhere to impede the Primal’s advance with his Gunblade. This afforded Y’shtola and Alisaie the opportunity to bring forth the heavy artillery. Y’shtola simply dropped an erupting volcano’s worth of fireballs on the Patriarch while Alisaie conjunctively responded with her Limit Break. With cartridges fully loaded into his Gunblade, Thancred deigned to finish the job by vertically bisecting the summoned creature from neck to groin. And by shooting its head off for safe measure.

“NOOOOOO. WITHOUT ME, WHO WILL DELIVER THE PRESENTS AND ADMINISTER JUDGEMENT ON THE NAUGHTY CHILDREN?” howled the Starlight Patriarch as his physical form disintegrated into dissipating aether.

“Hast thou vanquished the Primal already?”

A particularly haggard Urianger finally staggered into the scene, looking like he had incurred every possible status ailment debuff known to man.

“I did perchance espy the Primal before it was slain,” said Urianger, “but whence did this Starlight Patriarch come? Who summoned him and how?”

Before Thancred, Alisaie or Y’shtola could respond with suggestions, the newly earned serenity of the scene was quickly shattered by the sound of dozens of hoarsely shrieking and upset Ishgardian children making their way towards the scene of the carnage. By the sound of it, the children were clearly not too pleased by the fact that the Scions had just murdered a loving giver of Starlight Celebration presents in cold blood.

“You killed the Starlight Patriarch!”

“You are all terrible people!”

“YOU RUINED THE STARLIGHT CELEBRATION FOREVER!”

“Now no one will get any presents this year!”

“What in the Twelve?” cried Y’shtola as they looked at the faces of a myriad of furious children all in festive garb and wielding…what looked like crystals in her palms?

“Preposterous,” murmured Thancred, “you can’t mean to say that these children somehow acquired all these crystal shards and collectively wished to literally summon a Primal facsimile of this Starlight Celebration Patriarch.”

“I have heard tales about this peculiar annual tradition in Eorzea before Alphinaud and I came over from Sharlayan,” said Alisaie, “it is said that every year, children would wake to see presents around a tree purportedly gifted to them by a benevolent but unseen soul. Misbehaving children on the other hand would be bestowed coal, believe it or not. That said, the Primal seemed determined to turn us into coal.”

“We’ve not been getting presents anymore,” lamented one boy, “we used to, but ever since everything changed in Ishgard, all the grown-ups have been so, so busy and…I think the Starlight Patriarch is very busy as well. So busy that he hasn’t had the time to make and give us presents anymore…”

“Yeah,” interjected a girl, “when we asked the grown-ups if the Patriarch would find time to give us Starlight presents again this year, they told us that maybe the Patriarch retired or…doesn’t want to do his job anymore.”

“But why? Why would he give up doing the job?” cried another boy, “I don’t get it. What’s the point of the Starlight Celebration if we don’t get presents anymore? That’s why we wished and wished and wished so very hard to bring him back and we did. Then you killed him!”

“Please, calm thyselves,” said Urianger. Taking into account how much he dwarfed over the children, he kneeled to maintain level eye contact with them.

“The Starlight Celebration is not merely about attaining presents and materialism. Verily, what thou hast forgotten is the importance of the holiday as a time to reflect, be thankful, look forward to the year ahead and to spendeth time at hearth and home with family and friends. It is true indeed that the grown-ups are all busy helping to rebuild Ishgard and perhaps the same ought be said for the real Starlight Patriarch. They also requireth thine support too, so mayhap the true spirit of the holiday is to spend and cherish this quality time with the company of thine family and loved ones.”

There was considerable muffled chatter and rumination amongst the children following Urianger’s attempt to connect with them. To the Scions, it looked as though – against all odds – their awkward Elezen comrade had somehow indeed got through to the children of Ishgard.

“RUBBISH!” howled one of the children, “STARLIGHT CELEBRATION IS ABOUT PRESENTS ONLY. WE’RE BRINGING BACK THE PATRIARCH!”

Just like that, the crystals in their palms all began to glow once again.

Merry Starlight Celebration!

- - - - - - - - - - - -
🎄 ENTRY #6 - What if Shinra found Santa instead of Jenova?​

“What happened to Santa, Reeve?” cried a tearful Marlene as she waved a photograph beneath Reeve’s face. In the image, Reeve was captured busily constructing Santa’s reindeer.

The former Urban Development director’s jaw dropped and he stood in still silence, like a broken toy. For a few agonising seconds it was unclear if this really was Reeve, or if Cait Sith had worn a Reeve decoy again, so explosively had this question knocked him back. All the same, he knew this day was bound to come eventually.

“You are sure?” asked the toy-master as he glanced towards the doorway.

After receiving an affirmative nod from Barret, Reeve, with a sigh and a smile, knelt beside Marlene and pressed into her palm a little figure of the popular canine hero Stamp. The child smiled at her new poodle toy, pocketed it, wiped her cheeks, and then looked at Reeve expectantly. Reeve closed his eyes and began his tale.

“You might think, seeing me like that, that Santa is a hoax, but let me tell you this: Santa was once as real as you and I.”

Reeve peeked at Marlene to check that she was paying attention, and then continued.

“Far, far to the north there lies a frozen region called the Knowlespole. There it is Christmas all year round! Thousands of years ago a people lived in harmony with the Planet, receiving her gifts and giving back in return. From this, the spirit of Christmas was born.”

“And Aerith is one of them! Is that why she is so kind?” interjected Marlene.

“That’s right!” responded Reeve whilst snapping his fingers. “Aerith is the last descendant of the Cetra. Long ago, Santa was one of them too, and his message resonated with the very heart of the Planet itself. Well, a long while later, President Shinra, in his ill-advised hubris, had his scientists seek out the Cetra in the north. One day they found an ancient Cetra: an old man with a great, bushy beard and a rotund belly.”

“Santa!” cheered Marlene with uncontainable excitement.

“Uh-huh! After a lengthy debate about whether to excavate deep in the crater as well, the Shinra scientists packed up and took their Cetran home for study. The specimen was named Santa, and DNA was harvested for Shinra’s SOLDIER program. These Mako and Santa-infused SOLDIERs proved invaluable for top secret military missions. They could fit through tight spaces, were great craftsmen, and they could grant animals the ability to fly. Their only problem was their unnatural appetite, and since their mass-desertion this trait now shows more than the rest!”

“I like their beards!” yapped Marlene.

“Yes!” laughed Reeve. “Any attempts to trim those stupendous face-hedges are as fruitless as hosting a Christmas dinner near a flock of Harpies. The reason SOLDIERs have the beards is because of Santa’s DNA, but not many know this. Sephiroth, he with the finest silver beard of them all, one day learned the truth. Seven years ago, whilst investigating the reactor at Nibelheim, he found the Santa specimen there inside a tank, tubes plugged into it, sapping the body of its special magic like a child sucking the sherbet off a lolly. It was then that Sephiroth realised: Shinra had stolen Santa for profit.”

“What?! S-s-Santa?” blubbered Marlene. The child’s eyes might as well have metamorphosed into red materia, for it seemed as if Leviathan’s tsunami was threatening to roll down her face once more. Reeve hastily looked in the direction of the doorway and spied Barret—wearing a furrowed frown and with eyes more ferocious than a Behemoth slapped with a cactus—gesturing with a cutthroat motion at him.

“Uhhh… I mean, Santa is never truly gone!” squeaked Reeve before composing himself. “Sephiroth shut himself in the basement of the Shinra Mansion, burying himself in its books, smothering himself in an avalanche of Knowlespole lore. Not one person could convince him to emerge from his self-imposed prison of snow-based scholarship. ‘Am I…. A gift-giver?’ Sephiroth asked, but the silent pages uttered no response, no advice, and no encouragement. The knowledge of the Knowlespole could only be ingested by his ravenous eyes as he chewed through word after word.”

“Did he find answers?!” squawked Marlene impatiently, watching with intent as Reeve stood up to act out the moment. Reeve picked up a book from his own desk, held it out with his right hand, and held his left hand out to the sky. After clearing his throat, Reeve continued his story.

“And then Sephiroth maniacally boomed out his revelation: ‘It is my destiny to bring people gifts… SANTA IS NO MORE! I MUST BE THE NEXT SANTA!’ And on that day Santa was, in a way, reborn.”

“Yaaaay!” exclaimed Marlene as she clapped her hands, dropping the photograph as she did so.

“Sephiroth fashioned himself a red suit out of the fabric from a cape belonging to a guy sleeping in a coffin in the adjacent room. That’s right! Uncle Snorehead Vincent himself had a shock when he awoke some years later! Thus prepared, Sephiroth skipped outside, flung open the heavy doors of the Shinra Manor and hollered at the top of his lungs: ‘Their hearts will burn with joy! Ho ho ho ho!’ And they did. Sharply, the residents of Nibelheim each received their first gift. Sephiroth enchanted some local chocobo livestock to pull a sleigh and he became a new Santa.”

“I can’t believe that Sephiroth is Santa!” laughed Marlene.

“Indeed! You get it! Last Christmas, when Aerith was showing us the Forgotten Capital, not far from the original Santa’s home, Sephiroth jumped from his sleigh and poked Aerith in the back with a giant candy cane! ‘Ho ho ho! Merry Christmas, Aerith!’ he guffawed jovially before flipping back onto his sleigh as Aerith whooped and squealed with delight.”

“No way!” gasped Marlene, her countenance emulating a cactuar receiving a surprise birthday party. Reeve knelt down next to Marlene again and picked up the photograph from the floor.

“He could never stay long back then, unfortunately. President Shinra ruled Sephiroth to be an enemy of the state, spreading harmful lies about him in order to discourage people from engaging with this Santa. You see, my former bosses at Shinra were greedy, and they wanted exclusive ownership of the idea of Santa, recognising the profit which could be made from him. Which is where a skilled toy maker like me came in. I was hired to become Shinra’s Santa, flying on a sleigh pulled by the toy reindeer in this photograph you just found. Every Christmas I toured all of Midgar with all of the latest gadgets and gizmos and Shinra-owned products on the back of my vehicle. And it was all good fun, sure. But I, Shinra’s Santa, only represented their commercial Christmas; Sephiroth’s Santa represented the true spirit of Christmas itself!”

“Did… Did you two ever fight?” Marlene asked with hesitant caution.

“Fight Sephiroth? By Shiva, no!” laughed Reeve. “Sephiroth always gave Shinra’s troops the slip, and he never harmed them. In fact, he used to leave them presents! Every year, without fail, President Shinra himself used to receive an angel for his tree: a gift which the tyrant annually hurled from the top of his office, and sneered at the thought that it might hit one of the peasants below on the head. When your daddy and his companions brought down the Shinra corporation, I myself resigned my festive duties and left Sephiroth alone to do a better job than I ever could.”

“The Planet regained its spirit and Santa, then?” enquired Marlene.

“In a way, Marlene, and to answer your original question: what happened to Santa? Santa lives on in all of those who carry his legacy. And Sephiroth embodies it better than anyone!”

“This is so cool, Reeve!” yelled Marlene as she skipped on the spot. Reeve rose to his feet and shepherded her towards her father at the door.

Barret firmly placed his hand on Reeve’s shoulder and nodded with approval as the trio passed into the cosy comfort of the living room. Nanaki was curled up in front of the fire as Tifa hung up her stockings from the mantelpiece, desperate not to wake him. Yuffie, taking her chance, slipped a few baubles from the tree into her pocket.

The festive peace was disturbed by a ring at the door, followed by an enthusiastic triple tap on the window. Cloud roused himself from the couch, slipped on his chocobo slippers and scuffled towards the door. Opening it, he found himself face-to-face with Sephiroth, who came armed with a delicately-wrapped piece of fruit, smirking knowingly.

“Merry Christmas, Cloud. Shall I give you dis pear?!”

Once again, a wide range of interpretations of the theme. They all bring something different to the table! Some end with moral lessons. Others have suspicious cliffhangers.

Santa a being primal is great idea.
I voted for that (entŕy 5) because it is a wonderful concept and consistent with the world lore (yes, the Saint of Nymeia is said to be Godbert in-game but the game does allow for regional mythical/cultural variations in stories like this: Primals are generated through thought/wish power, not reality!). And also I voted for it because the fact that it didn't have any votes until mine wasn't right!

Democracy has spoken and based on the results, the ancient Greeks who invented the concept should feel very pleased with themselves. Because how much more festive can you get than with a story where nearly everyone is horribly betrayed and murdered? Belated Merry Christmas! 🎄

CONGRATULATIONS TO ENTRY #4 (CHRISTMAS AMONG US) WHICH WAS WRITTEN BY NONE OTHER THAN Miko! 🎉

And of course, our runner-up entry is #2 (A Whopper Christmas, innit!) is by none other than Dionysos, a man who is so accurate with his depictions of both Adam and I that I might seek to file a restraining order on him.

Entry #1 (The Grinch of Cats) - Soulcorruptor
Entry #2 (A Whopper Christmas, innit!) - Dionysos
Entry #3 (The Red Coat Makes the Man or Sin Comes to the North Pole) - Ilyena
Entry #4 (Christmas Among Us) - Miko
Entry #5 (The Starlight Patriarch) - a room full of monkeys with typewriters
Entry #6 (What if Shinra found Santa instead of Jenova?) - Dionysos

Thank you so much to everyone who submitted an entry and who have voted. Come back in 12 months and let's do this again! Maybe there will be more grisly yuletime murders next year?

On behalf of everyone on the FFF Staff I'd like to apologize to the entirety of the FFF Staff.

:tehe:

You know, number 2 makes me feel special. So special that I don't know whether to sue for Libel or pitch it to Disney+ as a remake of the Santa Clause!

I'm glad the fact I'm an oddball has given at least two people some Christmas joy! I knew Dan wrote this as soon as I saw my Dialogue - Dan is the man and the king of Adamism knowledge.

Thanks for running this - it's been awesome to read each story! I genuinely did enjoy them all with #4 being a specifically unique concept that just floated my boat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back