Build-A-Member
Accessory (Head)
FFXIV
Polyphemos Bromios
FFXIV Server
Moogle
Free Company
KupoCon
Since it has been discussed in our Discord server, why not create a thread about it?

Has anyone other than @Paddy McGee played The Quiet Man? Or maybe you haven't played it, but you have opinions anyway... Discuss it here!

I saw some of Adam's stream of the game and found it very surreal. Not only is the entire game unpolished, but the combat (which I had thought was going to be a fairly special feature in this game) seemed buggy and unfinished... The protagonist appears to teleport at times because there aren't many transitional animations.

At the same time I think the concept of a deaf protagonist (and having the player experience this by not hearing anything that is being said) is quite an interesting concept, but sadly it appears to be poorly executed here.

What do you think?

The biggest problem I had was that while the players experience of the events was muted, the main protagonist seemed to interact in conversation like he had no debilitation at all! Sure deaf people can Lipread but he seemed no different from the rest of the cast. Also, we play the game supposedly from his perspective yet we don't understand what people are saying to him, even when he does - So while the character we follow understands the dialogue and what's going on the player doesn't which makes for a massive disconnect. It really just didn't work for me.

I was sort of hoping for the next 'The Bouncer', a game which has intermixed combat segments with narrative cutscenes, while it did have this structure it was just very weak on all aspects.

I'll try it out again when the sound barrier has been lifted... then it may even be a more coherent and enjoyable experience.

Is this about William Hague? Y'know his speech about the quiet man turning up the volume. That speech was written by Julian Fellowes.

Back