Votes: 4 21.1%

Votes: 2 10.5%

Votes: 1 5.3%

Votes: 1 5.3%

Votes: 4 21.1%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 5 26.3%

• Total voters
You know how with a pair of batteries, when you put both their positive or negative sides together they repel, and when you put one's negative side against the other's positive side, they attract and stick? Well, I think it's the same thing with two people in a relationship, although I can't really say for sure since I haven't been in that kind of relationship myself, yet. 😶

I feel like the 'opposites attract' concept is really up for debate anymore. I think in some cases some opposites do attract - ideally, what one person lacks the other makes up for, and vice versa - but if you have two completely different personalities it may not work out the same.

I think in terms of FFX that Tidus & Yuna work out because that's what the developers/writers intended, but in a real world I'd like to think that Yuna would find Tidus' behavior a bit obnoxious and a hindrance to her own personal growth. I think that during the game they would get along great - they have a common interest in terms of their fathers, etc., but at the end of the day (or in this case game) I don't think that would be enough to make their relationship last long-term, not without a lot of issues coming up in any case.

I can visualize Tidus being a really messy dude :cool:

Oh, and I've actually considered maybe writing a fanfic involving a characterized version of me trying (and failing) to win Yuna over, and Tidus being greatly annoyed by that, with me and him maybe at one point arm-wrestling each other to see who's gonna get her, lol. 😅 But I dunno, that'll probably never happen...it might turn out to be really corny, juvenile and stupid, idk.

You do whatever you feel like you want to do, even if it is corny! I found a fanfic I physically wrote out years ago, one that I poured my tiny-brained heart and soul into, with several hours worth of time and effort, that I just ended up burning in our backyard ~<20 years later. I actually really enjoyed writing it when I was younger, but I still burned it anyway beacuse it needed to be burned. I'd do it all over again though! Both writing it and burning it 🔥

I liked their relationship and they had certainly been through a lot together. As cruel as it might make me seem, I think the main thing I like about them is the tragic nature of their story arc. Yuna had been willing at first to sacrifice herself for others until Tidus helped convince her to break the cycle. Meanwhile it transpires that Tidus is a dream and must fade into nonexistence once their objective has been completed. Their time together is brief (Until FFX-2, of course…).

The plot of the original game works out quite nicely when you consider that Tidus was designed to represent the sun (tiida being a word for sun), and Yuna represents the moon. These celestial objects are on different paths. As the moon rises the sun is already disappearing below the horizon (‘dying’ or fading into nonexistence). Yuna can get close enough to taste Tidus or feel his warmth as he vanishes, but she can never be with him. Again, until FFX-2 undid that.

I think the ending of FFX is one of the most heartbreaking endings in a Final Fantasy game, and it works because of the relationship of Yuna and Tidus. However, the actual romance side of things I can’t really comment on. It has been so long since I actually played the game and I can't remember the ins and outs of it. I bet some of their conversations are really corny in hindsight (although I will defend the infamous laughing scene until the shoopufs come home). Then again, the corniness can be quite endearing in its own way.

Perfect? Probably not. But it made a lovely, tragic story and can make you think about life.

Isn't there an audio drama that takes place after X-2??

There was an audio drama!

I have never listened to it or had any real access to it (since I don’t speak Japanese). I believe there might be some fan-dubs or subtitled versions out there.

I couldn't tell you exactly what happens in it, but when it was first released there were a lot of people who translated parts of it and claimed that it contains a scene in which Tidus kicks a bomb thinking it to be a blitzball. He is blown up and his head falls off. Something like that. It became a bit of a meme, but I'm not so sure now if it is an accurate translation of what actually happened as I scanned the synopsis and found no mention of that scene. Maybe there were multiple dramas and I'm finding the synopsis of the wrong one.

But if there is truth to that being in the story then, in a way, Tidus becomes the sun since his blonde head is all that remains.

dqN0lBx.png

Last edited:
There was an audio drama!

I have never listened to it or had any real access to it (since I don’t speak Japanese). I believe there might be some fan-dubs or subtitled versions out there.

I couldn't tell you exactly what happens in it, but when it was first released there were a lot of people who translated parts of it and claimed that it contains a scene in which Tidus kicks a bomb thinking it to be a blitzball. He is blown up and his head falls off. Something like that. It became a bit of a meme, but I'm not so sure now if it is an accurate translation of what actually happened as I scanned the synopsis and found no mention of that scene. Maybe there were multiple dramas and I'm finding the synopsis of the wrong one.

But if there is truth to that being in the story then, in a way, Tidus becomes the sun since his blonde head is all that remains.

No, you're getting it all wrong. The audio drama actually WAS officially translated and dubbed into English for the release of the HD remaster of X/X-2; it was the NOVELLA that hasn't been officially translated to English, thus leading to there being an unofficial English translation available for fans to read.

Last edited:
No, you're getting it all wrong. The audio drama actually WAS officially translated and dubbed into English for the release of the HD remaster of X/X-2; it was the NOVELLA that hasn't been officially translated to English, thus leading to there being an unofficial English translation available for fans to read.

Ah, right. That shows how much attention I've been paying to it. I don't own the HD remastered version and I haven't yet sought the radio drama online.

The reason I mixed them up is because people often talk as if the audio drama contained the part that I described. And I remember people saying that the Tidus and bomb scene I described was a poor translation. Maybe that was the novella instead then and that explains why it doesn't match the synopsis. :argor:

Ah, right. That shows how much attention I've been paying to it. I don't own the HD remastered version and I haven't yet sought the radio drama online.

The reason I mixed them up is because people often talk as if the audio drama contained the part that I described. And I remember people saying that the Tidus and bomb scene I described was a poor translation. Maybe that was the novella instead then and that explains why it doesn't match the synopsis. :argor:
Yes, that Tidus and bomb scene is in the novella. Problem is, the novella was panned at every corner by Japanese fans in its original Japanese form...which leads me to believe that that part WAS probably there legitimately and was not a mis-translation in the unofficial English version. ☹

Last edited:
Hey, I like tuna! Especially when it's made into a delicious casserole!! :LOL: 😅 😉 😉

tenor.gif

Sounds like a dream dish!

I've also just noticed that there is a voting aspect for this thread. I think I'll go for 8. I can't vote 10 to make the romance 100% perfect for what is (in the original game at least) a tragic story, so 8 seems like a fair number to me.

They were definitely soul mates. Like the sun and the moon which their names represent.

Back