Veteran
Gil
Rinoa Heartilly
Squall Leonhart
Tifa Lockhart
Jenova
Moogle
Cactuar
No, for real, though. I was so annoyed when Tseng was revived in Advent Children. People say he never died in the original, but he did. People cite the Icicle Lodge scene where Elena says "You messed up my boss" as the correct translation instead of "you did in my boss", but that still doesn't mean Tseng lived. I mean, if Tseng lived wouldn't he had told Elena the truth? But instead:

Elena
Cloud... huff... wheeze.
I won't let you go any further!

Cloud
What's down there?

Elena
It'sa SE-CR-ET.
It really doesn't matter! But you really got guts doin' my boss in like that!

Cloud
You mean Boss...... Tseng? That wasn't us. Sephiroth did it.

Elena
No! Don't think you can fool me, liar!

Cloud
I'm not lying... it was Sephiroth.

Elena
Don't try to act innocent. I'll never forget it!!

As you can see, Elena hasn't spoken to Tseng or else she'd know what happened to him. The fact that Tseng hasn't told her that it was Seph proves he didn't make it out of the Temple.

I hate the compilation and I'm glad it's going bye-bye :pooley:

I don't think it really matters in the grand scheme of things. His impact beyond the point where he dies/doesn't die is so negligible that he could've turned into a woman and rebuilt sector seven, before opening Seventh Heaven back up again, and it wouldn't make a difference to anything or anyone.

And that's what I like to believe he did, lol. It's officially canon now; Tseng is now Tsifa.

ohhh the joys of the very poor translation in FFVII. It is hard to know what actually happened. I mean if we take it at face value then Aerith and Tsang knew each other when they were both kids even though we clearly see him a bit older in a flashback with Aerith being a kid. More than likely he could have survived the events, granted not sure how...then again Sephiroth survived a huge fall from a mako reactor and Cloud and Tifa survived falling into the lifestream... Video game magic I say!

Having Tseng about just to act as deus ex machina and save Rufus in Advent Children was a bit of cheap fan service. That film decided that it needed to include as many characters from the original game as possible, regardless of whether it made sense or not...

It's hard to tell if it was really intentional for Tseng to be taken as dead in FFVII, but he ought to be. In my opinion it works better for the narrative and has greater impact. An injured Tseng was able to gather sympathy from the player who no longer considered him a big bad threat, just simply working for the other side. The Turks weren't necessarily evil, they were just the secret service of a powerful mega corporation (which had questionable morals and declining respect for its peoples and planet). Tseng being vulnerable and dying helped the player recognise the greater threat of Sephiroth.

Seeing Elena and the other Turks mourn for Tseng also shows their human side and helps to develop them as characters too.

Cait Sith's sacrifice at the Temple of the Ancients was sad for a few moments, but immediately made irrelevant by the appearance of Cait Sith Mark II less than 5 minutes later. If Tseng died at the Temple of the Ancients then that would have been one sacrifice which did mean something. It was a good and fitting death for the character.

Having Tseng about just to act as deus ex machina and save Rufus in Advent Children was a bit of cheap fan service. That film decided that it needed to include as many characters from the original game as possible, regardless of whether it made sense or not...

It's hard to tell if it was really intentional for Tseng to be taken as dead in FFVII, but he ought to be. In my opinion it works better for the narrative and has greater impact. An injured Tseng was able to gather sympathy from the player who no longer considered him a big bad threat, just simply working for the other side. The Turks weren't necessarily evil, they were just the secret service of a powerful mega corporation (which had questionable morals and declining respect for its peoples and planet). Tseng being vulnerable and dying helped the player recognise the greater threat of Sephiroth.

Seeing Elena and the other Turks mourn for Tseng also shows their human side and helps to develop them as characters too.

Cait Sith's sacrifice at the Temple of the Ancients was sad for a few moments, but immediately made irrelevant by the appearance of Cait Sith Mark II less than 5 minutes later. If Tseng died at the Temple of the Ancients then that would have been one sacrifice which did mean something. It was a good and fitting death for the character.
I don't really have much to say other than I completely agree with you. Advent Children felt like a "remember these characters" type of fanservice and ruined the impact of the original game, at least in areas like this.

good post, man.

I remember crying(don't judge me) as Cait Sith was walking towards the floating temple, and was making his final speech. Then once I seen another Cait Sith appear I really didn't care. Advent Children(as well as the other spinoffs) did nothing but completely fuck the narrative and the storyline imo. CC was fine because it told about Zack and it allowed you to learn more of his backstory. But AC? Complete shit show.

Gave away Advent Children for about $5 to a friend and don't miss it one bit lmao. It's just " fan service " the movie, and showing off "flashy " fights and graphics while than actually trying to tell a decent narrative and trying to put effort into a sequel.

SE stood around in an office one day, and asked: " how do we get more money "? " How can we con fans, so we can get more money ? " and they all replied with Advent
Children, DOC, and Crisis Core, and laughed.

Tseng may have died, but you need to remember: This is Shinra we are talking about, they have cloning technology, for all we know all of the turks in AC except Reno/Rude could be clones, after all you are meant to believe elena and tseng died to the remnants earlier in the film anyway before they show up to save rufio. perhaps they did, and then its actually clones that turn up to save rufio from the remnants, perhaps even clones that learnt from their predecessors mistakes like some kind of learning computer program, where each clone is slightly improved based on the mistakes of the previous one

Back