The french Rebirth trailer says Aeris is actually Tifa

Serge

Gil
Cloud: "I saw you lying there. I figured it was too late."
Aerith: "Wait, what are you implying? That I died? That I'm some kind of imposter?"

In the french version, this line by Aerith is: "Tu veux dire que... tu crois que je suis morte ? Que je suis pas la même Tifa qu'à l'époque, c'est ça?"
("What do you mean? That I died? That I'm not the same Tifa as back then?")

It takes quite a stretch to explain this as a slip-up on Square's part. Aerith's french voice actor is the same as in Remake. She's no robot, she's an intelligent human being, so for her to say that line without correcting the script mistake, that's just beyond disbelief.

Cloud: "I saw you lying there. I figured it was too late."
Aerith: "Wait, what are you implying? That I died? That I'm some kind of imposter?"

In the french version, this line by Aerith is: "Tu veux dire que... tu crois que je suis morte ? Que je suis pas la même Tifa qu'à l'époque, c'est ça?"
("What do you mean? That I died? That I'm not the same Tifa as back then?")

It takes quite a stretch to explain this as a slip-up on Square's part. Aerith's french voice actor is the same as in Remake. She's no robot, she's an intelligent human being, so for her to say that line without correcting the script mistake, that's just beyond disbelief.

I've tried to follow the French version but I regretfully cannot speak French well enough (if at all, really) to determine with any accuracy which voice actress I am hearing during that line.

However, in the English version it is definitely Britt Baron (the English Tifa voice actress) speaking that line, and not Briana White (the Aerith voice actress). The voices are very distinct in the English version, in my opinion.

With the trailer seemingly showing aspects of the Nibelheim Incident flashback in Kalm, this line would appear to refer to the time Tifa was slashed in the chest by Sephiroth and bounced down the steps in Nibelheim's Mako reactor in the original game. This line could be the Remake's way of addressing her seemingly miraculous recovery without any lasting physical side effects after the Nibelheim Incident. (Unless it was more than that. Molosev has his theories.)

So in the English version at least it is meant to be Cloud explaining to Tifa how he thought she had died, and Tifa then responds with her quizzing him about whether that means he thinks she did actually die and that by extension she isn't the real deal. If the French version of the line was to be spoken by Tifa then it would make sense in the same way, as this scene isn't about Aerith. Perhaps the French voice actresses sound relatively similar, or perhaps the localisation team got the lines mixed up, but I guess the former might be true.

Last edited:
Okay, but that is definitely Tifa and not Aerith in that trailer.
They are considerably closer in range compared to their English counterparts. But Aerith's voice has a noticeably lighter timbre that just doesn't quite match with the voice in the trailer.

Looks like you're right. I've never played the english version of Remake, so when I saw the trailer, I thought that was Aeris speaking. (It's Tifa.) I still think they were more distinct in french.

I also think that the voices of Tifa and Aerith are pretty close in the French version. In this trailer it's mostly the last female line that I wasn't sure who to attribute to, but apparently it refers to a dialogue between Cloud and Aerith at the Gold Saucer. Indeed, when you know the original game, the context can help to understand the sequences. I find the English dubbing much better in general, I don't have the skills to appreciate the original version...

Back